• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor |OT| One Title to rule them all

Mordeccai

Yeah, the lighting in this game really is awesome. Sometimes I'll be running on a cliff by the sea into a sun set and I have to momentarily shift my eyes, it feels like a real sun glare is hitting them.

Wrapped up the story earlier, sitting at 90%. Gotta finish up the slave missions and nab seven more achievements.

Pretty glad I got the season pass, when they release more content it will give me a convenient excuse to pick the game back up once I 100% it.

nynt9

Can't be bothered to talk about the other points but this

- The animations really are ripped from Assassin's Creed. No doubt about it. And even though they are silky smooth and look good, it just feels like I'm playing the same series. To make the ripped off argument seem even more plausible, the non character animations (of the trolls and animal things) are really, really bad. (even worse when riding them)

is really freaking stupid. That's not how animations work. You can't just "rip" animations from one game and put it into another one. Games have different animation systems and content pipelines. And Talion has a bunch of climbing animations that are not in AC at all.

Obviously the nonhuman animations aren't going to be as good as the humans because performance capture and/or motion capture was used for the human animations.

Grief.exe

I'm finding it extremely dumb how easy it is to accidentally kill an enemy you're trying to brand.

This captain's surrounded by enemies, so I'm killing all the enemies, and every time I get him green and grab him, an enemy shows up and hits me. So I go back, kill them all, he's all angry at defeat, so he regenerates health incredibly fast, so I kill all the enemies, attack him, he's green again, more enemies stop me, I kill them all, he's no longer green, and is low health, standard attack him, he's not turning green, standard attack turns into insta-kill. Now I have to find another captain.

Edit: Progress so far...

Yep, twice tonight when trying to brand Captains I ended up killing them with a wraith flurry. Strange thing is I never picked up that talent. Frustrating.

Pretty glad I got the season pass

Little early for that one.

Yep, twice tonight when trying to brand Captains I ended up killing them with a wraith flurry. Strange thing is I never picked up that talent. Frustrating.

you really should. Wraith flurry+ the head popping finisher plus 1-2 runes that give you health per head pop means you don't have to necessarily run from battle if running low on health.

Nuke Soda

Quit playing this game last night, just not having any fun with it. The nemesis stuff is cool, but I got tired of it after a few hours, not a fan of the combat. Went back to The Last of Us.

shem935

Banned
Had a Warchief with who was almost invulnerable. Guy with a shield, prevents leap over, immune to stealth and combat finishers, poisoned spear, no last chance on death. Brand as many captains as I can and assign them as body guards. Challenge him, activate my agents, laugh maniacally as he is hacked to bits and I'm just chilling.

MattyG

Banned
Had a Warchief with who was almost invulnerable. Guy with a shield, prevents leap over, immune to stealth and combat finishers, poisoned spear, no last chance on death. Brand as many captains as I can and assign them as body guards. Challenge him, activate my agents, laugh maniacally as he is hacked to bits and I'm just chilling.
I love that you can do this. I really hope more games adopt the Nemesis system this gen so we can do stuff like this in more games.

Soi-Fong

How the fuck do you brand captains?! lol

sdornan

I hope this game sells well. Monolith deserves it. (Plus I want a sequel.) Funny comparing the positive response that this game is getting and the small amount of prerelease hype vs. another game that came out recently.

shem935

Banned

Well normally I just fight them until they are low on health and "dominate their minds" and make them double agents. Then once I have enough I have the best challenge the warchief and either then dominate the chief or let him die and my guy step up. It's a skill you pick up later.

You need to get to the second area of the game and do a couple of the missions for
the queen
you'll know when you have the ability because the missions basically are meant for you to learn about this ability.

It's amazing though because you can also brand regular enemies as well. This means I don't have to kill regular enemies when hunting somebody. I can brand them and then let them loose.

Fee

Can someone who has completed the story clarify something for me? I think i have a bugged trophy.
This trophy http://psnprofiles.com/trophy/2934-Middle-earth-Shadow-of-Mordor/9-For-My-Brother is I'm assuming what you get for completing the story mission where you kill the Gruag that killed that dwarfs brother right? It's a hidden trophy, it's placed in with the story missions, and where it is in the sequence implies that's when it should of popped. But i have completed all story missions and I don't have it. Is it bugged?

Jawmuncher

So there's only 20 story missions.
Just finished 18. Feels odd that a
attack on a fishing dock
and something else will be the last missions.
Guessing the last mission is a long one?

Wow, I initially released a not-warg because this Warchief was feared by them (seriously, Fearing an enemy is WAY more useful than I anticipated) and apparantly his bodyguard fears them too! The amputator lost his leg, lol

1024x639.resizedimage

haaaa that happened in my playtrough too! was fightinga captain and suddenly some random captain got killed by a caragor

RedWolf

Neo Member
Really digging this game so far. I haven't gotten too deep into the Nemesis system because I've been messing around and collecting items, but I have this one dude who has killed me like 4 times.

So far this is my surprise of the year.

FK that war chief Orthag (think that's his name) the bloated.

Exploited his fear of fire and this dude hauled ass and had me chasing him for 10 min straight almost across the entire map. Tried every trick in the book, shooting arrows at his feet, getting speed boosts, slowing down time and he still outsped me.

His death was very satisfying.

caleb1915

So when you lob off a captains head that means he wont be coming back for you down the line right?

And goddamn, fighting 3 captains with all them talking shit about the last time we fought, and one asking if you're gonna live up to the hype you'vre caused in the game so far, just to win by the skin of my teeth and slicing off each of their heads in slow motion is one of the most satisfying things in a game I've ever played.

I was going to show off my army of 15 captains, but then 2 of them died while I was trying to gain another. I really don't like how they occupy the same forts as enemy captains, and decide to fight for you even without you telling them to. Now I have more work to do.

Edit: Problem fixed? They came back from the grave.

Exhausted, but gave this an hour and it seems promising for something that feels an awful lot like an AC game at first impression. Combat is serviceable but somewhat disjointed at the start. Being able to just hold a button forever for traversal is always a waste in every game. It's got a hook in me though all the same.

This game is really fun. Reminds me of my time with the first Uncharted on PS3. A game that I enjoyed despite its flaws, but I knew would be a lot more polished the second time around. No one seems to mention how great the voice acting is. Going to put in sum game time this weekend. Eat, play, shit.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Ha!

I finally put a permanent end to my nemesis, Golm, the Shadow. This fucker has been a thorn in my side for the 10 hours I've been playing this game. He rose the ranks to a Level 20 Elite Captain, and just would not leave me alone! Finally, he confronted me alone, and I put an end to him.

Check it out here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Nwk66e0ttM&feature=youtu.be

I'd like to say I feel empty now, but no, me and my wife were dancing in the room. Burn in hell, Golm, you fuck.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
I wasn't expecting much from the story/ending in the first place but
the final fight is a QuickTime event.... seriously? And after Talion decides to stay because of ring corruption? I I know the developer needed to keep the possibility of a sequel open but to have your main character completely turn against his main motivating factor for the first 99% of the story without properly addressing it is just lazy.

Edit: the whole Lord of the Rings portion of the game was lacking honestly. You could have thrown any skin on the nemesis system + this gameplay and I would have been just as pleased with the product.

antitrop

Think he is referring to Diablo 3. Where an enemy that kills you can show up in a friends game?

Yup, super basic compared to Mordor, but effective for what it is. The Diablo III Nemesis will grow in power as it eats through a friends list, but when someone finally kills it, it gives a Legendary item to the spawner of the Nemesis.

I had a friend avenge my death in Mordor, but I'm not sure if I profited from that in any way.

You know what is awesome?

Branding five Orcs, getting them to bodyguard status and one to Warchief status, summoning them, and then detonating.

Five high level runes.

Rune Farming, bitches. Life finds a way.

Most amazing thing about the system in games like Diablo 3 and this game...is that how much more can be done with it in future titles. I love this "social" aspect in single player games. It allows unique gameplay elements to be added to single player, yet still giving it that social online feel too.

I've been impressed and definitely look forward to what can be done in the future.

Aces&Eights

I have the perk of shooting a fleeing enemy and making him stick to the ground so you can catch him. Problem is, I can't get it to work. I've tried shooting them in the leg as they run but either my aim really sucks or maybe they are too far away?

I've been glued to this game for days. Holy shit I can't believe how good it is. Pure, raw, genuine fun.

My best nemesis moment thus far was trying to take down an elite captain, and while fighting him, not one, not two, but THREE more captains showed to back him up out of no where! And I only had intel on one of them, so it was a total guessing game to figure out how to take them out. It was so intimidating watching them all call me out one by one.

What ensued was an intense battle across the whole stronghold. 4 dead captains, one decapitated, and an epic rune out of the deal. One does not simply fuck with me in Mordor.

I have to say, this has been the only AAA game this year that has delivered for me. After getting burned with Thief, Watch Dogs, and Destiny, I'm glad that something other than D4 is picking up the slack this year.

I have the perk of shooting a fleeing enemy and making him stick to the ground so you can catch him. Problem is, I can't get it to work. I've tried shooting them in the leg as they run but either my aim really sucks or maybe they are too far away?
Try aiming right for their foot.

Edit: the whole Lord of the Rings portion of the game was lacking honestly. You could have thrown any skin on the nemesis system + this gameplay and I would have been just as pleased with the product.

This is my only beef with the game so far. Something tells me the familiar setting was a marketing choice. I'd love a sequel that takes you to different locales all over Middle Earth, with a tighter plot and more fleshed out characters.

Thankfully the gameplay is practically flawless, so the not so stellar story doesn't sting much. Contrast this with Destiny, where everybody really notices the paper thin plot because the game is about as fun as watching paint dry.

Mayyhem

23% in and i've played 21 hours....

Why is it taking so long for me? I'm far from bad at the game, and I'm not even doing any of the side stuff I swear I've just been doing main missions and killing/branding all the warchiefs...

I'm currently at the second area in the game and how do you this? Are there only two areas in the game?

either skills or missions. If you just started the second area do the story missions that specifically deal with the group that know about the wraith. Once you get branding there are skills in the trees for death threats, etc...

I wasn't expecting much from the story/ending in the first place but
the final fight is a QuickTime event.... seriously? And after Talion decides to stay because of ring corruption? I I know the developer needed to keep the possibility of a sequel open but to have your main character completely turn against his main motivating factor for the first 99% of the story without properly addressing it is just lazy.

Yeah the whole glowing red eyes at the end and him wanting another ring was super lazy I think.

23% in and i've played 21 hours....

Why is it taking so long for me? I'm far from bad at the game, and I'm not even doing any of the side stuff I swear I've just been doing main missions and killing/branding all the warchiefs...

Did you sleep with the game on? lol. I think it took me 30 hours for 100% and platinum.

I even branded the entire orc tribe
in the second area

Man, how the hell do I unlock the outfit that I got for preordering the (digital) game? I can't find it on the PSN store or anything. Just stays locked in the menu.

Man, how the hell do I unlock the outfit that I got for preordering the (digital) game? I can't find it on the PSN store or anything. Just stays locked in the menu.

Did you put in the code from the box, or wherever the digital version would be lol

for the digital version:

go to the game's PSN store page.

where the "buy now" would be there's a drop down menu. Click it.

There should be two options, one that says "Free" download that.

It won't redownload the game, but it'll add the DLC content

I'm making a pretty slow progression story wise because I'm trying to do a lot of collecting and weapon missions.

What caught me off guard was the
second area
of the game. Really adds a lot to it.

BigDug13

As far as addictive gameplay that makes me never want to stop, I think this is my GOTY so far. I think I'll have a difficult time playing through an AC or Arkham game after this one.

Top Bottom