• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor |OT| One Title to rule them all

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Funniest thing that happened to me was an Orc Captain who wanted in on a fight I had with another captain, I'm guessing he was thinking easy leveling or something. So we have our little introductionary clash of swords, as you do, and this happens within milliseconds:
- a hunter Orc misses me and hits the captain in the chest, cutting his HP in half
- having a 8x multiplier up, I initiate execute
- his little band of followers flee the scene

I laughed so hard, I had to pause the game. That was the fastest melee-encounter I have ever had.

Corpekata

Banned
I do like that Captains can show up during most actitives. One of the things I dislike about most open world games is how divorced from everything most missions and activites are so it's awesome to see that, yeah, I killed the Warchief's bodyguard but some other random Captain is patrolling a bit away from where I'd probably engage him so I can take care of him in the mission so he doesn't appear as a reinforcement.

I was about to kill a Captain when I got jumped by 3 other Captains... who called their followers to help them kill me... the fights get quite insane.

hbkdx12

Im 16+ hours in and i've
unlocked all the tiers to the upgrades. Unlocked the unlimited 20 second execution perk and about 3/4ths of the way for unlocked the unlimited stealth one. I"ve completed numerous vendettas and have alteast twice murdered all captains in the army before forcing time to advance so they repopulate.
All the while I''ve just completed the mission where they introduce you to warchiefs.

I love this game

Moff

is there any way to decapitate a captain? if I just use the combat finisher they get just stabbed sometimes, is it luck? I have one captain that keeps and keeps coming back, he is not hard but I'd like to finish him once and for all,

btw the combat in this game is so damn fluid, its incredible how fast the animations react to your input, absolutely smoothles and witthout delay in every situation. that really became clear in the 100 uruk arena. a lot better than batman in my opinion. it looks very impressive.

Unlocking new abilities is so immensely satisfying... every single point you spend opens up new gameplay. I just danced around the docks of Núrnen in one long combo that went 100+, chain shadow striking, draining, freeing beasts and executing as I went.

This game absolutely makes you feel like badass while keeping you in charge of your own gameplay at all times.

Unlocking new abilities is so immensely satisfying... every single point you spend opens up new gameplay. I just danced around the docks of Núrnen in one long combo that went 100+, chain shadow striking, draining, freeing beasts and executing as I went.

This game absolutely makes you feel like badass while keeping you in charge of your own gameplay at all times.

That shadow striking from enemy to enemy is so damn satisfying and the upgrades are one of the best things about this game, you feel powerful as heck, but if you make a wrong move you're still vulnerable. Going to a stronghold and destroying a bunch of Orcs is so damn fun.

is there any way to decapitate a captain? if I just use the combat finisher they get just stabbed sometimes, is it luck? I have one captain that keeps and keeps coming back, he is not hard but I'd like to finish him once and for all,

btw the combat in this game is so damn fluid, its incredible how fast the animations react to your input, absolutely smoothles and witthout delay in every situation. that really became clear in the 100 uruk arena. a lot better than batman in my opinion. it looks very impressive.

Wait till the health is very low, then use the execution move, this should decapitate the captain

Moff

Wait till the health is very low, then use the execution move, this should decapitate the captain

yes thats what I meant with combat finisher, the execution move. sometimes the get just stabbed. I think its random.

but apparently, even beheaded captains can come back, so who cares.

and another question, what exactly happens to interrogated captains, does he break their necks or what?
lower orks get stabbed after an interrogation, captains get their neck brocken all the time? why that difference?

junglist

Does anyone else feel like this gameis very similiar to

Mortal Komabat:Shaolin Monks / MK: Sub zero mytholoogy ?? or is it just me....

I was running around beating the crap out of orcs... but in the back of my mind it was screaming at me like I have played this game before..

Don't get me wrong. I really like this game.. but it feels very familiar.

but apparently, even beheaded captains can come back, so who cares.

I keep seeing this but it's never happened in my game - after the finisher, you see the Nemesis board shift and they're always removed.

If someone comes across this situation, what does the battle summary say? That the captain fled?

Some of these trophies are a bit spotty to unlock.

Trying to get Burning Vengeance, get my combo, put the beserker on fire then combo finish execute him.

No trophy.

I saw a video of someone using grog explosion to put them on fire, but grog explosions have been instakilling them for me.

Moff

I keep seeing this but it's never happened in my game - after the finisher, you see the Nemesis board shift and they're always removed.

If someone comes across this situation, what does the battle summary say? That the captain fled?

removed? dont they usually lie there dead for some time, until the next time shoft?
it says they are dead though, even if they return later.

Some of these trophies are a bit spotty to unlock.

Trying to get Burning Vengeance, get my combo, put the beserker on fire then combo finish execute him.

No trophy.

I saw a video of someone using grog explosion to put them on fire, but grog explosions have been instakilling them for me.

Grab them and toss them through a campfire.

removed? dont they usually lie their dead for some time, until the next time shoft?

Weird... could be a bug.

removed? dont they usually lie there dead for some time, until the next time shoft?

If you decapitate or explode their heads they are removed from the board, if you kill them by any other means they stay on the board, at least that's what has been going on in my game.

Dis3ngag3d

Unconfirmed Member
I wish there was a "restart mission" option. You fuck up once and not get the bonus objective or something, then you end up cancelling the mission, get spawned miles away and have to run back there just to start the mission again.

I know this isn't a perfect solution but in story missions (yellow icons) you can just die. You get to abandon or restart. It will resrart you where you begin the mission.

Only for story missions sadly so anything else you are just gonna have to accept it.

xBladeM6x

Just finished the game and
as interesting and cool as it was, I'm not sure how I feel when Talion said "It's time for a new ring". Like it's cool that they're setting up a new game, but I'm wondering how this fits into the overall cannon. Either way, I actually quite liked the story, just to see Sauron when he wasn't just a big hulking set of armor. Also the way he killed Calebrimbor was graphic as fuck.

ZeroX03

Banned
Oh my God the "Kill 20 Uruks in 2 Minutes" objective to draw out a war chief is hard. Especially when there's no explosives around and you need to force an alarm to even draw out that many in the first place.

olympia

I'm about 4 hours in and I'm having such a hard time killing the warchiefs. 2 of the four that I have to kill always call on giant a posse that's hard to handle.

Does anyone else feel like this gameis very similiar to

Mortal Komabat:Shaolin Monks / MK: Sub zero mytholoogy ?? or is it just me....

I was running around beating the crap out of orcs... but in the back of my mind it was screaming at me like I have played this game before..

Don't get me wrong. I really like this game.. but it feels very familiar.

this game is far cry, batman, assassin's creed all in one game

Biggest surprise of the year for me.

I bought it yesterday as I was like "fuck it I've just came back from a shitty job interview and want something new to play" and wow it's amazing. I'm just sat at work looking forward to being back at home and on it. I love that feeling.

Soooo fun. Loving the little stories that people are posting on here.

one of these chiefs has a crossbow that shoots poisonous arrows; tips for dealing with poison? it drains my health extremely fast and idk if I heal randomly or what.

AFAIK, there's a Dagger Epic Rune that makes you immune to poisoning.

?
Bow headshots never kill in one shot. Sometimes three arrows through the head don't kill a generic orc.

Charged headshots one-shot generic orcs AND named orcs with the "Vulnerable to ranged" weakness.

Corsick

Hospitality is an Orc's strong suit, you know:

7IYjyyG.jpg

Also, my band of Warchiefs is pretty tough. I haven't leveled them as much as I should but two level 19s is half decent for not investing much time in making sure they progress.

They finished Tarz off pretty well here on their own:

That feel of obliterating a Warchief and level 19 Legendary Captain who were terrorizing me for an hour and since level 5 respectively.....AT THE SAME TIME....THEN GUTTING 2 MORE CAPTAINS JUST BECAUSE THEY CAME TO THE WRONG NEIGHBORHOOD

iT6SwWhE.gif

PS: This game has the best stealth takedowns I've ever seen. The Brutal ones are so satifying. The one where you're hanging without a foothold is especially ridiculous.

0aiHIg.jpg

zS9QQp.jpg

My brother's game had a guy that kept coming back no matter how many times we killed him.

We thought it was a horrible bug.

Then we read his Motives.

"Believes he is cursed, and seeks out Talion for answers."

I wonder if Orc near-immortality in this game is explained in the plot, lol.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
That feel of obliterating a Warchief and Legendary Captain who were terrorizing me for an hour and since level 5 respectively.....AT THE SAME TIME....THEN GUTTING 2 MORE CAPTAINS JUST BECAUSE THEY CAME TO THE WRONG NEIGHBORHOOD

iT6SwWhE.gif

PS: This game has the best stealth takedowns I've ever seen. The Brutal ones are so satifying. The one where you're hanging without a foothold is especially ridiculous.

0aiHIg.jpg

zS9QQp.jpg

My personal favorite is the stab in the side, it ensures a kill, but it also ensures your victim suffers.

overcast

Told myself I would stop at 1 AM to get some sleep before school. It's 3. I fought these 4 captains that stuck together/nearby in a camp for a whole hour. They killed me three times before I got it down strategically (one of them also caught fire by accident :D )

HariKari

I'm about 4 hours in and I'm having such a hard time killing the warchiefs. 2 of the four that I have to kill always call on giant a posse that's hard to handle.

If they are vulnerable to stealth takedowns then that is really the optimal way. Find literally any perch above them and wait.

Lord Phol

I wonder if Orc near-immortality in this game is explained in the plot, lol.

I haven't seen it for myself, but someone mentioned earlier that it's explained in one of the lore texts. Something about the bodies of the dead being taken back to Black Hand and he does some kind of ritual. It's also mentioned in the game that Black Hand learned some necromancy from Sauron.

Loomba

How many different Orc bosses is there to kill in this?

Every picture I see posted is a different boss, so much variety; so cool.

EDIT: Mines dispatched now from Amazon, HYPE!

neorej

ERMYGERD!
How many different Orc bosses is there to kill in this?

Every picture I see posted is a different boss, so much variety; so cool.

EDIT: Mines dispatched now from Amazon, HYPE!

They get generated randomly, the only consistent bosses are the ones that are used in the story. It makes everyone's playthrough feel unique and it gives you stories to share. It's one of the best aspects of the game.

Kard8p3

My brother's game had a guy that kept coming back no matter how many times we killed him.

We thought it was a horrible bug.

Then we read his Motives.

"Believes he is cursed, and seeks out Talion for answers."

Oh man, that's hella cool. Time for Talion 'n Orc buddy cop show.

So, I've found that you can execute a lot of the captains if they are dazed with low health and on the ground and chop their heads off.

So far I've not had anyone that had their heads chopped off come back, and I've actually had a few Captains stay dead from just normal attacks so it seems like it's really random and based on stats/chance or something.

I ran into my first Legendary Captain that was pretty much immune to everything except wraith stun and followed by doing a flurry but if you tried to do any of the flurry combat finishers, he would actually counter and smack me around pretty bad and send me into Last Stand mode.

Good right? NOPE, this dude was an asshole and here's why:

I must've failed to kill him like at least 10 times, and the weirdest thing about this dude is that he doesn't kill people after he defeats them. So he'd give me a little speech right before he'd walk off and then Talion would get back up. MAN I'VE NEVER WANTED TO KILL SOMEONE IN A VIDEO GAME SO BADLY.

Well on the last and final fight where I killed him I found out by accident while running away to get him away from some of his dudes, while bow sniping some of his guards I ran into a pack of Ghuls and they swarmed me and his buddies.

Turns out he's terrified of them and turns green instantly and starts running away, so I wraith sprint after his ass and execute him, it was sooo goooood seeing Celebrimbor pop his fucking head into nothing.

Just beat it on the PS4. I noticed a lot of performance related drops when you're late game with a ton of dominated orcs. Just like Batman, you are a god by the end. It's fantastic. Now that the story is done I'm gonna dig in deep with the nemesis manipulation system. I beat the game with absolutely no combat icons at all and had a blast. The widely leave certain elements of the UI active to make tracking captains a bit easier. Not having the Orc awareness is great too, I can't imagine going back. It makes hunts way better.

Overall if you have a 3Gb card for PC, that's the better platform to play on. But I still had a blast with the PS4 version and will probably clear it and then go to PC version again. Great game. O, the story is atrocious btw, but it does have some genuine moments that I liked quite a bit. I can't wait for a sequel; and with all the apt comparisons to Batman and AssCree I can't wait for a sequel because in both instances with those series their sequels were immensely better than their predecessors. Great game.

EDIT: The music is incredible. Perfectly fits the setting and moods set during the game. Fantastic pacing and great use of "war" percussion rythms.

Smash88

Banned
So I'm kind of sad, the ability "Wraith Finisher", no longer lets you stick a sword in their head and chop it off like before, instead it just pops their heads. While this is satisfying as well, it will never compare to chopping their heads off and watching it fly through the air as you have crossed another captain off your kill list.

I wish there was a way to disable this, I had no idea it would take away one of the coolest finishers in the game.

If anyone finds a way to disable this or remove it, I would be extremely grateful. It's almost making me want to restart my game.

Top Bottom