• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Might & Magic X Legacy |OT| From Corak and Sheltem to Enroth and Erathia

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
That feeling when you kill a high level mob with scraps of life left.
That feeling when the mob was hiding the same exact mob behind him.

Then that feeling when you kill that bastard too.

MMX is such a great game.

Haha are you referring to the goblin/wolf/mauler mob that you encounter in the yon-chall forest? That exact feeling happened to me there...

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Tips? If I had to build my party again I wouldn't take a pure tank. Sure, lots of HP and blocking are nice, but I still think the mixed classes have more utility. I'd go with 2 pure casters and 2 mixed.

I'm still only around level 10 with my characters, but the taunt ability just seems way too unreliable to be useful. Without a reliable taunt, it's hard to justify bringing a tank along.

I used the default party, so right now my main tank and the ranger lady with earth magic are kind of just baggage from a damage output perspective.

Durante

Which stat is used for the "gear" secret doors? The other two are obvious, but for this one I'm guessing perception?

Arkeus

Which stat is used for the "gear" secret doors? The other two are obvious, but for this one I'm guessing perception?
Yeah. If you lack perception (as it's a stat that is kinda on the backburner), you might want to get Eagle Eye (expert Air spell) and Hour of Power to increase it.

desverger

Yep, you are guessing right.

Wow, where did most of today go. I've had a couple of breaks but I'm enjoying this game immensely.

My party is doing well and I'm finding every class still usable. Even my Defender is still a key character in the party, since I leveled up his perception and he can actually hit something now with his taunt.

I've thought a little about the stat distributions. The way I'm doing it is that every character has a primary, secondary and a tertiary attribute. I try to keep the secondary about 75% of the primary and the tertiary around 50% of the primary attribute. The way I've sorted the attributes is like this:

Bladedancer: Destiny, Perception, Might - High evasion, high crit, and a good chance to hit with multiple attacks.
Defender: Might, Vitality, Perception - High melee damage and can soak damage as well. Perception is needed to hit with Challenge. Doesn't rely on crits.
Freemage: Magic, Destiny, Spirit - High magic damage and the ability to crit, with some evasion ability. Now that I've got a decent focus, he doesn't need to cast every turn and can get by with a smaller mana pool.
Runepriest: Spirit, Vitality, Magic - Huge mana pool and the ability to heal a lot. Occasionally I'm leveling a dash of Might and Perception as well.

Btw, that crypt near the castle:
I found a relic there. Some monk boots that seem to get evasion on level up. Not sure if it's guaranteed to get a relic there or that it's always the same one, but that's what I got.

Aaron

Good video of this game in action? The trailer doesn't show enough, and none of the vg sites I check know it exists.

Moff

I think its perception, yes

I'm not sure about the defender
I'm in act 3 now and dont really have problems (even ventured into a difficult area where I wasnt supposed to go yet, steamrolling through the easier area right now)
he certainly doesnt do a lot for the group, he needs a ton of perception so that his taunts always hit, sometimes enemies are immune to taunt.
his damage isnt all too bad though. I wouldnt say I regret taking him right now, with his endgame abilities (AOE taunt and 100%hit and crit strike) I guess he will be more useful.

I dont know how long ago I played the same game for a whole sunday by the way, great pacing and world building, always something new you want to do or go to and still quite diverese for a simple dungeon crawler

Durante

I think its perception, yes

I'm not sure about the defender
I'm in act 3 now and dont really have problems (even ventured into a difficult area where I wasnt supposed to go yet, steamrolling through the easier area right now)
he certainly doesnt do a lot for the group, he needs a ton of perception so that his taunts always hit, sometimes enemies are immune to taunt.
his damage isnt all too bad though. I wouldnt say I regret taking him right now, with his endgame abilities (AOE taunt and 100%hit and crit strike) I guess he will be more useful.
Yeah, I think part of my issue is specing too much into vitality and might on the defender, and not enough onto perception. I'll try to rectify that. Still would much rather have another caster along.

I dont know how long ago I played the same game for a whole sunday by the way, great pacing and world building, always something new you want to do or go to and still quite diverese for a simple dungeon crawler
Same here.

The incline for this game @ RPGCodex is a sight to behold.

The official thread will pass the official Shadowrun one in a matter of hours (150 pages).

Also close to 8k people playing on Steam ATM.

I am giggling like a school girl that people around the world are playing an denjoying a M&M title in 2014.

desverger

The official thread will pass the official Shadowrun one in a matter of hours (150 pages).

I am giggling like a school girl that people around the world are playing an denjoying a M&M title in 2014.

All I hope for is more games like this one :p

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper

The resurgence of the cRPG is just the best thing ever.

Probably missing something incredibly obvious but what is this smuggler's coffer and why won't the icon disappear from the screen?

SMTIV was pretty great as well despite similar budget issues. That's somewhat in the same genre right?

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Everything poisons me in this game, jeez lol.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
i might have to double dip before i even have the game. i ordered the boxed version from Europe but i might have to buy it off Uplay if i succumb. M&M is one of my favorite series and every indicator that this game is an instant classic is there. It has both the Codex and GAFs approval which is happens almost never.

Durante

I was considering double dipping on Steam (in addition to my physical/uplay copy) just to write a review and post screenshots to the community page of the game.

I have resisted that level of frivolous spending. For now.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Probably missing something incredibly obvious but what is this smuggler's coffer and why won't the icon disappear from the screen?

It's a quest item. That spot on the screen will show quest items that are attached to a quest in the area you're in, or the quest you're on, I forget which one exactly.

Zafir

What's a good way to make the Freemage survive a little better? I've been using Celestial Armor on my Crusader as a shield as well as using Challenge to try and stop her, and my Druid from getting one shot, but my Crusader doesn't exactly have limitless mana so I end up having to chug mana potions quite a bit to keep it up through tougher fights. It's fine for the moment, as I have crazy amounts of potions, but I foresee that not being the case as I get further in.

epmode

Alright, I rerolled my party. Again. Defender was kind of pointless so I'm now running with a crusader which I plan to focus into an ultra-tanky healer. I have a bladedancer for pure melee damage.

Anyway, my crusader is already an expert in light magic but I'm not sure where to go next.

I guess I could go into heavy armor but that mostly reduces the attack power penalty inherent in heavy armor. Since I'm not focusing on melee damage, I think I can hold off for a while. The shield skill doesn't seem all that useful aside from allowing me to equip better shields.. There's also endurance (do I really need that on a crusader?), warfare (may not be useful unless I focus on melee), mysticism (the boost to the mana pool seems like a good idea) and arcane discipline.

Any ideas?

What's a good way to make the Freemage survive a little better? I've been using Celestial Armor on my Crusader as a shield as well as using Challenge to try and stop her, and my Druid from getting one shot, but my Crusader doesn't exactly have limitless mana so I end up having to chug mana potions quite a bit to keep it up through tougher fights. It's fine for the moment, as I have crazy amounts of potions, but I foresee that not being the case as I get further in.
I'm using a few other buffs. There is a Dark magic spell that will help you evade attacks and an Earth magic spell that will increase the party's defense.

Have both of your mages have celestial armor. Have your healer cast it every turn, if it runs out of mana, let the other mage cast it while the healer chugs a potion. Make sure other people besides your healer can get rid of status effects.

garath

Alright, I rerolled my party. Again. Defender was kind of pointless so I'm now running with a crusader which I plan to focus into an ultra-tanky healer. I have a bladedancer for pure melee damage.

Anyway, my crusader is already an expert in light magic but I'm not sure where to go next.

I guess I could go into heavy armor but that mostly reduces the attack power penalty inherent in heavy armor. Since I'm not focusing on melee damage, I think I can hold off for a while. The shield skill doesn't seem all that useful aside from allowing me to equip better shields.. There's also endurance (do I really need that on a crusader?), warfare (may not be useful unless I focus on melee), mysticism (the boost to the mana pool seems like a good idea) and arcane discipline.

Any ideas?

Master shield appears to be very useful. I have been putting some points into sword as well since her abilities depend on hitting in a lot of cases. I feel like warfare will be useful for the extra mana.

So far my crusader does decent damage and has expert light. Useful

Arkeus

Any ideas?

Depends how much Tankiness you want to go with. If you want to focus on Tankiness over damage, Arcane Discipline and Endurance seems like good choices (as well as Heavy Armor for wearing better ones). Shield is actually quite good even if you only just want Tankiness, as the multiple blocking attempts and higher blocking % are very useful.

If you want your character to be able to do more than survive and heal, you should improve his Sword and Shield ASAP, as this way you can just block and retaliate on the enemies' turn, and in your turn you either heal/celestial armor or intercept other enemy's attack (Warfare Master).

Zafir

I'm using a few other buffs. There is a Dark magic spell that will help you evade attacks and an Earth magic spell that will increase the party's defense.

I have the Dark Magic spell actually, but that doesn't always help against enemy's who do a couple of attacks in the same turn.
Have both of your mages have celestial armor. Have your healer cast it every turn, if it runs out of mana, let the other mage cast it while the healer chugs a potion. Make sure other people besides your healer can get rid of status effects.
Hmm, that makes sense, thanks.

I have the Dark Magic spell actually, but that doesn't always help against enemy's who do a couple of attacks in the same turn.
Its biggest use is making Celestial Shield last longer. I'm using Stone Skin(?) and Regeneration for surviving the rounds where I need to chug a potion.

epmode

Depends how much Tankiness you want to go with.

I'm thinking I want the crusader to be my primary healer or very nearly the primary (I also have a rune priest). It should be useful to have a healer that just won't die but that means I'll have to focus more on the mana pool at the expense of melee. I'm not sure if it's worth putting skill points into mysticism for the mana boost or if I should just pump the spirit attribute.

Hybrid classes are tough. Especially when I'm not sure how many levels I'll have by the end of the game. The lack of respawning enemies isn't helping either!

naib

Quick dumb question: I'm hitting the naga tower thing right after the spider dungeon. Should I be depositing the flowers first? I'm getting my ass kicked by those nagas. Furthest I've gotten is level 3.
Am I barking up the wrong tree?

BTW, this is what I wanted Grimrock to be. I'm a very happy camper.
Isn't this game going to be moddable?

epmode

Quick dumb question: I'm hitting the naga tower thing right after the spider dungeon. Should I be depositing the flowers first? I'm getting my as kicked by those nagas. Furthest I've gotten is level 3.

Do the Den of Thieves quest first. The higher floors in that lighthouse are crazy.

Quick dumb question: I'm hitting the naga tower thing right after the spider dungeon. Should I be depositing the flowers first? I'm getting my as kicked by those nagas. Furthest I've gotten is level 3.

BTW, this is what I wanted Grimrock to be. I'm a very happy camper.
Isn't this game going to be moddable?

The thieves den quest is easier than the naga quest. so you could go do that.

Gothos

I'm thinking I want the crusader to be my primary healer or very nearly the primary (I also have a rune priest). It should be useful to have a healer that just won't die but that means I'll have to focus more on the mana pool at the expense of melee. I'm not sure if it's worth putting skill points into mysticism for the mana boost or if I should just pump the spirit attribute.

Hybrid classes are tough. Especially when I'm not sure how many levels I'll have by the end of the game. The lack of respawning enemies isn't helping either!

I finished the game with my chars on lvl31 and I felt a liitle bit overlevelled (for about 2 levels).

Invest into vitality for your mage/druid. They NEED to be able to take a hit or two. Celestial Armor won't always be available. Also, always wear armor in all the slots. It's numbers game in the end so every bit helps.

Zafir

What the other's said. I did the first two floors of the Lighthouse, then did the Den of Thieves, and then went back to the Lighthouse. Floor 3 was still a pain, but much more manageable.

Had to laugh on the boss though. I didn't realise you could get knocked off the edge, so I just stood there waiting for the boss to come towards me, and I fell to my death, haha. Good job there was a save before it!

D_Generate87

Neo Member
Here's my protip for the boss of the lighthouse:

Do not have a character, such as a blade master, use dual wielding expert level+ daggers. 4 hits can easily equal 4 misses which makes his vindicator buff annihilate you.

I had tried the boss at an earlier level and figured I'd come back to him later after the Den of Thieves, well I had leveled up my dagger guy to Expert during that time and when I came back I was disappointed to find out that I was getting killed even quicker than before.

So yea, I had my blade master defend the whole fight and it was much easier.

Really hope a performance patch comes out sometimes soon. Have a GTX670 and I53570K which aren't top of the line but I feel they should be running this at a steady 60 FPS without issues. The odd thing is there really seems to be no rhyme or reason to the bits where it drops into the 40s, except dusk which seems to be resource intensive for some reason. And the built-in AA doesn't really seem to be very good, but I don't want to downsample either because of the performance. Having a really good time though.

dejan

Had to laugh on the boss though. I didn't realise you could get knocked off the edge, so I just stood there waiting for the boss to come towards me, and I fell to my death, haha. Good job there was a save before it!
I tried to knock enemies off the ledge before with the Gust of Wind spell and it didn't work (didn't expect it to). Fought my way up to the boss and his first attack knocked me off the lighthouse. I thought that was funny.

Never played these games (watched someone play dungeon master as a kid). I'm guessing this is a good a game as any to jump in if I want to try out one of these?

You are using FXAA1a right? Most of the options range from bad to terrible, but that one is quite alright (as far as PPAA goes).

Is that better than FXAA3? Haven't seen AA listed in such a way in any other game. One more graphical question, can one increase the draw distance further than the max in the game settings? Every time I work I can see additional detail loading in which is kind of annoying.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
The technical issues are really starting to bother me.

Sound dying out, weird performance drops, environmental assets not loading, weird flickering, etc. etc.

Really unfortunate.

Zafir

I tried to knock enemies off the ledge before with the Gust of Wind spell and it didn't work (didn't expect it to). Fought my way up to the boss and his first attack knocked me off the lighthouse. I thought that was funny.
Yeah, I'd tried the same on the middle bit of one of the floors.

Just at the castle now, and the music keeps overlapping for me. Re-loading hasn't fixed it either. :X
Never played these games (watched someone play dungeon master as a kid). I'm guessing this is a good a game as any to jump in if I want to try out one of these?
I hadn't played any of the Might & Magic games before due to not being a PC gamer back then, and I'm doing well and enjoying it, so I'd definitely say so.

Durante

I was just ambushed by some Black Guards and mages, and totally wiped. Just when I was getting comfortable -- and almost a bit complacent with -- my party's combat performance.

Is that better than FXAA3?
Very much so.
One more graphical question, can one increase the draw distance further than the max in the game settings? Every time I work I can see additional detail loading in which is kind of annoying.
I don't know, but I'd also like to know. I'd dig into it more graphically if I didn't have such a damn good time playing.

Absolutely. It has all the old school charm with a really good and modern interface.

Durante

might-and-magic-x-legcrstf.png

I was really happy to have unlimited mapnotes and a keyboard to quickly enter them with in this one!
The 2 unreachable map squares are driving me nuts though.

So is this a good game?
No, it's a great game.

Top Bottom