• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor |OT| One Title to rule them all

This game is really pretty at times.

b9e8501fb3.png

Patroclos

Banned
I like that Talion is on a revenge quest that intersects with random orcs that he harms that then develop a hatred toward him and set out for their revenge against him. Oh, the irony.

Quick! Polygon deliver us from this evil, give us a huge op-ed piece devoted to the senselessness of violence and revenge in fantasy society. Arthur Gies! Ben Kuchera! Save us, only you can stop this bitter never-ending cycle.

Rom1944

I really like this game, when i was almost dying an orc that i killed raised from the death with a plate on his head and came out of nowhere to deliver me the final arrow.
He got a promotion for a cheap kill i will get my revenge!!!!!!!

Bricky

Mormog the Dreamer, an legendary captain with merely any weaknesses, had started a search for other Uruks to expand his little army. Just as he started talking to a few who seemed interested I interputed his unimpressive speech and brutally murdered every Uruk I saw, even those not loyal to him. Then I ran away and left the poor bastard alone. Angry and confused by what had just taken place he proceeded to impolitely ask another nearby group of strong-looking Urks to join his cause without backup. They slaughtered him without mercy, me silently watching from above.

How all of that was just something that dynamically happened is amazing. Even if it is a common outcome of the situation the game feels incredibly open-ended.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I'll be streaming the game tonight on my Twitch channel in case anybody is interested. I've never really done live streaming before, but I figured this game is fun enough to keep people entertained.

I'll be starting my stream when I get home from work, so roughly around 7PM PST. Channel is here:

http://www.twitch.tv/figboy

I'll be running through some of the gameplay features, possibly do another 2 story missions (I've been doing 2 each night, I've only completed 4 so far), and just roaming around, doing side quests and challenges and getting into trouble. I'm sure my nemeses are bound to show up to harass me at some point, so it should be good times for those watching. I'll post another update when I'm about to go live.

Perhaps people that are still on the fence will have a better idea of what they want after watching a fellow gaffer play!

Bionic

I'm having a really hard time dealing with the final death of my nemesis, Thrakrak of the Black Gate. He killed me the first time I hit a stronghold. I stabbed him. He killed me back. I shot him. He ambushed me and took me out during a slave revolt. I burned him, and before he had a chance to take revenge, I found him and chewed him up. I told myself after each time that I hoped it would be the last time. But ever since I cut off his black-wrapped head and took that level 14 rune, I have to admit that I am sad to not have him pop back up every half hour or so.

I actually find myself a little less engaged with playing now that my nemesis is gone. I tried letting time pass in the game so that some new uruks could come up and maybe be as fun to dance with, but it just hasn't felt the same. It just feels like I'm forcing it, trying to find as good of a nemesis as I had but lost.

This is simultaneously one of my favorite and least favorite problems to have ever had in a video game. What do you do when you can't let go of your best enemy?

I started playing this, but I'm having a bit of a hard time getting into it. I think I might erase my save and start again. Maybe I missed something.

Monolith doesn't realize it but they cracked the formula for a perfect Superman game, if you base the game around a Red Sun removing Superman's powers and you slowly earn his powers back over the course of the game.

Elf Shot = Heat Vision
Nemesis System with Orcs = Nemesis System with Extended DC Rogue's Gallery & Luthor Lackies
Enter Wraith World = X-ray Vision

With a Red Sun, Metropolis's mobs and bad guys could get some real power struggles and really terrorize the city while Superman works to regain his powers (by disabling Luthor satellites causing the Red Sun or something).

I started playing this, but I'm having a bit of a hard time getting into it. I think I might erase my save and start again. Maybe I missed something.

I felt the same way and kind of still do. I still am not far at all, but once u start unlocking abilities and stuff it becomes a bit more fun. The game felt extremely slow at first and I thought I was missing something as well. First thing I did was unlock all of the tower fast travel points to speed up the game

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Stick with it. The game really comes into its own as you gain abilities and get a hold of the best ways to approach combat. I felt the same at first but am loving the game now.

ironcreed

Banned
2 Warchiefs down, 2 to go. But it is just entirely too easy to get sidetracked with all of the other stuff that keeps popping up. This is just an incredibly fun sandbox to play around in on the whole.

SRTtoZ

What a fucking great game. It does a really good job of making you feel like you're actually in Mordor with all of the side chatter. The voice acting from the main character, to the Uruks is just on point and really makes you feel like you're apart of the Peter Jackson universe, although a bit more brutal which is great. I also had no idea there would be so many quality collectibles that are voiced over and everything...Really cool.

ST2K

Just beat the game, and I still have two achievements/trophies to get. They seem stupid and I was wondering if y'all had any tips.

The first one, A Mighty Doom, requires getting a level 25 rune. In order to do that, you have to practically hand mold a nemesis for you to take on. The orc has to have all these attributes:

- Level 20
- Must have intel on him
- Has a Fear
- Has a Hate
- Has a Weakness
- Has killed you earlier

If that wasn't enough, then you have to trigger all of those in your fight before killing him. So, if he has a weakness to stealth, you have to get off a stealth attack while also triggering his fear for Ghuls and simultaneously his hate of Flies. It sucks. You're entirely open to the RNG spawn gods to put you in a situation where all of that shit lines up. Am I missing something?

The second trophy is just that White Rider one where you run around on a NotWarg and have to free a bunch of slaves in the allotted time. Again, unless I'm missing something, it's pretty totally luck based and not fun. I guess I'll just have to pound my head against the wall on this one.

Just beat the game, and I still have two achievements/trophies to get. They seem stupid and I was wondering if y'all had any tips.

The first one, A Mighty Doom, requires getting a level 25 rune. In order to do that, you have to practically hand mold a nemesis for you to take on. The orc has to have all these attributes:

- Level 20
- Must have intel on him
- Has a Fear
- Has a Hate
- Has a Weakness
- Has killed you earlier

If that wasn't enough, then you have to trigger all of those in your fight before killing him. So, if he has a weakness to stealth, you have to get off a stealth attack while also triggering his fear for Ghuls and simultaneously his hate of Flies. It sucks. You're entirely open to the RNG spawn gods to put you in a situation where all of that shit lines up. Am I missing something?

The second trophy is just that White Rider one where you run around on a NotWarg and have to free a bunch of slaves in the allotted time. Again, unless I'm missing something, it's pretty totally luck based and not fun. I guess I'll just have to pound my head against the wall on this one.

There are guides for both of those on true achievements. Im not far enough into the game at all to know what the first one is talking about. The white rider one seems to have an easy spot in the second area.

When people say this is like "assassin's creed"

What do they mean?

BBecause I hate that series, and people saying that is what's holding me back

It is like Assassin's Creed except it's actually good instead of the most boring thing you've ever played.

I'm sorry, I really don't like AC.

- Level 20
- Must have intel on him
- Has a Fear
- Has a Hate
- Has a Weakness
- Has killed you earlier

You get a +1 just for him being a warchief so you can trade that bonus in for another that's giving you trouble.

So i just arrived at
Sea of Númen
, how far in the game am I?
Half way.

SRTtoZ

Makes me wonder how all the Orcs look so good yet Talion looks so bad.

Yep I said this since the beginning. Its mind boggling how they let him look very generic while everything else in the game, even the randomly generated Uruks, look better.

ST2K

There are guides for both of those on true achievements. Im not far enough into the game at all to know what the first one is talking about. The white rider one seems to have an easy spot in the second area.

You get a +1 just for him being a warchief so you can trade that bonus in for another that's giving you trouble.

Thank you for the tips. Looks like War Chief gives you +2? That makes things significantly easier.

1. Get them to sound the alarm.
2. Stand near a fire pit or grog barrel
3. ????
4. Profit.

Do exactly as it says. I just used my bow and headshotted orcs left and right. You stay out of sight and it's a one hit kill when it's charged up. Stealth charge when you run out of arrows.

Thanks, forgot to mention the 2 minute time limit, but yeah I will be looking for barrels, forgot about that!

xBladeM6x

When going for the Rise & Fall achievement, is it possible to brand him to betray a warchief and still get it? It says you're suppose to help him there, but I don't know if branding counts as "helping".

Aske

Jump stun, fast sword slash combo, head-pop finisher, followed by instant execution. This combat. It's like Arkham, but far more satisfying.

Love this game so much. Also, definitely save for the 2500 sword move. I have 10 arrows, level 3 Focus, no health upgrades, and only buy rune slots when truly necessary. That's your difficulty level: spend your points on essential offensive stuff or boost your health early if you're getting frustrated.

Such a wonderfully organic game.

Easiest way I found was this

Fight a lvl 20 Warchief

+1 revenge kill (so let him kill you)
+2 for being a Warchief
+1 knowing strength/weakness
+1 fear/hate

Make sure you do not death threat. You don't want an epic rune. If a non-epic rune drops it will be lvl 25.

edit: Well barely beaten!

Thanks, this helped. It was too hard getting the right traits for a captain, so banking on Warlord is better so you can just get him to hate or fear.

Platinum GET!

Top Bottom