• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Might & Magic X Legacy |OT| From Corak and Sheltem to Enroth and Erathia

Shaldome

Is there any non-temporary hireling in the game who is as useful as Rosalie?

Haven't bothered much with the early ones and only hat the goblin cook with me.
The other one I still carry around is the one quest guy which gives 10 % more monster xp. As the second one I have a treasure hunter at the moment, which gives more gold and enchanted items. You have to reach The Crag for her though.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
This sword is effing cray cray, I love it.

12140682393_58d81a32c8_o.png

Durante

Oh wow that's pretty awesome. Love the concept of leveling items by the way, and also how you unlock more of the item's lore/backstory with each level.

I just found that there's a hidden reason provided in-game for why the well in Sorpigal is infested by huge spiders. Neat!

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I tried this on my tv with Xpadder, and it works pretty great with a controller. I haven't run into anything too fiddly yet, but the only thing I thought would be there real problem (reading the text from a couch) is good so far.

garath

That's located in the
wagon labeled "Itinerant Merchant", North of Sorpigal when you head towards the castle

I have just finished the Lighthouse as well, Adventurer feels quite challenging but I'm very happy with my party choice, everyone seems to have useful things to do during fights.

Also I kinda liked the Lighthouse boss, the best tactic was
just hitting him with Lightning Bolt, since he was gaining extra strikes from blocked attacks. My Blademaster almost got the party killed when I was attacking him full on, but if you just chill and toss one spell per round, he's actually pretty weak :p

Lighthouse boss giving me problems.. only have one effective spell tosser unfortunately :( Might have to come back to it.

Gothos

Hit my wall at ravenous ghouls. ugh. Need to step away from it for a bit. 4 of them is too many! I can't do it.

Yeah, Ravenous Ghouls are one of the worst enemies in the game. If you're underlevelled they will shred your team to pieces :D

Anyway, just finished it. 46 hours played according to Steam. I think I explored the whole world but somehow I wasn't able to find a quest for prestiging my Freemage so I guess that in the end I didn't explore it all :p
The last boss fight was something different than I expected and think it took me about 40 minutes to finish it - it's a long fight, you'll see by yourself :) After outro there is description of some of our actions in the game and their consequences - nice touch. Also, one can continue playing after the story wraps up.
In general - fantastic game. Writing the review will be a pleasure :D

And those of you playing on Warrior - brace yourself for some tought fucking fights; some of them weren't that easy on Adventurer, I don't wanna think how they look on Warrior :D

Unison

Dumb question, but I made a mage that seemingly can't hold weapons/crossbows. What can I do to fix him? Are there novice trainers? Can I fix it when I level him up eventually?

Cheech

I stupidly didn't realize there was a Skillbook, accessible by hitting G.

derp derp derp

Hah hah hah. I did the same thing, mentioned earlier up. I got my crew all the way up to level 12/13 before realizing there was a skill tab in the spell book.

jrcbandit

Should I just use default for attribute point allocation, I'm really not sure what to do. Is Perception really needed for non bow users and if so how much? Destiny is key for Bladedancer, is it needed on any other class? Should freecaster and runepriest only raise magic and spirit, with a very small amount of vitality?

The idea that this game has a limited number of monsters and also a limited amount of money is really driving me to play it in weird ways.

For example I do all my real exploring of the world when I am worn out, weakened and feebleminded. As long as I don't try to take on enemies, I can roam around as much as I like and fill in all the map squares without wasting "healthy" turns. Even then, sometimes I can get through some combats and use fountains to refill afterward. You can even wander in circles for a full day to get the fountains to keep regenerating. But yeah...if I rested every time I got tired, I'd just be wasting precious money.

Also, I found out that chests are totally random. That really bugs me, knowing that not only can you not grind enemies for money, but you might get screwed over by the random number generator and end up with less money or nothing but the wrong types of equipment for your group.

I discovered this in the lighthouse. There's an easily accessible chest right after the stairs to floor 2. I had saved before going up the stairs, and every time I reloaded and went up again, the loot was different. Sometimes I got 2 items and gold, sometimes I got 3. The value of the chest ranged from 600 to 900.

There's also an easily accessible secret chest behind a wall after the stairs to floor 3, and it has 2 random enchanted items. The first time I opened it, I got 2 enchanted bows...and I only have one bow user. If I hadn't known the chests were random I would've just taken them, but now I can reroll those items. The second time there was a helmet and gloves. I have enough points to be an expert in prime magic and learn Identify, so I'm going back and getting that so I can get a good haul from that particular chest.

garath

What's your party?

Go and do the thieves hideout quest. I had 2 magic users that could sling though.

My party is a human freemage, dwarf runecrafter, human crusader and elf bladedancer.

My runecrafter has a fire spell that does a ton of damage. He's my main source of damage on the boss. The freemage has light, dark, primordial, air and water. The water spell and air spell do squat for damage. I mostly use her for celestial armor. I have expert primordial for the identify spell but after that I don't know what to invest in for her to get more damage.

I'll go back to the thieves den and see if a level or two helps.

The idea that this game has a limited number of monsters and also a limited amount of money is really driving me to play it in weird ways.

For example I do all my real exploring of the world when I am worn out, weakened and feebleminded. As long as I don't try to take on enemies, I can roam around as much as I like and fill in all the map squares without wasting "healthy" turns. Even then, sometimes I can get through some combats and use fountains to refill afterward. You can even wander in circles for a full day to get the fountains to keep regenerating. But yeah...if I rested every time I got tired, I'd just be wasting precious money.

Also, I found out that chests are totally random. That really bugs me, knowing that not only can you not grind enemies for money, but you might get screwed over by the random number generator and end up with less money or nothing but the wrong types of equipment for your group.

I discovered this in the lighthouse. There's an easily accessible chest right after the stairs to floor 2. I had saved before going up the stairs, and every time I reloaded and went up again, the loot was different. Sometimes I got 2 items and gold, sometimes I got 3. The value of the chest ranged from 600 to 900.

There's also an easily accessible secret chest behind a wall after the stairs to floor 3, and it has 2 random enchanted items. The first time I opened it, I got 2 enchanted bows...and I only have one bow user. If I hadn't known the chests were random I would've just taken them, but now I can reroll those items. The second time there was a helmet and gloves. I have enough points to be an expert in prime magic and learn Identify, so I'm going back and getting that so I can get a good haul from that particular chest.

Just FYI random loot from chests/ bodies is the STAPLE of Might & Magic series.

/remembers reloading for hours when looting Gold Dragons corpses in Mandate of Heaven

Just FYI random loot from chests/ bodies is the STAPLE of Might & Magic series.

/remembers reloading for hours when looting Gold Dragons corpses in Mandate of Heaven

Yes, but so are monster closets that keep 'em coming as long as you like. :p

Is Perception really needed for non bow users and if so how much?

Perception is really strongly needed for melee people. Especially heavy armor users since heavy armor reduces your attack significantly. It's very important. Don't be afraid to raise it too much, if nothing else you'll just be ahead of the curve.

Unison

Is there a way to search for secret passages in this game? What enables your party to spot them? I am sure I am missing things...

Yes, but so are monster closets that keep 'em coming as long as you like. :p

I think from 2 or 3 onwards the monster set was finite... Unless I'm misremembering...

Is there a way to search for secret passages in this game? What enables your party to spot them? I am sure I am missing things...

There's a dark spell that lets you see the yellow outline of secret passages for a certain number of steps.

I think from 2 or 3 onwards the monster set was finite... Unless I'm misremembering...

You are. They were stuff like this (Xeen):

9elTD8I.png

Unison

You are. They were stuff like this (Xeen):

9elTD8I.png

Wacky... I played through 2-7 and don't remember ever grinding in the games. I didn't even remember it being possible. They've always been more about exploration to me... about filling in every box on the map.

How are you guys keeping your mages alive? I think the last time I played 6 I pretty much maxed endurance on everyone, I'm tempted to do the same thing here but I'm always afraid I'm going to run out of skill points. I'm on chapter 2 and the last boss I fought was 1 shotting my casters.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
How are you guys keeping your mages alive? I think the last time I played 6 I pretty much maxed endurance on everyone, I'm tempted to do the same thing here but I'm always afraid I'm going to run out of skill points. I'm on chapter 2 and the last boss I fought was 1 shotting my casters.

I make heavy use of defensive spells like celestial armor and shadow cloak. Your tank characters also get skills that let them draw agro.

Wacky... I played through 2-7 and don't remember ever grinding in the games. I didn't even remember it being possible. They've always been more about exploration to me... about filling in every box on the map.

Well I'm not hugely in favor of grinding, but I'd at least like it to be possible. I don't like that the max level is a function of the amount of XP in the game, once you've gotten all the XP then you're stuck wherever you're at.

Even worse is the fact that an unconscious or dead party member gets no XP. Even stunned party members get nothing! They'll forever be behind, and IIRC the rest of the party doesn't even get his share. Just completely wasted XP. In a few fights I've had to hang out for a few turns just to get a guy unstunned so he could get XP.

Durante

Yeah, I'm totally back in the groove now. Filling squares:
might-and-magic-x-leghaaf8.jpg

And finding secrets:
might-and-magic-x-legxwzau.jpg

(it's always nice to finally find something after running around for 300 turns and recasting the buff 5 times -- diligence pays off :p)

V_Arnold

By the way, you do not need anything to sense secret passages. Just push against the wall where you suspect it. I fully cleared Thief's den like that, found like 4-5 different secret rooms. Having automatic detection is of course much easier, but it is still not an absolute necessity.

So if you are unscrupulous it's pretty easy to modify a single text file to change a lot of stuff about the game. Just to let people know...

Steam\SteamApps\common\Might & Magic X - Legacy\Might and Magic X Legacy_Data\StreamingAssets

config.txt is full of fun things to change. I've only tested one thing and I can confirm it works, so I would assume the rest is fair game too.

You can make each step a shorter number of minutes so time doesn't pass so quickly (minutesPerTurnOutdoor = 5). You can gain more skills and stats at level up (skillPointsPerLevelUp = 3, attributePointsPerLevelUp = 4). Looks like you can change the base cost of identifying items, resting at an inn, or traveling.

The part I tested was to gain more health and mana from points invested (healthPerMight = 0, healthPerVitality = 3, manaPerMagic = 0, manaPerSpirit = 3). I changed healthPerMight and manaPerMagic, and when I loaded the game my characters had a higher max health and mana.

I won't keep these changes, just messing around to see what's there.

By the way, you do not need anything to sense secret passages. Just push against the wall where you suspect it. I fully cleared Thief's den like that, found like 4-5 different secret rooms. Having automatic detection is of course much easier, but it is still not an absolute necessity.

When you cleared the thieves' den you probably had its quest NPC along with you, the woman who automatically detects secret doors. I assume when she is gone you have to cast the spell to see the yellow outlines.

V_Arnold

When you cleared the thieves' den you probably had its quest NPC along with you, the woman who automatically detects secret doors. I assume when she is gone you have to cast the spell to see the yellow outlines.

Hm, you might be right. Damn..... :O
But it is probably okay. I remade my team and my new freemage has the spell for the detection.

My party is a human freemage, dwarf runecrafter, human crusader and elf bladedancer.

My runecrafter has a fire spell that does a ton of damage. He's my main source of damage on the boss. The freemage has light, dark, primordial, air and water. The water spell and air spell do squat for damage. I mostly use her for celestial armor. I have expert primordial for the identify spell but after that I don't know what to invest in for her to get more damage.

I'll go back to the thieves den and see if a level or two helps.

I have ranger, barbarian, freemage, runecrafter. Both my main magic users have fire spells. I did expert primordial like you but they both can launch fireballs too. If you level up light magic, the celestial armor lasts longer and absorbs more damage. Since the boss barely does any damage each turn with celestial armor, it isn't too bad. I also have my ranger with regenerate, which makes this quite easy to manage.

have the runecrafter do celestial armor every turn while you throw fire at it. I also just hit it with my other characters in melee which apparently isn't smart but whatever.

From reading around on forums, there are some ridiculous oversights in this game.

Like there's the Uplay Relic Set, which gives you a nice relic 2 handed axe...except the two classes that can grandmaster axes don't have the 2 handed skill, and the only class that does grandmaster 2 handed only goes up to master on axe. There's no way to take complete advantage of it. The same thing applies to 2 handed swords, you kind of get the shaft when it comes to maxing it out.

Or the fact that you can get badly stuck in the game if you don't prioritize certain stats. For example, you have to finish the thieves' hideout to progress in the game, and to do that you have to break through a secret wall to get to the lower floor...except the secret wall requires a certain amount of the might stat to get through it, so if you've built a mage team (or even a hybrid team without much might) you might not be able to progress.

Or the fact that you can get badly stuck in the game if you don't prioritize certain stats. For example, you have to finish the thieves' hideout to progress in the game, and to do that you have to break through a secret wall to get to the lower floor...except the secret wall requires a certain amount of the might stat to get through it, so if you've built a mage team (or even a hybrid team without much might) you might not be able to progress.

I rerolled an all mage team and ran into this issue with the secret door. There is a shrine just east of the forest that gives you 10 might for 300 turns or something. I was able to open the might door using this. I think you need 15 total.

I'm not sure how I feel about all spell casters (1 of each). It started pretty great, but I'm in act 2 (just completed lost city) and now I don't really know where to go to avoid getting destroyed. Not sure if it's a party thing or I'm just in the wrong spots but it seems like any place I can explore has horrible enemies at this point. I can't figure out how to get to The Crag.

Qvoth

Is there like a list of skills and spells for each class etc?
Wanna build my party from scratch but without knowing what they'll learn it's kinda hard

Like what's the best healer class? Druid? But I want my elf to be a blade dancer...

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Played a bunch today, and it is a fun game, but it sure does have some really weird graphical issues. Just feels terribly unpolished in this respect.

Is there like a list of skills and spells for each class etc?
Wanna build my party from scratch but without knowing what they'll learn it's kinda hard

Like what's the best healer class? Druid? But I want my elf to be a blade dancer...
There is a good picture in the OP showing classes and skills. There are two early healing spells. Regeneration (Earth) will heal all characters a small amount and continue to heal you for three turns. Heal (Light) will heal a large amount to a single character.

I'm only in Act II so those are still good enough for me.

rybrad

Apparently I need a flute to progress into Sudgerd but I have no clue where to get one. If anyone could help me out with a location I would greatly appreciate it.

Rom1944

Man i just got to say that this game capture the old game series feeling perfecly i was exceptic at first but after playing it im a believer.
it got me hooked like no other single player game for a long time.

Durante

Man i just got to say that this game capture the old game series feeling perfecly i was exceptic at first but after playing it im a believer.
Yeah, same here. Good thing is I don't really need to do anything today other than play it :p

Like there's the Uplay Relic Set, which gives you a nice relic 2 handed axe...except the two classes that can grandmaster axes don't have the 2 handed skill, and the only class that does grandmaster 2 handed only goes up to master on axe. There's no way to take complete advantage of it. The same thing applies to 2 handed swords, you kind of get the shaft when it comes to maxing it out.
I don't think that's necessarily an oversight, just shows that it's not always possible or desirable to go for min/maxing everything.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper

Man, when I had to enter text to open a chest....brought nerdy little tears to my eyes

Now, on to those verdammt spectres...

Moff

I'm at a point where I can say that I absolutely love this game.
I think they have done everything right, combat is incredibly smooth and satisfying, and I say that as someone who usually doesnt like round based combat at all. dungeon design is really good, and there is actually quite some dialogues and story in the game, its far from being a pure dungeon crawler. exploration is fun and satisfying, although the overworld and towns really dont look good, but what are you gonna do with a low budget concept? dungeons, enemies and the interface look GREAT, couldnt want more.
I really hope this game is successfull.

can you miss some relics by the way? It seems everyone has tons of them, I have like 3 at the moment.

Top Bottom