• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Might & Magic X Legacy |OT| From Corak and Sheltem to Enroth and Erathia

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I hav a mpa note somewhere which is "holy crap spectres". First group of enemies I found in the game which completely steamrolled me.

I have a quest to beat them and I've been handling everything with ...well, not ease, but enough to the point where I think I can take 'em.

I have to finish the dungeon I'm on now but those deadites are straight in my crosshairs.

(PS, the crusader is absolutely useless)

Victrix

*beard*
I'm baffled at people saying the graphics don't look good, the game looks great

Remember you need to change graphic settings on the main menu, not in-game or they don't take effect, and some people were saying that if you had early access installed it would prevent you from properly changing graphic settings in the release version

But if it's not that, I'll just disagree :p

Durante

There are a few things which are inconsistent, but overall I agree that the graphics are great for what they had to work with.

Also got downsampling working in this game!

screenshot_2014-01-268vkky.jpg

Victrix

*beard*
When you get there, take a few nice shots of the (early act 2 spoiler)

Elemental Forge area off to the side with the air elementals. It looks like you've stepped out into a nebula, it's awesome looking

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
Anyone finished the first part of jassad's bestiary yet? I finished 10 entries and then 20 entries but he doesn't give me any reward...

Knurek

How are the map notes compared to, say, Etrian Odyssey?

Can you disable automapping and draw your own grids? Are there dungeon crawler mainstays (spinners, teleporters, etc) in dungeons, or is it more puzzle oriented?

Durante

How are the map notes compared to, say, Etrian Odyssey?

Can you disable automapping and draw your own grids? Are there dungeon crawler mainstays (spinners, teleporters, etc) in dungeons, or is it more puzzle oriented?
Map notes are pretty basic, but you can use as many and enter as much text as you want.

You can't disable automapping (and I don't think you'd want to, these maps are huge), and I've seen quite a few teleporters so far but no spinners (which wouldn't really make much sense with automapping).

Gothos

Wow this is a depressing glimpse into the mind of the modern gamer.

Just basing on the amount of hours he spent in game (30) I can say he rushed his progress a bit; probably that's why he thinks combat is sooooo difficult. My bet is he was underlevelled and to be honest I wouldn't even be sure that he even finished the game.

Apparently I need a flute to progress into Sudgerd but I have no clue where to get one. If anyone could help me out with a location I would greatly appreciate it.

You don't need the flute to progress deeper into Sudgerd. I finished it wihout using Flute - well, I tried but I couldn't get the tone right. I think it's for some optional quest but I never found out for which one :)

Slayerx

This game is so damn good.

Just got a water shard but I'm already 20 hours in. I do not understand these reviews :/

Darkone

Don`t know if its a bug but i cannot progress, i cleared the castle and i try to use
the griffon to do the elemental quest but when i talk to Rev i cannot choose for him to take me to the Elves, the option is dark, i can only choose the gossip line

Anyone else had this?

KePoW

Banned
Don`t know if its a bug but i cannot progress, i cleared the castle and i try to use
the griffon to do the elemental quest but when i talk to Rev i cannot choose for him to take me to the Elves, the option is dark, i can only choose the gossip line

Anyone else had this?

That's weird, have you tried reloading?

Arkeus

Anyone else had this?

Yes, some other people did. Apparently you need to Redeem your game code in-game (in the menu screen under continue/etc, there is an Extra button).

Hope that works for you.
Like there's the Uplay Relic Set, which gives you a nice relic 2 handed axe...except the two classes that can grandmaster axes don't have the 2 handed skill, and the only class that does grandmaster 2 handed only goes up to master on axe. There's no way to take complete advantage of it. The same thing applies to 2 handed swords, you kind of get the shaft when it comes to maxing it out.
That's on purpose. All of the relics there are on items you can't use without sacrifices in late-game.

Or the fact that you can get badly stuck in the game if you don't prioritize certain stats. For example, you have to finish the thieves' hideout to progress in the game, and to do that you have to break through a secret wall to get to the lower floor...except the secret wall requires a certain amount of the might stat to get through it, so if you've built a mage team (or even a hybrid team without much might) you might not be able to progress.

Use shrines that gives you stat boosts (there is one just around the Cyclope cave) and it's perfectly doable. Hell, use the cook companion for well-rested too.

There is a reason that caster-only or might-only parties are not for beginners.

Durante

Anyone else had this?
I had the exact same thing happen, this fixed the issue for me:
Yes, some other people did. Apparently you need to Redeem your game code in-game (in the menu screen under continue/etc, there is an Extra button).

Shaldome

Apparently I need a flute to progress into Sudgerd but I have no clue where to get one. If anyone could help me out with a location I would greatly appreciate it.

I found the flute in
The Tower of Enigma
, which is in the vicinity of Karthhal

can you miss some relics by the way? It seems everyone has tons of them, I have like 3 at the moment.

I think the only ones you can miss are those in the chests in the secret rooms. The other relics I got came from either quest rewards or bosses. I must have found around 12.

Anyone finished the first part of jassad's bestiary yet? I finished 10 entries and then 20 entries but he doesn't give me any reward...

I am about to hand in the 40 entries one and haven't gotten any rewards yet. My guess would be that you will get something at the end of the chain.

(PS, the crusader is absolutely useless)

I wouldn't say crusader is useless. Mine is my main healer and with heavy armor and shield is quit robust. I pimped his resistances with every barrel and potion I found an he has every resistances above 20, some over 30 and that's without investing points in Arcane Discipline which I plan to grand master in the near future.

I finished his Paladin quest although I cannot find what has changed, despite the title of the char and the icon in the character screen.

Does anyone have an idea of whats the exact reward for doing the class quest other then xp? Couldn't find any changes for my blade master as well.

spiritfox

Q. about the Paladin quest:

The stone disk is not in the crypt is it? I know I have found 2 pieces outside, even before the dungeon, so I guess I have to find the rest? Can I just kill that ghost.

Shaldome

Q. about the Paladin quest:

The stone disk is not in the crypt is it? I know I have found 2 pieces outside, even before the dungeon, so I guess I have to find the rest? Can I just kill that ghost.

Yes they are outside. One is in the Lost City dungeon and the other one you can buy in Karthal.

As a follow up to my question to what the class quests give, I found the answer. Both the Paladin and the Blademaster got some new skills in their skill book. Seems I was to tired yesterday to notice.

So, thanks to you lot i just bought this because i'm not feeling any of my other games and Legacy seems like exactly what i want at the moment. Your enthusiasm is infectious :)

Some questions though while it's installing.

Any tips or things to avoid when starting out?
The code i have to activate on UPlay to avoid a bug, is that the CD Key from Steam? - Looks like it was and it's activate in my Uplay account.

Really looking forward to giving this my full attention for the rest of the day. Can't wait.

Durante

When are you supposed to do that Area? I get my ass handed off to me when i try.
I actually managed to kill the light elementals (with a great expenditure of potions), but the air elementals 1-shot my entire party. I hope those are for later :p

NIN90

I actually managed to kill the light elementals (with a great expenditure of potions), but the air elementals 1-shot my entire party. I hope those are for later :p

Same here. Looks like that whole dungeon is something you go back to throughout the game.

Gothos

So, thanks to you lot i just bought this because i'm not feeling any of my other games and Legacy seems like exactly what i want at the moment. Your enthusiasm is infectious :)

Really looking forward to giving this my full attention for the rest of the day. Can't wait.

Welcome aboard :p Few tips for start? Sure.

1. Range characters (imho) suck
2. Dual Wield is amazing (daggers, swords, doesn't matter)
3. Invest in HP on your more squishy chars (mage, healer)
4. Perception stat is very good for melee chars (it's basically +accuracy), imho better than Might
5. Try to spread schools of magic on few chars so you won't be blocked when one of them is unconcious and you lose the ability to heal/protect the rest of the party
6. List of trainers: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1shgqdg5Yx7Ziw4vi23GrUXkkf24_6woQuQfHy_wkYN4/preview?sle=true

Durante

Tips? If I had to build my party again I wouldn't take a pure tank. Sure, lots of HP and blocking are nice, but I still think the mixed classes have more utility. I'd go with 2 pure casters and 2 mixed.

Darkone

Tips? If I had to build my party again I wouldn't take a pure tank. Sure, lots of HP and blocking are nice, but I still think the mixed classes have more utility. I'd go with 2 pure casters and 2 mixed.

Agree, The first party i had Defender and i was struggling, the second party i started i took Blademaster instead, did much better.

Darkone

The code i have to activate on UPlay to avoid a bug, is that the CD Key from Steam? - Looks like it was and it's activate in my Uplay account.

Get Cure poison as fast as you can.
its under Earth spells.

WanderingWind

Agree, The first party i had Defender and i was struggling, the second party i started i took Blademaster instead, did much better.

Agreed. The Crusader (despite reports to the contrary ;) is just bad. His attacks are no stronger than the Bladedancer, who evades better and can hit twice, helping to nullify characters that block or have a high evade. Hint. That is most of the enemies. Bladedancer is pretty much strictly better, unless him turning into a Paladin gives him a boost. Right now, even with a super high Perception and Attack, he's hitting only about 50 percent of the time. Placed against a Bladedancer who is hitting far above that, with less Perception and it's clear that from start to about midway through the Crusader is just a wholly dead class.

Thanks. That'll get me started for sure!

Planning to run with Crusader or Defender, Runepriest, Shaman, Blade Dancer for my first suicide squad and then decide if i need to change anything out after they've been wiped out :)
That trainer list will come in handy too and i've found a blank map of the area which i'll print out and add notes to. I think it's time to just get stuck in for a session and see how it goes.

Arkeus

Agreed. The Crusader (despite reports to the contrary ;) is just bad. His attacks are no stronger than the Bladedancer, who evades better and can hit twice, helping to nullify characters that block or have a high evade. Hint. That is most of the enemies. Bladedancer is pretty much strictly better, unless him turning into a Paladin gives him a boost. Right now, even with a super high Perception and Attack, he's hitting only about 50 percent of the time. Placed against a Bladedancer who is hitting far above that, with less Perception and it's clear that from start to about midway through the Crusader is just a wholly dead class.

You need to play the Crusader differently.

Though i was extremely lucky and got a relentless sword early on (you strike a second time against last enemy attacked), my Crusader is pretty much my 'Tank' that does a decent amount of damage.

Given my Crusader is almost never blocked/miss twice, he is a reliable one for taunts, but he is also a very good blocker (master block gets you a strike whenever you block), has a very decent Light Magic (even without pumping magic much, it's very useful because Heal/Ceslestial Armor/Party Heal/Ressurect are just that good.), and you -need- a secondary healer in case your primary healer gets knocked out.

Having Arcane Discipline to GM also means that, couple with Heavy Armor and Shield, your crusader will almost never die. While a defender that never dies is meh, a Crusader that never dies can ressurect and heal, which is needed.

Also, using a druid/runepriest/freemage as healers tends to be a bit idea as that means they can't do anything else, while using a Crusader doesn't change that he strike back on blocks.

Durante

Actually, you don't seem to agree with me at all :p

The Crusader is a mixed class, and I find mine very useful, particularly for the light magic. I just can't get much use out of my defender.

Shaldome

See I have a different opinion on this. I don't see the Crusader (or Paladin after the class quest) as an offensive class. Sure I do use him for attacks when my Free Mage can't do much, because of resist. She goes on Celestial Armour duty then and I whack away with the paladin with the occasional heal here and there when needed. Which is the prime use of him for me.

In nearly every rpg there is the goal of protect-the-healer. I don't have to do this here as he wears heavy armor and wears a shield and is therefore quit sturdy. In retrospect I might have given him even less might and perception and maybe should have just concentrated on might endurance and spirit during the level ups.

As for the changes by becoming a paladin class, you get two new skills. one is Lay on Hands, which heals the whole party to full health and costs all mana. The second is Mandate of Heaven. This is a buff that adds light damage to the melee and ranged attacks for a certain number of turns and costs 50 mana.
I haven't noticed any other changes, when I became a Paladin, but I might miss something there.

I don't know the other "healing classes" so I can't comment on them, but if you want a healer who can take a punch and keeps your party alive with the occasional hit a a monster, I don't think the crusader is a bad choice. Is he the best choice? That I cannot answer as I have not looked into the other options (yet).

If you want a more offensive healer, you can get your Free Mages Light Magic to master level and get access to Heal Party, Resurrection and that might be all you need. Although in my case my Free Mage is the first one who gets out of the game and needs the help of my Paladin. ;)

But to each his own, which is actually the beauty of it as there is not "one option" to go for.

WanderingWind

Well, agree to disagree then. I think the Crusader is just a worse version of Bladedancer. One hits, one doesn't. One evades, one doesn't. The choice is clear. Sure, the Crusader can soak up damage, but frankly, that's a useless skill when enemies can attack anybody they want. If his Challenge ability wasn't dependent on a melee strike, he'd serve a purpose. As it stands now, there just isn't anything he does that another class doesn't do better.

robin2

I'm about to buy this game and I would like to know if it's worth getting the deluxe edition on steam... any thoughts ?
The deluxe edition on Greenman Gaming costs the same as the standard, 24,99€; that's EU obviously, don't know about US. And I don't know if you get a Steam redeem code or just a Uplay redeem code (anyone knows?).

D

Deleted member 59090

Unconfirmed Member
The deluxe edition on Greenman Gaming costs the same as the standard, 24,99€; that's EU obviously, don't know about US. And I don't know if you get a Steam redeem code or just a Uplay redeem code (anyone knows?).

It's Uplay only and it's $24.99 (also in EU depending on where you live).

Well, agree to disagree then. I think the Crusader is just a worse version of Bladedancer. One hits, one doesn't. One evades, one doesn't. The choice is clear. Sure, the Crusader can soak up damage, but frankly, that's a useless skill when enemies can attack anybody they want. If his Challenge ability wasn't dependent on a melee strike, he'd serve a purpose. As it stands now, there just isn't anything he does that another class doesn't do better.

I agree with this, especially the challenge part. If that wasn't dependent on hitting, it would make the class much better.

Honestly, with a leveled up Celestial armor, I haven't seen the need for a guy that soaks up damage unless I run into something I'm underleveled for like the cyclops cave early on.

robin2

It's Uplay only and it's $24.99 (also in EU depending on where you live).
If I buy it on steam, is it still wholly managed by Uplay? I mean: game updates come trough Uplay rather than Steam and Steam basically just works as a sort of "launcher" for Uplay (and with it, the game itself), right?

Arkeus

If I buy it on steam, is it still wholly managed by Uplay? I mean: game updates come trough Uplay rather than Steam and Steam basically just works as a sort of "launcher" for Uplay (and with it, the game itself), right?

No, if you get it on steam, you DL the game/updates via steam, which means that it's much faster, and you also don't have the issue of Uplay periodically erasing your saves for the lulz.

Zafir

I don't mind paying the extra 5 dollars on steam, but just want to make sure I'm paying for the deluxe with the extras listed.
There's two versions on Steam. In the UK the deluxe edition is £5 more. That said someone was saying that M&M6 was missing.

Finally got round to playing this more, and for some reason in the starting town, I get a yellow light as well as a soundbit "Something is following" when stood near Catarina? Is it just finding something outside as it's such a small area that it stays yellow?

robin2

No, if you get it on steam, you DL the game/updates via steam, which means that it's much faster, and you also don't have the issue of Uplay periodically erasing your saves for the lulz.
Thanks. If I'll bite I'll do it on Steam then.

There was an issue with the Deluxe version not getting extras but i can confirm that the Steam Deluxe version has MMVI in it as i downloaded it today. However, i can't see where the soundtrack is so that will probably be added in later on.

garath

Yes. Beat the lighthouse. I opted to do the thieves den first and I gained quite a few levels through that. Got all my active schools of magic to expert and picked up a few new spells. Lighting was key. It is a lot of damage for low mana and wasn't resisted at all. Was a wildly different fight with me in the drivers seat the entire time. Regeneration was huge as well.

Now I'm starting to feel stronger. So much fun.

rybrad

You don't need the flute to progress deeper into Sudgerd. I finished it wihout using Flute - well, I tried but I couldn't get the tone right. I think it's for some optional quest but I never found out for which one :)
Hmm must be missing something I will look around in there some more. I was pretty tired last night when I got there. Thanks for the heads up.

I found the flute in
The Tower of Enigma
, which is in the vicinity of Karthhal
Thanks for the info! I already finished the tower so I will head back there and poke around some more later.

WanderingWind

That feeling when you kill a high level mob with scraps of life left.
That feeling when the mob was hiding the same exact mob behind him.

Then that feeling when you kill that bastard too.

MMX is such a great game.

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
Over the last decade or so, I found myself becoming more and more jaded with new video games, or so I thought. Then, every once in a while a game like this one comes along and reminds me that I'm not jaded, it's more that the industry really did go to shit because they stopped making games like this. I imagine if, instead of all the standard, homogenized, 3rd person dude bro cover shooters, developers actually released more games like this one, I would be one happy gamer. That will probably never happen though, the most I can wish for is that this game does well and gets a sequel with the same old school principles, i.e. No quest indicator, tough as nails, no hand holding, tough riddles and puzzles, etc...

Top Bottom