• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor |OT| One Title to rule them all

Mentok

Banned
Pardon my ignorance here. I'm 12/20 missions in. My question is, can I ever clear out all the war chiefs or will they infinitely replace one another? I killed the ones required to progress the story, but before moving the story along I wanted to clear out the rest and I can't.

It is my understanding that the game constantly replenishes, but I am curious about this myself (maybe post-game).

Ryökäle

Neo Member
How did u get all ur captains in the same place?

First gave death threats to all of the captains and then branded them and one warchief. Then I just made captains become bodyguards to two of the warchiefs and finally started a riot between the two warchiefs.

newsguy

If you don't advance at the towers (or die), you can in fact wipe the top row of war chiefs... it's an achievement on Steam. Sometimes you need to take down a few successors but there won't be new uruks coming down the pipe if you stay alive and don't accelerate time.

OK thanks

hbkdx12

Ryökäle;133013732 said:
First gave death threats to all of the captains and then branded them and one warchief. Then I just made captains become bodyguards to two of the warchiefs and finally started a riot between the two warchiefs.
Ah gotcha. Makes sense

Ryökäle;133013732 said:

large.png

Oh man, I thought that mud pit
was going to be the only area in the whole game with how much stuff was scattered about, which wouldn't have even bothered me, please tell me there's a snowy area
lol

Zocano

I'm bummed out that I never had an orc come back. Every time I killed an orc he just stayed dead and I never ran into one that "survived".

hbkdx12

Lol so you play like me then....do a LOT more side stuff over the actual story.
The excellent nemesis system makes it all too easy

Speaking of which, would ppl consider the nemesis system more or less the first feature that really starts to show what next gen is capable of besides just shinier graphics?

is the ending really that bad guys ? is there a way to describe it in some way,without spoiling it ?

taken-kidnapping-scene.jpg

"I don't know who you are. I don't know what you want. If you are looking for ransom I can tell you I dont have money, but what I do have are a very particular set of skills. Skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for peope like you. If you let my daughter go now that'll be the end of it. I will not look for you, I will not pursue you, but if you don't, I will look for you, I will find you and I will kill you."

screenshot_521.png

Press <A> to kill kidnapper and contemplate your victory.

FADE TO BLACK

Lol so you play like me then....do a LOT more side stuff over the actual story.

Let the goodness flow into your veins. There's no help necessary

Just wait till u start getting the really good abilities that are locked behind story missions :)

yeah but how many sides did you do

I plan on trying to focus on the Story to get more abilities but man i just get distracted with the power struggles/vendettas!

Mentok

Banned
I plan on trying to focus on the Story to get more abilities but man i just get distracted with the power struggles/vendettas!

I have yet to see a vendetta....hoping that'll change so I can avenge someone. Then again, I don't think any of my friends bought the game so maybe that's factoring in.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

"I don't know who you are. I don't know what you want. If you are looking for ransom I can tell you I dont have money, but what I do have are a very particular set of skills. Skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for peope like you. If you let my daughter go now that'll be the end of it. I will not look for you, I will not pursue you, but if you don't, I will look for you, I will find you and I will kill you."

screenshot_521.png

FADE TO BLACK

You know a Taken game with the Nemisis system would be godly. As would a Batman one or one where you're a cop in the roaring 20's trying to take down the mob. It would make a lot of games better, it really needs to be a standard thing at some point.

hbkdx12

You know a Taken game with the Nemisis system would be godly. As would a Batman one or one where you're a cop in the roaring 20's trying to take down the mob. It would make a lot of games better, it really needs to be a standard thing at some point.
I stand behind the idea that its probably the first next gen feature that feels next gen and has the potential to impact future games rather than just having shinier graphics

lol! cheers mate,that bad huh ?

OneUh8

I have played 19hrs and 53 minutes and have only done 5 missions. Halp

I am not sure my playtime but it is certainly in the 10-15 hour range. I still need to kill the war chiefs. I have been having fun just doing the side stuff and fighting captains. I need to start hitting the story missions though.

DukeBobby

screenshot_521.png

FADE TO BLACK

Yep, this sums it up nicely.

Tony91

I don't know if this is the right thread to talk about this, but something has been bothering me these past few months, and it's about the minimum requirements most of the new games are showing off.

I'm playing Shadow of Mordor on lowest settings, 1440x900 and I'm playing it on my 7 Years Old Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 and an AMD 7770HD with a steady 50+ FPS Frame Rate.

Is it normal that these days developers tend to over exaggerate with minimum requirements? I was scared about The Evil Within requirements, but looking at recent trends on the gaming industry I have this feeling that even with a PC that DOESN'T meet the minimum requirements, I'm going to have a beatiful experience (with lowest settings, of course)!

iNvid02

I dont think the next few open world games will suddenly feel lacking without something like a nemsis system, but man i hope other devs are taking notes, its really impressive.

I have yet to see a vendetta....hoping that'll change so I can avenge someone. Then again, I don't think any of my friends bought the game so maybe that's factoring in.

It is weird a lot of my friends are playing this game also fellow gaffers who i have added on PSN are playing the game but the only Vendettas i receive are from my brother. He told me he died a lot when fighting his first warchief so i guess that is causing vendettas to pop up in my game.

hbkdx12

Gotta love the decapitations

One thing i wish they implemented is that when u kill a captain or war chief and it cuts to the army screen, it should replicate how they died rather than just having them fall over. So if their head gets cut off it should just split and fly off from their body. If you kill them with an arrow to the head then an arrow should impale them

Also it would be really cool if there was a screen for talion where you could see his strengths and weaknesses depending on some kind of algorithm that determines how you die and how many times and lists that as an artificial weakness and your strengths would be reflective of an algorithm that looks at your runes and the ways you tend to kill most orcs

Would be a another great step for the nemesis system

I am only about 5 hours in, but so far this game makes me feel like I'm missing something. The Nemesis system feels like a glorified list of dudes to kill, and I feel like the game is giving me no direction or purpose on what to do next. I'm a little bummed...

BigDug13

I dont think the next few open world games will suddenly feel lacking without something like a nemsis system, but man i hope other devs are taking notes, its really impressive.

Certain open world games have already felt lacking, like the ones made by Ubisoft. Nemesis is at least a bit of a breath of fresh air to open world action. And it will only highlight more how lacking the AC games are when the 2 of them release this year.

hbkdx12

I am only about 5 hours in, but so far this game makes me feel like I'm missing something. The Nemesis system feels like a glorified list of dudes to kill, and I feel like the game is giving me no direction or purpose on what to do next. I'm a little bummed...
Thats kind of the beauty of it. Its great when ur off doing a side mission and a captain or two randomly show up with their entourage to fuck up your day

BigDug13

Just find the yellow icons on the map. The game is a bit aimless if you're just wandering around trying to fight captains with very little in the way of abilities unlocked. The story missions basically teach you about what to do in the game while also unlocking certain abilities and game functions that are locked until you progress the story. Until you do some story, you don't even get to do the captain conflict missions, war chief bodyguards, etc.

12 missions/ 10 hours in and loving it.
This might make me delay purchasing AC though.. This is better than any of the AC games IMO.. Truly wonderful.

spidye

I have a question

are decapitations random? is there a button for decapitations? or do I have to unlock it in order to kill the captains?

Vodh

I'm some 4-5 hours in, only got to sink my teeth into the game today and holy shit! It's easily the most fun I've had on my PS4, and that's counting playing Destiny with a good group and experiencing TLOU multiplayer for the first time, both of which I really liked.

The nemesis system is great, hunting down the assholes that killed me or picking the next target out of the list and just hunting him down even without any sort of a grudge formed yet feels amazing.

Right now I'm after Bolg Raid Leader, I ran into him in a stronghold while hunting down some random grunt who got promoted to a captain when he killed me right at the start of the game - and this Bolg guy is a fucking shitbag. He's a monster slayer who hates Caragors (which is part of the reason why he got me, as hunting down the other guy I let some Caragors loose on the stronghold), also a combat master invulnerable to Stealth. But that's just why he's hard, not why he's an asshole.

He's an asshole because when he beat me, he basically said killing me isn't worth dulling his blade and just walked away like I'm nothing. Gonna teach him some manners now that I've got the full intel on him.

Another asshole which I'm sure I'll see again is Gorbag the Wrestler - that guy killed me twice, once through my underestimation of his abilities, and once by just showing up as I was messing around with some uruks. Crashing his feast and making him run away like a scared little girl before I hunted him down and killed him (but no decaptiation) was a highlight of the game for me so far.

I can't believe how smooth and satisfying everything is. And I love the talent tree, tons and tons of really cool abilities that make me anticipate a level-up more than I would have imagined.

I've decided to give Shadow of Mordor a try unless reviews said it was terrible right around this year's E3, but I've never expected it to be this good. What an amazing gem of a game and a pleasant surprise.

Yo, this game is fun as fuck and addictive. And IMO the best part is there is TONS of room for improvement and expansion. My only notable complaint as of right now, or at least the only real thing that kind of bugs me is the camera. It's too close to Talion. It does make the moves seem higher impact when you're closer but it's also just weird.

Just find the yellow icons on the map. The game is a bit aimless if you're just wandering around trying to fight captains with very little in the way of abilities unlocked. The story missions basically teach you about what to do in the game while also unlocking certain abilities and game functions that are locked until you progress the story. Until you do some story, you don't even get to do the captain conflict missions, war chief bodyguards, etc.

I'm at the point now where I have to kill Warchiefs in order to progress. But I seemingly can't get to any of them without it throwing endless waves of enemies at me. It's incredibly frustrating. That's why I feel like I'm missing something. I'm using all the powers and moves but I just get overwhelmed so easily. Can you stop them from calling reinforcements? I try to stealth kill everyone around them before engaging but more guys just keep coming. It doesn't seem to reward careful play at all.

Corpsepyre

Banned
Question; is there a way to complete all the captains without new ones taking their place? In other words, can I 100 percent best the nemesis system?

hbkdx12

So, it's a never ending thing for now. I decapitates two, but new ones took their place. I thought their places were done for good.
The system does infinitely generate new captains but only if you die or advance the time. There was a point where i had killed all but three captains including the war chiefs and no new captains got introduced or promoted until i advanced the time

DukeBobby

The system does infinitely generate new captains but only if you die or advance the time. There was a point where i had killed all but three captains including the war chiefs and no new captains got introduced or promoted until i advanced the time

I think completing main missions and side missions can also add captains. There was a long period where I didn't die or advance time, and new captains were definitely added.

One of the Sword challenges had me kill Ghul nests and one spawned at the end.

I think I actually remember that now. It was in a cave, and the matron is like white-ish? I did it a while ago I think... I have never seen one just out in the wild I dont think

BigDug13

I'm at the point now where I have to kill Warchiefs in order to progress. But I seemingly can't get to any of them without it throwing endless waves of enemies at me. It's incredibly frustrating. That's why I feel like I'm missing something. I'm using all the powers and moves but I just get overwhelmed so easily. Can you stop them from calling reinforcements? I try to stealth kill everyone around them before engaging but more guys just keep coming. It doesn't seem to reward careful play at all.

If you slot your bow with a rune that gives a percentage of focus back per stealth kill, you can mow down a captain's entourage of bodyguards. If it's a war chief, make sure any captain that is a bodyguard is hunted down first. Minion reinforcements are inevitable because most of those missions are in fortresses. You could try to kill the guy who's going to sound the alarm, but that's a losing battle as new guys try to sound the alarm always. Just gotta try to kill that chief while countering minion attacks. Most chiefs can be jumped over so you can attack from behind while they're stunned from the jump.

It's definitely challenging. Maybe do some more conflict missions to unlock more abilities? You definitely want combat finisher and the leaping stun ability at least.

Top Bottom