• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor |OT| One Title to rule them all

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Here's a quick recap of my exploits last night.

I returned to Mordor for my second excursion with a clearer plan of what I wanted to do. I had defeated my nemesis, Golm the Shadow, as well as two others, Noslok the Looker, a crossbow loving jackass with a stupid helmet who has piggybacked himself up to Captain, and Baka the something or other, a combat master who also managed to raise his rep off of Golm's kills.

So I set out to clear the remaining three towers that I hadn't reached the night before, as well as seek out any artifacts and ithilium (or whatever it's called) I may come across. I then decided to attempt a sword challenge to better my sword's legend. This tasked me with eliminating trainees. I lure one out of the fortress and climb high to stealth kill him. After he was dead, I went into wraith world and noticed a red guy with a skull patrolling the trainees and coming to investigate the one I just killed. Curious, I pressed "R3" to tag him, and what do you know, it was Noslok the Looker, back from the dead, and just as ugly as ever.

I once again went to high ground, and waited for my moment. It came, and I lept down on top of Noslok, and he tossed me aside like I was nothing. He had picked up a new trick. Unfortunately for me, he also had a knack for calling reinforcements, and soon a new named Uruk, I'll call him "Baga the douche canoe," showed up to aid Noslok. "I can take these chumps," I arrogantly thought, despite the wave of trainees from the challenge, and new goons called by Noslok. I was handling them, utilizing the Triangle + Circle finisher to thin their ranks as best I could, and I was doing ok. Until Baka the something or other made a surprise resurrected appearance. I attempted to engage him in combat, but the fucker is now immune to direct attacks. No vaults, no attacks, no finishers. He is only vulnerable to stealth and explosions, and I am nowhere near a campfire.

I attempt to flee, but am hemmed in, and I fail the last chance because the camera was acting stupid. I die, and Noslok and Baka both rise even higher, and the newbie "Baga the douche canoe" becomes "Captain Baga the douche canoe."

I resurrect, and plot to take out Baga, as he's only Level 4, and doesn't have any important strengths after I get some intel on him. I track him down, and plan an infiltration route into his stronghold, and things are going well until he spots me, and calls for reinforcements. I decide fuck it and start to wail on him, until an unexpected guest appears: Golm the Shadow. He is now a Level 14 Elite Captain, and is out for blood. He is also pretty much invulnerable to everything, much like Baka. Speaking of Baka, it wasn't long until he showed up with reinforcements, including Noslok. So I now had 4 nemeses and a new Uruk all after me. I eventually managed to lose the pack, and take advantage of Noslok being separated from the group and killed him. Tiring of Golm's incessant meddling, I try to come up with a plan to finish him once and for all. I scanned the map, and saw that we were near a Graug den. I lured the group into the den. The Graug was in the back, hunched over. I waited for my nemeses to close in, then foolishly whacked the Graug with my sword (why I didn't use an arrow is beyond me).

Well, that got the Graug's attention. Unfortunately, I wasn't fast enough to clear its angry swipe, and it insta-killed me before my nemeses could engage. Needless to say, all my nemeses survived and leveled up, including Golm.

For the remainder of the night, I spent it systematically killing my nemeses, over and over again (they kept reappearing at inopportune times), in the hopes that I would finally end them. While I was freeing slaves, Golm and Baka showed up, both of them immune to everything but stealth finishers and explosions. Baka was sporting a nasty looking piece of glass or something in the side of his face. Golm was nice and burned from the last time I killed him. Fortunately for me, I was in a camp with plentiful campfires, so I spent the next few minutes running around, luring them close to the campfires or other exploding them. I once again killed them both. Sure, I needed the intel, but at this point, I want those fuckers dead.

I only died twice during that whole three hour play session, unlike the first night, where I died quite a bit.

Here's a pic of Golm:

i30ysSfpzlSmM.jpg

Your time is coming motherfucker...

EDIT: Although his reason for hunting me down does crack me up.

EDIT 2: I also forgot to mention that Noslok the Looker used EXPLODING CROSSBOW BOLTS. Ugh. Such a pain in the ass.

Heavily considering this for PS4 as I was a huge fan of AC: 2, Brotherhood, & Revelations but despised 3. I do have AC:4 on my PS4 but never really gave it that much of a chance because I hated the boat aspects, just too clunky for me.

This looks like it's right up my ally, only thing I'm worried about it is getting burned out halfway through. How is the optional stuff? Rewarding or very mundane?

DukeBobby

Managed to one-shot a Warchief during a last chance struggle. His level 18 captain, who I forgot to kill beforehand, was promoted on the spot but the fucker ran away.

I guess the pressure got to him. However, he didn't exactly have a lot to live up to.

Patroclos

Banned
I'm 68% on my in-game progress bar and while I've enjoyed it, I'm starting to get a bit tired of how repetitive the combat (which is the only thing in the game) is. The nemesis system is pretty cool, but it's hardly blowing my mind. It's a nice feature to throw onto this open world game with batman combat and a LOTR setting, but it's not some revolutionary change that makes the core gameplay fundamentally different.

Have to disagree here. The nemesis system is a sea change along the lines of regenerating health or ADS systems in FPS. Open world games now have an option to be your game and story rather than a game tied to a writer's story. It will be mimicked and used often in the future. One thing that really got my attention is the fact that they were able to include 2 stories within the game, your personal story and the game's story.

Imagine the original Crackdown's bosses using a system like this, Which reminds me, weren't they talking about using the cloud (for real using it, lol) for that game? You could bolt this system on so many games. The added immersion for the player fosters a much deeper sense of involvement in the world and most likely more of a commitment to the game.

I played an hour of Destiny Crucible last night and felt the desire to return to Mordor overwhelming. You see Montez the Mountain will not die. It was funny at first, but now I have thrown him off a cliff and turned his entire body bright white by burning him with wraith fire in our two most recent encounters. Now he has an overwhelming hatred for me and will stop at nothing to see me die. He is a tracker, he has become powerful enough that I have begun to fear him. Tonight it is him or me.

Patroclos

Banned
you know, having mostly played ps3/vita/3ds/wii u games for most of the year...

I've definitely died at least half a dozen times because i hesitate doing 'last stand' on the QTE button (playing on pc with gamepad).

Wish they just did what most games do these days in which they show the 4 face button layout and highlight the button to press...

Me too. I like it though. Makes the QTE harder. My biggest gripe with that mechanic has always been its ease.

Patroclos

Banned
Just bought this, GAF, have I made a wonderful decision? Didn't get any time to play at Eurogamer. PS4 version.

Maybe your best video game decision of the year. It's one of my 3 GoTY candidates as of now for sure.

Edit; Sorry, my bad, just woke up and was working my way throughout the thread, commenting and whatnot I didn't realize I was double posting. I'm used to the Destiny thread, don't ban me!

Onlythisfar41

Neo Member
Managed to one-shot a Warchief during a last chance struggle. His level 18 captain, who I forgot to kill beforehand, was promoted on the spot but the fucker ran away.

I guess the pressure got to him. However, he didn't exactly have a lot to live up to.

Yea one of the Warchiefs I took out this morning was vulnerable to stealth and it was a quick stealth drop from above for the kill. I'll take the easy ones where I can get them because there are certain more than enough hard fights in this game.

Also has anyone come across a character that was generated to have no spoken words, only creepy sniffing sounds and a high pitched giggle. Thats what one of my nemeses name Mozref was like. Would just sniff you a bunch of times and giggle and chomp his teeth. Creepy motherfucker. Glad I finally took him out after 5 tries.

MattyG

Banned
Yea one of the Warchiefs I took out this morning was vulnerable to stealth and it was a quick stealth drop from above for the kill. I'll take the easy ones where I can get them because there are certain more than enough hard fights in this game.

Also has anyone come across a character that was generated to have no spoken words, only creepy sniffing sounds and a high pitched giggle. Thats what one of my nemeses name Mozref was like. Would just sniff you a bunch of times and giggle and chomp his teeth. Creepy motherfucker. Glad I finally took him out after 5 tries.
Yeah, I ran into a captain like that. He just stood there snarling and biting. I can't remember if I killed him for good or not though.

Alright, I just finished the story missions. All in all, it took me a little over 20 hours mostly due to endless Nemesis-spawned distractions.

Yes, the story is very straightforward and the only real plot twist seems to contradict an important character arc:
The Tower makes a big deal out of the wraith lying to Talion that they're cursed and that he could release him at any time... but when Celebrimbor first appears to Talion he has no memory and doesn't know all his powers. So how is this a betrayal exactly? More than likely, he didn't even know he could do that right until the very end.

I did enjoy the presentation of the story with just the right amount of flashbacks and expository dialogue. Little quirks and dialogue details made simple side characters more interesting, particularly the
unspoken attraction between Lithariel and Talion

But ultimately, the Nemesis system just towers over everything else... it's the beating heart of the game and what will keep this in my Steam library for a long time to come. I have no doubt that this will be a big inspiration for future open world games. It may take a few years for developers to take the lessons on-board but we will see its influence eventually.

GG Monolith.

Saganator

Yes! I've had a couple creepy fuckers, too. There are at least a couple variations, one where they chomp, and another where they just smile and stare. As good as the dialog is in this game, those are my favorite.

Alright, I just finished the story missions. All in all, it took me a little over 20 hours mostly due to endless Nemesis-spawned distractions.

Yes, the story is very straightforward and the only real plot twist seems to contradict an important character arc:
The Tower makes a big deal out of the wraith lying to Talion that they're cursed and that he could release him at any time... but when Celebrimbor first appears to Talion he has no memory and doesn't know all his powers. So how is this a betrayal exactly? More than likely, he didn't even know he could do that right until the very end.

I did enjoy the presentation of the story with just the right amount of flashbacks and expository dialogue. Little quirks and dialogue details made simple side characters more interesting, particularly the
unspoken attraction between Lithariel and Talion

But ultimately, the Nemesis system just towers over everything else... it's the beating heart of the game and what will keep this in my Steam library for a long time to come. I have no doubt that this will be a big inspiration for future open world games. It may take a few years for developers to take the lessons on-board but we will see its influence eventually.

GG Monolith.

When I finished I thought Celebrimor lied about the memory loss and was just using the memory recovery as a device to manipulate talion and to convince him that Celebrimor is a good guy and they should work together.

But I also suppose it is possible that he had the memory loss but still had some motivation to use talion if not only to regain his memory but perhaps just to fight evil. Then later after he remembers exactly who he is, he continues to use talion for obvious reasons. I think the ending when he says "I thought you would want revenge" could really go either way, but I lean towards the first explanation.

Herne

My flatmate bought the game and I'm watching him play it atm. Does anyone know how to find the vision artifacts? He's just running around in wraith mode, having followed all these trails back and forth and he can't find anything.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
I got this fucking Orc named Shaka the singer and I hate him. He was anobody and became a captain while singing a damn song and killing me. Then I see him later and he has risen in the ranks by himself, shows up to fuck up my stealth mission and kill me again! All while singing a damn song about it. He ends up killing me 2-3 more times and is super powerful, becoming a war chief. I had enough of his bullshit and his vocal stylings..... The time was now to destroy him. I found him in a building stronghold and had to sneak kill his archers to bring him out. He taunts me with his songs again and his captain bodyguards there. I was surrounded and outnumbered but saw there were about 4 cages with those cat monster things. I open them all up and ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE! I escape out of the chaos and I get to a high point to watch. The caragores are demolishing everything! The two body guard captains run in fear of them, leaving only the war chief and a few stragglers getting eaten by caragores. I jump on one of them and ride it over to Shaka. He is fighting a caragores already when I walk up and maul him to death with mine. VICTORY!! Or so I thought! I was looking at the hierarchy of the orcs later and see that SHAKA IS STILL ALIVE! And so our feud continues.

TLDR: this games nemesis thing is awesome!

Auctopus

UK release date is tomorrow, can't wait.

Could someone explain to me how Orcs 'coming back from the dead' works? I assume it's something to do with the finishers.

I thought the Dark Ranger skin was available from the start?

Says on the code-card that you have to complete the main story first

It's something you select before starting a new game, from the very same menu. It'll change the Talion on the main menu and everything.

UK release date is tomorrow, can't wait.

Could someone explain to me how Orcs 'coming back from the dead' works? I assume it's something to do with the finishers.

Cut off the head or they'll be back. Basically.

I'm not actually sure how to decapitate them.. I assume via using finishers, but haven't really paid attention to how I've managed to do it thus far.

Arrrammis

Interestingly enough, I can run into captains out in the wild and kill them with no problems, but when I go to one of the red missions, I almost always end up dying in the same scenario.

My current nemesis is a shield guy with a poisoned spear, only damaged by combat finishers, enraged when he takes damage, has a radius attack, one-shots all beasts(pretty much, might be 2) and always has a gang with him.

Challenge accepted.

Erban1

Gotta say finally decapitating a pesky nemesis might be the most satisfying thing I've done in a game this year.

Finally bested the diseased fucker who'd been spanking me around, managed to blow up some barrels to terrify him, cut thru a path of grunts and executed him. The payoff when you absolutely destroy someone after they've been talking big shit is extremely rewarding.

I still don't really like that captains aren't "dead" when you..."kill" them. Come on, I mean I stabbed a dagger into the guy's face, he should be dead damn it. Misleading to say he's been 'eliminated'.

Arrrammis

I still don't really like that captains aren't "dead" when you..."kill" them. Come on, I mean I stabbed a dagger into the guy's face, he should be dead damn it. Misleading to say he's been 'eliminated'.

I think you can tell if they might come back looking a the hierarchy screen. If his head is on a pike, he dead. But if he's just lying down, he might come back. Just gives a bit of warning.

I think you can tell if they might come back looking a the hierarchy screen. If his head is on a pike, he dead. But if he's just lying down, he might come back. Just gives a bit of warning.
I know, my point is that having to cut off a guy's head for them to be really dead is annoying :-/

Apathy

I feel bad for anyone getting vendetta missions from me. The only things killing me now are all level 18+ with hard bonuses to counter

JINYX

Neo Member
I know, my point is that having to cut off a guy's head for them to be really dead is annoying :-/

Disagree, it allows you to build a bit of a story with that particular enemy. Plus the satisfaction after having finally killed an orc after battling them throughout the game is great.

Erban1

It really sucks there's no way to guarantee the execution you perform is a decap...I've been relatively lucky with decaps as long as their health is really low but it's been hit or miss thus far.

Disagree, it allows you to build a bit of a story with that particular enemy. Plus the satisfaction after having finally killed an orc after battling them throughout the game is great.
I get that build up from other ways like escaping from a battle if I'm getting overwhelmed or from dying myself, the enemies still build up personalities that way. I'd be a little more ok with enemies returning if the game wouldn't mislead by using the word "eliminated". At least say "temporarily" or something similar.

Performing an execution doesn't always guarantee you'll decapitate them either which is irritating.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Heavily considering this for PS4 as I was a huge fan of AC: 2, Brotherhood, & Revelations but despised 3. I do have AC:4 on my PS4 but never really gave it that much of a chance because I hated the boat aspects, just too clunky for me.

This looks like it's right up my ally, only thing I'm worried about it is getting burned out halfway through. How is the optional stuff? Rewarding or very mundane?
Very rewarding. Especially when you take out the son of a bitch that has killed you 40 times. I'd say it's more like Red Dead Redemption in terms of open world liveliness.

I've had my first respawned Orc today. He had a grayish skin, full white eyes, and he was bragging on how death could not hold him. I unleashed shadow kill on him, cutting his health in half, did that sun punch move, and just started wailing on him until he went green, I used him for intel on a warchief and satisfactory watched Talion's sword getting plunged in his eye socket.

I think only the higher ranked ones have a chance to come back. I definitely didn't decap every captain and only have a select few come back. If you kill them with just left click or something, I think that is the main times they come back. Same thing with the interrogate kills I believe.

I got this fucking Orc named Shaka the singer and I hate him. He was anobody and became a captain while singing a damn song and killing me. Then I see him later and he has risen in the ranks by himself, shows up to fuck up my stealth mission and kill me again! All while singing a damn song about it. He ends up killing me 2-3 more times and is super powerful, becoming a war chief. I had enough of his bullshit and his vocal stylings..... The time was now to destroy him. I found him in a building stronghold and had to sneak kill his archers to bring him out. He taunts me with his songs again and his captain bodyguards there. I was surrounded and outnumbered but saw there were about 4 cages with those cat monster things. I open them all up and ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE! I escape out of the chaos and I get to a high point to watch. The caragores are demolishing everything! The two body guard captains run in fear of them, leaving only the war chief and a few stragglers getting eaten by caragores. I jump on one of them and ride it over to Shaka. He is fighting a caragores already when I walk up and maul him to death with mine. VICTORY!! Or so I thought! I was looking at the hierarchy of the orcs later and see that SHAKA IS STILL ALIVE! And so our feud continues.

TLDR: this games nemesis thing is awesome!

I want to buy the game after reading this.

YuShtink

Yea, this game is awesome. It's pretty quickly and easily taken it's spot as my favorite game of the generation so far. The dynamic feuds with the Uruk officers add so much to the experience, and make for legitimately cool UNSCRIPTED moments. Played until 1am last night without realizing it. That's always a good sign.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Also; I simply cannot allow a captain become a warchief over my back and live. Son of a bitch is going down, and I decide who gets to be a warchief. I am the danger, I AM THE ONE WHO KNOCKS!

JINYX

Neo Member
I get that build up from other ways like escaping from a battle if I'm getting overwhelmed or from dying myself, the enemies still build up personalities that way. I'd be a little more ok with enemies returning if the game wouldn't mislead by using the word "eliminated". At least say "temporarily" or something similar.

Performing an execution doesn't always guarantee you'll decapitate them either which is irritating.

Ya that I definitely get, it shouldn't cross them out and say eliminated, bit misleading. Think the idea is that someone else could move in there and take their spot while they're recovering from their injuries but it's not well explained.

Just because you don't behead them doesn't mean they will come back, just that they can. I posted a story awhile back about me and Grisha the Brawler who had a rivalry for almost the entire 1st zone trading kills back and forth. The last time i killed him i slit his throat (his head remained on) and I haven't seen him since (I've been back to that zone for awhile collecting things) So it's just a chance, just like it's a chance that you behind them. Personally I love it, I feel like Batman dealing with the Joker...that guy was MY arch-enemy. And no one else (probably) will ever have that same experience with that particular orc (since the odds of having the same name along with all the same Str/Weak is pretty slim)

How come people are getting all these awesome nemeses like singers, poets and friendly gentlemen and all I'm getting is rude orcs. I want to get to branding and make a crew with a nice guy, a singer and a poet. Fuck shit up. We would call our gang the Shake Spears.

Because spears are weapon and Shakespeare is a classy name. It's a pun. I need this to happen. How much longer do I have to wait for leather jacket and walking while snapping fingers dlc?

legbone

man this game. there was this guy (something the trainer) that had a crossbow that would one shot me. he was one of those ambushing guys so whenever i was fighting some uruks or another captain he would come along and just blast me and kill me. he gained so much power from me that he ended up on the second highest tier. well, finally i got some intel on his ass. weak to stealth kills. heh heh. i dropped from a ledge and one hitted him. great feeling. but alas, i'm fighting later and here he comes. had a new metal eye patch though. so cool. he dropped me that time. me and old boy are going to have a long friendship i see. i'm gonna cut his head off and put an end to it one day though.

BokehKing

Banned
When people say this is like "assassin's creed"

What do they mean?

BBecause I hate that series, and people saying that is what's holding me back

legbone

i was listening to the bombcast and they were talking about uses of the nemesis system in other games. I for one think it would be really cool in a warhammer 40k game. seems like it would be perfect for the orks. i would love playing a semi-open world (with different planets and big ships to infiltrate) as a marine hunting powerful orks and such.

What do they mean?

Traversal and map. You run around doing parkour ala Ass Creed. The map also has some towers you have to unlock so you can fast travel to locations and it shows you the nearby items (not nearly as many as Creed though). The gameplay and combat though is like the Arkham series (batman). Plus the nemesis system is insane for role players and people who enjoy having their own personal stories.

What do they mean?

What do you hate about it? The combat, traversal and open world with a myriad of little icons on the map to check out is somewhat similar. I think that's where it ends though. Disclaimer: I haven't played this game and also dislike Assassin's Creed (find it boring).

Beaten like an ugly orc.

Top Bottom