• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Might & Magic X Legacy |OT| From Corak and Sheltem to Enroth and Erathia

waby

yes that was unexpected...

i had trouble with the 2 elites and 2 regular nagas that rushed me at the same time.

My only problem was running out of mana points for my casters. I always go back to town and the peddler outside the castle to restock mana pots.

My team build is defender, barbarian, druid and mage, though that defender is kinda unreliable when provoking monsters/people. If it is not block the skill is missed kinda pissed on that scenario >.>

Corpekata

Banned
What's the blessing of Sylanna used for? The description isn't very helpful. Should I re-explore places I've already been?

It's only really used for areas in act 2 and beyond, so you don't need to re-explore. It just lets you go into foresty areas, when exploring you'll see green glowy tiles, walking into them makes the glow effect disappear.

It's only really used for areas in act 2 and beyond, so you don't need to re-explore. It just lets you go into foresty areas, when exploring you'll see green glowy tiles, walking into them makes the glow effect disappear.

Thanks!

That's actually pretty dumb. Since I couldn't even get to act 2 areas before this point, they might as well have given me nothing at all.

Cheech

Played this game 28 hours since last Monday when I installed the prerelease version.

I have a problem. Does help being snowed in, though.

Near the entrance to Scorpigal, right?

Still not done with Act 1. Game is huge.

No, the blessing I got says it lets me find paths through thickets, the area near Sorpigal looks like I need a walk on water blessing.

If I can use it in act 1, I would assume it's in the woods by the thieves' hideout, but I don't know.

I just got to the second town and fought with the game for like an hour as it kept crashing with random problems. To be fair, my computer is getting kind of old, but it didn't crash nearly as much before this town. Talk to people and there's no text in the box, and shortly after that there's a Visual Studio runtime error...enter a building and the game just crashes after it fades to black...it's constant.

epmode

So I think I ran into the bug that prevents you from taking a griffin to the Elemental Forge. I found the guy but the option to fly to the forge is grayed out.

According to a few people on the Steam and Ubisoft forums, this can happen if you played the early access version of the game but didn't properly delete all of your old save/config data. ..except I definitely did this before starting the full version of the game. I used the procedure documented here: https://mightandmagicx-legacy.ubi.c...view/technical-information#save-compatibility

I'm not really sure what to do now. Some people suggest redeeming a key in the Extras menu of the game. The only key I have is a Steam CD key. When I attempt to enter it, I alternately get a message saying that the key has already been used or the game says that I can't reach Ubisoft's servers. Uplay is fucking awful.

Please tell me that I missed something stupid.

KePoW

Banned
So I think I ran into the bug that prevents you from taking a griffin to the Elemental Forge. I found the guy but the option to fly to the forge is grayed out.

According to a few people on the Steam and Ubisoft forums, this can happen if you played the early access version of the game but didn't properly delete all of your old save/config data. ..except I definitely did this before starting the full version of the game. I used the procedure documented here: https://mightandmagicx-legacy.ubi.c...view/technical-information#save-compatibility

I'm not really sure what to do now. Some people suggest redeeming a key in the Extras menu of the game. The only key I have is a Steam CD key. When I attempt to enter it, I alternately get a message saying that the key has already been used or the game says that I can't reach Ubisoft's servers. Uplay is fucking awful.

Please tell me that I missed something stupid.

You're supposed to type in your code *in-game* menu. Not out in Uplay.

That fixes the specific issue for people.

epmode

You're talking about the Steam CD key, right? I tried entering that in the in-game Bonus Content menu earlier today. It said the key had already been redeemed.

When I try to type it in now, I get an error saying that Uplay servers cannot be found.

It also seems that I didn't get the Complete Act 1 Uplay action so I'm now short 10 Uplay points. The game DID give me a Uplay achievement for completing Act 1, though. (Achievements are different than Actions, and only Actions give Uplay points)

Uplay sucks.

EDIT: And after restarting my game about 10 times, the option to move to the forge worked properly. And the stupid Uplay actions and rewards are finally active on my account. Uplay still sucks.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
This is so good. I've played all day straight, it's pretty surreal that this even exists let alone so well executed. Ubi has earned my respect over the last few years, their big projects are interesting and they've let some brilliant smaller stuff like this and Gunslinger have a chance.

Moff

my defender has earned his place at last, ravaging ghouls kill my whole party in 2 rounds, but can only scratch him, he can take out infinite amounts of them with the whole reest of the party dead, incredible

RVinP

Unconfirmed Member
I have never played Might and Magic games before, but I have played a game which looked similar to this called Demise. How deep (in content, mechanics and exploration) is Might and Magic X Legacy compared to the later?

Durante

my defender has earned his place at last, ravaging ghouls kill my whole party in 2 rounds, but can only scratch him, he can take out infinite amounts of them with the whole reest of the party dead, incredible
I'm also much happier with my Defender now. Put 2 levels worth of points in to perception, so he now hits much more reliably, which also makes aggro management much more reliable. Also got her a decent crossbow in order not to be completely useless at range. And got up to shield master which makes blocking much more likely.

But I think my biggest issue was lack of perception.

This is so good. I've played all day straight, it's pretty surreal that this even exists let alone so well executed. Ubi has earned my respect over the last few years, their big projects are interesting and they've let some brilliant smaller stuff like this and Gunslinger have a chance.
If you haven't, you should read up on the story of how the game came to be. It's pretty much thanks to one man.

Moff

I'm also much happier with my Defender now. Put 2 levels worth of points in to perception, so he now hits much more reliably, which also makes aggro management much more reliable. Also got her a decent crossbow in order not to be completely useless at range. And got up to shield master which makes blocking much more likely.

oh yeah, that one skill point is definitely worth it on melees, give them a ranged weapon, there are many situations where melee enemies come at you in a straight line and the melees can use their ranged weapons

Corpekata

Banned
So what's the deal with the shrines with like the dragon heads? They say like "on LORE DRAGON's day you'll be here blah blah." But I have no clue if that's just some quest thing, or if there's some way to tell when you can use them or what?

So what's the deal with the shrines with like the dragon heads? They say like "on LORE DRAGON's day you'll be here blah blah." But I have no clue if that's just some quest thing, or if there's some way to tell when you can use them or what?
You can see which weekday it is by hovering the mouse over the sun dial in the bottom right corner. I don't know the order of the days in the Might & Magic universe but I'm sure there is a lore book that could help you out with that.

Durante

I'm not sure myself, but I assumed those were weekdays. You can tell what day it is by mouse hovering over the day/night indicator in the lower right. Anyone know for certain?

Edit: Archnemesis, after this and the start of this page I have come to the conclusion that your name is well-chosen.

Victrix

*beard*
After playing this game for awhile, I'm really annoyed with the load times. On an SSD they're just painfully long, which makes exploring dangerous areas and reloading really unpleasant.

Are you using quicksave/quickload? Those aren't that bad for me. My only gripe is the poor graphical performance. I figured my computer (i7, 16 GB RAM, GTX 670 OC 4 GB, SSD) would be running it with all the settings maxed, but nope. I'm using no antialiasing and half of the settings are set to medium and I still get dips to 20 FPS. Maybe I should turn off the shadows completely.

Yeah, it is a miracle:

1) it got greenlit
2) it was not dumbed down to post-Oblivion audience
3) it is actually really fucking good
4) it is a M&M game "to the bone" with all pros and cons of M&M4-5

Have no idea what was the budget of this project ($1M? $2M?) but I pray to God they made some money on it and then some. Even $500k profit would give Ubi an idea to greenlit M&M11.

Knurek

Have no idea what was the budget of this project ($1M? $2M?) but I pray to God they made some money on it and then some. Even $500k profit would give Ubi an idea to greenlit M&M11.

Today's peak on Steam is around 8000 concurrent players, so I'd say it had at least 50k units sold so far, which would give Ubi roughly $1,500,000 of revenue.

Pretty sure it has already made profit for them is what I'm saying. Would it be enough to greenlight M&M11? One can only hope (please stick with grid movements if so, please).

Moff

but not all players are on steam, right?
I got the retail and play only on uplay, and I guess you can buy it directly from uplay as well.

Durante

Are you using quicksave/quickload? Those aren't that bad for me. My only gripe is the poor graphical performance. I figured my computer (i7, 16 GB RAM, GTX 670 OC 4 GB, SSD) would be running it with all the settings maxed, but nope. I'm using no antialiasing and half of the settings are set to medium and I still get dips to 20 FPS. Maybe I should turn off the shadows completely.
That's very strange. My 660ti should be slower than your card, and at everything maxed at 2560x1440 +FXAA1a the lowest dips I get are around 35, with normal framerates at 45+. It does have a few short (streaming?) dips while traversing the overworld, but nothing really bothersome.

Yeah, it is a miracle:

1) it got greenlit
2) it was not dumbed down to post-Oblivion audience
3) it is actually really fucking good
4) it is a M&M game "to the bone" with all pros and cons of M&M4-5

It's not just a miracle that randomly happened, it's in no small part due to the persistence of one man (Julien Pirou).

Julien Pirou, creative designer on Might & Magic X Legacy, is an interesting guy. I've been at Gamescom for almost an hour, and all the people I've talked with are community managers, PR people, business people or fans. They're all nice people, they all know Might & Magic, and they can all provide a general overview of Might & Magic X Legacy, how it came to be, and how work is progressing... just like I can, because I've been following the development myself. Only when I meet Pirou do I finally get a sense of what the game is really all about. Pirou is a red-haired, red-bearded, geek-with-glasses kind of guy. A man of average height, he has a round face and a tendency to look at the floor during conversation. The conversation I have with him is slow to start, as I ask questions and he answers them in a reserved manner. But when we start to discuss Might & Magic, everything changes. Passion practically bursts out of the man, and in between anecdotal stories of his time with Isles of Terra, World of Xeen and Might & Magic VI to VIII, he laughs and jokes, emerging from his shell as a light-hearted and outgoing individual. Pirou can speak endlessly about World of Xeen or any other Might & Magic game, taking delight in remembering and discussing every little secret and every little nook and cranny of their worlds. A pleasant shadow of the past glides over his face whenever the conversation topic wanders back to the older games.

[...]

“How did Ubisoft come to produce a blobber with turn-based combat and grid-based movement?” That is my first question for anyone I meet from both Limbic and Ubisoft. Pirou himself is modest. “Well,” he starts, “I guess it was a question of the right place and the right time.” Stephan Winter, managing director at Limbic Entertainment, and one hell of a nice guy, is less humble on Pirou's behalf: “Basically,” Winter begins, “like so many companies, Ubisoft has this system where you can pitch your funky stuff internally, to encourage people to be creative and come up with original ideas. So anyone can make a draft for a project they'd like, and perhaps Ubisoft will fund it. Usually you make the draft, you pitch it, and you hope for a yes. Otherwise, you find something else to pitch next time or you just take a break. Anything else would be fruitless.” Winter laughs as he recalls the anecdote and continues: “Not so with Julien. He pitched that thing for 3 years straight.” Again he laughs. “Finally, I think the guys at Ubisoft just said “ah, fuck this, just give the man his project already.” Winter's eyes twinkle as he tells the story. It's a landmark tale for the guys at Limbic, considering that they are now working on what some would have called an impossible game.

Source

Question, when you are first given access to the elemental forge, is that the beginning of Act 2? Because I got some sort of UPlay "act 1 complete" achievement at that point, but other than that there's no other clue that anything special happened, the game itself hasn't mentioned it and aside from being able to take the griffin there the world hasn't suddenly opened up or anything.

Moff

Question, when you are first given access to the elemental forge, is that the beginning of Act 2? Because I got some sort of UPlay "act 1 complete" achievement at that point, but other than that there's no other clue that anything special happened, the game itself hasn't mentioned it and aside from being able to take the griffin there the world hasn't suddenly opened up or anything.

thats right, shortly before you head to the elemental forge, act 1 is finished

That's very strange. My 660ti should be slower than your card, and at everything maxed at 2560x1440 +FXAA1a the lowest dips I get are around 35, with normal framerates at 45+. It does have a few short (streaming?) dips while traversing the overworld, but nothing really bothersome.
Most of the time I'm at 60 which is fine, but whenever I run into a large group of enemies it sharply goes down to 25-45. The only two things I have on the highest settings are textures and animation.

It's become obvious that hirelings can be pretty amazing in this game.

I just got to the second town and I feel lucky that I came straight here as soon as it was open without fighting anything, because you get a dude who increases all XP gains by 10%. Since there's a quest associated with him and I'm sure he'll leave when I finish it, I guess I'll just put it off as long as possible!

I heard elsewhere that there's a hireling who increases the amount of gold and magic items you find? Where is that person? I want them as soon as possible.

Actually, is there is a list somewhere of all hirelings?

Moff

the hireling who gives you a ressurrection and a full group heal once a day has saved my ass countless times, I dont see why I should ever replace her. she's in
seahaven in the church

epmode

thats right, shortly before you head to the elemental forge, act 1 is finished

It's a little strange that Act 2 throws you right into another dungeon before the rest of the world opens up. Unless my game is still bugged, the guy at the bridge to Seahaven is still blocking the path and I can't find any other way across the river. Guess I have to continue the forge tonight. I need some master trainers already!

Durante

Yeah, there's a nice variety of really useful hirelings. I have a hard time choosing.
Surprisingly, the uplay point hireling actually sucks. Subtle stab by Limbic at the concept? :p

I'll repost this for the new page, since I think people should have a chance to read about the guy who (partially) made this possible:
Julien Pirou, creative designer on Might & Magic X Legacy, is an interesting guy. I've been at Gamescom for almost an hour, and all the people I've talked with are community managers, PR people, business people or fans. They're all nice people, they all know Might & Magic, and they can all provide a general overview of Might & Magic X Legacy, how it came to be, and how work is progressing... just like I can, because I've been following the development myself. Only when I meet Pirou do I finally get a sense of what the game is really all about. Pirou is a red-haired, red-bearded, geek-with-glasses kind of guy. A man of average height, he has a round face and a tendency to look at the floor during conversation. The conversation I have with him is slow to start, as I ask questions and he answers them in a reserved manner. But when we start to discuss Might & Magic, everything changes. Passion practically bursts out of the man, and in between anecdotal stories of his time with Isles of Terra, World of Xeen and Might & Magic VI to VIII, he laughs and jokes, emerging from his shell as a light-hearted and outgoing individual. Pirou can speak endlessly about World of Xeen or any other Might & Magic game, taking delight in remembering and discussing every little secret and every little nook and cranny of their worlds. A pleasant shadow of the past glides over his face whenever the conversation topic wanders back to the older games.

[...]

“How did Ubisoft come to produce a blobber with turn-based combat and grid-based movement?” That is my first question for anyone I meet from both Limbic and Ubisoft. Pirou himself is modest. “Well,” he starts, “I guess it was a question of the right place and the right time.” Stephan Winter, managing director at Limbic Entertainment, and one hell of a nice guy, is less humble on Pirou's behalf: “Basically,” Winter begins, “like so many companies, Ubisoft has this system where you can pitch your funky stuff internally, to encourage people to be creative and come up with original ideas. So anyone can make a draft for a project they'd like, and perhaps Ubisoft will fund it. Usually you make the draft, you pitch it, and you hope for a yes. Otherwise, you find something else to pitch next time or you just take a break. Anything else would be fruitless.” Winter laughs as he recalls the anecdote and continues: “Not so with Julien. He pitched that thing for 3 years straight.” Again he laughs. “Finally, I think the guys at Ubisoft just said “ah, fuck this, just give the man his project already.” Winter's eyes twinkle as he tells the story. It's a landmark tale for the guys at Limbic, considering that they are now working on what some would have called an impossible game.

Source

Zafir

It's a little strange that Act 2 throws you right into another dungeon before the rest of the world opens up. Unless my game is still bugged, the guy at the bridge to Seahaven is still blocking the path and I can't find any other way across the river. Guess I have to continue the forge tonight.
You do need to do the forge yeah. Well some of it till the quest you have completes, can't do all.

Moff

It's a little strange that Act 2 throws you right into another dungeon before the rest of the world opens up. Unless my game is still bugged, the guy at the bridge to Seahaven is still blocking the path and I can't find any other way across the river. Guess I have to continue the forge tonight. I need some master trainers already!

there is a guy blocking the bridge? I didnt even know that, and its also kind of strange, considering what you get in the forge

Durante

Yeah, I don't really get why they don't open up the bridge immediately after Act 1. The "tutorial" is over, let people kill themselves if they want to :p

But at least it opens up greatly after that.

kazebyaka

Banned
Completed elemental forge, got the blessing from a stone/tree dude, now i have a quest "search for kilburn" and i need to go to the forest or something. How do i get there? I ran all over the place, and i see no exit. Maybe i need to go where specters live? But they are too strong for me. The guard on a bridge is still standing there.

Durante

Completed elemental forge, got the blessing from a stone/tree dude, now i have a quest "search for kilburn" and i need to go to the forest or something. How do i get there? The guard on a bridge is still standing there.
He shouldn't be. Did you enter your product key in the "extra" menu in the game?

Completed elemental forge, got the blessing from a stone/tree dude, now i have a quest "search for kilburn" and i need to go to the forest or something. How do i get there? I ran all over the place, and i see no exit. Maybe i need to go where specters live? But they are too strong for me. The guard on a bridge is still standing there.
Maybe you need to visit the castle in between? I'm pretty sure the guy guarding the bridge moved after I had completed the elemental forge.

epmode

I get the feeling that this game cannot be played from start to finish without being online at several checkpoints. That, coupled with Ubisoft's unreliable Uplay connection, could be a problem in the future.

I thought I was in the clear after the griffin quest worked. I hope that I don't get stuck at the bridge guy after the forge.

Durante

it only asks me to redeem a code for some helmet and that's it.
You can still enter your game code in it. I agree it's a bit counter-intuitive.

But I'm not sure if that's the cause of your problem. It's usually the reason why people don't get the option to use the gryphon (particularly if they were playing the prerelease),

Moff

anyone got the dlc dungeon yet? where do you enter the code and where is the dungeon? do you get a quest for it?

epmode

I think it's unlocked by entering the game code on the extras screen.

Not to be a jerk but which code are you talking about? Are there multiple codes in the retail version? My Steam Deluxe Edition only came with a single CD key and nothing else.

Zafir

Not to be a jerk but which code are you talking about? Are there multiple codes in the retail version? My Steam Deluxe Edition only came with a single CD key and nothing else.
There's only one code for X and one for VI in the retail edition. So yes your X key.

Kinda wish it was on iOS to be honest (I know it is impossible because the game needs beef requirements).

Sitting at work and not being able to play it because the game is at home is just ugh.

Top Bottom