• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Might & Magic X Legacy |OT| From Corak and Sheltem to Enroth and Erathia

Durante

What is the purpose of rings and amulets with no skill modifiers? For example, I just picked up a "Wizard's Amulet" which doesn't seem to do anything. Can you imbue them with magic or something of that nature?
I think they are just harder-to-carry gold.

Well, it essentially is GFWL though, and if Ubisoft shuts it down then we have the same problem.
For a purely single-player game like this, if that occurs, the problem essentially amounts to spending 1 minute downloading and running a crack.

kazebyaka

Banned
I'm enjoying the game, but it's very annoying that you can't buy more than 10 bottles from one merchant, and there's no fast travel. I'm on 3rd level of a castle dungeon and i'm all out of resources, now i have to back track just to resupply. And that's like 10 minutes or more, fuuuuck.
Also, the game is a technical abomination, it should have been delayed for a year.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I'm enjoying the game, but it's very annoying that you can't buy more than 10 bottles from one merchant and there's no fast travel. I'm on 3rd level of castle dungeon and i'm all out of resources, now i have to back track just to resupply. And that's like 10 minutes or more, fuuuuck.

Thank god for potion limits and no fast travel. Those are two very big reasons why the game is awesome.

I'm enjoying the game, but it's very annoying that you can't buy more than 10 bottles from one merchant and there's no fast travel. I'm on 3rd level of castle dungeon and i'm all out of resources, now i have to back track just to resupply. And that's like 10 minutes or more, fuuuuck.

Upgrades will come as the game progresses.
At least in the beginning of Chapter 2, the innkeeper at the new town you visit (Seahaven) will let you stock up to 13 supplies.

~Kinggi~

Banned
I think they are just harder-to-carry gold.

For a purely single-player game like this, if that occurs, the problem essentially amounts to spending 1 minute downloading and running a crack.

Im hoping when the GFWL games go offline that fans step in and unleash loads of cracks to make the single player playable.

Durante

It's not awesome, it's an example of old school game making and it's old for a reason, it's just not good and it's nothing more than a waste of time.
No, it's an important part of the game design. Resource management while dungeon diving or exploring is a significant component of what you do in these games.

Oh, and there are fast travel options where they make sense (e.g. between the cities from the start, and more later).

garath

It's not awesome, it's an example of old school game making and it's old for a reason, it's just not good and it's nothing more than a waste of time.

Its part of the game design. In a modern RPG you have very little in the way of resource management. Who cares if you run out of potions if you can just fast travel to and from town. M&M reintroduces that resource management. Conservation of supplies and not spending points or money friviously is a big part of the game.

Gothos

And there is a teleport skill (requires master Dark magic afair) that lets you set a waypoint and return to it at will.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper

Others have said it, but I'll reiterate. Too much ease of access to healing potions and fast travel have a direct and immediate impact on challenge. You don't need to worry about tactics if you can just swig pot after pot, then magically teleport back to town when you're out. It affects game design from the bottom up and has little to nothing to do with it being in place just because it's old.

And yet, there is a way to earn a sort of fast travel. You can hire carriages and ships and such.

On a seperate note (since everyone seems to be active in the thread at the moment), where do you guys find all those Relics in the game (not counting the ones Ubisoft gives you for being such an awesome consumer) ?

I'm in the beginning of Chapter 2, and
I've only found the one pair of Holy Boots (with the +Evade and +Magic stats) from the mysterious crypt near the castle where you save the Governer.
I've read in the thread that some have obtained them from boss kills and quests but I have yet to find one that gives me relics. I pretty much explored the whole area near Sorpigal too (not including the 2 dangerous caves which pretty much one shot my team of course.)

Carm

According to Steam, I've played 36 hours, in that time I've had 3 crashes.

First crash: Almost positive it was a handshake error between Uplay and the game.
Second Crash: Wasn't sure what caused this till the third one.
Third Crash: Got the crash tone, alt tabbed out, to a pop up asking to hit OK to send it to, I guess, Ubisoft. Before I did that though, I pulled up the Task Manager. The damn game was using 3.5 gigs of memory. So I'm guessing it's an out of memory thing, I've been playing since this morning.

Don't think I've ever seen a game besides maybe when I modded Fallout 3 that got anywhere near 3.5 gigs.

As for the game, I'm into Act 3 now, though I didn't know it till about 10 minutes ago when I looked on the item screen. I was wondering why Act 2 felt so long, apparently I finished it awhile ago. Would be nice to have the game give an indication on Act change, same thing happened with 1.

I have a hireling I picked up in the second city for a quest and I still haven't figured out where I drop this sucker off at, though with 10% extra exp, I'm not really minding.

Is there a level cap in the game?

And where the hell is the Two-Hand Weapon Master trainer at? The lists I see floating around say the second city garrison but nothing was there.

Durante

On a seperate note (since everyone seems to be active in the thread at the moment), where do you guys find all those Relics in the game (not counting the ones Ubisoft gives you for being such an awesome consumer) ?
I got some relics from boss kills, some from mysterious crypts and some from being good at Rayman Legends. Though honestly, all the ones I have so far aren't really that much better than normal magic items.

I just did the cartographer quest. Entering text into a game while studying my cloth map made my weekend. Party like it's 1995!

epmode

Oh god, no one on the entire internet knows if the Lost Lambs quest changes if you let them live. I'd normally leave them alone but it's hard to turn down all that XP in a game that doesn't have respawning enemies.

Oh god, no one on the entire internet knows if the Lost Lambs quest changes if you let them live. I'd normally leave them alone but it's hard to turn down all that XP in a game that doesn't have respawning enemies.

Net experience gain from the quest giver, rewards and items obtained by letting them all live is greater than killing them all combined. Muahahahahah. Just kidding, even I don't know whether thats the case.

Gyoru

I let them all live.
Nothing changes in the end - Kill them all even if letting them live is "the right thing" to do.

Durante

I'll probably be able to tell you... in a week or so :p

I still feel better after letting Luke live. Seemed like a nice enough guy.

Moff

I dont think its that big a deal
fast travel is very frowned upon by some, especially when it comes at no cost at all like in the latest elder scroll games.
I really like the idea that you have to go back to a merchant to get more supplies, I think its very immersive and gives more weight and credibility to the world.
not everyone needs to like this, thats clear, but this is definifitely a game thats aimed at old school gamers who want to play an old school game, so I think they made the right decision.

Shaldome

Crypts always have a relic in them. Other than that you find them in small side dungeons which are located all over the place. Some have only a boss in them and others have a small group of normal/elite monsters in them. You must have the water and air blessing from the shards you find to reach all of them.

On another note I forgot a part an the lost ruins and man, fuck this
Crystal Spider
. Felt good beating it finally.

Zafir

I don't think travelling is too much of an issue since the map isn't massive like Elder Scrolls. I've not really had to go back for supplies mid dungeon yet, usually if I do go back it's because my bags keep filling up thanks to the crazy amount of no stat items that fill your inventory, and I don't really want to chuck them away because it's money.

Edit: Anyone else having the issue of sometimes getting stuck on the spot and being unable to do anything? Had it happen so much, have to reload to fix it.

Durante

Edit: Anyone else having the issue of sometimes getting stuck on the spot and being unable to do anything? My usually reloading my autosave fixes it, but this time my autosave file is stuck on the spot too...
What happened to me once id that I got stuck and couldn't move, but could still cast all spells or perform other actions. I saved on a new file and loaded and that fixed it.

Generally, I hit the quicksave key every 2 minutes in a game like this :p

Could someone who is better at math tell me what the 16:10 equivalent to 3200x1800 would be? My monitor doesn't seem to like 3840x2400 so I have to go below. Have frames to spare with 2880x1800.

Durante

Could someone who is better at math tell me what the 16:10 equivalent to 3200x1800 would be? My monitor doesn't seem to like 3840x2400 so I have to go below. Have frames to spare with 2880x1800.
Come on, you should be able to do that one in your head, it's such a nice number :p

3200 = 1600*2 = 16*200
10*200 = 2000

Edit: but writing it down clearly takes too long!

Come on, you should be able to do that one in your head, it's such a nice number :p

3200 = 1600*2 = 16*200
10*200 = 2000

Edit: but writing it down clearly takes too long!

Thanks, I was just overthinking the scaling(and subsequently doing it completely wrong).

V_Arnold

16*10 -> 160*100 -> 1600*1000 -> 3200*2000

Edit: That is what I get for trying to reply a rfew minutes too late o_O

Zafir

What happened to me once id that I got stuck and couldn't move, but could still cast all spells or perform other actions. I saved on a new file and loaded and that fixed it.

Generally, I hit the quicksave key every 2 minutes in a game like this :p
I reloaded that autosave again and it didn't do it the second time, very odd. I did actually have a save not far back so it wouldn't have been too much of a pain to go back. I always create saves outside of auto save every so often because I don't trust it. :p

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Is the monsters/shop respawning schedule the same as the old games?

The relics are usually in tombs. You usually have to solve a puzzle of some kind like teleporters or pressure plates. I've found 3. A shield, boots, and boots. One pair of boots leveled and eventually got really good. The shield was good right away compared to what else I had and then it got even better.

I just beat the
Earth Elemental Guy Grawlock I think? I went to Seahaven I explored the forests and got to Desolate Wild the Naveu plains and I can't seem to progress past. I get stuck by enemies in the Sewer near the plains when I cross the bridge near the obelisk that you can see thats across from where you fast travel, I cant beat the Ghosts yet, the Cyclops, The dragon, The Martyaxwar, The brigands that you can see near some sort of cage?

Anyways things I wish they did. After awhile told you what quest you should be doing. I'm sorta just fumbling around this huge world trying to figure out what part I can go to next where the monsters don't smash my face in an instant. In fact traveling around to monsters revisiting them to see if I'm skilled up enough to beat them is taking a ton of hours away from the actual story that I would like to progress through. I guess I could start over on adventurer but I feel so invested in this one party (my third)

N I wish they had a notes system I could write in, how the hell am I supposed to remember which dude teaches me expert, master, whatever, grandmaster levels of all of those skills. I spent five minutes going to a dude turns out he taught Expert Sword not Master sword. FUUUUU. Or when you meet each person it could jot that down for you.

Technically the game has issues. Some enemies are getting like small pixels of neon colors in them that just look unnatural it first started in elemental forge with the ninja like dudes but now I'm starting to see them on natural enemies and enemies I've seen before like spiders. Oftentimes I have to hit commands more than once for the game to do the action.

I don't know if its not working or by design but.. so if I want to keep one spider at a distance I entangle it the other spider comes up to melee distance. Can i not entangle the far away one again so I can deal with the close spider with the other three players? Cause tab won't allow me to select the other spider. I dunno I feel more could have been done with the combat.

Oh and one more comment, I'm hitting print and it doesn't seem to be taking pictures. Is there a folder somewhere? Might & Magic X folder in my documents only seems to save the pictures of the save game screens. without HUD or anything.

Durante

Just played for a bit with Steam in-home streaming (lying in bed with my notebook). Works pretty well, had to switch to windowed mode though to get it to work (which I turned into borderless fullscreen using an external tool).

V_Arnold

Oh wow thanks. Did a hint give you that info? seems pretty hidden if you are new (like me)

Not really, I am just hyperactive with clicking, I guess. I did not know it was there and suddenly the game offered me to leave the note. Do not remember if this was in previous games, years pass fast for such details :p

spiritfox

You can press J or the rightmost button on the bottom bar for your current quests. They normally lists the general area it's at.

LOL I ran into a bug at the Karthal slums where one if the barrel spiders pushed me (and him!) to the other side of the map.

You can press J or the rightmost button on the bottom bar for your current quests. They normally lists the general area it's at.

LOL I ran into a bug at the Karthal slums where one if the barrel spiders pushed me (and him!) to the other side of the map.

Yea I see the areas, but maybe after a few hours of in game time passing it could add expected character levels, cause I have like 15 quests open now and not sure which ones I can or cannot progress on.

spiritfox

Yea I see the areas, but maybe after a few hours of in game time passing it could add expected character levels, cause I have like 15 quests open now and not sure which ones I can or cannot progress on.

If you can reach the area, you should be able to do the quest. I haven't had any trouble with any quest so far.

Zafir

Has anyones Actions & Rewards disappeared for them? On Uplay the side menu option for the game is greyed out now?

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Man the boss on the 3rd floor of the lost city is absolutely wrecking me. I can't even get close enough to start fighting it and it refuses to move from where it's stand so I can't draw it into melee from around a corner.

Now that I think about it, I wonder if it's attacks would count as projectiles and not magic, if so that wind spell might help me.

kmfdmpig

I reloaded that autosave again and it didn't do it the second time, very odd. I did actually have a save not far back so it wouldn't have been too much of a pain to go back. I always create saves outside of auto save every so often because I don't trust it. :p

The getting stuck without being able to move glitch has happened to me a few times as well. It seems like even loading the save doesn't always fix it, so now I have been making sure to save to different files just in case.

Some minor exploits:

Something I like doing right before a big fight (if I know about it in advance due to saving/loading) is to use all my remaining mana on buffs - celestial armor, destiny buff, might buff, armor buff, shadow cloak, even regeneration - and then camp to get back to full mana. Camping normally counts as one round, so all your buffs go down by one...but the process of camping creates an autosave, and if you load this autosave it will not deduct that round from the buffs, so you get the full duration and you're also at full health and mana.

In the process of doing this I discovered that when you interact with the viny rock to summon the earth golem boss, he's scripted to walk forward a step toward the party as he talks to you. Then when you end dialogue to fight him, he takes another step forward, giving you one space between you to fire spells at him or whatever before he gets up close and personal. But if you interact with the rock and hit 1 to end dialogue before he finishes that step, then he doesn't walk forward and you get two spaces to attack him with. If you hit the button too fast, you'll even bug out the game and he'll just stand there out of combat with you unable to attack him or do anything.

I was doing this because I found the fight with him really easy when I'm all buffed up, I have a lot of casters who can really hammer him down quickly, and the game rolls a different magic item every time you fight him. Just seeing what I can get from him. One time I got a nice spear that raised maximum health by 24, I probably should've kept that one...

waby

That Naga boss in the lighthouse lol FusRoDa on my face on the first try! /sad
I'm on Act 2, can't kill those wraiths in the floor below the griffins.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
That Naga boss in the lighthouse lol FusRoDa on my face on the first try! /sad
I'm on Act 2, can't kill those wraiths in the floor below the griffins.

yes that was unexpected...

i had trouble with the 2 elites and 2 regular nagas that rushed me at the same time.

Top Bottom