• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor |OT| One Title to rule them all

When a warchief dies one of his bodyguards (if there are any) takes his place. You need to dominate Skog and Command him on a Initiation mission to become a bodyguard. Then he will rise with his master falls.
Yeah, learned that and sniped both body guards.

Got the achievement. Hooray.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I want a Song of Ice and Fire/Game of Thrones game with an extra sadistic version of the nemesis system. Can you just imagine pissing off some lord then a while later he kills your whole family and it's not a scripted moment? That would be some next level shit.

BTW I think I may be the only person who doesn't care for the Dark Ranger skin. Its base design is great but the bulky shoulder armor bothers me. Wish it was just the cloak. I also find it distracting on a first playthrough when it's not in the prerendered cutscenes.

On my last trophy.

Getting a level 25 rune. Any help appreciate, but I do get the gist of it.
I'm really not sure about this one.

I'm considering running off and getting killed by the same Captain over and over again and seeing what level he can hit, but I'm not sure if that influences his rune drop.

Really looking forward to playing this. If I can drag myself away from Destiny for a while I'm sure I'll have a great time with it.

Anyone here work in GAME in the UK? I was hoping to put some credit I had towards it if it's a reasonable price. Then again, if it's 55 quid I don't think I'll bother.

On my last trophy.

The levels of the runes are based on the level of the dude who dropped it but the max level is 20. There are certain bonus that show when you get a rune that can push it farther so I assume you need to stack those to get 25.

You mean Ghul matrons? You need to abuse arrows, especially if you have shadow strike. You can drain the matrons to restore arrows as much as you need in combat and they won't do anything about it.

Sounds like I'm not advanced enough to beat them. I get swarmed by the little ones while she beats me and I can't get much of a shot off and when I do it does very little damage.

turcy

When people say this is like "assassin's creed"

What do they mean?

BBecause I hate that series, and people saying that is what's holding me back

not to worry my friend.

i've never gotten past a few minutes in any AC game [read: i hate them], but i've played ~8 hours of this so far and only bothered with 15% of the story missions...

killing orcs is just. so. much. fun.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Sounds like I'm not advanced enough to beat them. I get swarmed by the little ones while she beats me and I can't get much of a shot off and when I do it does very little damage.
Do you have Wraith Flash yet? It instakills any ghuls in range and the only ones that can interrupt a combo are the spitting ones.

Razzorn34

It's Assassin's Creed with Batman: Arkham combat. That isn't anything special on it's own. The Nemesis system is what makes this game shine.

On my last trophy.

Runes are usually the same level as the foe you defeat, but you get a bonus level for each of the following:
  • Knowing an Uruk's Strengths and Weaknesses
  • Exploiting an Uruk's Weakness
  • Exploiting an Uruk's Fear
  • Exploiting an Uruk's Hate
  • Getting a Revenge Kill

So you have to get killed by a level 20 Uruk (or let someone who killed you reach that level), gain intel, go into a Revenge mission against him, trigger a hatred, then a fear, than kill him or at least injure him with a weakness of his. That should do it.

Zunja

On my last trophy.

Easiest way I found was this

Fight a lvl 20 Warchief

+1 revenge kill (so let him kill you)
+2 for being a Warchief
+1 knowing strength/weakness
+1 fear/hate

Make sure you do not death threat. You don't want an epic rune. If a non-epic rune drops it will be lvl 25.

edit: Well barely beaten!

Just finished a Trial by Power, where I had 30 minutes to kill 3 warchiefs and 10 captains with only two respawns for bonus points.

That led to some very intense stronghold fights, the stuff you usually plan out and approach methodically but scrambling to get all the kills in time means you take way more risk (especially in the 'draw out the warchief'-phase).

Good fun.

H1PSTER

This guy used to look younger, wore a helmet and was pretty tough to beat.

I fought him, beat him and then he came back whilst I was attacking another Orc and he totally kicked my ass.

I love this game!

gdWnlrp.jpg

Just finished the story. I quite enjoyed it but hopefully they can improve it in a sequel because it does seem a bit lacking next to the nemesis system.

I do love this game, though. I'm going to be messing around with more side stuff and the nemesis system for quite a while and I might even grab the DLC when it's out.

blurrygil

I've been on a complete media blackout of this game since it's announcement.

OMFGHOLYSHITTHISGAMEISSOOOOOOOOOOGOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!!!

*pant pant pant*

/ded

Gandie

Bought the game today after reading some reviews and following this thread for a while. Still have 5 hours on my download and the wait burns ;_;

Surprisingly enough, when you're a stealth player like me and actively avoid combat encounters, finding a way to kill 20 orcs within 2 minutes to draw out a Warchief isn't the easiest task.

It's not as jarring as last-gen, but I still hate pre-rendered cutscenes.

Always breaks my immersion when I'm dumped into a lower-resolution, compressed cutscene, would obviously prefer real-time when possible. As an added benefit, get to keep the objectively better pre-order armor during those particular scenes as well.
Yea, the cutscenes are really damn ugly.

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads
I know, my point is that having to cut off a guy's head for them to be really dead is annoying :-/

thats the part and the mos fun aspect about the nemesis system. Aside from the main story campaign you build your own story with the Uruks and watch it unfold. How they remember you and want revenge is story telling in itself.

Drek

It's Assassin's Creed with Batman: Arkham combat. That isn't anything special on it's own. The Nemesis system is what makes this game shine.

I wouldn't break it down that way.

For starters, the mission based gameplay, Nemesis or Story, is far less linear than what AC has been after AC2. You can really pick your own path through each objective.

Second, the environmental interaction is clearly Batman: Arkham inspired, so it takes more than just the combat. The leveling system for Talion plus the sword and bow also make the combat feel substantively different from Batman, despite clearly coming from the same point of origin.

Is the Nemesis system what really makes this shine? Definitely. But there is a solid game here even without it. Without Nemesis this is a LotR themed AC/Batman mash up that would effectively feel like a significant step forward from Creative Assembly's Viking game, both in terms of polish and play-ability. That with a pretty well executed story line for a franchise "side story" in something as iconic as the LotR universe. In other words a good game.

Nemesis takes that solid base and makes it something truly unique and special by adding so much more instanced events to the world. Only GTA has pulled off an open world that feels as alive and reactive as this and that is because Rockstar craft excellent stories, characters, and weave their linear narratives into the world exceptionally well. This does a lite version of that for the main story (you can really tell the lead writer was on RDR) but adds this free form element that makes it feel fresh every time you play with Nemesis.

It is a truly unique game despite borrowing so many mechanics from other titles.

Is there a unlimited amount of bodyguards etc? Or do they run out?

The Nemesis menu (with Warchiefs and Captains) will replenish itself automagically when time passes - either through your death or the Fast Forward command at watchtowers. Their numbers are unlimited. For bodyguards under a warchief I want to say the limit is five, but I'm not sure where that number is coming from.

If you manage to avoid passing time, you can theoretically wipe out all of them. Problem is it's easy to make mistakes after a while...

Edit
I wouldn't break it down that way.

For starters, the mission based gameplay, Nemesis or Story, is far less linear than what AC has been after AC2. You can really pick your own path through each objective.

Second, the environmental interaction is clearly Batman: Arkham inspired, so it takes more than just the combat. The leveling system for Talion plus the sword and bow also make the combat feel substantively different from Batman, despite clearly coming from the same point of origin.

Is the Nemesis system what really makes this shine? Definitely. But there is a solid game here even without it. Without Nemesis this is a LotR themed AC/Batman mash up that would effectively feel like a significant step forward from Creative Assembly's Viking game, both in terms of polish and play-ability. That with a pretty well executed story line for a franchise "side story" in something as iconic as the LotR universe. In other words a good game.

Nemesis takes that solid base and makes it something truly unique and special by adding so much more instanced events to the world. Only GTA has pulled off an open world that feels as alive and reactive as this and that is because Rockstar craft excellent stories, characters, and weave their linear narratives into the world exceptionally well. This does a lite version of that for the main story (you can really tell the lead writer was on RDR) but adds this free form element that makes it feel fresh every time you play with Nemesis.

It is a truly unique game despite borrowing so many mechanics from other titles.

Yeah on its own without the Nemesis System, I'd say SoM is a good game, if unremarkable. But with that system, it transcends that into something truly great.

The only thing really holding it back is the mainline missions and the story. They don't hold up against the rest of the game's focus on dynamic encounters and progression. SoM2 (or whatever) really needs something similar to Skyrim's Radiant AI for dynamic quests and a dynamic storyline to make the formula even better.

Grief.exe

Got Mordor running pretty damn smooth. 1080p/60 FPS with no drops, only turned down textures and mesh a notch below ultra.

This is a solid port, but I think it needs a few optimization passes before we call it truly great. Hopefully it improves after Nvidia/AMD get their respective driver updates, but the VRAM requirements are absurd and unwarranted.

Kamina

Golden Boy
When people say this is like "assassin's creed"

What do they mean?

Because I hate that series, and people saying that is what's holding me back
Don't listen to such things. Since AC, every game that is remotely offering freerunning and climbing is called an AC clone. Even If Shadow of Mordor does offer these things, it looks like a complete different game to me and also has a strong LotR based Story.

Well.. Fuck.

I thought I could play it tonight on the PS4 but the game demands me to download more than 20GB in order to go past the tutorial.

That takes me more than 3 hours.

Jaevlar

It's been such a long time since I've had this much fun in a game! Plotting and killing through the ranks of the orc scum. I'm glad I preordered it on GMG.

Anyone else thinks that the combat system is more forgiving compared to the Batman games? Regarding countering that is. It feels way easier when you're in the middle of doing something else like a flurry or the ground takedown.

Just finished the first half(?) of the game. Maybe it's been asked before, but can you get back to the first area in story mode or am I screwed? Still had some weapon quests left on the map.

Garibaldi

Anyone received their preorder codes from Amazon UK? They just emailed me two for the same item :/

Yeah I got the same. Two Arrow runes. I popped them an email and they told me to contact Warner brothers directly. That's too much of a clart on for some inevitably shitty rune.

Top Bottom