• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor |OT| One Title to rule them all

haterofpants

Neo Member
So i emailed Nuuvem to cancel my order and ordered from GMG. I noticed that they're still advertising the preorder bonuses. What are the chances that my copy will have them? They also haven't given me a key yet - how long does that usually take?

Damaniel

Banned
Runs fairly decently at 1440p on my 680 (left the settings at the suggested defaults, effectively High across the board except for textures at Medium). I'm averaging frame rates in the upper 40s to low 50s. Using a DS4 as my controller, and everything works fine.

Combat is unusually satisfying, though I never played the Arkham games, so if that combat style is out of fashion due to being overused it's not bothering me any. Kills (especially the stealth ones) are both widely varied and brutal. Mostly I've been running around racking up stealth kills wherever possible, but even the bow works well in a pinch.

Very high production quality all around and a nice intro as well. I think I'm going to enjoy this one a lot.

xBladeM6x

Game runs and looks great on my 970 at 1440p everything maxed except i haven't downloaded the ultra texture pack yet.
Very fun to just be slowly stalking around Mordor, especially with the Dark Ranger cloak.

How do you change skins? Can't find the option.

Main menu under "Play".

I'm always conflicted about whether to use a mouse and keyboard or a controller for games like this. I eventually had to switch to mouse for Sleeping Dogs because guns are easier to aim, and I've been doing the same with this game because of the bow.

You'd understand if you ever used a tripod before... Camera controls don't feel like controlling a camera if everything isn't inverted properly.

Ahh...

I'm an inverted Y person because my first introduction to controlling something in 3D space was flight sims. I could also see how people didn't use nay inversion at all, but the inversion of the left and right always baffled me. That must suck for you because the as Shadow of Mordor shows, not every game gives you the option to invert left and right.

Holy shit. I finally got through to the main menu after five minutes of watching it load. Then I had to wait FIFTEEN MINUTES for it to load me into the section after the tutorial. Finally in, and none of the controls work. Not the keyboard, not my controller, nothing.

Damn, I was going to buy this game on my Xbone... just might have to get the PC version and use my r9 290.

Anyone know if GMG is still doing that deal?

Decided to watch a couple of minutes and ended up hooked for almost half an hour. The combat looks satisfying and nervous and the visuals are really, really good...Superb music as well.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
That was an incredible opening, I can't wait to play more.

The opening will surely go overlooked. My 660 Ti is running it just fine except I noticed some screen tearing during the first playable sequence. Go figure.

It's quite interesting. It starts off generic, but it opens up. I'm my own mixed combos. The beheadings, power shots, wraith, etc

When did this unlock? Yesterday it had 1 day and 8 hours to go before I went to bed, then suddenly it loads... I could have been playing this all day instead of doing my Chinese homework!

JohnGrimm

Holy shit. I finally got through to the main menu after five minutes of watching it load. Then I had to wait FIFTEEN MINUTES for it to load me into the section after the tutorial. Finally in, and none of the controls work. Not the keyboard, not my controller, nothing.
Verify the cache. Problems like that are usually the result of something fucking up during the download.

Ahh...

I'm an inverted Y person because my first introduction to controlling something in 3D space was flight sims. I could also see how people didn't use nay inversion at all, but the inversion of the left and right always baffled me. That must suck for you because the as Shadow of Mordor shows, not every game gives you the option to invert left and right.

I personally can get used to X not being inverted (though I definitely prefer it being so having used a proper camera/tripod setup for years). It's no Y inversion that makes me truly sad though.

Holy shit.

The achievements for this game are so friggin' meta.

Help a Captain survive a Riot and then kill him and all his allies.

Brand all of a Warchiefs bodyguards and then challenge him.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
You'd understand if you ever used a tripod before... Camera controls don't feel like controlling a camera if everything isn't inverted properly.

This guy gets it.

Running SMOOTH as butter

eofplw0.jpg

My Rig:
GTX 770 2GB
i7 3770k @ 3.5
8 Gig ram

EDIT: All on HIGH settings at 1080P

So is it normal for the first area to be completely surrounded by enemies? Like, I can't hardly do anything because if I fight anyone they call in reinforcements and then there's a whole horde of them on me.

I personally can get used to X not being inverted (though I definitely prefer it being so having used a proper camera/tripod setup for years). It's no Y inversion that makes me truly sad though.

No Y inversion means a no buy for me. I just couldn't enjoy the game. Btw, you just scared the shit out of me because I thought you were saying that Shadow of Mordor didn't have Y inversion.

You can't invert the camera controls? What kind of bullshit is this.
I'm pretty sure you can invert the Y axis. You just can't invert the X.

zoukka

That is literary every videogame, you smash buttons so cool stuff happens on the screen... unless you are more into lame stuff happening or whatever.

No in some games I die if press the wrong buttons. There's a difference between something like DMC and Assassins Creed combat.

No Y inversion means a no buy for me. I just couldn't enjoy the game. Btw, you just scared the shit out of me because I thought you were saying that Shadow of Mordor didn't have Y inversion.

I'm pretty sure you can invert the Y axis. You just can't invert the X.

Wait a min can you invert Y in this game? If not I'm going to be insanely pissed as I preordered digitally on the ps4...

Etnos

Banned
No in some games I die if press the wrong buttons. There's a difference between something like DMC and Assassins Creed combat.

I've been playing for the last hour, combat seems challenging enough, there is a combo system, abilities to unlock, choice with ranger-melee or wraith-stealh.

seems alright so far, but you can always be reductive about it anyway.

Okay potential spoiler talk from the first hour in. It has to do with the captains and is not story related but marking it as spoiler anyhow.

I really hope some new guys get recruited quickly, or they can come back from the dead right? Just from running around the map for an hour half the captains are dead: http://i.imgur.com/SnBYu9w.jpg image link to show what im talking about. Granted I've only done like 2 story missions but I hope they get harder.

Corgi

Banned
lol when i heard this game was like batman, i didn't expect it to be... pretty much exactly like batman lol. From the movement controls to the combat system to its open world stuff(minus flying)... its PRETTY much batman.

I can see why they didn't want this to launch at the same time as batman.

Besides that though, game is fun. Don't really get the sprinting while vaulting over stuff mechanic, not many stuff to vault over in open plain area.

Also captain power levels... don't seem to matter much, if you've mastered batman combat challenges, shit is a joke so far.

will keep at it... but its 2am. tomorrow then!

Top Bottom