• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor |OT| One Title to rule them all

leng jai

I was actually agreeing with you. There are very few things in game that actually scream LOTR at all, and it's mostly in the exposition parts. Not the gameplay or even setting (which has been done to death in so many games that were based off of LOTR in the first place...).

Agreed from what I've seen so far. I was responding to Alucrid's post mainly.

Holy **** this game has some epic moments in battle.

I was scouting a group of uruks from high above. I shot a nest and then shot the lock on some cages to let out Caragors. The uruks all started running around in a panic only for me to then shoot a bonfire.

bryanee

I love it when tracking the war chiefs, you find them and that chanting music kicks in. It sound great with the gold headset on.

dawid

Wish you could see how many enemies you've killed in the game. Feels like a few thousands in just a few hours playtime..

Sanctuary

That was my point. It's not a LotR game, it's a Middle-Earth game, and Middle-Earth is huge.

That makes very little sense. When someone says LOTR they are obviously talking about Middle-Earth and what people had imagined from reading the books or what was seen on screen. Mordor was also a major plot point in LOTR too.

BouncyFrag

Holy **** this game has some epic moments in battle.

I was scouting a group of uruks from high above. I shot a nest and then shot the lock on some cages to let out Caragors. The uruks all started running around in a panic only for me to then shoot a bonfire.
I shot a lock for the first time today and felt like a kid again when the caragor batted the cage door open. In an odd way SoM reminds me of Oblivion with all the random things that can happen. The distinction here though is that SoM's random events are usually awesome and Oblivion's are batshit crazy, but still entertaining.

Siegmeyer

They try to, but if you have the perk you can shoot him in the foot and pin him so you can take him out.

Thanks for the tip B-Dubs. I just took him out in a really drawn out (but enjoyable) affair. I stealthed around the battlements taking out his bodyguards first, but it took forever to lure the Warchief towards some fire. Finally exploded a barrel by him and he takes off running. I must have chased him down for a good five minutes, pinning him each time but having to fight off other Uruks so I coudln't deal with him. Finally got him alone, pinned him then shanked the shit out of him. It was brutal, he took like five separate shankings to go down for good.

This game.

I just had my first "get good" moment.

I was attacking a Captain that had an power level of 3 and all of a sudden I got attacked by the same archer captain that killed me twice already.

He just shot one arrow at me, poisoned that is and basically said "I will see you when you finally get better" and walked away.

Needless to say I got butchered by the rest since I was low on health.

Incredible.

Messiah

I just had my first "get good" moment.

I was attacking a Captain that had an power level of 3 and all of a sudden I got attacked by the same archer captain that killed me twice already.

He just shot one arrow at me, poisoned that is and basically said "I will see you when you finally get better" and walked away.

Needless to say I got butchered by the rest since I was low on health.

Incredible.
I attacked a warchief and he put me into last stand mode with like 3 swings while I couldn't get a single swing on him. Then he proceeds to mock me and casually walks away leaving me in shamefully sitting on my knees. Some time later I recovered. Turns out he has the perk that makes him not finish unworthy foes.

I could spend hours just interacting with the captains/warchiefs

Ein Bear

Have to say I'm being disappointingly 'lucky' in this. I'm halfway through and haven't had a single Captain come back from the dead more than once, and those guys have been few and far between. I keep one-shotting everyone I meet and lopping their heads off.

J4g3r

Have to say I'm being disappointingly 'lucky' in this. I'm halfway through and haven't had a single Captain come back from the dead more than once, and those guys have been few and far between. I keep one-shotting everyone I meet and lopping their heads off.

This hasn't stopped people coming back for me.

I've decapitated the same Uruk 3 times and each time he's come back looking gradually worse.

Last time I saw him, he had rope wrapped around his face/neck like this:

0.jpg

Someone told me that if you can still see their corpse on the Sauron's Army screen, they have a chance of coming back.

EDIT: It just happened again. First time he lost his helmet, second time he had the rope wrapped around his face.

Also, read his motive.

Calderc

Man, I'm having real trouble with a Captain. He's immune to almost everything, only scared of Graug's and I've got no idea where to find one and fires which he's never around. He can be injured by ranged attacks but I keep running out!

Sanctuary

Man, I'm having real trouble with a Captain. He's immune to almost everything, only scared of Graug's and I've got no idea where to find one and fires which he's never around. He can be injured by ranged attacks but I keep running out!

Depends on how far along you are, but there's an upgrade that allows you to shoot fire arrows. What I don't like about that upgrade though is that it doesn't work on enemies that are immune to ranged, even if their weakness is fire...I mean WTF?

Every time I try to kiss an orc, I accidentally kill him :(

edit: haha.

Sanctuary

Lol I was trying to be funny, but I guess I failed miserably. :D

Read this: http://www.polygon.com/2014/10/1/6880061/shadow-mordor-kissing-design

No, it was funny after the above poster reminded me of the prologue.

And holy shit, what is up with these emo Polygon articles? The last one I read was talking about how they felt physically sick or something at the moral choices they had to make while playing this game in an earlier preview. I thought they were just being sarcastic, but it seems like they really believe this shit or are just trying to stir up some random ass debate to seem sophisticated. I read the credits at the end of the article, but that still doesn't really change anything in regards to what Polygon has been throwing up lately.

Jamie OD

Depends on how far along you are, but there's an upgrade that allows you to shoot fire arrows. What I don't like about that upgrade though is that it doesn't work on enemies that are immune to ranged, even if their weakness is fire...I mean WTF?

Does the fire only start if you hit the target? Would firing at the ground in front of him do anything to spook him?

Only 3? I had 6 all together today, I just ran off.

That sounds extremely frustrating. I wonder why they chose to make it so you're sometimes surrounded by 3 or 6 captains and the sometimes spawning out of nowhere Orc/Uruks.

This would be so much better if Orcs/Uruks didn't just respawn as soon as you turned your back. I want to be able to clear a location and fight the captain one on one, not have to clear a location, start fighting the captain and then have to worry about more captains or henchmen appearing out of basically nowhere.

Kaversmed

No, it was funny after the above poster reminded me of the prologue.

And holy shit, what is up with these emo Polygon articles? The last one I read was talking about how they felt physically sick or something at the moral choices they had to make while playing this game in an earlier preview. I thought they were just being sarcastic, but it seems like they really believe this shit or are just trying to stir up some random ass debate to seem sophisticated.

Yeah, that article is pure horseshit. I do get what he's saying but using the tutorial in SoM as an example of bad design is just moronic.

leng jai

That sounds extremely frustrating. I wonder why they chose to make it so you're sometimes surrounded by 3 or 6 captains and the sometimes spawning out of nowhere Orc/Uruks.

This would be so much better if Orcs/Uruks didn't just respawn as soon as you turned your back. I want to be able to clear a location and fight the captain one on one, not have to clear a location, start fighting the captain and then have to worry about more captains or henchmen appearing out of basically nowhere.

It's frustrating as hell and feels like an artificial way to bump up the difficulty. People in this thread claim they're just captains that were already in the area but after 10 hours I'm pretty convinced they just randomly teleport to your location in the middle of fights.

Sanctuary

It's frustrating as hell and feels like an artificial way to bump up the difficulty. People in this thread claim they're just captains that were already in the area but after 10 hours I'm pretty convinced they just randomly teleport to your location in the middle of fights.

They do that. I know for a fact that they do that. After it happened twice, I thought maybe I had simply not scouted well enough before engaging; and in the case of those first two instances maybe I didn't. But it happened all throughout the game at various points where I had been thorough in my scouting and no other elites were around anywhere within visual range. I also know that the fights did not last long enough for them to have randomly roamed in from a few thousand feet away either. One of my only three deaths was due to one of these teleports and it was an archer who two-shot me for 90% health and he also happened to poison me.

Just like I know this is true as well, despite Monolith claiming otherwise:

This hasn't stopped people coming back for me.

I've decapitated the same Uruk 3 times and each time he's come back looking gradually worse.

They do that. I know for a fact that they do that. After it happened twice, I thought maybe I had simply not scouted well enough before engaging; and in the case of those first two instances maybe I didn't. But it happened all throughout the game at various points where I had been thorough in my scouting and no other elites were around anywhere within visual range. I also know that the fights did not last long enough for them to have randomly roamed in from a few thousand feet away either.

Just like I know this is true as well, despite Monolith claiming otherwise:

Yeah, there's definitely an element of them spawning into the area. I was playing earlier, decided to kill a captain who took me down last night, made sure to check he was the only captain in the area using wraith sight and what happens when I engage him?

Another captain appears out of absolutely nowhere, game cuts to him shouting something about meeting again when I hadn't seen him before and then I die as I'm surrounded by close to 10 Orc/Uruks and two captains...one which I didn't have any weakness info on.

It's a great game, but some gameplay decisions are really leaving me frustrated as well as scratching my head.

Speaking of entering wraith mode, why the hell can Orks/Uruks see you? Is it a glitch/bug?

Sanctuary

Speaking of entering wraith mode, why the hell can Orks/Uruks see you? Is it a glitch/bug?

I thought you were turning into a wraith as well, but as another poster pointed out pages back it's more like you're just seeing through the eyes of Celebrimor than actually turning into a wraith. Then I mentioned the fact that you can jump between Middle-Earth and the Shadow Realm when bow teleporting, so who knows?

The ps3 and 360 have a gimped version of nemesis.

Yes, I know. Read what I quoted however.

I thought you were turning into a wraith as well, but as another poster pointed out pages back it's more like you're just seeing through the eyes of Celebrimor than actually turning into a wraith. Then I mentioned the fact that you can jump between Middle-Earth and the Shadow Realm when bow teleporting, so who knows?

Huh, it's strange. I thought you were entering the shadow realm as well, but I guess it makes sense you only see through Celebrimor's eyes.

I haven't unlocked bow teleporting yet. Is that a story upgrade or can you unlock it doing those weapon challenges?

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Had my first decapitated come back yesterday. Shouted something about being stopped by losing his head.
Dark magic is driving these Uruk.

Sanctuary

Appearently the main Story is like 20 hours +. but with side missions you could probably go on 50 too.

Uh no. The story is around six hours. The game takes 20 - 30 to complete everything. Some have gained all achievements in 20 and I finished with 80% of all the side missions with every upgrade in 17. Of course YMMV depending on how much you die. /shrug

Huh, it's strange. I thought you were entering the shadow realm as well, but I guess it makes sense you only see through Celebrimor's eyes.

I haven't unlocked bow teleporting yet. Is that a story upgrade or can you unlock it doing those weapon challenges?

You need to just focus on doing
the Gollum missions. It's the second or third that unlocks that ability.

Kamina

Golden Boy
Uh no. The story is around six hours. The game takes 20 - 30 to complete everything. Some have gained all achievements in 20 and I finished with 80% of all the side missions with every upgrade in 17.
If that was true i'd have finished the game alteady. And I'm not a slow player. This also contradics all of the reviews I watched.
I also think we shouldn't use players who rush though as standard.

Sanctuary

If that was true i'd have finished the game alteady. And I'm not a slow player. This also contradics all of the reviews I watched.

Seriously there are already a handful of people who have posted in this very thread who have done it (all missions/achievements) in 20 hours. Like I also just said, I finished it in seventeen and that was because I was trying to drag the game out. It really is that short. You know the reviews also majorly hyped up the nemesis system and almost all of them claimed to have died "repeatedly" to a very specific Orc. I never experienced any of that, so either they were just really, truly bad at action games (you don't even have to be "good" at them for this game to be easy after a few upgrades) or they were money-hatted to claim as much.

And how the hell is completing everything considered "rushing through" now? Get real.

There comes a point where you gain absolutely nothing from doing the repetitive outcast/collection "missions" unless you just greatly enjoy mundane tasks. Once you have all of your skills and upgrades unlocked (well before the missions are finished) there's no real reason to do them. They aren't challenging either or even varied outside of the weapon missions.

What am I missing? WheelHoss says nemesis is next gen and can't be done on ps3 and you post a picture of the gimped ps3 version.

Probably the fact that he says "The Nemesis system is next-gen" and "can't be done on the PS3" even though it was? Doesn't really matter that it's not identical, it's still on the last gen systems. I also haven't watched any videos of the last gen versions, but I wouldn't be surprised if the main thing it scales back is just the amount of orcs that spawn during an alerted state too.

This game is amazing, I mean amazing. Seriously impressed, and the talk above explains why some of the captains I've killed have come back.. I thought I'd gone mad!

I've just finished the tenth mission (half way through) and have played 9 hours.. it is great. To DLC or not to DLC is the real question.

ST2K

For what it's worth, I have 48 hours on my save (have the platinum) and I could easily see that getting reduced by half if I didn't suck at getting a couple of the trophies and spend so much time aimlessly killing captains.

The game's got some meat to go through, but some players are just more efficient at going through it than others.

That's another thing I feel like doesn't get mentioned enough.. a timer is so good!

Why don't all games include play time stats!? It must be easy to implement?

How are the PS4 exclusive missions? Noteworthy or just a nice extra?

How are the challenge modes? Are they unlockable for those without the season pass or pre-order edition?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Out of curiosity, have Monolith elaborated on how the captain system works on PS3/360?

Kamina

Golden Boy
And how the hell is completing everything considered "rushing through" now? Get real.
You get real. I wasn't adressing the 'complete everything', but the '6 hours main story' you claimed.
You can only get to such number when you rush from one story mission to another and ignore everyhing else, at least when I compare it with how far i got in my game in the same ammount of time.

Main Story is not 20 hours. Not even close. Maybe 7/8 at best.
Okay. I will try to squeeze in more side missions in between story missions then from now on.

leng jai

You get real. I wasn't adressing the 'complete everything', but the '6 hours main story' you claimed.
You can only get to such number when you rush from one story mission to another and ignore everyhing else, at least when I compare it with how far i got in my game in the same ammount of time.

Well that's exactly how one would calculate the length of the story mode...

Sanctuary

It doesn't matter one bit if someone was "rushing through" the game and skipping everything but the plot missions. Know why it doesn't matter? Because whether or not they skipped everything but that, it doesn't change how long those missions alone take to do. Which is six to eight hours. I did however say that your mileage may vary depending on how often you die. If you're constantly dying then I guess tack on five hours?

I didn't even really use Caragors at all to get around either. I only ever mounted them if I wanted to avoid fighting them either out in the wild or in a stronghold. I did however use the swiftness skill whenever there was an opportunity. I also fast traveled like a mofo whenver everything was cleared in the area I was currently at, or if the next objective was at the opposite side of the map. This game has a rather strange sense of distance though. It will say you're thirty feet away from something, when the in game scale clearly shows it's about ten feet, and when something is supposedly six hundred feet away, it literally takes about eight seconds to travel. Running across one side of the map to the other also takes a lot less time than it would appear judging by the mission map.

Top Bottom