• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor |OT| One Title to rule them all

jeemer

I'm loving the game so far.

However, I'm yet to see any of the nemesis system coming into play yet. I'm not hugely far in, I don't have brand yet. I've
gone far enough with Gollum to find out who Celebrimbor is, and I've run off by myself and killed maybe 6 or 7 captains, 2 or 3 elites and 2 warchiefs.

I've killed every captain I've come across - is there where I'm slipping up, should I be letting some get away? I've always executed, ground killed or interrogated them. No one's come back for me at all yet.

I do have a terrible memory so I dunno if the names/faces would necessarily ring a bell, but from what I saw in previews they would mention having met with me before in their intro banter, right?

J

JoJo UK

Unconfirmed Member
My Amazon UK order just shipped ���� any other UK peons still waiting with me? If so have you gotten your preorder rune keys email yet?
I was wondering the same thing, got my email saying it was dispatched but no rune email (yet).

Have any significant patches come out yet on the PS4 version? I don't have decent internet so I'd have to take my PS4 to my parents to download anything.

Stormus

Dumped in about ~4 hours into SoM last night. What a great game! It's so damn easy to get distracted from doing the mainline, and just go kill shit/free slaves/whatever.

I will say those worried about combat, it is not an easy game. I turned off the counter indicator, and I was dying basically every 20 minutes. I already have some damn Captain up to power level 18 :(.

Onlythisfar41

Neo Member
Dumped in about ~4 hours into SoM last night. What a great game! It's so damn easy to get distracted from doing the mainline, and just go kill shit/free slaves/whatever.

I will say those worried about combat, it is not an easy game. I turned off the counter indicator, and I was dying basically every 20 minutes. I already have some damn Captain up to power level 18 :(.

Yea man Im in the same boat as you. I have one Legendary Captain who is now a level 19 and is the bodyguard of one of the war chiefs that Im tying to take out.

I don't have branding yet so basically I have to avoid this guy and level myself up before I try and take him out because it's essentially impossible now.

Gaz_RB

I think fourth mission, I keep getting wonderfully distracted by the nemesis system.

How far are you?

6th mission. Been distracted by the Nemesis system too. "Ok I'm just going to kill Paku the Disgusting and then I'll go do that story mission....god damnit on the way Ratlug the Poet ambushed and killed me....gotta get revenge on him and then I'll go kill Paku and do the story mission....oh but these two guys are having a duel, I can't let them finish that....oh Elzar keeps dying, I need to avenge him again."

More open world games need this sort of persistence.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I dont think I understand, isnt the wraith finisher something else (B+A) than the executions (B+Y)?

Wraith finisher is when you do a wraith smack into the sword flurry. It instantly ends it with making their head explode.

I noticed it also does this for drains and after you gain intel from worms. Before he would just plunge the sword into their face but now he pops the head, which is the only one I really miss.

6th mission. Been distracted by the Nemesis system too. "Ok I'm just going to kill Paku the Disgusting and then I'll go do that story mission....god damnit on the way Ratlug the Poet ambushed and killed me....gotta get revenge on him and then I'll go kill Paku and do the story mission....oh but these two guys are having a duel, I can't let them finish that....oh Elzar keeps dying, I need to avenge him again."

More open world games need this sort of persistence.

Fry.jpg

Kaversmed

Wraith finisher is when you do a wraith smack into the sword flurry. It instantly ends it with making their head explode.

I noticed it also does this for drains and after you gain intel from worms. Before he would just plunge the sword into their face but now he pops the head, which is the only one I really miss.

I'm definitely avoiding the 'Wraith Finisher' ability now.

BuddyL33

Neo Member
I'm loving the game so far.

However, I'm yet to see any of the nemesis system coming into play yet. I'm not hugely far in, I don't have brand yet. I've
gone far enough with Gollum to find out who Celebrimbor is, and I've run off by myself and killed maybe 6 or 7 captains, 2 or 3 elites and 2 warchiefs.

I've killed every captain I've come across - is there where I'm slipping up, should I be letting some get away? I've always executed, ground killed or interrogated them. No one's come back for me at all yet.

I do have a terrible memory so I dunno if the names/faces would necessarily ring a bell, but from what I saw in previews they would mention having met with me before in their intro banter, right?

I'm pretty much in the same boat.

Anyone have the instructions for disabling all of those opening videos every time you turn the game on (the nvidia and WB ones, etc). I know someone posted them in one of the threads, but I can't find it now.

Loomba

As someone who hasn't started the game yet, I'm going to avoid the Wraith Finisher.

But why should I avoid the Swift Finisher? I heard someone saying avoid that too, why?

Kaversmed

As someone who hasn't started the game yet, I'm going to avoid the Wraith Finisher.

But why should I avoid the Swift Finisher? I heard someone saying avoid that too, why?

I want to know this too. What does Swift Finisher do, and what does it replace?

P.S. my copy has now been shipped. YES!

Damnit, for some reason Steam erased hours of my progress in this game. I had played for about 3-4 hours but Steam is saying my only save file is 30 minutes play time. Fun game, but holy damn that's a wet towel on my desire to play.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Swift finisher speeds up the ground executions(the non-combo locked ones done on stunned enemies). I haven't bought it yet since I was curious about that, but those animations leave you vulnerable so speeding them up will actually help.

Anyone have the instructions for disabling all of those opening videos every time you turn the game on (the nvidia and WB ones, etc). I know someone posted them in one of the threads, but I can't find it now.

Answering my own question. Rename everything in the /game/interface/videos/legal folder and rename nvidia_splash in the folder one level above that.

friday

You just haven't run into a powerful one yet. Last night I met my ork captain match. This guy has a poison cross bow that fires multiple bolts and if they hit you will put you in a last stand situation. Here is the silly part, if you have not been a worthy opponent, he will just walk off and you wont get to counter his final attack. I have lost to this guy so many times that he is now power rank 19. The worst part is I thought I killed him at one point, but then he showed up in the middle of me fighting a Warchief. His only weakness is explosions, but I never fight him near a fire. I gotta get this asshole.

Kaversmed

Swift finisher speeds up the ground executions(the non-combo locked ones done on stunned enemies). I haven't bought it yet since I was curious about that, but those animations leave you vulnerable so speeding them up will actually help.

So are the animations completely different or just a faster version of the previous, and slower, animation?

Smash88

Banned
Wait, what does 'swift finisher' now do then?

I dont think I understand, isnt the wraith finisher something else (B+A) than the executions (B+Y)?

So Wraith Finisher pops heads, which induces fear (but is inconsequential in the grand scheme of things) and causes orcs to run away. I don't really count its "benefit" as something amazing IMO. But to each his own.

Swift Finisher, helps kill orcs when they are down, aka takedowns. While it is nice for takedowns to be done quicker, it is at the expense of shorter, quicker, somewhat less gruesome animations.

Like I said, some people will like it, some won't. I really love the animations, and I personally feels it takes away from the game, when I go around just popping heads. Great it caused fear in orcs, and now some are running away, but as someone who loves the gruesome decapitations and awesome sword animations, I'll just avoid those two.

So are the animations completely different or just a faster version of the previous, and slower, animation?

It's different, a much shorter animation (possibly animations?). Just a quick knife slice, instead of the other various and more abundant animations available.

It's essentially that, a shorter animation, or shorter time spent taking down orcs when they are down but not out.

Some may enjoy the benefits. I think it's nice; I love the regular, more gruesome and flavourful (if you will) sword play.

Listen, your best bet is to experiment and try it out. You may find Wraith Finisher and Swift Finisher awesome and suited for your playstyle. I'm just a picky person, I love the animation when interrogations are done to be knife through head and head flying through air slow-mo - although when it comes to captains if you do interrogations it's always a pop (without the head disappearing).

Which also reminds me, a great idea would be to allow us to respec our skill tree - which sounds odd, but I would love the chance to take away from certain skills, alter my handicap for better or worse.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
UK people, where could I order to get the pre order bonuses? Preferably somewhere like £37 as I've seen numerous deals.

Klyka

Banned
Get refund for Destiny > buy mordor us what I did :).

image.php

Credits are rolling!

The end fight
was even more easy than beating The Tower. Three quick time events? Really? How lame is that? I was expecting to have to fight the boss, riding a Graug or something. What was all that Graug practice for then? They really could have done much more with that. It's too bad, since I love everything else about the game.

Edit: 17 hours of story, whilst doing quite a bit of side missions.

Carbonox

For those of you who ordered from Amazon UK, did you get the regular shipping option (free super saver or whatever) and has it already dispatched for you? I forgot to check my order and found that's what it's set to instead of the free first class option which the rest of my preorders are set to. As a result the delivery estimate could be next Monday onwards which is frankly unacceptable.

Kiraly

Credits are rolling!

The end fight
was even more easy than beating The Tower. Three quick time events? Really? How lame is that? I was expecting to have to fight the boss, riding a Graug or something. What was all that Graug practice for then? They really could have done much more with that. It's too bad, since I love everything else about the game.

Edit: 17 hours of story, whilst doing quite a bit of side missions.

How is the story?

Moff

well worms still get stabbed after intel. even with that skill.

captains and warchiefs on the other hand dont get stabbed after intel, the just get some kind of neck break, it really looks weird und unsatisfying.

I dont think I ever popped the head of a captain/warchief, do you need to drain them for that?

dreamlock

The hero Los Santos deserves
I hate when you go on last stand mode... but there is no last stand... you just die...without having the opportunity to counter.

FYI: I noticed that some orcs have a strength trait called "No Chance", which prevents you from being able to save yourself if they get the final hit on you. Pretty cool stuff.

On-topic, I wish there was a timeline/history log as there's just too many stories to keep up with when it comes to all encounters thus far.

What I remember most is my many awesome and pretty insane encounters with my arch-nemesis, Brâga the Cook who came back 6 times until I finally executed him yesterday. The score was 3-3 and he looked like shit since I had burned him to death three times in a row after he killed me....yeah...I was furious.

Background: My vendetta and journey into madness began in our first encounter after he grabbed me when I was near death in a huge battle with dozens of orcs, picking me up and throwing me on the ground on top of a freaking campfire which happened to be nearby. I couldn't use last stand afterwards, as he had the "No Chance" trait so I died instantly.

Fast-forward to a few more encounters after I had burned him, and we'd killed eachother a couple of times. He had received a motive that was basically saying that he wanted to burn me to death too. I can't remember the exact words, but thought it was pretty awesome.

Anyway, late last night I was surrounded by him and 4 other captains and thought I was done for even though I'd managed to get him and several others to low health. However, I suddenly noticed a campfire near a cliff nearby, so I sped to it as fast as I could and set it off using an arrow when they caught up to me. BOOM. They all screamed in pain as they burned, so I jumped over my nemesis, did a wraith cone stun on them all, and executed him which sent his BURNING head flying between the group of orcs, bouncing a few times on the ground and off the edge of the cliff.

I was so incredibly satisfied that I yelled out loud: "BURN IN HELL YOU FUCKER!"

Do note, that this was pretty late at night and I live in an apartment, so..I think my neighbors might have heard me despite the concrete walls, but I didn't care! He was dead and that was all I cared about.

Man, this game...the story is pretty ok, combat needs some work to be a bit more fluid, but the nemesis system is just so immersive and 'effin brilliant. I haven't had this kind of experience from ANY singleplayer game before EVER. You can get these kind of things in online games..this mutual hatred for one another...but this is something beyond that..

To you developers out there - just stop what you're doing right now. Just stop! Go online, or go to the store or whatever. Buy this game, take some time off work and play it. Just play it, enjoy and make notes and -COPY- this shit. For real. I want this in every open world game I play from now on. GTA 6 with dynamic characters inspired by this nemesis system that can exist in both singleplayer + multiplayer? Yes please!

The potential for something like this is just incredible - thank you Monolith!

- dreamlock

Trickster

Okay so this game has been a complete cakewalk for me so far.

But now I have to kill a captain in order to get further in the story missions. Problem is this is the captain:

Can someone tell me how the flying fuck I'm supposed to kill him when he's litterally immune to everything except beasts, he oneshot a caragor, and I can' exactly get him to fight a graug, I need to get further in the story to unlock the ability to ride those, which like I said, I need to kill this fucking captain to have a chance at.

How is the story?

It's alright. It's relatively tied into the LotR story and they sell it quite well with the polished cutscenes. But I can't say they really pulled me in.

I also think the missions could have been a bit more creative at times. Some were good, but the "kill/brand 4 warchiefs" could have been presented differently. Luckily the nemesis system keeps it interesting there. I was also a bit disappointed they had to throw a "be the hero, save the girl" mission in. It's just unnecessary cliche.

Kaversmed

But now I have to kill a captain in order to get further in the story missions. Problem is this is the captain:

Can someone tell me how the flying fuck I'm supposed to kill him when he's litterally immune to everything except beasts, he oneshot a caragor, and I can' exactly get him to fight a graug, I need to get further in the story to unlock the ability to ride those, which like I said, I need to kill this fucking captain to have a chance at.

Didn't you get it wrong, though? His weakness is not beasts, it's burning!

His hate of beasts is under his 'strength' abilities, which basically means he will get angrier if he is attacked by beasts. At least that's how I understood the system.

Use either fire arrows or several explosions on him. Once he starts freaking out, run after him and kill him.

Nyx

Get him near a fire, blast the fire. When he burns he will be a cakewalk due to his fear.

Kaversmed

So he will just become un-immune to all the shit he's immune to if he get's feared? Otherwise it doesn't matter how scared he is if I still can't actually hurt him

Probably better for someone actually owning the game to answer your question, but I believe that if you get him scared, you can get close and finish him off.

Nyx

So he will just become un-immune to all the shit he's immune to if he get's feared? Otherwise it doesn't matter how scared he is if I still can't actually hurt him

Fear makes him weak indeed.
I had to kill a captain that feared those beasts you can ride, when he saw me on one of those beasts he couldn't move due to the fear and he was eaten alive in seconds. (his health went down much faster than normal)

Trickster

Fear makes him weak indeed.
I had to kill a captain that feared those beasts you can ride, when he saw me on one of those beasts he couldn't move due to the fear and he was eaten alive in seconds. (his health went down much faster than normal)

Alright cool, thanks. Figured they were still immune to stuff even if they became feared

Yes, just exploit his weakness and get rid of him: explode a bonfire, or a barrel of grog, or use fire arrows. Otherwise, yeah it would be pretty tough to defeat him.

BuddyL33

Neo Member
So right now in the early stages of the game, I'm grabbing every basic orc and interrogating them for intel so I can see all the captains and such. Am I doing it right?

Stormus

So right now in the early stages of the game, I'm grabbing every basic orc and interrogating them for intel so I can see all the captains and such. Am I doing it right?

That's one way to go about it, but honestly I just gather intel when it is convenient. You will learn a captains weakness/strengths as you fight them.

In all honesty, I don't fear dying. I think it makes the game much more interesting when you get killed, to see the orcs promoted and fight among each other.

But obviously, do what you find most fun.

Smash88

Banned

There is no "right" way. Do what you want. In the long run it will help you when you face them, as you will be aware of their strengths and weaknesses.

Top Bottom