• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor |OT| One Title to rule them all

Sanctuary

It's just flavor text for side missions. The story isn't amazing or anything, but it's coherent and your actions make enough sense.

It's not coherent though which is why I posed the question in the first place. I know the reward for doing them, but you get the reward regardless of the outcome and it's not like a level 15 going to 16 is going to be in any way significantly more difficult than fighting an 11 that went to 12.

Moff

all I did yesterday was to brand all the warchiefs in the first area of the game.
the nemesis system ist relly a gamechanger, and I expect many other games to copy and improve it.

KooopaKid

Banned
From the review thread :

7 from Gamekult. Not bad at all coming from them.

http://www.gamekult.com/jeux/test-la-terre-du-milieu-lombre-du-mordor-SU3050199458t.html#ps4

+ Successful mixture of different influences
+ Excellent Nemesis System
+ Dynamic fights
+ Globally well made
+ Good to let off steam and quite tactical
+ Lenghty

- Too many indicators
- Laughable ennemy AI
- Padded storyline
- Generic environments
- Hey look, another season pass at launch

MMaRsu

Man, how the hell do I unlock the outfit that I got for preordering the (digital) game? I can't find it on the PSN store or anything. Just stays locked in the menu.

Redownload the game via the web app. It doesnt redownload the whole game but adds the preorder content.

doomquake

Hi all, I'm interested in this game and am avoiding media about it but I have one question - how does this game compare to dragons dogma?

My one problem with this game is that there's basically little to no "down-time". Even if you're trying to collect an artifact or herbs, there are piles of orcs everywhere. This isn't so much a criticism, just a reason why I can't seem to play for as long as I like to. I rather like the pacing in AC where I feel like I can cordon off sections of the map where I can explore for a bit in between action. Feels like you can control the pacing better.

Oh well, still a fantastic game!
this my one problem with the game aswell,there are orcs everywhere.i understand we're in mordor,but after slaying 50 orcs i'd like to just walk about for a bit or go collect an artifact,but you have to traverse over open fields that are swarming with orc that are hard to avoid.

you could use a caragor to run past them i guess,but some times you just want to stop and smell the roses,so to speak.

Aselith

I think they mean that the content should been included and not chopped up and sold as a few DLC's.

I'm all for more content but you buy the season pass for stuff that's going to be produced after launch. It's not like they have the stuff done and are holding it back for a later release (I'd hope)

Klyka

Banned
Hi all, I'm interested in this game and am avoiding media about it but I have one question - how does this game compare to dragons dogma?

well they are completely different beasts. like, not even really close apart from "third person action game in a fantasy land".

Vargavinter

I'm all for more content but you buy the season pass for stuff that's going to be produced after launch. It's not like they have the stuff done and are holding it back for a later release (I'd hope)

There have been cases where the DLC's are already on the disc. Cant say if that ever happened to Season Passes though. Not saying that im agreeing with season passes as something negative, just trying to interpret the review.

ZeroX03

Banned
Beat the game.

It's good fun, but boy would it be forgettable if not for the Nemesis System (and wraith teleport). City/Asylum do gameplay better, but this beats out Origins at least.

Beat the game.

It's good fun, but boy would it be forgettable if not for the Nemesis System (and wraith teleport). City/Asylum do gameplay better, but this beats out Origins at least.

Is the story good?

no spoilers plzzzz as i'll be picking it up later on today.

I'm a big fan of the batman games and loved the last AC game so i'm hyped on this.

Just hoping it has a strong story throughout to keep me playing.

I'm almost done with everything in the game, and how powerful you become later on kind of takes the wind out of the sails of the nemesis system. I haven't died since I started on the 2nd map, and it's made thing a lot less interesting. I probably should have been advancing time manually more often to spice things up.

I find it unacceptable that Amazon doesn't dispatch the game if you went for the default delivery until day of release. It's a fucking joke. It says it's preparing for dispatch still! I get the option to cancel but it says the cancellation won't be guaranteed at this stage and it's likely the game won't come until after the weekend.

Do I take the punt and reorder, setting the delivery for tomorrow?

Poor showing by Amazon.

Mine was dispatched yesterday and hasn't turned up today :(

That was with Amazon prime one day delivery too.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Does the game open up more areas later? I just have killed the 4 warchiefs and haven't seen the area with the lush green grass I've seen in some videos.

You need to do some story missions after they're dead to get to the other area.

IvorB

this my one problem with the game aswell,there are orcs everywhere.i understand we're in mordor,but after slaying 50 orcs i'd like to just walk about for a bit or go collect an artifact,but you have to traverse over open fields that are swarming with orc that are hard to avoid.

you could use a caragor to run past them i guess,but some times you just want to stop and smell the roses,so to speak.

You want to simply walk about in Mordor?

Anyone get 2 archer rune pre-order codes from amazon?

Wasn't we supposed to get something else? I forget what.

I got 2 bow runes too. Meant to get a sword and bow rune.
Someone earlier up mentioned speaking to amazon about it, but apparently you have to take it up with WB. Sounds like a lot of effort for what will probably be a kinda shitty and quickly outclassed rune.

prudislav

well

6v3c.jpg

If you can brutalise stealth kill one orc, the others nearby will run away. That helps.

If you can brutalise stealth kill one orc, the others nearby will run away. That helps.
will try that,thanks mate.

it's just a little annoying when i've slayed a captain and his followers,only to walk 100 yards and see 20 orcs heading towards me,but as you say we're in mordor.maybe the second part of the map will be a little 'calmer'.

You want to simply walk about in Mordor?
not walk about,but just be able to take a breather for 5 mins.the only way to do that seems to be to climb an old ruin or archers nest.

but as you guys have pointed out this is mordor a barren land swarming with orc.which does make more sense i suppose.

I need some help here GAF. I cannot stand Lord of the rings, literally took me 9 hours to watch the first movie since I had to keep stopping it from boredom. Just not my thing. That said this game is made by a studio I really like and is similar to some games I like too by the looks of it. To top it off I'm hearing it's a great game. So what say you GAF? You or nay as a non LOTR fan?

not walk about,but just be able to take a breather for 5 mins.the only way to do that seems to be to climb an old ruin or archers nest.

but as you guys have pointed out this is mordor a barren land swarming with orc.which does make more sense i suppose.
Mordor isn't barren enough. My problem with the setting is that it's just a generic landscape, not an arid volcanic land infested with evil. Playing this game regularly has me thinking Mordor is not so bad.

MJLord

I need some help here GAF. I cannot stand Lord of the rings, literally took me 9 hours to watch the first movie since I had to keep stopping it from boredom. Just not my thing. That said this game is made by a studio I really like and is similar to some games I like too by the looks of it. To top it off I'm hearing it's a great game. So what say you GAF? You or nay as a non LOTR fan?

I'm not really a massive fan of LOTR tbh. I can't remember watching the movies it was that long ago. That said It's not stopped me enjoying this, I'm sure there's some depth I'm missing by not knowing the universe that well but there is plenty of information given to you in game menus.

I have zero interest in anything to do with the books/films/lore whatever. But I am enjoying the game a lot.

I would say that if you like the look of it and the reviews point to things that sound enjoyable then you should go for it.

Thanks for the advice guys. Seems I may be grabbing it then since it sounds like something I'll enjoy for the gameplay at the least. Figured it may be a case of needing to know the lore but it seems I was wrong.

Top Bottom