• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor |OT| One Title to rule them all

DieH@rd

Banned
[NaK];131781131 said:
PS4 screens bwlow:
iuseaKtvXVDRm.jpg

izEtsvSjYbrIK.jpg

ibg6791L3cPFM3.jpg

irTfCySqB114q.jpg

That looks great! How's the framerate?

impact

Banned
[NaK];131781131 said:
Havent gotten vary far in the main story, because I'm busy slaying orcs and having a blast.

The combat is fantastic. You feel so friggin badass, chopping of heads and breaking necks from left to right.
It's like a mix of Batman: Arkham series and Assassin's Creed on steorids. Great and varied animations and finishers.
Every time I land a combo and finish off someone with an execution move, I giggle like a little girl from the brutality on screen.

Tha graphics are a bit of a let down though, with some really low/muddy textures and blurry view distances. But the lightning effects and the creature design are great.

PS4 screens bwlow:
iuseaKtvXVDRm.jpg

izEtsvSjYbrIK.jpg

ibg6791L3cPFM3.jpg

irTfCySqB114q.jpg

Yikes

Now that I know PC is the only version for me I just need to decide if I want to go with greenmangaming or wait for one of GAFs awesome B/S/T thread sellers to put it up for a better price.

GavinUK86

Yikes

Now that I know PC is the only version for me I just need to decide if I want to go with greenmangaming or wait for one of GAFs awesome B/S/T thread sellers to put it up for a better price.

Yikes? What's wrong with those shots?

This is a better one anyway:
fcsgdwjm7qmjx2k92r7x.jpg

Daft_Cat

A good game is a good game. I'm not a LOTR guy at all but I want this game. I love Monolith, and a good action RPG is something I'm craving at the moment

The Godfather is an objectively good movie, but I know at least 10 people off the top of my head that just don't really care for it (ok, maybe more like 3-5). My point? Not everything is for everyone.. and that's not always an objective reflection on somethings quality.

You love Monolith, and you want a good action RPG. SoM is reviewing well, so you've obviously got a reason to want to play this. Had you posted all of that and asked whether or not the game was worth buying, I'd have said "yah, for sure," without hesitation.

The person I was responding to didn't. He stated that he doesn't like Lord of the Rings, and was looking for a reason to care. The fact that he was even asking suggests that he had some definite doubts, right? I assume his curiosity is more of a response to the good word of mouth... but clearly he's seen footage and probably even some reviews. If he's not on board, I doubt the game is for him.

To put a cap on all this: I'm really just using myself as an example here. I often get caught up in hype and buy games that I kind of know I'm not particularly interested in. It's usually a case where the universe is aesthetically or narratively not my thing... and despite good gameplay, I often feel like I shouldn't have bothered.

I sensed something similar with that poster, which is why I chose to not recommend the game to him. The fact that I've gone this far to defend myself is kind of absurd.

[NaK];131781131 said:
Havent gotten vary far in the main story, because I'm busy slaying orcs and having a blast.

The combat is fantastic. You feel so friggin badass, chopping of heads and breaking necks from left to right.
It's like a mix of Batman: Arkham series and Assassin's Creed on steorids. Great and varied animations and finishers.
Every time I land a combo and finish off someone with an execution move, I giggle like a little girl from the brutality on screen.

Tha graphics are a bit of a let down though, with some really low/muddy textures and blurry view distances. But the lightning effects and the creature design are great.

PS4 screens bwlow:
iuseaKtvXVDRm.jpg

izEtsvSjYbrIK.jpg

ibg6791L3cPFM3.jpg

irTfCySqB114q.jpg

Fingers crossed on the PC ultra textures!

[NaK]

To those who are enjoying the game, how's the difficulty? Is combat a cakewalk like Assassin's Creed? Would it be worth upping the difficulty at the start to get the full experience of the nemesis system?

Thanks!

I've started to really get a hang on the combat now, about 4 hours in. And it's still really solid. Trying to get as many combos as possible without fucking up, to stack up for a finishing blow is rewarding.
I've probably slain a thousand orcs so far and the sheer amount of fighting animations is amazing. It looks and feels like you're in the middle of one of the Aragorn fight scenes from The Lord of The Rings. Im sure they studied those a lot when they picked out some of the stabs and dismemberment animations. (Including Aragorns grunts and shouts).

It's pretty easy to simply smash square in the beginning, but more and more enemy classes are presented throught the game as you progress, making the fights much harder. Soon, you have to start dodging arrows and spears, and trying to backstab shielded enemies and so on. Sometimes there's a captain or chief that joins the battle, and they are imune to some of your moves... which hurts. I've died quite a lot actually. And of course, when they kill you, they level up and become eaven harder to defeat, and learn some of your moves to counter in the future.

Most objectives seem to leave you with quite a bit of choise on how to finish them.
I've tried both stealth, sword bashing my way through hundreds of orcs and releasing beasts by destroying their cages with arrows from afar.. Kinda like in Far Cry 3.
Fun as hell. (And you can tame the beasts and ride them into battle).

Also, the music is great! It sounds as if you're playing through the movie trilogy.

DrBo42

[NaK];131799674 said:
I've started to really get a hang on the combat now, about 4 hours in. And it's still really solid. Trying to get as many combos as possible without fucking up, to stack up for a finishing blow is rewarding.
I've probably slain a thousand orcs so far and the sheer amount of fighting animations is amazing. It looks and feels like you're in the middle of one of the Aragorn fight scenes from The Lord of The Rings. Im sure they studied those a lot when they picked out some of the stabs and dismemberment animations. (Including Aragorns grunts and shouts).

It's pretty easy to simply smash square in the beginning, but more and more enemy classes are presented throught the game as you progress, making the fights much harder. Soon, you have to start dodging arrows and spears, and trying to backstab shielded enemies and so on. Sometimes there's a captain or chief that joins the battle, and they are imune to some of your moves... which hurts. I've died quite a lot actually. And of course, when they kill you, they level up and become eaven harder to defeat, and learn some of your moves to counter in the future.

Most objectives seem to leave you with quite a bit of choise on how to finish them.
I've tried both stealth, sword bashing my way through hundreds of orcs and releasing beasts by destroying their cages with arrows from afar.. Kinda like in Far Cry 3.

Also, the music is great! It sounds as if you're playing through the movie trilogy.

Thanks NaK. Any thoughts on the story so far?

Raptor

[NaK];131799674 said:

This hyped me up more than any review god damn!

Raptor

Anisotropic filtering. It's like the distance on the ground before the textures start blurring. It looks like the sharp textures go on for quite a bit in this game, which is good.

This would be an example of having no AF:

Oh nice, thanks, yes that is great news!

Frankiebass

Neo Member
[NaK];131799674 said:

Thanks for your thoughts, still looking forward to it.

3DShovel

Yikes

I must be really old (I'm not) or something because the fact that we even have graphics anywhere near as impressive as this is god damn mind blowing

Raptor

I have always wanted something like this, the first time I saw a glimpse of what it could be was in TTT when that orc wanted fresh meat and the Uruk cut his head off, some rebels in that little group was fascinating, second time was in The Hobbit when that orc went to Azog with bad news and got killed only for the next one to replace him, that was neat.

Now we have an entire game of that and I can't be more happy!

Long live the orcs and uruks baby!!

antitrop

Are you involved with the game or just a fan?

Sales are important to fans, too. To ensure industry health, prevent developer layoffs, ensure potential sequels, possible post-launch support, etc.

In this case, it's nice to see a developer whose name hasn't been so hot in a while back at the top.

Top Bottom