• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor |OT| One Title to rule them all

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Not for me... at least not exclusively. If I don't connect with the experience emotionally or aesthetically, gameplay only takes the experience so far. It can be the difference between a game I simply "enjoyed while it lasted" and an experience that really sinks its claws into me on multiple levels. For me, only the latter is fully worth the price tag.

My opinion is that the poster should hold off. At least wait for a price cut. Clearly the bias ITT is not to make a recommendation that isn't just blindly hyping the shit out of this to anyone and everyone like a used car salesman, so whatever.

I understand what you mean. I feel the same way about Gears of War and Bayonetta. Gears has some of the best third person shooting in the genre; visceral and satisfying, but I just cannot stand the art style and the characters. The moment they show up on the screen and open their mouths, it takes me out of the fun. As for Bayo, same deal, some of the best action gameplay in the genre, but I'm simply not a fan of the art style and character.

I tried to overlook those things and just enjoy the gameplay, but I feel a game is the culmination of all of those elements. For me, gameplay, graphics, controls, audio, and narrative(when applicable), work together in harmony to create a truly engaging experience for the player. When too many of those elements clash with me, it's distracting.

When I think if games that do it right, I think of The Last of Us, Silent Hill 2&3, Uncharted, Resident Evil 2&4, Beyond Good & Evil, Shadow of the Colossus, etc, etc. The entire experience wouldn't have been as powerful or entertaining for me if the various elements didn't gel as well as they did.

I'm not saying it's not possible to enjoy this game if you didn't like the movies, but since the game is heavily inspired by those movies, it seems like more of a chance for disappointment in that regard. $60 is a lot to spend on a game that you aren't wholly interested in.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Very happy seeing this:

zMXVHhU.png

Quick someone take a picture of the people who said this was going to bomb.

Corpekata

Banned
Well PC Gamer are saying it's on Ultra. There's literally no graphical differences between the video they posted and the PS4 shots I see here, aside from 1080p vs 1440p. PS4 version must be at Ultra settings.

Yeah, something tells me this statement will hold up when Digital Foundry does their comparison.

Sales are important to fans, too. To ensure industry health, prevent developer layoffs, ensure potential sequels, possible post-launch support, etc.

In this case, it's nice to see a developer whose name hasn't been so hot in a while back at the top.
Pretty much.

Well PC Gamer are saying it's on Ultra. There's literally no graphical differences between the video they posted and the PS4 shots I see here, aside from 1080p vs 1440p. PS4 version must be at Ultra settings.
It could be. I thought that I had read (heard?) that the Ultra Textures wouldn't be in place until launch day though. In any case, we know PC and PS4 will be fine, Xbone is where we really need answers.
Yeah, something tells me this statement will hold up when Digital Foundry does their comparison.
Maybe it has something to do with textures + tons of AA?

MattyG

Banned
Wait, we need 3GB cards for high textures? Really? Seems a bit much. Isnt the PS4 using the equivalent of high?

My 2 GB card is only 8 months old and it's already almost time for an upgrade.

Levyne

Banned
That settings screen image says that you can select Ultra textures but it just won't have an effect if the texture pack isn't installed.

We know PC Gamer set their game to ultra.

We don't know if they had the texture pack installed.

UnrealEck

Wait, we need 3GB cards for high textures? Really? Seems a bit much. Isnt the PS4 using the equivalent of high?

I'm betting on a mixture of medium and high textures.
We'll know how the versions compare in a few days. I can't wait because I'm so curious about what's going on with this game.

Grief.exe

My 2 GB card is only 8 months old and it's already almost time for an upgrade.

Just wait and see. People like to put VRAM on a pedestal when it isn't always necessarily the case.

I've been running these current gen games just below max with a 1 GB card for example.

Kssio_Aug

Is there any kind of character upgrade in this game?
I mean, I know the enemies level up everytime they kill you, but can you level up or collect better gear and stuff?

I mean, I know the enemies level up everytime they kill you, but can you level up or collect better gear and stuff?

Equipment stays the same. You upgrade them with runes and such to enhance their power. There's also a skill tree that you'll level-up and upgrade, with two paths: Ranger and Wraith.

Maybe there's unlockable costumes or something too, or maybe that's solely DLC. I'm unsure.

Corpekata

Banned

Yeah, in the form of runes. Someone mentioned earlier upgrading so like when you vault over someone, it'll stun them, or arrows pinning enemies to the ground or wall, that sort of stuff.

Kssio_Aug

Equipment stays the same. You upgrade them with runes and such to enhance their power. There's also a skill tree that you'll level-up and upgrade, with two paths: Ranger and Wraith.

Maybe there's unlockable costumes or something too, or maybe that's solely DLC. I'm unsure.

Yeah, in the form of runes. Someone mentioned earlier upgrading so like when you vault over someone, it'll stun them, or arrows pinning enemies to the ground or wall, that sort of stuff.

Ok thats nice then!!
I'm highly interested on this game! Just waiting Digital Foundry to decide my version! =P

RoKKeR

Sorry if I've totally missed something here but have we heard about the framerate/resolution on the XO? Are we looking at another Tomb Raider situation?

DOWN

Banned
Ultra doesn't do anything to textures until they release the HD textures. It says so on the options screen. I don't think their video will look much different until the new texture pack is released (unless they have it and it's invisible and we need a DF comparison).

uh, alright, not sure what that has to do with the open world though
It's open in the same way as Arkham. Not massive, but fairly dense and size is besides the point. Reviews say that nemesis makes this game a must and raises the bar for game design.

uh, alright, not sure what that has to do with the open world though

Well I mean that isn't a mission (as far as I know, there might be one but I know you can do it in the open world). My point, which i might have conveyed poorly was that there is lots of random things to just do in the open world that has nothing to do with progressing your current mission.

Daft_Cat

I don't know why I never thought to ask this before, but are Mount Doom and Barad-Dur reachable locations on the map? I'm guessing they're in the game... but I suppose its possible that they only appear in missions independent from the open world.

It would be cool if they were explorable, though. If not hopefully it's possible to catch a glimpse of them in the distance.

fedexpeon

Banned
Hmm, I have a 50.00 giftcard from Dell, and buying the game would reward me with another 25.00 giftcard...So basically a free game.

I think I will do that, screw free preorder bonuses.

Wow, I barely had this game on my radar (I actually didnt' have this game on my radar) and now with the reviews hitting today and me actually reading about what it is, I'm insanely hyped for it. I've been chomping at the bit for Smash Bros to come out and it's almost here and now all I wanna do is play this damn game. Man.

Daft_Cat

PSN currently says the game releases on Sunday (September 28th). Link

I thought the game was coming out on the 30th. Am I missing something? Is this just referring to a preload?

Daft_Cat

n3tNPZs.png

Which one is it?

Look guys... It's been a long week =P

Edit: I thought you poking fun at me missing the note about the preload, but now I'm not so sure. If you're seriously asking... I think it just means the game will be available to download on Sunday, but it'll be locked until Tuesday.

Look guys... It's been a long week =P

Haha, one hell of a coincidence. So Sunday's confirmed to be the preload?

Edit: I thought you poking fun at me missing the note about the preload, but now I'm not so sure. If you're seriously asking... I think it just means the game will be available to download on Sunday, but it'll be locked until Tuesday.

Of course not. I was just equally confused at nearly the same time.

Top Bottom