• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor |OT| One Title to rule them all

Hixx

Second area looks awesome in the rain. In general it's just a much better looking area than the first.

Unfortunately I am already fairly bored of the game after just 8 hours or so, decided I'm just going to blast through the second half of the story. I don't really enjoy the combat (which surprises me as I adore Batman's) so there's not really a lot else in it for me.

BuddyL33

Neo Member
There is no "right" way. Do what you want. In the long run it will help you when you face them, as you will be aware of their strengths and weaknesses.

I get that there is no right way and that this came can be approached from so many directions. Was just curious if I was missing something as it's fairly easy to gather intel on the higher ups.

Another thing, when you die but not at the hands of a captain+, it shows something gains power when you respawn but it doesn't say what. I'm curious what gains power, the thing that killed you or something else?

Ateron

How's the performance on ps4, guys? Is it 1080p/30 fps? I'm kind of ashamed that I haven't been following this game at all, finally gave in and checked this thread and the gameplay videos and holy fuck, it seems amazing.Read some people saying it's 60fps, is that true? This game seems to be amazing and I'm pretty close to pull the trigger, backlog be damned

Bogeypop

Alright cool, thanks. Figured they were still immune to stuff even if they became feared

nWdsx5b.gif

Just encountered my first Combat Mastery warchief yesterday on accident and was pleasantly surprised after having just Storm of Urafel'd everything Captain and above for a while.(having Epic Runes that prolong its effect and recharge it faster is sweet) Wish they'd started throwing these guys at me sooner to make me start thinking about encounters rather than just hacking and slashing.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I managed to play, like, three hours of this back-to-back. So, that's something.

After completing the campaign and a lot of the side missions, I'm still missing some of the higher tier upgrades because there simply wasn't enough Exp to unlock them all. It's a shame because they would have been useful throughout the story.

I think this problem is due to how few story missions there are in general. Characters come and go too soon without a chance to explore then further.

My other gripe is that there are no worthwhile rewards for collectibles or weapon challenges, and thus no real incentive to complete them, especially once you've finished the campaign. Game play buffs and alternate skins as rewards would have been nice. I still want a Dirhael skin.

Despite all this I've enjoyed the game, I just wish there was more of it.

Vitor711

Second area looks awesome in the rain. In general it's just a much better looking area than the first.

Unfortunately I am already fairly bored of the game after just 8 hours or so, decided I'm just going to blast through the second half of the story. I don't really enjoy the combat (which surprises me as I adore Batman's) so there's not really a lot else in it for me.

I was feeling the same way until I got some upgrades. The Shadow Strike stuff has completely changed how I navigate the world. I don't have to rely on the (somewhat stiff) climbing mechanics anymore.

See that Orc in a tower half way across the area I'm in? Oh, he's got a green icon too? Stun shadow strike, instantly get transported to where he is and interrogate. I'm capable of clearing out half a dozen in a flash.

Hoping to come across some combat mastery captains soon because things are just too easy right now.

Moff

Yup. It's cause you have the head 'splosion upgrade. But captains can come back from the dead. And that makes no sense if you blew up their noggin.

It still looks weird though.

It really looks like a bug. I hope they fix that.

I'm pretty sure normal uruks still get stabbed in the head after an interrogation, though. but I will check chat later.

Kaversmed

It really looks like a bug. I hope they fix that.

I'm pretty sure normal uruks still get stabbed in the head after an interrogation, though. but I will check chat later.

You're right, looks lame. How was the kill animation on the captain before you had the Wraith Finisher ability?

Smash88

Banned
Yup. It's cause you have the head 'splosion upgrade. But captains can come back from the dead. And that makes no sense if you blew up their noggin.

It still looks weird though.

It does it for all captains, upgrade or not.

I don't have the upgrade and it does that for only captains.

It definitely looks like some sort of bug.

You're right, looks lame. How was the kill animation on the captain before you had the Wraith Finisher ability?

See above. It does it if you have or don't have the upgrade.

I'm loving the game so far.

However, I'm yet to see any of the nemesis system coming into play yet. I'm not hugely far in, I don't have brand yet. I've
gone far enough with Gollum to find out who Celebrimbor is, and I've run off by myself and killed maybe 6 or 7 captains, 2 or 3 elites and 2 warchiefs.

I've killed every captain I've come across - is there where I'm slipping up, should I be letting some get away? I've always executed, ground killed or interrogated them. No one's come back for me at all yet.

I do have a terrible memory so I dunno if the names/faces would necessarily ring a bell, but from what I saw in previews they would mention having met with me before in their intro banter, right?

That is strange, because I saw the Nemesis system within my first hour of play. Killed a captain with a sword to the face, he returns later with a scar and says "You gave me this scar on my face, now Im returning the favor". I was like..."woah".

I really hope single player depth like this trickles down into other games. This is exactly the kind of stuff I want to see in RPG's from now on. It really makes it MY world.

Couple that with the fact that the combat is intuitive but not just spammy and the traversal just works, and I am going to be wasting TONS of time with this one.

At the moment this is my totally unexpected GOTY.

Claude

Catalina's bitch
Damnit, for some reason Steam erased hours of my progress in this game. I had played for about 3-4 hours but Steam is saying my only save file is 30 minutes play time. Fun game, but holy damn that's a wet towel on my desire to play.

Same happened to me as well, except I lost over 8 hours. Gave me a sour taste in my mouth, but It's a fun game so I'll keep playing.

Bogmine

Neo Member
My my - im am so looking forward to recieving this game tommorrow. Maybe the "you need to finish strikes in Destiny" pull, will stop a Little :)

S1kkZ

How's the performance on ps4, guys? Is it 1080p/30 fps? I'm kind of ashamed that I haven't been following this game at all, finally gave in and checked this thread and the gameplay videos and holy fuck, it seems amazing.Read some people saying it's 60fps, is that true? This game seems to be amazing and I'm pretty close to pull the trigger, backlog be damned
6 hours in, solid 30 frames, no tearing.

Same happened to me as well, except I lost over 8 hours. Gave me a sour taste in my mouth, but It's a fun game so I'll keep playing.

Cloud save issue? Try disabling it (though I haven't had the issue myself and I've been switching back and forth between 2 different computers with the saves properly transfering each time)

BuddyL33

Neo Member
That is strange, because I saw the Nemesis system within my first hour of play. Killed a captain with a sword to the face, he returns later with a scar and says "You gave me this scar on my face, now Im returning the favor". I was like..."woah".

See I figured once you killed them they were dead and didn't come back.

Dispatched arrrrrgh this time tomorrow. Long time since I have been this hyped for a game!
I mean i was looking forward to destiny but that was more for getting to play with friends etc.
This is actually a game I am so pumped for :D

So Captains keep popping up endlessly correct? Is there a POWER cap that Captains cant exceed? Even after killing you?

Not very far into the story missions (just unlocked my first warlord) and one captain I've 'raised' since he was a level 4 is now capped at level 20. Not sure if that raises or if Warchiefs are higher or what.

valkyre

Not very far into the story missions (just unlocked my first warlord) and one captain I've 'raised' since he was a level 4 is now capped at level 20. Not sure if that raises or if Warchiefs are higher or what.

Thanks for that, I am really enjoying this game but all I do is hunt captains and I am afraid I am going to be way too powerful come story mission time... does the difficulty scale accordingly? Should I stop hunting down Orcs and Uruks and do a few missions in between?

Thanks for that, I am really enjoying this game but all I do is hunt captains and I am afraid I am going to be way too powerful come story mission time... does the difficulty scale accordingly? Should I stop hunting down Orcs and Uruks and do a few missions in between?

I've been switching between Captain hunting and doing the occasional story mission. The story missions don't seem to scale at all so if you want a challenge from them, you should likely tackle them all at once first. That said, either way the end game is going to be able hunting the warlords down so you are either tackling some of that now, or waiting to finish the story before doing it all.

valkyre

I've been switching between Captain hunting and doing the occasional story mission. The story missions don't seem to scale at all so if you want a challenge from them, you should likely tackle them all at once first. That said, either way the end game is going to be able hunting the warlords down so you are either tackling some of that now, or waiting to finish the story before doing it all.

Much obliged! Will start doing some story missions! :)

As someone who came in late on the hype (figured I would wait to bargain this one) I wanted to share my thoughts for anyone one the fence. Hint: HOOK IT TO MY VEINS!

To start, the game looks great and runs extremely smoothly so far. Seems like devs are finally starting to hit their stride with the new systems. I’ve only been in one part of the world so far, but Mordor actually looks cool and is dreary but not boring which had worried me.

The story seems like it is going to be standard revenge fair with some super Gollum / Celebrimdor mystery mixed in. The real madness is going to come from the nemesis system, which I will get to.

I’ve only just started, but the combat is super smooth and intuitive but not easy. I typically start off by scouting areas and picking off archers / ranged guys with my bow from distance and then using structures, bushes, and etc. to stealth takedown as many orcs as I can. It is also awesome to blast open a cage with a beast in it and watch them just rampage through the camp doing your job for you. I also unlocked a skill to ride the beasts, but have yet to pull it off. Once you get into a close fight it basically becomes a mix of pulling off stuns, counters, hits, dodges, and finishers. Very fluid and very fun.

Traversal works quite well too. Pretty much if it seems climbable / jumpable it is, and you really do want to stay above the fray a lot or you will get swarmed.

Now for the best part. The nemesis system is amazing and it is going to ruin games that don’t have similar interactive depth from this point on. As you battle the orcs and uruks you can interrogate them to learn more about the leaders and their hierarchy which is all shown via a sort of chessboard menu. You learn their ranks, strengths, weaknesses, alliances, and etc. which all plays out as you play. This captain is immune to stealth and ranged weapons but afraid of fire? Wait till he is near a fire and explode it then watch him panic and dominate. Get owned by an orc and die? Next time you see him he will literally smack talk you about how he dominated you. Or if you meet someone accidentally in the open world and have to flee because you are overwhelmed, they will talk about how you are a coward and they will gain rank amongst their army because they drove you off.

Long story short, what you do is actually reflected in the game world instead of the typical static world with you in it (think guards talking about how dragons possibly coming back in Skyrim right after you slay one in front of them).

A lot of the new franchises have been launching with potential this gen, but just sort of falling a short. (Destiny and Titanfall are both a blast but lack content and variety), but Shadow of Mordor is out of the gate sprinting.

TLDR – This is exceedingly fun and feels like the world is actually reacting to you!

Ateron

As someone who came in late on the hype (figured I would wait to bargain this one) I wanted to share my thoughts for anyone one the fence. Hint: HOOK IT TO MY VEINS!

To start, the game looks great and runs extremely smoothly so far. Seems like devs are finally starting to hit their stride with the new systems. I’ve only been in one part of the world so far, but Mordor actually looks cool and is dreary but not boring which had worried me.

The story seems like it is going to be standard revenge fair with some super Gollum / Celebrimdor mystery mixed in. The real madness is going to come from the nemesis system, which I will get to.

I’ve only just started, but the combat is super smooth and intuitive but not easy. I typically start off by scouting areas and picking off archers / ranged guys with my bow from distance and then using structures, bushes, and etc. to stealth takedown as many orcs as I can. It is also awesome to blast open a cage with a beast in it and watch them just rampage through the camp doing your job for you. I also unlocked a skill to ride the beasts, but have yet to pull it off. Once you get into a close fight it basically becomes a mix of pulling off stuns, counters, hits, dodges, and finishers. Very fluid and very fun.

Traversal works quite well too. Pretty much if it seems climbable / jumpable it is, and you really do want to stay above the fray a lot or you will get swarmed.

Now for the best part. The nemesis system is amazing and it is going to ruin games that don’t have similar interactive depth from this point on. As you battle the orcs and uruks you can interrogate them to learn more about the leaders and their hierarchy which is all shown via a sort of chessboard menu. You learn their ranks, strengths, weaknesses, alliances, and etc. which all plays out as you play. This captain is immune to stealth and ranged weapons but afraid of fire? Wait till he is near a fire and explode it then watch him panic and dominate. Get owned by an orc and die? Next time you see him he will literally smack talk you about how he dominated you. Or if you meet someone accidentally in the open world and have to flee because you are overwhelmed, they will talk about how you are a coward and they will gain rank amongst their army because they drove you off.

Long story short, what you do is actually reflected in the game world instead of the typical static world with you in it (think guards talking about how dragons possibly coming back in Skyrim right after you slay one in front of them).

A lot of the new franchises have been launching with potential this gen, but just sort of falling a short. (Destiny and Titanfall are both a blast but lack content and variety), but Shadow of Mordor is out of the gate sprinting.

TLDR – This is exceedingly fun and feels like the world is actually reacting to you!

As someone who barely knows anything about this game, and only saw a couple of videos half an hour ago, thank you for your impressions. This game really seems to be amazing and -at least for me - was totally unexpected. I'll see if I can grab a copy tomorrow.

Ricker

Please tell me that's real.

Probably lol...havent met him yet but some of the names are hilarious...

Ratbag initial quest took me a few tries and it seems the last part glitched a bit and did nothing so I had to kill him the hard way but I finally got the story going again...

Jobbs

Banned
Probably lol...havent met him yet but some of the names are hilarious...

Ratbag initial quest took me a few tries and it seems the last part glitched a bit and did nothing so I had to kill him the hard way but I finally got the story going again...

I hope Narug lives and makes it to the top of the chain. I want all the badguys commanded by a villain with manners.

Braag

Some of these captains are a pain in the ass to kill, they have invulnerability to pretty much everything.

I love this game! The nemesis system is awesome! I have killed this Skog Jaws dude three times now and he just comes back laughing. :D

Fee

regarding the ending...

I finished the game with 98% completion and i really enjoyed it, but
gameplay wise the final 2 "boss fights" were hugely disappointing, the second to last is basically do 3 stealth kills and the final is a very short quick time event. I guess the battle with your nemesis and the 5 war chiefs were there too but those sequences were over for me just as quick.

Top Bottom