• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor |OT| One Title to rule them all

Randdalf

Agreed. I have a friend who strongly dislikes the name. Says it doesn't fit the Tolkien-verse. There is a character in the hobbit named Galion. Talion seems plausible to me.

Considering that LOTR is a vehicle for Tolkien's constructed languages, characters and places in Middle-Earth are not just given names arbitrarily because they sound cool. A Hobbit may be called Galion, but Hobbits have an entirely different culture and different language characteristics to Men. Part of the reason why Middle-Earth is such a cohesive world is because all the names have an etymological basis.

The man himself said as much http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Languages_constructed_by_J._R._R._Tolkien

Solidsoul

Banned
Considering that LOTR is a vehicle for Tolkien's constructed languages, characters and places in Middle-Earth are not just given names arbitrarily because they sound cool. A Hobbit may be called Galion, but Hobbits have an entirely different culture and different language characteristics to Men. Part of the reason why Middle-Earth is such a cohesive world is because all the names have an etymological basis.

The man himself said as much http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Languages_constructed_by_J._R._R._Tolkien

I definitely get what you are saying, but for the record I didn't say a hobbit was named Galion. I said a character in the Hobbit was. I think it was an elf from the barrel scene.

Loxley

I definitely get what you are saying, but for the record I didn't say a hobbit was named Galion. I said a character in the Hobbit was. I think it was an elf from the barrel scene.

Galion was a servant of Thranduil who fell asleep after taste-testing some wine - allowing Bilbo to spring the dwarves out of the elven dungeon.

*edit - beaten :)

World looks so bland, it's like flat bare land with walls that you climb to reach higher flat bare land.

I sort of agree?

Granted, I haven't watched a ton of footage but from what I've seen the geography looks strange. Its like a bunch of flat areas with very little vegetation punctuated by big plateau outcroppings just sort of jutting out of the ground. There don't seem to be many trees or forests or smooth changes in elevation.

Talion works for me. Because it sounds like talons. And you know who has talons? Those giant eagles. And you know who should have helped out the hobbits? Those damn eagles.

Tohsaka

So what's up with Amazon? No release day shipping for this game?

I have release date delivery of the PS4 version with Prime, says it'll be here on Tuesday.
ydbqqi.PNG

MS friend playing the game isn't too happy with the image. Says it's definitely nowhere close to 60fps that he can feel, feels it's much closer to 30. Image is somewhat blurry, "extremely so" at some points, on foliage especially. Distinct lack of AA too. I guess we'll find out Tuesday.

Think of the children! What have you done!?

In a likelyhood it'll run at 720/60. I'm fine with that and anticipate performance patches from Monolith. We'll see though.

How long ago was the game announced Gold? It seems it's been complete for a while with how often they've shown it.

Corpekata

Banned
Is this not releasing at midnight on Steam? Timer seems to indicate 10am PDT on Tuesday.

Lot of games say that until near the end. If it doesn't change tomorrow might be worth getting concerned over though. Hard to imagine that the Sherlock Holmes game will launch at midnight but not this.

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads
The visuals are actually really impressive. And if it really does run at 60fps [we can't get a definitive word from anybody who can tell 30fps from 60fps]? That's even more impressive.

ps4 runs at 60 fps with very minor dips when you dominate someone

VanWinkle

ps4 runs at 60 fps with very minor dips when you dominate someone

See, the thing is, we have heard no official confirmation on this (that I know of). I know the IGN quote you're referring to where he said it will dip when dominating someone, but he didn't say it's 60fps.

Zeliard

Watching this vid where the player is using some teleportation arrow ability to fly across the map at large distances right into an enemy's face. Looks like great fun, and super useful. I imagine it's a mid-to-late game ability, but definitely unlocking it the earliest that I can get to it.

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads
See, the thing is, we have heard no official confirmation on this (that I know of). I know the IGN quote you're referring to where he said it will dip when dominating someone, but he didn't say it's 60fps.

its going to be 60fps with dips lowest may be 45, or 50

Watching this vid where the player is using some teleportation arrow ability to fly across the map at large distances right into an enemy's face. Looks like great fun, and super useful. I imagine it's a mid-to-late game ability, but definitely unlocking it the earliest that I can get to it.

Yup. When they first were showcasing the open world and I saw that I couldn't believe not more people were excited for this game. It's so snappy and covers a HUGE distance and performance seems really really good.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I don't particularly like the character design of either the protagonist or the antagonist of The Evil Within, either, but that doesn't have anything to do with Mordor.

The good thing about these games is that you're mostly staring at the characters backs.

This actually touches on what I think looks cool about Talion's design, his back. The ragged flowing cape combined with the nice looking swords makes for a great look.

BTW any good shots of the Dark Ranger costume?

Solidsoul

Banned
Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor |OT| Crafted the nine, but the One is not mine.

Is recommending two different titles legal? Haha.

Raven77

World looks so bland, it's like flat bare land with walls that you climb to reach higher flat bare land.

Honestly this is one of the biggest things turning me off from the game.

I don't care how cool the nemesis system is, if your running around the same bland boring areas for fifteen hours it will get old.

I also don't trust reviewers these days to actually play a game to its fullest so I think that IF this game does have a bland boring game world, they wouldn't have putenough time in to get sick of itand realize that it is an issue.

Can anyone comment on the open world that had played it extensively? I thought a few people here got a hold of it really.

We need a quality subtitle for the launch. This parkour joke isn't doing it for me.

Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor |OT| A Monolithic Nemesis
(I may have suggested this one before. I can't really remember.)

or maybe

Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor |OT| Favoured Enemy: Uruks

Not

Banned
Honestly this is one of the biggest things turning me off from the game.

I don't care how cool the nemesis system is, if your running around the same bland boring areas for fifteen hours it will get old.

I also don't trust reviewers these days to actually play a game to its fullest so I think that IF this game does have a bland boring game world, they wouldn't have putenough time in to get sick of itand realize that it is an issue.

Can anyone comment on the open world that had played it extensively? I thought a few people here got a hold of it really.

What the heck do you want? Trees? It's Mordor, for cripe's sake

Dmax3901

I sort of agree?

Granted, I haven't watched a ton of footage but from what I've seen the geography looks strange. Its like a bunch of flat areas with very little vegetation punctuated by big plateau outcroppings just sort of jutting out of the ground. There don't seem to be many trees or forests or smooth changes in elevation.

You're aware this game is set in Mordor right?

VanWinkle

I sort of agree?

Vegetation?

u09qq6t6t1euih7kmgn3.jpg

But you aren't going to get big forests and stuff. That would not fit in the setting (Mordor) of this game.

Top Bottom