• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Might & Magic X Legacy |OT| From Corak and Sheltem to Enroth and Erathia

d1rtn4p

Always was a huge fan of M&M, but I felt like they fell off sorta after the Xeen games. I've only put a couple of hours into this one so far and it feels great. I equate Grimlock with the Eye of the Beholder games; they fill a certain niche. I was always more fond of the open-world games like M&M. Can't wait to play this more.

Durante

Wow, what an amazing disparity.

shopkeeper is scum confirmed!
Best job ever.

Always was a huge fan of M&M, but I felt like they fell off sorta after the Xeen games. I've only put a couple of hours into this one so far and it feels great. I equate Grimlock with the Eye of the Beholder games; they fill a certain niche. I was always more fond of the open-world games like M&M. Can't wait to play this more.
Yeah, I have the same preferences. Grimlock was great because there wasn't anything like it in years, and what was there is solid. But M&M X feels like a complete RPG package to a much greater extent.

Gothos

Jesus christ, this game is LONG. I got 40 hours played and just when I think that I finished act III I got ANOTHER main quest in to complete, LOL. Granting, I'm doing every side quest possible, exploring the world etc...

Anyway, I finally found the Air shard but to complete it in the Elemental Forge for the respected blessing I need to solve some really annoying puzzle and I fucking hate annoying puzzles. But if I don't do it my two characters won't be able to promote to their prestige classes. FML....

AkuMifune

Banned
I was drunk, it was late, and some asshole mage feebleminded me. Damn thing actually made me dizzy, the spell really worked!

Goodbye Saturday!

KePoW

Banned

Agreed 100%

I much preferred M&M 3/4/5 instead of 6+

And Grimlock was a good small effort, but doesn't compare at all to M&M 10... this is much better.

garath

Man. I'm loving this game. Been awhile since I've stressed over the min maxing in an RPG. I feel this limited resources in the world weight on my shoulders and I'm avoiding spending anything without feeling like its a great choice. The combat is solid and I am enjoying exploring the world and finding all the chests.

The graphics are rough though. I need to bump everything up another notch. My 660ti seems to be holding up just fine.

I think a ranged char would be helpful to get some early poke on monsters but it needs to be a secondary ability because melee just too important.

Shaldome

So, I'm in act 2, in a dungeon, get to the 4th floor and run across a riddle chest. Riddle makes no sense, but figured I'd try without looking anyway. Got it wrong of course, so I go and look it up, it's a word I've never spoken or heard of in the 38 years I've been on this planet, wtf. Not only that, since I tried to just guess it, the game won't let me try again. It even scrubs previous saves from trying it, fuck that shit.

The answer was
palimpsest

Edit: I'm an idiot and Ubisoft needs to fix the press space to open chest to stay on the screen after failing the first time.

Getting back to this, you can find the answer to this riddle in Karthal. So at least you can solve this by yourself, if you are paying attention and read the gossip of the NPCs around.

Durante

I just finished the lighthouse, and I'm really happy with my difficulty choice. It was sufficiently challenging for my party, particularly the part where
you fight 2 elite and 2 normal Kenshis at the same time

My next "quest" is finding a primordial magic expert trainer, since these identification prices are an affront. If there's anything about the game I'd have to criticize it's that I haven't really found any in-game method of locating trainers. Loving everything else.

desverger

I just finished the lighthouse, and I'm really happy with my difficulty choice. It was sufficiently challenging for my party, particularly the part where

My next "quest" is finding a primordial magic expert trainer, since these identification prices are an affront. If there's anything about the game I'd have to criticize it's that I haven't really found any in-game method of locating trainers. Loving everything else.

That's located in the
wagon labeled "Itinerant Merchant", North of Sorpigal when you head towards the castle

I have just finished the Lighthouse as well, Adventurer feels quite challenging but I'm very happy with my party choice, everyone seems to have useful things to do during fights.

Also I kinda liked the Lighthouse boss, the best tactic was
just hitting him with Lightning Bolt, since he was gaining extra strikes from blocked attacks. My Blademaster almost got the party killed when I was attacking him full on, but if you just chill and toss one spell per round, he's actually pretty weak :p

Shaldome

If you don't want to rob you the "pleasure" of finding the trainer yourself, I posted a link to a trainer list some posts up.

Fugu

I'm just starting the game today. Do the trainers not tell you where all of the other relevant trainers are when you talk to them (ie expert swords tells you where master and GM are)?

Check back in ten years then.

edit: Why am I responding to this.

M&M10 doesn't require Steam. It requires Uplay. Both systems are DRM so I'd feel better about your silly Steam comment if you also swear off Uplay and all forms of DRM.
It's not a "silly Steam comment". You realize that if EVERYONE uses Steam that they have no incentive to compete and therefore no obligation to their customers, right?

Find me one example where a monopoly has worked out well for the consumers. Go ahead, I'll wait.

KePoW

Banned
It's not a "silly Steam comment". You realize that if EVERYONE uses Steam that they have no incentive to compete and therefore no obligation to their customers, right?

Find me one example where a monopoly has worked out well for the consumers. Go ahead, I'll wait.

Microsoft

I've been very happy with their Windows products (Win2000 / XP / Win7 / etc)

Durante

I'm just starting the game today. Do the trainers not tell you where all of the other relevant trainers are when you talk to them (ie expert swords tells you where master and GM are)?
My problem was finding the expert trainer in the first place. It would be helpful if there was someone in the cities you could ask where to get basic training in X. But maybe I just missed it? Anyway, I'm fully trained up now :)

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Wow... I'm really pleasantly surprised by this game. It feels sufficiently "old school" while having a nice clean interface.

Still only just finished the first little spider dungeon, but I really like what I've seen so far. Seems like it has a lot of cool stuff to uncover.

My only gripes are the horrible environmental object pop-in in the town, and the massively inconsistent texture quality.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Nothing there. There's two caves I haven't explored, both with nasty monsters at the beginning and there's also
two ghosts that easily kill my mage in one round in front of what I assume is some dungeon

Castle Portmeryron

Fou-Lu

Man I have been sitting here for forever trying to choose my party. So much to consider. (Bladedancer or Ranger for my Elf? Or should I just go Druid and have a four wizard party?)

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
21 hours and still in Act 2. Loving this game.

Edit: This game really needs to be played in Warrior mode to be fully enjoyed in my opinion.

Sinatar

Ward tells me I need an appointment (or whatever the English term is in this case, I'm playing in German) and throws me out. Done the lighthouse quest, done the thieves den.

Did you fully finish the lighthouse as in not just killing the boss but solving the puzzle on top to turn the light back on?

desverger

Nothing there. There's two caves I haven't explored, both with nasty monsters at the beginning and there's also
two ghosts that easily kill my mage in one round in front of what I assume is some dungeon

I just literally did this part. It kinda sounds like you are stuck :/

What I did after the
Bandit Caves: After I got the book and the woman disappeared from my party, I just went to the orc at town who's been giving all the quests. He had a new quest for me, which directed me at the big castle I couldn't enter before. I haven't done any of the optional dungeons in the area (two caves and the crypt), now have I found the sword.

Durante

I almost forgot how much more satisfying it is to find a quest objective in an open world game when there aren't 3 separate indicators pointing towards it in your HUD.

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
For those who finished the first part of the jassad quest, did he give you anything as a reward? I didn't receive anything, no money, items or xp.

Moff

Open quests:
Sword of the Bounty Hunter
Jassad's Bestiary
Ashes to Ashes
Lost Lambs
The Secret of the Obelisks

Finished quests:
Looking for work
Spiders in the Well
Darkness in the Lighthouse
The Highwaymen
Smuggler's Cove
Flowers for Fallen Heroes
The Secret of the Obelisks

I guess I might have to
find the sword
first? Is that mandatory?

it seems like you're stuck, you should have a quest to return to maximus.
you definitely do not need to find the sword, you cant do that yet

Moff

I just literally did this part. It kinda sounds like you are stuck :/

What I did after the
Bandit Caves: After I got the book and the woman disappeared from my party, I just went to the orc at town who's been giving all the quests. He had a new quest for me, which directed me at the big castle I couldn't enter before. I haven't done any of the optional dungeons in the area (two caves and the crypt), now have I found the sword.
where was the sword?

Durante

Wow... I'm really pleasantly surprised by this game. It feels sufficiently "old school" while having a nice clean interface.
Yeah, I already talked about the interface earlier but it can't be said enough how good a job they did on that. And not just the HUD character sheets, inventory, skills or log (which are all excellent, both in terms of function as well as aesthetics), but also its speed. Once you get familiar with the keyboard shortcuts you can do everything extremely quickly (and even complete combat turns in 2 seconds - literally). I'm really impressed by that.

They even took care of some details I wouldn't expect. For example, when I got the identification spell I was positively surprised that the interface for item selection also had an "identify all" button.

Anyway, great UI design.

Sinatar

Yeah, I already talked about the interface earlier but it can't be said enough how good a job they did on that. And not just the HUD character sheets, inventory, skills or log (which are all excellent, both in terms of function as well as aesthetics), but also its speed. Once you get familiar with the keyboard shortcuts you can do everything extremely quickly (and even complete combat turns in 2 seconds - literally). I'm really impressed by that.

They even took care of some details I wouldn't expect. For example, when I got the identification spell I was positively surprised that the interface for item selection also had an "identify all" button.

Anyway, great UI design.

Yea it's great. Love the identify all function, so nice.

Durante

If all turn based games allowed me to set enemies to 400% speed and complete my turns in 1 second flat I wouldn't always be concerned about them wasting my time. Of course, you simply can't really achieve that speed in any game where you need to continuously reposition.

Anyway, about the lost lambs quest.
I am really unsure about whether to let Luke go or not. That's a good thing. I do wonder how it will affect the final outcome.

If all turn based games allowed me to set enemies to 400% speed and complete my turns in 1 second flat I wouldn't always be concerned about them wasting my time. Of course, you simply can't really achieve that speed in any game where you need to continuously reposition.

Anyway, about the lost lambs quest.
I am really unsure about whether to let Luke go or not. That's a good thing. I do wonder how it will affect the final outcome.

I killed him fro the xp.

Fugu

Anyway, great UI design.
I'm glad the interface is good. The most prohibitive aspect of the pre-6 games is definitely the interface.

Durante

Yea I viewed Luke as an xp/loot pinata and cracked his candy skull open.

No regrets.
I did the same in the end. Still, I do have some regrets, particularly after I heard the story from the traveling merchant.

I'm glad the interface is good. The most prohibitive aspect of the pre-6 games is definitely the interface.
I'd actually say it's "great", not just good. There's almost nothing I'd change in it. Only having multiple skill bars, and an option to display more at once in higher resolution. Well, and because I'm bonkers about map notes I'd like to be able to select the color of the map notes I add :p

epmode

How much vitality are you guys using for caster classes? It looks like HP doesn't go up per level so my freemage is eventually going to be in danger of being one-shotted.

I'm so bad at stat allocation.

Durante

How much vitality are you guys using for caster classes? It looks like HP doesn't go up per level so my freemage is eventually going to be in danger of being one-shotted.

I'm so bad at stat allocation.
All glass cannon all the way so far. Have like 34 Magic and Spirit and 6 in everything else on both my Freemage and my Druid :p

But I generally either divert attacks to my tank or have that light magic spell up which absorbs damage. Still, once there are more enemies which do AoE damage I'll probably be forced to level HP a bit.

Shaldome

I did the same in the end. Still, I do have some regrets, particularly after I heard the story from the traveling merchant.

I'd actually say it's "great", not just good. There's almost nothing I'd change in it. Only having multiple skill bars, and an option to display more at once in higher resolution. Well, and because I'm bonkers about map notes I'd like to be able to select the color of the map notes I add :p

You might be onto something with your feelings.

I killed all three and handed it in.

Ok, seriously, a mother lets you kill her three sons, because they went delinquent and is unable to do it herself because she cannot kill her own children? That women needs help.

KePoW

Banned
Graphics question:

I have everything maxed in the video settings. Does anyone find it blurry in dungeons? Like off in the distance (2 to 3+ tiles away) and even the enemy models themselves.

It almost looks like there's some depth of field thing going on, but I really don't like how it looks.

Outside environments I don't really notice it, seems a lot sharper in general. Just wondering if everyone gets this or it's something with my settings.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Microsoft

I've been very happy with their Windows products (Win2000 / XP / Win7 / etc)
So off topic, but that's a pretty bad example. They needed other competition lighting a fire under their ass to do good things.

Durante

Outside environments I don't really notice it, seems a lot sharper in general. Just wondering if everyone gets this or it's something with my settings.

It's a mild depth of field effect. You can see it here for example:

might-and-magic-x-legi9say.jpg

I generally like the effect, but in some cases, particularly with distant enemies, it can look a bit strange.

Kyuur

Is there any way to highlight ranged monsters and see what buffs/debuffs they have? They appear shortly when being damaged but then fade out, mousing over seems to do nothing. It's really annoying. :/

KePoW

Banned
It's a mild depth of field effect. You can see it here for example:

I generally like the effect, but in some cases, particularly with distant enemies, it can look a bit strange.

Thanks for the reply Durante. Yeah it looked like some kind of DoF, I just didn't know if it was on purpose.

Yeah the part that jars me the most is it's also applied to enemy models... looks really bad on that. For the environment it's not as big a deal.

Wish I could turn off DoF separately.

Top Bottom