• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor |OT| One Title to rule them all

Nyx

I just started this but is it just me or is it really fucking hard to parse what's going on on the HUD?

It takes awhile getting used to everything, the first hour for me was not the best hour. But when it ''clicks'', oh boy..

I just started this but is it just me or is it really fucking hard to parse what's going on on the HUD?

Don't be afraid to go into the options and turn most of that shit off. Game is totally playable with HUD elements and button prompts turned off

antitrop

It takes awhile getting used to everything, the first hour for me was not the best hour. But when it ''clicks'', oh boy..
Yeah, I actually enjoyed the minor sense of overwhelmingness when I first started the game.

I'm used to most open-world games being slow-paced and boring as fuck. Pleasant surprise from SoM that it just throws you into a Mordor full of Orcs and says "Figure out what you can and can't handle!". Good shit.

I thought the learning curve was nearly perfect.

Wasdie

Neo Member
Quick question, how's the PS4 version? I know it's 1080p and I've seen the graphics and they are basically set to the higher settings of the PC but I'm interested in the framerate. Is it locked at 30? Does it keep steady?

I do have a PC powerful enough to play the game on ultra (and 1440p) minus the crazy high textures, but Shadow of Mordor feels more like a console game to me and I would rather just get it on the PS4.

antitrop

Hey guys, is anyone else suffering from input lag when aiming with the bow? I can't aim with it without hating the world and everything in it.

And no, it's not my setup as I use a gaming monitor and this is the only game with this issue.
Aiming the bow is hard as fuck, it feels floaty as shit. I turned down the aiming sensitivity to almost zero and it's still hard to aim. I don't use the bow very often, because of it.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Yeah, I actually enjoyed the minor sense of overwhelmingness when I first started the game.

I'm used to most open-world games being slow-paced and boring as fuck. Pleasant surprise from SoM that it just throws you into a Mordor full of Orcs and says "Figure out what you can and can't handle!". Good shit.

Yea I definately felt overwhelmed but I'm starting to get into it after about 90 mins. Tried to do one of the confrontation missions and was crushed.

Do the orcs eventually vacate the areas? Seems there are huge groups of them everywhere so I feel I have to sneak all of the time just to avoid huge fights every 2 seconds. Also I thought the captains appeared on the minimap but twice now they have just shown up halfway through a fight with normal enemies

Quick question, how's the PS4 version? I know it's 1080p and I've seen the graphics and they are basically set to the higher settings of the PC but I'm interested in the framerate. Is it locked at 30? Does it keep steady?

I do have a PC powerful enough to play the game on ultra (and 1440p) minus the crazy high textures, but Shadow of Mordor feels more like a console game to me and I would rather just get it on the PS4.

I don't know if it's locked but it's definitely 30 fps and there do not appear to be any drops. I have a decent PC and I am not regretting getting the PS4 version as I also feel it's a console game.

Sober

Aiming the bow is hard as fuck, it feels floaty as shit. I turned down the aiming sensitivity to almost zero and it's still hard to aim. I don't use the bow very often, because of it.
Yeah there is way too much acceleration or lag for it to be really fun to use often, I only use it in rare cases like sniping a hunting or crossbow uruk that's way too far from the fight or to snipe an exploding barrel.

With games like this with a supernatural element, I think it'd be pretty cool if instead of a normal fast travel, you just become a spirit and it fires you into the air and you kind of fly towards your destination, with a full view of the world below. No direct control so you wouldn't be able to break it with playable flight, but just something to look cool, keep the immersion and essentially perform the same function.

I imagine that'd be very intensive on the consoles and normal PCs though

edit: Reading that over, I sound like an 8-year old describing my dream game

antitrop

With games like this with a supernatural element, I think it'd be pretty cool if instead of a normal fast travel, you just become a spirit and it fires you into the air and you kind of fly towards your destination, with a full view of the world below. No direct control so you wouldn't be able to break it with playable flight, but just something to look cool, keep the immersion and essentially perform the same function.

Basically like an accelerated Gryphon ride between checkpoints in WoW?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

Infamous: Festival of Blood had something like this and it was playable. You could turn into a swarm of bats and free fly around the world.

El-Suave

I like the DS4 speaker action in this game, feels very appropriate for messages from the ghost world.
Usually my play sessions are much shorter than what I would think the GAF average is, but for the past two days I've spent 7 hours per day on this. That speaks for the quality of the game. The war chiefs have been amazing, I love their little intro choir. The most annoying one so far was "the drooler", he didn't say a word, just taunted me by grunting and drooling. Decapitating him after he killed me once was so satisfying.

Hmm, I’m worried now. I ordered from Amazon and there is no tracking info on my order like there usually is. Won’t get home til 7.30 so it may be delivered, it may not. It’s like Schrödinger’s package. They sometimes leave packages with the owner of the shop I live above but not always.

Ah well, I’m working tomorrow and then seeing Dragonforce in the evening, then visiting the in-laws on Sunday so won’t have much time over the weekend to play it any way.

Teletraan1

Banned

My learning curve was not as smooth. My first battle with a captain was very close to where I started and resulted in 2 other captains showing up after a prolonged battle and some scrub mob from across the map shooting me with a bow and ranking up. The next time my health gets low some other Captain shows up destroys me and says something about how he told his mates he would gut me when I was close to death. The game is really starting to piss me off at this point so I go after that guy. While I am about to kill him some huge dog comes out of nowhere that I could see (thanks fov) and destroys me. I go at him again and get killed by the same scrub mob turned Captain that killed me the first time. I shut the game off for a half hour and then went back and just screwed around for a bit and the game clicked and then I got my revenge on them all.

The game is pretty great outside of imo throwing you into some heavy situations seemingly at random too early and way before you actually get any abilities. The starting little zone shouldn't just be throwing 3 of those guys at you right away when you have no tools imo. I also don't like skills being locked behind missions and story progression. In these types of games I like to do all the side stuff first.

Siegmeyer

Chalk me up as another Amazon UK customer who didn't get his copy today. Sucks, they're usually great with release day stuff and I'm not even a Prime member. If it doesn't come tomorrow this'll be a real shitty weekend.

bryanee

Got my copy from Amazon today. One of the pre-order codes they sent me via email didn't work though but they did replace it.

Good game so far, combat is straight up Arkham as already mentioned but its feels a little sluggish, especially when compared to Arkham City.

Don't be afraid to go into the options and turn most of that shit off. Game is totally playable with HUD elements and button prompts turned off
As a plasma owner that's good to hear you can pick and choose what you want showing on the hud. Every game should have that option as well as opacity sliders.

This is probably common knowledge, but when aiming the bow in slomo you move very quickly. Useful when trying to catch running Captains without pinning down ability.

Nephtes

Haven't seen a thread on this yet... Someone on Reddit posted this image from Gamespot's Shadows of Mordor comparison video:

http://imgur.com/rGxXkbM

Was there a "stealth parity patch" involved here? I thought it was 900p on Xbox One? Or am I just the last one hearing this news?

Catdaddy

Yeah there is way too much acceleration or lag for it to be really fun to use often, I only use it in rare cases like sniping a hunting or crossbow uruk that's way too far from the fight or to snipe an exploding barrel.

Good, I thought it was just me, mine is almost to zero as well and hard to aim.

Same here. I wasn't feeling the game at all and then suddenly it all fell into place. It is SO much fun.

I haven't even bothered with many missions; It is just good to go around making everyone's life a misery.

Patroclos

Banned
Haven't seen a thread on this yet... Someone on Reddit posted this image from Gamespot's Shadows of Mordor comparison video:

Was there a "stealth parity patch" involved here? I thought it was 900p on Xbox One? Or am I just the last one hearing this news?

Haha. Not that anyone here knows of. Consensus has been 900 xbox, 1080 ps4. It's Gamespot...

Do you have to do poison the grog mission to advance story?

I hate that one. Only negative so far. Forcing stealth when it's an option otherwise isn't cool.

Any advice for that part? The guards keep seeing me after I poison 2-3 barrels?

Tom Penny

I5 2500 k
4 gb RAM
Gtx 470

Everything on high except textures In mid and tesselation off

Runs at 35-45 fps

I laugh at consoles at this moment :')

Game runs fine on a my GTX 460. Haven't really figured the game out though. Just kind of roaming around. I really really suck at that chance you get to not die when the circle is on the screen and you get the button prompt.

Tagg9

Gamespot doesn't know shit. Wait for Digital Foundry to give their verdict.

bargeparty

So is there no way to just get subtitles for the Uruk...speaking parts only? I hate subtitles for English and I just notified watching Jim Sterling play that I missed some dialogue from the Black Hand because it wasn't in English and they didn't auto-subtitle it.

My learning curve was not as smooth. My first battle with a captain was very close to where I started and resulted in 2 other captains showing up after a prolonged battle and some scrub mob from across the map shooting me with a bow and ranking up. The next time my health gets low some other Captain shows up destroys me and says something about how he told his mates he would gut me when I was close to death. The game is really starting to piss me off at this point so I go after that guy. While I am about to kill him some huge dog comes out of nowhere that I could see (thanks fov) and destroys me. I go at him again and get killed by the same scrub mob turned Captain that killed me the first time. I shut the game off for a half hour and then went back and just screwed around for a bit and the game clicked and then I got my revenge on them all.

The game is pretty great outside of imo throwing you into some heavy situations seemingly at random too early and way before you actually get any abilities. The starting little zone shouldn't just be throwing 3 of those guys at you right away when you have no tools imo. I also don't like skills being locked behind missions and story progression. In these types of games I like to do all the side stuff first.

Dude, the same almost happened to me, I was fighting one captain after I killed his guard then 3 more showed up, so I ran like a bitch up a tower and one by one I stealth killed the mob and captains until all I had left were the ones who couldn't be stealth killed.

Braag

Video comparisons are useless because of all the compressions.
High quality screenshots show the difference much clearer (if there is any).

Patroclos

Banned
Damn. This game is taking off. I sleep in today and wake up to many new pages in this thread. Not to mention, Friends who play this number on PS4 is creeping up. Up to 25 out of 230 or so from 7 on release day.

My morning; Wake up. Get coffee. Check Gaf SoM thread. See paid review and unoriginal/boring comments starting. See many pages piling up. Smile. Think to myself, "Yep, this one is doing well."

Only negative for me is the audio seems kinda low on my gold headset. Anyone have any ideas on how to raise it? I have the volume all the way high.

jbdqpbYlWZNYu2.jpg

Linkyn

Is it possible that there is a supply issue for the PC version in the UK? I had to go all over town to different stores to find a copy of the game - apparently, nobody got any in.

Raptor

So this has your seal of approval?

But D3 and Spec Ops seal not Wolfie seal.

Grief.exe

Do you have to do poison the grog mission to advance story?

I hate that one. Only negative so far. Forcing stealth when it's an option otherwise isn't cool.

Any advice for that part? The guards keep seeing me after I poison 2-3 barrels?

Yep, the failure states in that one were terrible.

MacBosse

God damn this game.

I had this awesome veteran captain who had been kinda off my radar for too long so he got promotion after promotion and all of the sudden he was all kinds of brutal. He had leveled up to something like 14 or something and no other captain was even close. So I scouted a dude who knew some info and took what I needed. Oh lord, the monster of a captain had god damned everything that I had difficulty facing. No vault over. No stun. Lots of minions around. Immune to alot except ... stealth. Oh yes.

So I found the dude in his area casualy walking around in his camp. Cocky as hell by the looks of it. I stalked him, biding my time in the shadows. Lots of orcs around so I wanted to do this stealthy and sweet. I saw my chance when he rounded a tent. Got up behind him, grabbed him and slit his throat. 'No one is safe my friend' i whispered in his ear as he fell silently to the ground.

This god damned game.

JCizzle

God damn this game.

I had this awesome veteran captain who had been kinda off my radar for too long so he got promotion after promotion and all of the sudden he was all kinds of brutal. He had leveled up to something like 14 or something and no other captain was even close. So I scouted a dude who knew some info and took what I needed. Oh lord, the monster of a captain had god damned everything that I had difficulty facing. No vault over. No stun. Lots of minions around. Immune to alot except ... stealth. Oh yes.

So I found the dude in his area casualy walking around in his camp. Cocky as hell by the looks of it. I stalked him, biding my time in the shadows. Lots of orcs around so I wanted to do this stealthy and sweet. I saw my chance when he rounded a tent. Got up behind him, grabbed him and slit his throat. 'No one is safe my friend' i whispered in his ear as he fell silently to the ground.

This god damned game.

My man

After playing both the PC and PS4 versions, I'm fairly certain the game swarms you with captains right away to get the Nemesis system rolling. On my PS4 playthrough today I found myself facing 7 captains at once shortly after being dropped into the world.
I ran

Also, the game desperately needs a stealth toggle.

Top Bottom