• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor |OT| One Title to rule them all

Sanctuary

Fuck this. This makes me angry.

For sure. I was actually looking in game to see if there was some kind of stat tracking, and was a little disappointed when I couldn't find it. Now we see that there is one, it just requires a fucking app on a peripheral outside of the platform you're running the game on?

The Ring of Power is a central part to The Hobbit, would you call a game set during the events of The Hobbit a "LOTR Game"?
And here I thought "LOTR" referred to "Lord of the Rings", not "Lord Of the Rings and all that other stuff that isn't Lord of the Rings but we'll include it anyways because of idiots"

And here I thought Middle-Earth happens to be the setting for LOTR. Oh wait, that's because it is. You're acting like the events from other stories that took place on Middle-Earth were on an entirely different world or some shit when they were not. Someone saying "LOTR" is just using a general and generic reference that is easy to understand. I'm sorry if your elf ears are burning or whatever at the incorrect use of Tolkienese.

I love how viable stealth is in this game. It's drawn a lot of obvious comparisons to the Assassin's Creed series, but actually trying to play those games stealthily is next-to impossible. You inevitably end up getting spotted and having to fight everyone.

Here though, the 'stealth button' and stealth attacks actually work and prevent people from seeing you. With the nemesis system, gathering intel, captains having strengths/weaknesses, and enemy power hierarchys that you can influence, Shadow of Mordor does an infinitely better job of making you feel like an actual 'Assassin' plotting to take down a target than any Creed title manages.

In a lot of ways, it actually feels like a proper evolution and sequel to the design of Assassin's Creed 1, which Ubisoft mostly ditched for AC2.

The stealth is pretty cool in this game (stealth missions were my favorites, although one was pretty annoying), but it can be silly at times. I mean, you can rush up on a squad of six or so orcs that are out on patrol and systematically take them out while they are all still together and none of them notices. Similarly, you can creep right up to one who is literally sitting next to two others and brand it without either of the other two noticing and then do the same thing to them in order.

NIN90

I don't get how I'm supposed to defeat this guy. He's invulnerable to everything but ranged and melee attacks but he's got a shield so I can't attack him from the front and he can't be vaulted. I guess I could try to cheese him somehow with my bow but he resides in the area to the far east which is a stronghold so there's always about 30 Uruks on my ass when I'm fighting him.

Ein Bear

I love how viable stealth is in this game. It's drawn a lot of obvious comparisons to the Assassin's Creed series, but actually trying to play those games stealthily is next-to impossible. You inevitably end up getting spotted and having to fight everyone.

Here though, the 'stealth button' and stealth attacks actually work and prevent people from seeing you. With the nemesis system, gathering intel, captains having strengths/weaknesses, and enemy power hierarchys that you can influence, Shadow of Mordor does an infinitely better job of making you feel like an actual 'Assassin' plotting to take down a target than any Creed title manages.

In a lot of ways, it actually feels like a proper evolution and sequel to the design of Assassin's Creed 1, which Ubisoft mostly ditched for AC2.

cackhyena

Here though, the 'stealth button' and stealth attacks actually work and prevent people from seeing you. With the nemesis system, gathering intel, captains having strengths/weaknesses, and enemy power hierarchys that you can influence, Shadow of Mordor does an infinitely better job of making you feel like an actual 'Assassin' than any Creed title manages.

Yeah, it's done better here for sure. Obviously it's possible because the enemy has shit vision, but that's needed given that they tend to spawn a lot randomly. To have the feeling of being behind enemy lines and surrounded all the time, it would be next to impossible to create a true stealth game.

ViviOggi

I don't get how I'm supposed to defeat this guy. He's invulnerable to everything but ranged and melee attacks but he's got a shield so I can't attack him from the front and he can't be vaulted. I guess I could try to cheese him somehow with my bow but he resides in the area to the far east which is a stronghold so there's always about 30 Uruks on my ass when I'm fighting him.

Try luring him away from his entourage (captains tend to chase you further than regular Uruks), then reengage, give him some bow headshots and wraith stun him from the back after dodging an attack to the side, then just infinite chain wraith stun -> flurry finish -> combat execution to make quick work of him. In case he's immune to finishers you'll have to stop the flurry right before the final hit that triggers the finisher, wraith stun him again, rinse and repeat.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Is there any way to clear out or shut down the fortresses. It's hard to get anything done when there are so many Orcs around. I haven't attacked any of the Warchiefs for this reason

You're acting like the events from other stories that took place on Middle-Earth were on an entirely different world or some shit when they were not. Someone saying "LOTR" is just using a general and generic reference that is easy to understand.
When did I say that? I don't recall saying that at all.

It's like people calling all video game consoles "Nintendo" or how all tablets are "iPads", it's nothing but ignorance on the subject matter they are discussing.

cackhyena

Is there any way to clear out or shut down the fortresses. It's hard to get anything done when there are so many Orcs around. I haven't attacked any of the Warchiefs for this reason

Nope. They'll constantly come back. You just have to get up the nerve to go after the warchief or try to lure him away. You'll still get grunts coming after you but you want that to help build up the combo meter.

Sanctuary

Not really. After you move far enough away from the orcs you've either branded or killed, they just reset/respawn. It's pretty lame in that regard. If you're going to fight an elite in a stronghold, you need to clear out a good section close to where you want to fight. Then, once the fight is about to start, use the Caragor bait if it's in an area other than where you want to fight, and use the wasp (forget the actual name) hives in the general area you're trying to fight in. And obviously use campfires/grog barrels if you have the upgrade.

When did I say that? I don't recall saying that at all.

It's like people calling all video game consoles "Nintendo" or how all tablets are "iPads", it's nothing but ignorance on the subject matter they are discussing.

Do you even know what the genesis of the discussion was, or did you just see some random sentence, homed in on it and then wanted to start arguing about stuff that's entirely irrelevant to the actual argument?

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Nope. They'll constantly come back. You just have to get up the nerve to go after the warchief or try to lure him away. You'll still get grunts coming after you but you want that to help build up the combo meter.

Not really. After you move far enough away from the orcs you've either branded or killed, they just reset/respawn. It's pretty lame in that regard. If you're going to fight an elite in a stronghold, you need to clear out a good section close to where you want to fight. Then, once the fight is about to start, use the Caragor bait if it's in an area other than where you want to fight, and use the wasp (forget the actual name) hives in the general area you're trying to fight in. And obviously use campfires/grog barrels if you have the upgrade.

Do you even know what the genesis of the discussion was, or did you just see some random sentence, homed in on it and then wanted to start arguing about stuff that's entirely irrelevant to the actual argument?

Thanks, I'll give this a try

I got the game this morning on PC. And the game looks amazing on my GTX 660. Still messing with the settings. But I get a rock solid 30fps with high settings on textures. And some features on medium.

The White Rider
Liberate 30 slaves in 180 seconds while riding a caragor.

I've done this two times now, and it still hasn't unlocked the trophy.

and I'm having trouble with this one :/
Burning Vengeance
Perform an Execution on a flaming Berserker.

Staf

Man this game is awesome. Never cared much for lord of the rings (whether it be books or films) but this game is a serious GOTY contender for me!

Jinjo

So I came across this funny fat Uruk, basicly says nothing. Whenever he sees me he just starts snorting and chuckling through his nose. So in trying to take him down he got me down and instead of executing me he just chuckled and walked away! Goddamn smug bastard. While I was away doing some story missions he got himself up to the position of Warchief even. He is on the top of my shit-list right now.

Arkanius

The fuck was that ending:

Did Sauron use Talion as a new vessel? Was the Black Hand, Sauron after all? How the fuck was Celebrimbor finally free to go to Elven Land and hang out with the rest of the dead Elves?

Got this game yesterday due to the all of the positive impressions. I'm loving the combat and everything but Im having trouble understanding the pace of the game. Right now I'm supposed to take down 3 more war chiefs and they each appear to be storie missions, which would put me halfway through the game. I've uncovered Intel on each one of them, if I simply go and accept those missions, am I mainlining the story? How do the missions with the red icons fit in?

IvorB

I am not completely sure if this is exactly what was going on, but I believe
who they were really after was Celebrimor (it's stated Sauron wanted him to rejoin the fold). To get his spirit to return they needed a host body, and it was later revealed that Celebrimor chose Talion...for reasons never explained, or I simply missed. I believe the Black Hand kept doing blood sacrifices trying to draw back Celebrimor, but he never returned until the round of sacrifices landed on Talion. Later on the Black Hand forces Celebrimor out of Talion to force him to merge with him since Celebrimor did not willingly rejoin Sauron.

So it seems that Talion is rather insignificant as far as the Black Hand is concerned.

Thanks for reply. I didn't read it though 'cause I've only just started the game. :)

Man, I'm not of sober mind right now but I thought I would just give it a bash anyway. I died and my killer was promoted to captain and some other dude got upgraded as well just for being around. F**k. I can confirm that one does not simply walk into Mordor.

Arkanius

Got this game yesterday due to the all of the positive impressions. I'm loving the combat and everything but Im having trouble understanding the pace of the game. Right now I'm supposed to take down 3 more war chiefs and they each appear to be storie missions, which would put me halfway through the game. I've uncovered Intel on each one of them, if I simply go and accept those missions, am I mainlining the story? How do the missions with the red icons fit in?

Have you been to the second map yet?
There are two maps. It's not just the grey Mordor, which makes me believe that reviewers never went more than 50% of the game.

Auctopus

Just finished. Quick thoughts: Fun little game, compact open world with just the right amount of stuff to do. Would've been pretty average without the Nemesis system which provides a whole lot of fun and the first genuine emergent gameplay I've experienced in years. Story's a little on the short side but at least it gets to the point and doesn't dally.

More in-depth (possible spoiler stuff):

- What the F at that ending?
I know the story wasn't the strong point of the game but was the Black Hand, Sauron? Is he using Talion as a vessel? It was all over in about 3 minutes. Sequel?
- The Tower I really liked.
Great character design and his stronghold was really intimidating, it's such a shame that his boss fight is a complete cake walk.
- It was a bit easy, I only died when random occurrences like powerful opponents randomly turning up at fights.
- It didn't really feel like a LOTR game until it made another reference.
- Branding should've been introduced way earlier in the game.

I'll be trading it in after I Platinum it but I've really enjoyed it. Great job, Monolith.

Ah not really feeling this game. A few missions into the second area, and I just feel like I'm forcing myself to play. I think this will be one of the rare times I buy a game and don't finish it, going to trade it back to ebgames for credit.

I 100%'d the first area, but I was just kind of going through the motions, and got to a point where I was skipping cutscenes. I guess I'm not really feeling the nemesis system, mostly because at a certain point I just stopped paying attention to the names of captains. 90% of the time I died it was from one of those cougar-beast things.

I do see the appeal of this game though, and I would love to see the nemesis system in other games, like GTA. Personally, I had more fun with Assassin Creed 4, and I barely enjoyed that game too. Keep in mind I pretty much hate every game though (like Gerstmann) , especially games that are derivative of other games.

I wouldnt say it's over-rated, i just think its not for me.

This game gets better and better the more I play.

Liking the combat on PS4 so much that I may have to get the PC version when I upgrade my graphics card. This in 60fps would be great.

For those on PC, how crazy of a rig would you need to get 60 frames?

An-Det

When you kill a captain, what makes their place in the Army screen keep their body versus open up for promotions? Most of mine is dead bodies (now only 4 slots for new captains, I think, but I'm not really sure why they are one or the other.

Just ran in to my first game breaking bug. But it's quite a funny one so I'll forgive them.
After I decapitated my friends murderer, he kept talking and repeating the same line over and over. Had to Alt-F4 out of it to end it.

0A48F48B0D481D0B78065C6CF6F83FD06FCA50F4

D4124CCED8E20C12B8BCAA9183550276CFF8188F

kanuuna

- The Tower I really liked.
Really good voice acting. Troy Baker also put on a good performance.
I really didn't enjoy the dialogue being so dramatized though. I only ever saw the movies, so I don't really know if that's just the Tolkien style.

- It didn't really feel like a LOTR game until it made another reference.
I felt the same way, and I still think they should've went for a new IP. And if Warner is pleased with the sales of Shadows, I hope they grant Monolith freedom to create a spiritual successor set in an all new universe created by the developers rather than have them go for a sequel or prequel.

- It was a bit easy, I only died when random occurrences like powerful opponents randomly turning up at fights.
I had the same experience. Once I got a graps of how the game controls, I never really had any issues.

- What the F at that ending?
I know the story wasn't the strong point of the game but was the Black Hand, Sauron? Is he using Talion as a vessel?
I don't think I was paying attention, but I thought the Black Hand was just an agent of Sauron. But then he turned into Sauron, and I don't think that was an illusion or anything. I don't know. One more reason I'd rather have them make their own universe and explain things on their terms.

KorrZ

11 1/2 hours in and I just got to the second map. I did absolutely everything I could on the first map and have 51% completion so far.

Can't wait to unlock the branding and freshen things up a bit.

So i have this problem on the X1 version it says second area is not installed and that the game is stuck on 85% install.

Is there an solution for this problem?

Is it a good idea to pace myself on the side stuff until I've done enough enough main missions to unlock most of the systems? Spent 4 hours on it yesterday and only did 2 main missions, one of which was forced

Spent most of the time doing slave missions, finding artifacts/Ithidril, gathering intel to fill my Nemesis spots, unlocking towers, collecting plants, doing weapon challenges, a few side missions, a preorder DLC mission and killed a few captains

Are the slave missions endless and recycled or do you hit and end-point with them?

Patroclos

Banned
Have not be been here for a couple days regularly. Ive been playing. I found out that if you turn of mission objectives and the parry icon the game looks cleaner. It is very cool turning off mission objectives because you have to find the orc you have targeted, it only gives you their basic area, not exact location.

Have you guys had the DLC conversation? I bought it and expected challenge rooms. What I got is a system that gives score instead of experience points. No challenge rooms. It is kill X number of war chiefs and X number of bodyguards in however much time. Basically a scored speed run mode where you pick the number of war chiefs. Highly disappointing and should have been called "new game plus".

I love this game but this publisher... Smh... Looking used for WB games from now on if they keep these types of shenanigans up.

Jinjo

So I came across this funny fat Uruk, basicly says nothing. Whenever he sees me he just starts snorting and chuckling through his nose. So in trying to take him down he got me down and instead of executing me he just chuckled and walked away! Goddamn smug bastard. While I was away doing some story missions he got himself up to the position of Warchief even. He is on the top of my shit-list right now.

Continuation of the story: sent out a death threat when killing his first bodyguard to him. Thinking I'd need some help, I searched out his second bodyguard. Stealthbranded him in one of the larger strongholds, it was pretty epic. So I lure out the chief and after branding some mobs I have them turn on him, including the captain. While I am fighting of random Uruks the captain takes it on him to kill the fatty. So not only is my nemesis dead, but now I have a branded Warchief lol.

Loving this game.

megalowho

Started playing this on Friday but really got into it yesterday. Not far into the story at all but I feel like I need to start progressing in order to open up the gameplay, having a good time just hopping around between side missions, orc hierarchy events and collectibles. The AI power structure stuff is definitely impressive, encounters with named enemies feel personal and dynamic. Just killed my first warchief and I'm starting to get into beast riding after ignoring it for a while, very cool mechanic.

Map is a bit hard to read (I keep mindlessly wandering into strongholds) and Mordor is a fairly one note setting but I couldn't put the game down last night. Looked at the clock after a few too many "just one more" objectives and to my surprise it was 5:30am - that hasn't happened in a long time.

Moff

finished the game

yeah I have to admit the game was much better than I thought in the beginning, but its rare that a game shows its strenghts so late in the game. but the nemesis system is really great and led to a lot of joy in those hours. I am absolutely sure this will be copied a lof on the future and I am glad reviewers recognized this.

but still, apart from that the game played fine, but not really more.

Continuation of the story: sent out a death threat when killing his first bodyguard to him. Thinking I'd need some help, I searched out his second bodyguard. Stealthbranded him in one of the larger strongholds, it was pretty epic. So I lure out the chief and after branding some mobs I have them turn on him, including the captain. While I am fighting of random Uruks the captain takes it on him to kill the fatty. So not only is my nemesis dead, but now I have a branded Warchief lol.

Loving this game.

Reading posts like this make me want to buy this even more. Still, gotta stick to my gaming budget...

Levyne

Banned
One thing I really liked is that it was immediately obvious how you could integrate any upgrade into combat as you got further into the game, which wasn't always the case with Arkham gadgets. But to be fair to those games, the gadgets use in combat was secondary to their use out of combat.

Played some more today.

What is really really cool about this game is the fact that it has a truly dynamic enemy system. Something no other game has shown before. The Orcs are living in this world (even though they spawn) and some will even hunt you down even though they never met you before. Some go about trolling the humans, but will fight randomly each other or the wildlife around. It's a very awesome system.

Today's story: I just got the ability to pin enemies with my bow. I was in the brushes just scouting the area when an Orc (that I never met before) comes up behind me and introduces himself. It was a captain. Not knowing his weaknesses, and seeing that he was alone, we began to duel. I was able to get him down to low health when suddenly he breaks off into fear.. I noticed that a Caragor immediately running past me and headed straight for him. I quickly reacted by taking out my bow and pinning his leg to the ground. The Caragor finished him off! As it turned out -- without any intel, this Orc was fearful of Caragors and was NOT immune to the bow. Incredibly dynamic gameplay there.. and something that AC should have been in the beginning.

-M

Auctopus

Oh, a heads up for people. There is a bug on 'Recruitment' missions where your guy will just wonder around the countryside and there's no enemies left on the map.

Just run away from him until it says you're about to abandon and keep running, the mission will 'fail' but it'll be classed as a success.

Gaz_RB

Just finished it. Sad about the story missions all being basically tutorial missions, as I feel there was a lot they could have done with those story missions. The rest of the game was great though. Still have no idea what happened with the ending.

Astrates

Has anyone else noticed that when you perform an execution on a enemy who is stunned on the ground they often change size so the animation works? A few smaller orcs suddenly gain a foot in height.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Just ran in to my first game breaking bug. But it's quite a funny one so I'll forgive them.
After I decapitated my friends murderer, he kept talking and repeating the same line over and over. Had to Alt-F4 out of it to end it.

0A48F48B0D481D0B78065C6CF6F83FD06FCA50F4

D4124CCED8E20C12B8BCAA9183550276CFF8188F
Well, he froze your game, so I guess he made good on that promise.

Top Bottom