• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Midway Arcade Treasures 3 GCN Review on IGN

http://cube.ign.com/articles/661/661435p2.html

Rush 2049 is the headliner of this year's pack, and even if it was released by itself it would still be worth the budget price that the Midway Arcade Treasures is known for. The GameCube version of Rush 2049 is a great compilation if you're just going to race the game by yourself -- add a second, third, or fourth player into the mix and the game shows just how badly the conversion went. San Francisco Rush: The Rock and Hydro Thunder also have their own quirks on the GameCube, but none so much as the multiplayer slowdown of Rush 2049. Because of this, it's hard to slobber over this compilation as I did with the PS2 and Xbox ones. But there's more good than bad with some fun arcade-to-home conversions intact for GameCube owners. This one's just the worst of the three.

I'm still going to buy it, but really, go to hell, Midway, just go to hell.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
Rediculous. And people wonder why GameCube games don't sell as well. I was really looking forward to buying this for GC, but I might pick up the Xbox version now. I hope this trend doesn't get carried over to Revolution. It's the worst parts about being a GC owner. If you're lucky enough to get the game, there's a good chance it won't be worth buying anyway.

MadOdorMachine said:
It's the worst parts about being a GC owner. If you're lucky enough to get the game, there's a good chance it won't be worth buying anyway.

Eh, I don't know. Wasn't the GC version of the original Midway Arcade Treasures considered the best of the 3? The quality seems to vary pretty widely from game to game.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
...without even visiting the review, I'm going to bet that the lousy games in the collection were the Midway developed ports and not the Digital Eclipse developed emulations.

Time to visit the link...

Aha. I was right. Midway's internal development teams are incompetent or sloppy.

bumpkin

Ouch... Any word on if the Super Off-Road port is a-okay? That'd be my main reason for picking that sucker up. :)

DDayton

bumpkin said:
Ouch... Any word on if the Super Off-Road port is a-okay? That'd be my main reason for picking that sucker up. :)

From what the article seems to imply, all the emulated titles are fine... so Super Off-Road should be fine.

Trust Digital Eclipse!

I know this has little to do with the GC version, but I only just decided to play the Metro level of Rush 2049 in MAT3 for PS2 today. The frame rate is fucking disgusting compared to the DC original. In fact, it was nearly unplayable. It's only that one level, though. =\

Bumping this old topic, I noticed Hydro Thunder is missing a bonus level from the Dreamcast version, Catacombs, despite the ?PB cheat unlocking everything.

Oh, and Rush 2049's multiplayer in this version is so bad. 'solid' 15 frames per second for no god damn reason. Its as if Hydro Thunder and Rush 2049 are just running on a Dreamcast emulator.

But Super Off Road works, and thats all that counts. They even brought back that stupid no continue system for the 2D arcade conversions.

Sho Nuff

Banned
I don't know how much of the ports were Digital Eclipse. If you read the credits, there is a ton of outsourced programming to Indian (?) companies.

That'd explain the Game Star people who were tagged as working on this game in the intro.

I'm disappointed theres no developer videos or insider information in this edition. Thats a big disappointment.

DDayton

Sho Nuff said:
I don't know how much of the ports were Digital Eclipse. If you read the credits, there is a ton of outsourced programming to Indian (?) companies.

Again, the emulated titles (Super Off Road, Badlands, and [to the best of my knowledge] Stun Runner) were the only things done by Digital Eclipse. Most of the newer games were ports done "in house by Midway" -- which appears to be code for "outsourced to India."

Sho Nuff

Banned
DavidDayton said:
Again, the emulated titles (Super Off Road, Badlands, and [to the best of my knowledge] Stun Runner) were the only things done by Digital Eclipse. Most of the newer games were ports done "in house by Midway" -- which appears to be code for "outsourced to India."

:(

xexex

Banned
I just picked up the Gamecube MAT3 from GameCrazy this afternoon. played some Rush The Rock Alcatraz Edition...the control is definitally BETTER than either the Xbox and PS2 versions. the graphics are somewhat muddier, but the framerate is not too bad. GCN not as constant a 60fps as on the other two but its still alot smoother than the arcade Rush The Rock...its much more playable now. i believe Midway delayed the GCN version and listened to the complaints about Xbox/PS2 versions, so that they could improve the controls to some extent.

Top Bottom