• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor |OT| One Title to rule them all

When people say this is like "assassin's creed"

What do they mean?

BBecause I hate that series, and people saying that is what's holding me back
It's like AC in the climbing stuff and stealth sense but many people have said it does both much better. The combat is what you will be doing the most of and it is Arkham style combat. Don't let the comparison hold you back. The game is great.

Mayyhem

So I started playing again today. Still on the same mission I always was, however all my towers except the one I'm on are no longer "found" anymore... wtf.

Any idea why this might be?

HiiiLife

I'm finding myself getting stuck on a lot of walls and objects. Its getting annoying. And when I press counter sometimes it doesn't respond making me lose my combo. Smh.

Nice. How far are you on the achievements/trophies? Some of them sound like you need to invest a lot of setup time so they are basically extra missions on their own.
44 out of 51 achievements.

Some of the locked ones I'm pretty sure are broken though, such as "You Will Obey", which requires you to "Make an Uruk yours." Along with "No Power in Numbers", which requires you to "Help a Captain survive a Recruitment Power Struggle, and then kill him and all his new recruits."

I've definitely done both of those.

I'll probably be running through those trials now, hoping one of the chieftains drops a level 25 rune for "A Mighty Doom."

Xellos

What do they mean?

You can hide in bushes and there are towers which act as fast travel points. Really, Shadow of Mordor has much more in common with Batman: Arkham City than any Asassins Creed game. The combat, climbing, and wraith vision are basically ripped straight from Arkahm City.

Unai

What do you hate about it? The combat, traversal and open world with a myriad of little icons on the map to check out is somewhat similar. I think that's where it ends though. Disclaimer: I haven't played this game and also dislike Assassin's Creed (find it boring).

Beaten like an ugly orc.

The combat is not like Assassin's Creed at all.

Audioboxer

Maybe your best video game decision of the year. It's one of my 3 GoTY candidates as of now for sure.

Edit; Sorry, my bad, just woke up and was working my way throughout the thread, commenting and whatnot I didn't realize I was double posting. I'm used to the Destiny thread, don't ban me!

What are your other 2 out of interest?

What do they mean?

This game's combat can be challenging, unlike the AC games.

Also, what's up with Carador countering? Sometimes you can counter, sometimes you have to dodge. And of course you don't know which until the last second.

Corgi

Banned
its like assassin's creed if those games were any good.

some things i found out that has greatly helped with combat, the furry attack move is really quick and easy way to build combo, which is essential for dealing with mobs/bosses that you need to finisher on.

So getting the shotgun blast B move and the one that stuns when vaulting over enemies are really useful stuff.

This game's combat can be challenging, unlike the AC games.

Also, what's up with Carador countering? Sometimes you can counter, sometimes you have to dodge. And of course you don't know which until the last second.

The carragores? When they are close it should be dodge. When they charge at you I think it is the other key. For me, playing on keyboard and mouse, it was space to dodge and right click to toss him.

They seem to mostly charge at longer distances and lunge at shorter.

SJRB

Gold Member
The game moves to a whole new level once you unlock the branding/commanding power, incredible stuff.

Also can't state enough how much better an area Sea of Nurn is compared to the first area.

Just wondering when you get the ability to "dominate" orcs in order to gather intel and how you actually perform this move?
? Are you asking how to gather intel? Because you've been able to do that from the start. You find a snitch (green circles on map) and you have to grab them. Then in those options there's an "interrogate". Dominating orcs gives more options later.

Arrrammis

The carragores? When they are close it should be dodge. When they charge at you I think it is the other key. For me, playing on keyboard and mouse, it was space to dodge and right click to toss him.

They seem to mostly charge at longer distances and lunge at shorter.

Caragors can be either the best or worst enemy in the game. They are the only enemy I have seen that can jump you into a QTE from full health and then kill you. Alternatively, I can shadow strike to mount one and then lead the rest of the pack towards a group of orcs. Always fun.

? Are you asking how to gather intel? Because you've been able to do that from the start. You find a snitch (green circles on map) and you have to grab them. Then in those options there's an "interrogate". Dominating orcs gives more options later.

Hmm interesting, maybe I just wasn't grabbing them properly.

I can't wait to unlock the new map area and have a new set of warchiefs to bring my reckoning on. I'm right before the 1st boss, I'm excited to see how the we on area looks in comparison to the first region.

kencey

I'm just at the start of the game (bout 2 hours in), unlocked 2-3 towers and i noticed the map is kinda small. Do you unlock other areas of the game or is that all ?

I'm just at the start of the game (bout 2 hours in), unlocked 2-3 towers and i noticed the map is kinda small. Do you unlock other areas of the game or is that all ?

That's all, but there is a ton of stuff to do.

Edit: Never mind, there is another area that I had just not gotten to yet. I've been neglecting the story stuff and am just messing around a lot.

SJRB

Gold Member

There's a completely different map you unlock at some point, with its own set of War Chiefs and captains.

Patroclos

Banned
What are your other 2 out of interest?

Holding off until the end of the year on Destiny to make a decision, going to see what fixes they implement, it's angling for number one due to personal shooter/bungie bias, doesn't deserve it without some multiplayer fixes though.

Wolfenstein is top three for the old school shooter feel and a surprisingly engaging story.

Others in contention are DKTF and Mario Kart 8, more so DKTF. Still waiting on Far Cry 4 (enjoyed the gameplay/openworld of the last one), The Evil Within and Sunset Overdrive to see what they have to offer.

As of today (haha, it changes daily); SoM, Destiny, DKCTF, Wolf, MK8. In that order.

SoM take the top spot because the Nemesis system is so damn engaging. I like to make up my own narratives so it is right up my alley. This is another reason I enjoy Destiny, I like making my own story and filling in the blanks myself, so the lack of narrative that bothered quite a few was a non-issue for me.

That's another thing about SoM for me that is key, they were able to simultaneously let the player form their own story as they progress while also telling their own. An impressive feat.

FtHTiny

TQI9NSp.png

Can you keep on playing after finishing the story?

REading the last few pages and it's becoming hard to resist the urge to get this. Looks and sounds really good, but still working on D3 Ultimate and Destiny.

But....but....but.....the character has a sword.....therefore Assassin's Creed clone. lol.

Some traversal, climbing, walking on ropes, etc. Air assassinations, although they are better since the player can choose what kind of air attack to do. RT to highlight the enemy, then every face button on the controller does a different thing. stealth kill - quietly take out the enemy if nobody is super close by. Punish kill - this will cause you to stab the enemy repeatedly causing enemies around his location to become fearful. And branding/leeching - you can bend the enemy to your will and take arrows for your bow from him in the process. Pretty awesome stuff.

Some people say the wraith vision is like the eagle vision in AC, but I would more compare it to detective mode in the Arkham games, as it gives you more information about the enemies.

Whole other location with an entirely new Orc hierarchy in the nemesis system. Pretty crazy.

That's it, now I'm confused as hell about how this hierarchy works.

I'm trying to get an achievement that requires you to basically die to a standard enemy, allowing him to be promoted to a captain, and then getting that captain to become a warchief, just so you can kill him and exact your revenge or whatever. That's all the achievement requires you to do.

So I died to a standard enemy named Skog, he became a captain, and then I advanced time a bit and his power rose. Then I told one of my warchiefs to start a riot against Skog, and during the riot I killed the warchief, and ensured Skog stayed alive. So Skog should be the new warchief, right? Wrong. Ushgol the Drunk is now warchief, and I have no idea where he was when this riot took place.

For those of you who have the game, do you feel it was worth 60 dollars? Is it a must play now title? I am curious as to how everyone feels about it as I am not sure yet whether I should buy it now or wait! Thanks!

For those of you who have the game, do you feel it was worth 60 dollars? Is it a must play now title? I am curious as to how everyone feels about it as I am not sure yet whether I should buy it now or wait! Thanks!

It depends on the kind of games you are into. Action adventure? Hands down GET IT!

Corgi

Banned
spoiler tag if needed, but about what missions do you get the big dog thing counter, and when do you get Brand?

Brooks2304

Neo Member
I'm wondering if someone can help me with my controller. I got new springs and triggers in today and all the buttons and triggers are working when the back part of the controller is off, but when I put it back together, the triggers do not work, and at the intro menu of Mordor I can't even press X to continue. However, the buttons do work when past the intro menu (after using the other controller to get to the main menu).

Lord Phol

For me definetly, the developers deserve it and it really is a fun game and fresh take on the genre. Also just being part of the hype in this thread and sharing stories is worth it.

calder

Great game so far. Put about 8 hours into it, but I feel like I'm barely progressing in the main story simply because I can't stop hunting, stalking then brutally killing orc captains. Fuck those guys who call me out.

If any captain shows up who's susceptible to stealth or ranged takedowns I will drop everything and sprint over to his side of the map to kill that fool. Stupid orcs, don't even bother showing up if you aren't immune to all instant kills, because I will cheese you and run laughing from your terrorized guards every time.

So damn fun.

Patroclos

Banned

Tough question as everyone is different but if you enjoy open world games, LoTR/Fantasy, AC, Arkham combat or emergent gameplay then definitley yes. If not so much to the things above then wait. I can say that there is definitley $60 worth of value from a playtime perspective.

Erban1

This feels like the first real next gen title, everything else has been prettier, but the nemesis system is the type of innovation I expect with the advent of a new generation.

It's a ton of fun and the emergent game play and dynamic storytelling really brings something new to the table. It's not perfect, but it's the most fun I've had all year.

For me definetly, the developers deserve it and it really is a fun game and fresh take on the genre. Also just being part of the hype in this thread and sharing stories is worth it.

Speaking of stories, here is one I had late last night. I finally unlocked the ability to brand enemies so I really was curious to see what kind of things I could do. I looked on the army page at this one warchief I decided to take out after getting intel and that one of his weaknesses was fear of betrayal. I saw that he had 2 bodyguards underneath him. I tracked both of them down individually and branded them, but also having the last one send a death threat to the warchief so I could get a better chance for an epic rune. I then go to the stronghold where the warchief is at and activate the mission. I have to shoot 5 supports of his in the head with the bow for him to show himself. In the process I am going around the stronghold branding all the archers I see who are posted up on towers. After killing the 5 supporters the warchief shows up. Since I used the death threat he walks out more powerful with his bodyguard right by his side (the same two i branded earlier). I do a huge dive off this tower and land right in front of him. The camera zooms into him and he talks his trash then it goes back to the action. I hit up on the dpad to activate my branded soldiers. He freaks out right away and starts running as he is getting attacked from his own bodyguards (now my bodyguards) and arrows from above. The archers are also providing support and taking out the random orcs throughout the stronghold. I chase the dude down and tackle him, shank him a few dozen times and the execute him. EPIC RUNE DROP! One of his old bodyguards that I branded now moves into his position.

THIS GAME!!

Grief.exe

It's not as jarring as last-gen, but I still hate pre-rendered cutscenes.

Always breaks my immersion when I'm dumped into a lower-resolution, compressed cutscene, would obviously prefer real-time when possible. As an added benefit, get to keep the objectively better pre-order armor during those particular scenes as well.

That's it, now I'm confused as hell about how this hierarchy works.

I'm trying to get an achievement that requires you to basically die to a standard enemy, allowing him to be promoted to a captain, and then getting that captain to become a warchief, just so you can kill him and exact your revenge or whatever. That's all the achievement requires you to do.

So I died to a standard enemy named Skog, he became a captain, and then I advanced time a bit and his power rose. Then I told one of my warchiefs to start a riot against Skog, and during the riot I killed the warchief, and ensured Skog stayed alive. So Skog should be the new warchief, right? Wrong. Ushgol the Drunk is now warchief, and I have no idea where he was when this riot took place.
When a warchief dies one of his bodyguards (if there are any) takes his place. You need to dominate Skog and Command him on a Initiation mission to become a bodyguard. Then he will rise with his master falls.

Patroclos

Banned
It's not as jarring as last-gen, but I still hate pre-rendered cutscenes.

Always breaks my immersion when I'm dumped into a lower-resolution, compressed cutscene, would obviously prefer real-time when possible. As an added benefit, get to keep the objectively better pre-order armor during those particular scenes as well.

Preach on!

Top Bottom