• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor |OT| One Title to rule them all

Dozens of people including myself have had to take the special edition back at GAME UK as the discs are faulty, had to swap the disc for a regular disc. Thought my PS4 was going to explode.

Solidsoul

Banned
Beat the game.

It's good fun, but boy would it be forgettable if not for the Nemesis System (and wraith teleport). City/Asylum do gameplay better, but this beats out Origins at least.

They need to put a lot more effort into the story for the sequel, as well as change the structure in which it's presented. I agree with what you said except I thibk Origins is better :) haha.

Love this game though.

The Torvin missions are a bit bizarre, tutorials near the end of the game.

Glad someone else mentioned this. Very bizarre indeed.

The advertising campaign for this game should just be a link to this thread. I said before I was going to wait for the game to become cheaper because of time and upcoming games (I want to play on PS4)

But after reading everyone's impressions and the legitimate self-created "stories" that get made while playing the game have got me on the verge of impulse buying this on the weekend.

It's always nice to see a game seemingly come out of no where and blow almost everyone's minds.

(I also personally think the Nemesis system is going to change a lot of gaming going forward.)

Glad someone else mentioned this. Very bizarre indeed.

The worst thing about it is that you don't actually need that last tutorial anymore, besides that one mission. I was hoping there would be some overlaps in the final endgame. Fighting the end boss on a Graug would have been amazing.

PS4 and XB1 both run at 30fps, but it's almost assuredly running at 900p or so on Xbox, definitely not a native 1080.

Is anyone reputable reporting the XBO resolution? I've read alot over the past few days but wondered if anyone had counted pixels after whatever Day 1 patch was launched.

I'm still keen to get it, I'm just curious as to whether it is 900 or 1080.

J4g3r

Every time I interrogate an Uruk:

NJNjk4f.jpg

rF0ZL.jpg

friday

The way this game spreads out the tutorials is really one of the worst parts about it. My abilities have advanced way past the point of some of the locked by story mission skills. I don't think they thought that one through very well.

Emouse

Dozens of people including myself have had to take the special edition back at GAME UK as the discs are faulty, had to swap the disc for a regular disc. Thought my PS4 was going to explode.

I had the same issue though I didn't get mine from game, is there any difference between the regular and special discs?

The Nemesis system is really what makes this game stand out and I'd love to see a similar thing in other games. Having a great time with it. The only thing I'm not too fond of is the environments. Mordor is a lot more varied than a load of rocks that are just upheaved out the ground which is all I'm seeing at the moment. Granted the second area is more "green" but it still has random outcrops of rock just lifted out the ground.

I really hope it sells well so we get a sequel. This game is a great foot in the door for more potential LOTR games for sure :)

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Question for those playing on PS4. My PS4's disc drive is noisy when installing or starting up a game, after about 30 seconds it usually stops when I can hear the disc stop spinning.

I played SoM for about an hour this morning and the disc was spinning loudly for extended periods, every now and then it would stop before spinning up again a minute later. It's driving me fucking crazy. I left the game in the drive for 15 mins before playing it for the first time so its definitely not still installing.

Is anyone having this problem? I tried another game and my PS4 is normal with that (ie 30 seconds of noise at the start, quiet afterwards)

Edit: mine is the normal edition

VinFTW

So, is it true? Is this game really 1080/30 on both PS4/X1 with a higher fluctuating framerate on PS4? Reddit said there was a silent post-release patch bringing X1 up to 1080 but I don't know how credible that is.

We still waiting for DF analysis?

J4g3r

Question for those playing on PS4. My PS4's disc drive is noisy when installing or starting up a game, after about 30 seconds it usually stops when I can hear the disc stop spinning.

I played SoM for about an hour this morning and the disc was spinning loudly for extended periods, every now and then it would stop before spinning up again a minute later. It's driving me fucking crazy. I left the game in the drive for 15 mins before playing it for the first time so its definitely not still installing.

Is anyone having this problem? I tried another game and my PS4 is normal with that (ie 30 seconds of noise at the start, quiet afterwards)

Edit: mine is the normal edition

This:

I haven't had the issue myself, however.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
This:

I haven't had the issue myself, however.

Fucking hell the first physical game I buy in about a year and it's borked.

Just my luck.

FFS I thought it was just a minor issue that would go away. Is it a common problem I wonder? I don't wanna have to bring it back to get another fucked copy

Double D

Been playing for the last two nights and I feel like I haven't made much progress in the main story. I'm still kind of unsure where to go next.

At first I felt like I was kind of thrown to the wolves with Ratbag and the
mission where you had to take out 4 warchiefs
, but I managed to get through it without too much trouble.

I still don't have Shadow Strike, and it says I need to play yellow missions to unlock it. My problem is I don't know which yellow missions to tackle first.

Kyoufu

Hey guys, is anyone else suffering from input lag when aiming with the bow? I can't aim with it without hating the world and everything in it.

And no, it's not my setup as I use a gaming monitor and this is the only game with this issue.

I have to really get used to the weight of the character and the delay in camera response. I do not think I had this issue with the Batman and AC franchise.

I only had the chance to play for about a half an hour, though.

Anyone know if I can still get the Dark Ranger skin if I only downloaded it from PSN without preordering?

Well thanks Amazon UK/Royal Mail for being completely shit and making my day off work a waste!

It's bad enough waiting 3 extra days than the rest of the world but now I'll likely be waiting until Monday. Never again.

shem935

Banned
The game is great and the nemesis system is awesome but the ending could have been much better. Spoilers
instead of an abrupt turn of character just have celebrimbor refuse to release him. Since it was always up to him anyways just have him force talion to continue. It would let talion stay true to his character instead of the making a second ring.
again spoilers for those who haven't beaten the game.

Can't you just cancel it and buy it retail?

If it's the same as mine, it's already been dispatched so you can't cancel it. I would do as you suggested otherwise (if I didn't have work and no way of getting into town before the shops close, which is why I went with Amazon and prime).

Nice! Mine is sat here next to me at work, tempting me. Only 3 hours till quitting time then it's Mordor all weekend. If I'm allowed.

Same man! Was meant to be shooting off as soon as it arrived but there is too much to do :( Have completely cleared the weekend though so getting on it when I get back ;D

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
I'm convinced that the story is simply a means to learn your abilities. The real game are the Test Challenges... and I'm COMPLETELY okay with that!

If it's the same as mine, it's already been dispatched so you can't cancel it. I would do as you suggested otherwise (if I didn't have work and no way of getting into town before the shops close, which is why I went with Amazon and prime).

Ah that sucks. He can always just buy the game in the weekend and return the one on Monday.

Aske

Anyone know if I can still get the Dark Ranger skin if I only downloaded it from PSN without preordering?

Looks like you can't. Hopefully it'll return as DLC somewhere down the line, because it's awesome, and should probably have been the default skin. Myself, I'm annoyed about the BestBuy bonus: the Flame of Arnor rune that sets your goddamn sword on fire and incinerates orcs. The other bonus runes are just damage buffs, but a flaming fucking sword?

For those who want the Dark Ranger skin and haven't pre-ordered, go physical and look for a box with a sticker. I picked up the game day one from BestBuy. No BB pre-order bonus, but the PS4 pre-order codes were in the box. It'll be a while before those first-pressing copies disappear.

Really hope that stupid-awesome Flame of Arnor rune becomes available at some point, maybe as Season Pass content. I'm disappointed with most of the runes in the game. I found a few very useful ones, but I end up turning most of them into cash.

Also, anyone else wish their dagger wasn't (story spoilers)
reforged by Celebrimbor
after completing the first half of the legend missions?
The sexed-up sword and bow look pretty much the same as they always did, but your badass son's-broken-sword dagger becomes far less grim in its reforged form. I miss the original.

Carbonox

Well thanks Amazon UK/Royal Mail for being completely shit and making my day off work a waste!

It's bad enough waiting 3 extra days than the rest of the world but now I'll likely be waiting until Monday. Never again.

Same here (well aside from the taking a day off part). Game won't get here from them until Monday.

ZeroX03

Banned
They need to put a lot more effort into the story for the sequel, as well as change the structure in which it's presented. I agree with what you said except I thibk Origins is better :) haha.

Love this game though.

A sequel would need to be opened up past Mordor. It restricted the places the story could go, gave the game no sense of 'epic' and just left the game visually bland in places. Give us the forests and mountains, maybe a city (my lore knowledge isn't great so I wouldn't know where exactly). I'm sure there's suitable places for the Nemesis system to go, Goblins would be fine for the mountains. LOTR and The Hobbit felt like a journey, I'd love for a sequel to do the same.

Is the story good?

no spoilers plzzzz as i'll be picking it up later on today.

I'm a big fan of the batman games and loved the last AC game so i'm hyped on this.

Just hoping it has a strong story throughout to keep me playing.

It's a little bare bones. The game keeps you playing mostly through the Nemesis system rather than the story, manipulating Uruks and their armies is pretty damn fun.

Fuck it, hate myself (£55 ffs) but just bought digital and will send the Amazon one back when it arrives.

I. Need. This. Game!

Use the US PSN... £38.

Same here (well aside from the taking a day off part). Game won't get here from them until Monday.

Yeah it sucks.

I've just cancelled my other pre-orders from them as it's becoming a bit of a habit of theirs.

I'd rather pay a few more quid from elsewhere or just pick it up on the way home in future.

Kuraudo

Banned
Amazon Prime let me down too. Really unreliable service.

Bought a PS4 at the start of the week and have held off on buying a game for it because I knew this was coming today (almost broke and bought The Last of Us a couple of times). Did all my work early this morning to get home to play it, was devastated to find out it wasn't here (I guess I'm a wee bit stressed at the moment :p).

On the plus side, I went round to Tesco and picked up The Last of Us to make up for it ;)

Looks like you can't. Hopefully it'll return as DLC somewhere down the line, because it's awesome, and should probably have been the default skin. Myself, I'm annoyed about the BestBuy bonus: the Flame of Arnor rune that sets your goddamn sword on fire and incinerates orcs. The other bonus runes are just damage buffs, but a flaming fucking sword?

Oh well. No loss. Guess I'll just slay some Uruk with my hobo cape.

Kneecap

I hope someone can help me or has had these problems:
* The DLC mission that steam says I have installed is a mystery to me and I can't seem to find it. Does anyone know how to access this mission?
* The talent Caragor Hunter that is story gated has not opened for me even tho I am 13/20 missions in, am in the 2nd area and have unlocked branding. What gives? Bug?
*I notice that when I grab an orc I have the choice to Dominate or Brand. Does anyone know what the difference is?

Otherwise, great game. I loved the Arkham combat model and adding lethal weapons just makes it much better.

Garryk

It's so hard to complete a story mission in this game. I get so caught up with side-quests and collectibles and killing captains on the way to the next waypoint.

ZeroX03

Banned
I hope someone can help me or has had these problems:
* The DLC mission that steam says I have installed is a mystery to me and I can't seem to find it. Does anyone know how to access this mission?
* The talent Caragor Hunter that is story gated has not opened for me even tho I am 13/20 missions in, am in the 2nd area and have unlocked branding. What gives? Bug?
*I notice that when I grab an orc I have the choice to Dominate or Brand. Does anyone know what the difference is?

Otherwise, great game. I loved the Arkham combat model and adding lethal weapons just makes it much better.

Brand just brands them. Dominate brands them and gives you additional options like to extract intel. I find dominating gets interrupted less so I always just use that.

Kneecap

Brand just brands them. Dominate brands them and gives you additional options like to extract intel. I find dominating gets interrupted less so I always just use that.

Sorry for the spam replies, but thanks also. A few things are not well explained or taught in this otherwise GOTY game. Like interrogate and this. Appreciate the explanation and tip.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Those nemesis with fucking poison weapons frustrate the hell out of me. Those fuckers killed me 3 or 4 times in a row last night.

For some reason I really suck at hitting X at the prompts. I always get hit by the Caragors too.

owlbeak

You can cancel it. My release day copy was not going to be delivered until the day after, I got on Amazon support chat and told them to contact the carrier and return to sender and refund my money. They did it with no questions. I just went down to the store and picked it up instead.

That doesn't help with not being able to get it since you're at work, though :[

Top Bottom