• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor |OT| One Title to rule them all

AsfaeksBR

Just went to pre-order it and found out that the brazilian version comes with the Blu-Ray of LotR: Return of the King

vRu5ZVG.jpg

It's not so much the commanders being tough (well, they are tough), but rather the amount of chaos accompanying them.

Also, each commander has their own set of strengths/weaknesses that determine a different strategy for each.

Neat stuff, definitely not as easy as the Batman series.

Well fuck

Hope the commanders are tough as nails then, if the combat is as easy as Batman's I'll be killing them before building a rivalry :p

Patroclos

Banned
I hate, fucking absolutely hate (strong word) ass creed games, soley on their childlike combat experience. Takes zero input/skill from the player to win any ass creed combat. The more I watch footage from this game, the more it resembles ass creed one man army-god-kiling-everything-with-qte-one-hit-combos.

Old ninja gaiden player here (since NES up to ninja gaiden 2 on ps3), but batman asylum trilogy was also very good. So if the combat and (more importantly) combat is like batman i'm cool.

Will be using 360 controller on PC, assuming the game gives a fair challenge, if it's gonna be ass creed difficulty (fable mode) then pre-order canned.

People who own/play this game, are my fears warranted? The game really is too easy?

I am on the fence for the exact same reasons. Supposedly the enemies grow in power but I don't want a super easy experience and I too hate the Ass Creed feel, floaty inaccurate crap.

People are saying this resembles arkham more. I would like to preorder ps4 for the bonuses but it looks like I am going to hold off for more info.

Atone13

So, I've been holding off my purchase of my new system, and up until now it's hasn't been much of an issue.. For some reason though, and I can't figure out why, this is the first game I'm legitimately bummed I won't get to play at release. I've been content in the fact knowing that all the games I want to play, will be waiting for me in a nice little backlog of games to play when I do nab my system. This one though... Maybe it's the nemesis system, or just how cool tearing shit up in Mordor looks, but I have a real itch for this game.

antitrop

So, I've been holding off my purchase of my new system, and up until now it's hasn't been much of an issue.. For some reason though, and I can't figure out why, this is the first game I'm legitimately bummed I won't get to play at release. I've been content in the fact knowing that all the games I want to play, will be waiting for me in a nice little backlog of games to play when I do nab my system. This one though... Maybe it's the nemesis system, or just how cool tearing shit up in Mordor looks, but I have a real itch for this game.

It's the Nemesis system.

That shit is more next-gen than any fancy graphical effect, to me.

whoaduh

It's the Nemesis system.

It seems to be quite the revolution. I hope more games try to copy it or to iterate on it. Would a game character always need the ability to ressurect to pull this system off?

Patroclos

Banned
This was a great watch.

One of my main concerns is the combat depth and difficulty. Also the video confirms NO options for higher difficulty levels :( Thats a shame.

The combat line is what scares me. "A step above AC games, a step and a half below Arkham games" is how it was described. Still on the fence but I want to jump so badly. I told myself it was this or tEW. Torn. I already feel it deep in my heart, its gonna probably end up being whynotboth.gif.

hydruxo

Yeah okay... why is it... every streamer i'm watching they are like a one man army bullshit?

At first people told me "oh it's just devs playing on godmode, easy etc" but now it's on a regular stream as well.

I hate, fucking absolutely hate (strong word) ass creed games, soley on their childlike combat experience. Takes zero input/skill from the player to win any ass creed combat. The more I watch footage from this game, the more it resembles ass creed one man army-god-kiling-everything-with-qte-one-hit-combos.

Old ninja gaiden player here (since NES up to ninja gaiden 2 on ps3), but batman asylum trilogy was also very good. So if the combat and (more importantly) combat is like batman i'm cool.

Will be using 360 controller on PC, assuming the game gives a fair challenge, if it's gonna be ass creed difficulty (fable mode) then pre-order canned.

People who own/play this game, are my fears warranted? The game really is too easy?

Eh...I haven't played it but based off of streams, it takes a good while to kill enemies if you're in a mob (unlike AC games where you counter and instantly impale guards over and over). Granted, you can counter and get near insta kills in SoM too, but from what I've seen it's a rarity. One streamer went into a side mission where he was in an arena and it said to kill 50/50 orcs. They didn't throw like 5 at him at a time, but instead threw the entire mob at him at once. It took him a good while to even get above 10 kills, and he was getting downed several times. It's clear to me the game is meant to be challenging because if it wasn't, the Nemesis system would be wasted if the risk of dying was so low.

Typomancer

Neo Member
This is the first game I want to buy for both the PC and PS4. The second will probably be MGSV.

I want to get it for the PC because the possibility to get it for extremely cheap before release is very real.

I want to get it for the PS4 because trophies and because it’s a lot easier for me to play it on my TV, cordless, and all of that. I mean, I played all the Arkham games on my PC while it was hooked up to my TV, with a 15' micro USB cable for my DS4, and another 15' audio cable for either my speakers or headphones since audio through HDMI from my PC has always been spotty… I dunno, it is just a pain.

Patroclos

Banned
Frame rate is looking pretty stable on X1 based on a hitbox stream.

Decisions decisions....

What scares me is they are soooo quiet about the Xbox version. I really would like something to give mine a little exercise but am too leery on this one because of the above. Looks like SSO will have to be the game to finally give my X1 a workout, that fat bastard has gotten out of shape since Titanfall.

Patroclos

Banned
They tend to break street dates where I'm from. Let me just finish up my impression of Sherlock Holmes: C&P and I'll jump into this game.

I'm waiting with bells on. Please tell us about combat, difficulty and how similar it is to AC as far as feel and control in stealth, regular movement, combat and parkour. Is it floaty or solid with weight? Are they smooth or jittery animations? Is the camera good?

God I am a demanding bastard. Thanks so much man!

Edit; Sorry for the double post, I'm used to the Destiny OT.

The combat line is what scares me. "A step above AC games, a step and a half below Arkham games" is how it was described. Still on the fence but I want to jump so badly. I told myself it was this or tEW. Torn. I already feel it deep in my heart, its gonna probably end up being whynotboth.gif.

I think that dude is on crack. Just watching the videos, it seems like the game is tons better than Batman combat. And the "weight" feels the same as Batman to me.

I don't know about difficulty though. It very well could be easy in the beginning, but this is something I can see them changing very easily by making the enemies tougher. It already looks like it takes a lot to bring 1 orc captain down.

It's the Nemesis system.

This.

Nemesis system is truly a next-gen feature and leagues above the golden standard of 1080p@60FPS. Now, I don't look forward to playing any other game because I know it won't have it. W3 and DA:I are now going to be boring to combat in.. ah well..

LifEndz

They tend to break street dates where I'm from. Let me just finish up my impression of Sherlock Holmes: C&P and I'll jump into this game.

Why so cryptic? Where are you from? Let us know where you got it so maybe others can go grab it early.

Top Bottom