• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor |OT| One Title to rule them all

ocean

Banned
I'm so torn between this and Dragon Age. Only have money for one; want both. Each time I see new footage from one I say "OK, this is the one to get, no contest". Until I see footage from the other and change my mind.

Halp :(

BouncyFrag

Just saw a TV advert for this watching the Bears/Packers game. I had to explain to my Dad why I was suddenly nodding my head and grinning uncontrollably.

I'm so torn between this and Dragon Age. Only have money for one; want both. Each time I see new footage from one I say "OK, this is the one to get, no contest". Until I see footage from the other and change my mind.

Get this one now, then sell it to get money to buy Inquisition.

Slixshot

Banned
Just saw a TV advert for this watching the Bears/Packers game. I had to explain to my Dad why I was suddenly nodding my head and grinning uncontrollably.

giphy.gif

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
No way to force it to preload the rest of the game, eh? Would rather finish it now than when the game comes out since my roommate will likely be using the internet as well.

You are kinda loosely incorrectly associating W3 and Da:I with SoM. SoM is first and foremost an action game. W3 and DA:I aren't. That's like me saying Shadow of Mordor isn't a good rpg because I cant affect the story or make dialogue choices. But, I get what you're trying to say. If I could have W3 with Batman/SoM style combat AND all the RPG goodness CDPR are known for, I'd be in my dream fantasy game. As it stands, it looks as though are taking a Batman-lite approach to combat. Which they have said multiple times, just like they said with W2; so I'm sure that should be taken with a grain of salt again.

Yeap. Basically I'm saying that. All the RPG goodness won't mean much to me without good combat -- which is what I'll be doing most of the time in the game. I saw the vids on the griffin fight and I must say it looks just as boring as the fights in W2. W1 had a terrible combat system. W2 expanded on it somewhat but the animations were redundant and limited. I'm hoping for more variety and better combat this time around, but going by the vids I've seen, it seems like more of the same from W2.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
No way to force it to preload the rest of the game, eh? Would rather finish it now than when the game comes out since my roommate will likely be using the internet as well.
It preloads in the background. Press Options -> Information on the game square and you'll see it count up.

Buzzbrad

If you can only afford one I would get Dragon Age. It will last longer.

VanWinkle

12 hours to do nothing but story missions. Devs say average playthrough is ~30 hours. ~40 to do everything? Obviously not sure on the length of some of the trophies.

Although I'm pretty sure you HAVE to do the nemesis missions too to even beat the game, and those will probably take AT LEAST a few hours.

Autofokus

You know,I even would get the game on my PS4 just so I have a second game next to Destiny for it, but the difference in paying 70€ on PS4 vs 25€ on PC is....well it's 45 fucking €.
That's a weird comparison. It's 50€ on PC and you obviously take advantage of some deal (I assume of Russian or Brazilian nature), which is fine. But you can buy from foreign stores on consoles too. For example, getting the US version will cost you ~44€ and if you're willing to spread your wings further (hint: India) you can get games even cheaper.

Just saying. PC will always be cheaper, but don't compare RRPs with some nice deals.

Not wanting to start shit, just keep people on the fence informed. There is a RUMOR about the X1 version being 720/30 fps. Take it with a grain of salt but beware.

Edit; Sorry forgot the link. https://twitter.com/manabyte/status/516273833880190976

Like PES 2015?

if this rumor is true..damn.

It should be kept in mine that Jeremy Conrad is pretty far into Sony fanboy territory, going as far as to spread misinformation about how Xbox One games perform.

Sorry, Didn't realize he had a poor history. It did seem pretty ridiculous.

No worries. I think it's worth at least considering with how little information we have about the X1 version and with how the developers have dodged questions about it.

It's probably not true, but then again...I'm personally going with 1080/30 or 900/60.

Kilau

He was talking about Ghosts. It ended up being that the XB1 version was 720p60 with no drops at all.

Suspicious he deleted that tweet at this moment right after making another hard to believe claim...

Ah, thanks for showing. I remember reading the PS4 version had stuttering or dropped frames.

And yes, it was "strange" it vanished after you linked to it.

Rymuth

I'm waiting with bells on. Please tell us about combat, difficulty and how similar it is to AC as far as feel and control in stealth, regular movement, combat and parkour. Is it floaty or solid with weight? Are they smooth or jittery animations? Is the camera good?

God I am a demanding bastard. Thanks so much man!

Edit; Sorry for the double post, I'm used to the Destiny OT.
Finished two missions so far, some early impression. Spoiler tag just in case people want to go in blind.
- Parkour's a lot quicker than AC. When you hold down the parkour button, the MC's first jump almost clears half the obstacle you're trying to climb.
- Combat's more Arkham Asylum than Assassin's Creed. You need to stun your enemies either by attacking them or countering them -- when they enter a dazed state, use the R2+Square button to perform a finisher (ala Batman) otherwise, they'll just keep coming and coming and you'll get overwhelmed.
- Stealth's good, pretty stable if you've played AC. I'm looking at the unlockable skills and there some cool abilities further down the line.

Sorry if my thoughts seem scattered. Game's pretty overwhelming. You're dropped right in the heart of Mordor with so many enemies and objectives everywhere after a short tutorial.

Buzzbrad

Finished two missions so far, some early impression. Spoiler tag just in case people want to go in blind.
- Parkour's a lot quicker than AC. When you hold down the parkour button, the MC's first jump almost clears half the obstacle you're trying to climb.
- Combat's more Arkham Asylum than Assassin's Creed. You need to stun your enemies either by attacking them or countering them -- when they enter a dazed state, use the R2+Square button to perform a finisher (ala Batman) otherwise, they'll just keep coming and coming and you'll get overwhelmed.
- Stealth's good, pretty stable if you've played AC. I'm looking at the unlockable skills and there some cool abilities further down the line.

Sorry if my thoughts seem scattered. Game's pretty overwhelming. You're dropped right in the heart of Mordor with so many enemies and objectives everywhere after a short tutorial.

Sounds great. Thanks!

The game as well as Forza Horizon 2 has been leaked out here in the Middle East 2 - 3 days ago unfortunately the copies they brought were few and sold out quick so i'll have to wait till tomorrow or release date till more copies arrive here. If I managed to find a copy tomorrow I'll be getting the Xbox One version and report here on the technical specifications however, if not then i'll be getting it on release date lol.

Patroclos

Banned

Thanks! That is reassuring.

AsfaeksBR

51cf524f89.png

He was talking about Ghosts. It ended up being that the XB1 version was 720p60 with no drops at all.

Suspicious he deleted that tweet at this moment right after making another hard to believe claim...

But wasn't the reason of the drops in the PS4 version because the framerate was going up? Like, from 60 to 65, and then back to 60? And wasn't it fixed with a patch later?

But wasn't the reason of the drops in the PS4 version because the framerate was going up? Like, from 60 to 65, and then back to 60? And wasn't it fixed with a patch later?

It was both. There was visual judder when it went above 60 and there was also framerate drops in setpieces and when things got hectic. They fixed the judder and made the drops less of a problem but afaik they're still there. At the same time after a few patches the Xbox One version ended up getting framerate drops as well.

Top Bottom