• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Might & Magic X Legacy |OT| From Corak and Sheltem to Enroth and Erathia

spiritfox

Where can you find the password for Skull Rock? I don't feel like searching aimlessly for something I might have missed early on.

Or you can just tell me what it is, I don't mind.

Yeah in general I don't get this code entry thing.

When I first booted up the game I put in my CD key as Steam gave it to me. Then at the main menu there's an extra content thing that talks about a helmet, and I put my key in there and it doesn't accept it. In Uplay itself there's an "unlock content" button that asks for a CD key and again it doesn't accept my key, it actually says the key is in use with another Uplay account! Surely it just means the key has already been used once, with my own account?

For the record my game is fine, I'm not being prevented from doing anything, it's just weird that there are all these places to put in your key and none of them do anything.

epmode

When I first booted up the game I put in my CD key as Steam gave it to me. Then at the main menu there's an extra content thing that talks about a helmet, and I put my key in there and it doesn't accept it. In Uplay itself there's an "unlock content" button that asks for a CD key and again it doesn't accept my key, it actually says the key is in use with another Uplay account! Surely it just means the key has already been used once, with my own account?

The same exact error appears for me when I try to enter the CD key into Uplay itself. If I enter it in the in-game Extras menu, I get a message saying that I've already used the key. I assume this is normal, I'm just trying to collect information for others that may run into the bugged Act 2 transition.

Durante

Sitting at work and not being able to play it because the game is at home is just ugh.
Use Steam in-home streaming in a virtual private network :p

(Just joking, but I was actually thinking about that for a second)

Not to be a jerk but which code are you talking about? Are there multiple codes in the retail version? My Steam Deluxe Edition only came with a single CD key and nothing else.
Yeah, the CD key. When I entered it for the first time in the game it said something about unlocking extras.

I don't think I can play this game anymore. I think it's killing my video card. :(

Just had a thing where the whole left side of the screen was single pixel vertical color stripes, but the right side of the screen was fine. I could move the mouse pointer over the top of the pixel band too so it wasn't my monitor.

Before I got to act 2 I couldn't play the game for more than 1-2 hours at a time without it crashing. Now I'm lucky to get in 20 minutes without something crazy happening.

I go into a shop and the shopkeeper's textures are all corrupted and multicolored. I talk to somebody and there's no text in the text box and the game crashes shortly thereafter. I see particles in the distance that haven't loaded right and are just huge pink squares flying all over the sky.

One time I went to load my game and the menu was full of bizarre stuff like {unlock content data} and the save and load buttons had other text pasted over the top of them. I hit escape and went to load again and it said "failed to retrieve save files." After that I went and backed up my saves immediately, they seem to be fine.

It's just completely destroying my computer.

Zafir

Well I thought it was only retail people who had early access whom needed to enter the code inside the game.

SLV

Any ideas what door the golden key is for, that you get in lost city level 2 after you kill the quest dude ?

EDIT: Nwm, found it !

garath

I can't stop playing. Wish I had more time. Only put in about 6 hours but that is like every second of gametime I had available this weekend. Even sneaking in 30 minutes in the morning while my wife was showering.

So much fun. I had forgotten how much I enjoyed the old M&M games. The antiquated interface and graphics of the old ones makes it very difficult to play them. M&M X is almost perfect in how they modernized the interface and graphics while keeping the gameplay roughly the same.

This is like the Mustang revival of 2005. Bring the classic to the new generation.

Just found the first crypt with a relic in it. Took me a minute to get the puzzle but ended up with some sweet boots. Now ready to face the castle. Love it.

I don't think I can play this game anymore. I think it's killing my video card. :(

My friend had a similar issue with Starbound. Couldn't play it because his cpu was overheating every time. We pulled open the machine and found about an inch of dust layered on the CPU fan. Cleaned that off and it's perfect now.

The other thing to check is your video card drivers. I had random pixelations and crashes on Assassin's creed 4 before I upgraded the video card drivers.

Are you overclocking anything? Something is definitely overheating.

Well, i'm going to drop my monitor down to 60hz from 120hz and enable VSync because i get coil whine from my GTX670 when i play this game. Only in the menus and loading screens but there's definitely something awry. Also, the textures go muddy at times.

Great game but with the usual dreadful Unity optimization. Thankfully that's the only issue i have and it's not killing my machine like UncleSporky's.

* crosses fingers

Cheech

Well, i'm going to drop my monitor down to 60hz from 120hz and enable VSync because i get coil whine from my GTX670 when i play this game.

You know, I've been building PCs for decades and had never heard of "coil whine" when it comes to video cards before. It seems to be a relatively new phenomena, at least.

I googled it, and it does seem that the GTX 670s, at least the reference boards, are known for that problem. If it's still under warranty, I'd exchange it.

Are you overclocking anything? Something is definitely overheating.

My friend had a similar issue with Starbound. Couldn't play it because his cpu was overheating every time. We pulled open the machine and found about an inch of dust layered on the CPU fan. Cleaned that off and it's perfect now.

The other thing to check is your video card drivers. I had random pixelations and crashes on Assassin's creed 4 before I upgraded the video card drivers.

Well to be honest it's probably my own fault. My computer is average circa 2008. Just a Core 2 Duo, 2 gigs of RAM, Radeon HD4850 (512 MB).

However, Skyrim runs perfectly fine on this computer at full 1920x1080 and looks great. It started crashing a while back, I ran some temperature tests and discovered my computer was overheating, so I bought some better fans and that took care of the issue.

I've played Fallout 3, New Vegas, Arkham Asylum, Oblivion, Skyrim on this computer and all of them have run awesome at medium to high settings. Might and Magic X must just be a total hog.

You know, I've been building PCs for decades and had never heard of "coil whine" when it comes to video cards before. It seems to be a relatively new phenomena, at least.

I googled it, and it does seem that the GTX 670s, at least the reference boards, are known for that problem. If it's still under warranty, I'd exchange it.

I'd not heard of it in relation to PCs before but it's a high pitched squeal when the card is under load. I'm going to cross my fingers, open the case and clean out any dust or whatever and hope it helps.

AkuMifune

Banned
Monday. Work. Hungover and still numb. 20 hours put in over the weekend, not all good news. Started over after 12 hours at the end of Act II when I realized how shitty my party was. I had wasted skill points, the relics I had found didn't match party specs, and a Ranger and a Mercenary in the same party was dragging me down. Finally back to Act III and really kicking ass. Runepriests are godly. Fire and Light are both really strong schools of magic, and they can be Grandmasters of both. My Ranger is still the weakest link, but now that I mastered bow and got a good one he's finally holding his own, but it was a long time coming.

Finally, beacons. Yes!

Has anyone done the uplay dungeon? Think I'll do that first tonight.

Work is my rehab, can't wait to relapse!

Cheech

Well to be honest it's probably my own fault. My computer is average circa 2008. Just a Core 2 Duo, 2 gigs of RAM, Radeon HD4850 (512 MB).

Yeah, I can see you having a rough time with that build. I have an i5-760/8 gigs/GTX 760, and with everything turned up I get some pretty serious frame rate drops in specific areas of the overworld. It's generally smooth, though.

I wonder if MMX's engine is more CPU or GPU bound. Given the graphics I'm gonna guess CPU, but who knows.

Monday. Work. Hungover and still numb. 20 hours put in over the weekend, not all good news. Started over after 12 hours at the end of Act II when I realized how shitty my party was. I had wasted skill points, the relics I had found didn't match party specs, and a Ranger and a Mercenary in the same party was dragging me down. Finally back to Act III and really kicking ass. Runepriests are godly. Fire and Light are both really strong schools of magic, and they can be Grandmasters of both. My Ranger is still the weakest link, but now that I mastered bow and got a good one he's finally holding his own, but it was a long time coming.

Finally, beacons. Yes!

Has anyone done the uplay dungeon? Think I'll do that first tonight.

Work is my rehab, can't wait to relapse!

So does range eventually not suck? I'm planning to try all hybrids after I get done with my 4-mages game but I was going to just make the ranger use daggers and earth magic and the scout use axes.

I agree on the runepriests, btw. Mine is probably my favorite character (him or the druid, which is also awesome). I think my favorite magic schools are light, earth, and fire, and he can max all 3 of them.

My only problem with him is that he runs out of mana faster than everyone else in the party. Fire spells are pretty costly, and celestial armor isn't super cheap. I think I've probably fed him as many potions as my other 3 guys combined, but the fire damage is great!

AkuMifune

Banned
So does range eventually not suck? I'm planning to try all hybrids after I get done with my 4-mages game but I was going to just make the ranger use daggers and earth magic and the scout use axes.

I agree on the runepriests, btw. Mine is probably my favorite character (him or the druid, which is also awesome). I think my favorite magic schools are light, earth, and fire, and he can max all 3 of them.

My only problem with him is that he runs out of mana faster than everyone else in the party. Fire spells are pretty costly, and celestial armor isn't super cheap. I think I've probably fed him as many potions as my other 3 guys combined, but the fire damage is great!

Yeah, eventually ranger does get legit (more than I expected based on other peoples initial reports), but even still he does far more damage in melee combat, dual wielding an awesome sword and dagger. He certainly is the best I have against mages and and targets without armor. I hope grandmaster bow opens up something! The Runepriest after building up his Spirit is finally he's able to cast more than a few spells before running dry, but mana is certainly his weak point. For a bit he was my main damage dealer and my main healer and I wondered why I had anyone else, but further training made the other magic users much more useful.

I thought some of the classes were nerfed at first, but now I'm sure any party combination will work as long as you know how to spec and play them correctly, but it's certainly possible to screw it up by misusing skill points and what not.

Bloody hell, the difficulty hump in the game after act 2 opens up is quite insane.

Went to the
Old City for the main quest. Did okay in the first two floors and took down the boss. Went to the third floor. Got wiped instantly by the first enemy encounter. WTF.

Also, what is up with the The Crag being an absolute nightmare to reach at lower levels. Those desert Orcs don't play around and can easily take down your party really quickly, plus they have buttload of HP. It's quite a pain since the master trainers for quite a few magic types are in that town, and by that point in the game, your starting Novice damage spells are not very effective anymore; you end up spending wayy to much mana just trying to damage enemies.

Once you get there, train up to Master and gain those sweet Master level spells from the shop, you're over the hump. Monsters that were giving you a hard time become much more manageable all of a sudden and die much faster.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Bloody hell, the difficulty hump in the game after act 2 opens up is quite insane.

Went to the
Old City for the main quest. Did okay in the first two floors and took down the boss. Went to the third floor. Got wiped instantly by the first enemy encounter. WTF.

The old city goes 1 -> 2 -> 4 -> 3, with the 3rd floor being something you do much much later. I just cleared it out and my guys are level 27.

Sinatar

I wish I had a runepriest instead of my defender. But at least the latter is hitting stuff now.

It's crazy how durable heavy armor guys are. I'm fighting enemies now that do 4 - 5 attacks a round with each hit doing 70 - 100 damage. When they land on my crusader its 4 - 5 hits of 1, 1, 3, 2. It's crazy, he's basically indestructible to physical damage. I imagine defenders are even crazier.

Durante

It's crazy how durable heavy armor guys are. I'm fighting enemies now that do 4 - 5 attacks a round with each hit doing 70 - 100 damage. When they land on my crusader its 4 - 5 hits of 1, 1, 3, 2. It's crazy, he's basically indestructible to physical damage. I imagine defenders are even crazier.
Yeah, this is true. My defender basically just blocks, the huge HP pool is mostly for show :p (and spells). Still, the damage output compared to a pure mage is quite pitiful, and to really benefit you first have to get the enemies to hit your defender (and not use AoE abilities). But at least the aggro management works a lot better now that I have a much higher chance of actually hitting stuff.

Amadeusz

Neo Member
There IS something definitely screwed up with the game when it comes to overheating certain GPUs - my GTX670 heats to 80C after 20 mins of FurMark burning test (maximum load), it doesn't go over 75C under normal circumstances, but in M&M X it NEARLY INSTANTLY goes up to 87-88C, even with V-Sync turned on, under certain circumstances.

The weird thing is, the overheating occurs only in non-interactable interiors, like taverns etc - outside the game runs just fine.

That's pretty annoying but I still enjoy the game so far.

The weird thing is, the overheating occurs only in non-interactable interiors, like taverns etc - outside the game runs just fine.

Interiors are where my game crashes the most, like I said - people with messed up textures or no text in text boxes or just crashing when it fades in/out.

Gothos

There IS something definitely screwed up with the game when it comes to overheating certain GPUs - my GTX670 heats to 80C after 20 mins of FurMark burning test (maximum load), it doesn't go over 75C under normal circumstances, but in M&M X it NEARLY INSTANTLY goes up to 87-88C, even with V-Sync turned on, under certain circumstances.

That's pretty annoying but I still enjoy the game so far.

You can lower the maximum fps in options. Set it to 40 and see if it helps. It's not like you need 60 for a blobber :p I've been playing with 40fps for the whole second part of the game and didn't notice any difference between 60 and 40.

Durante

This always sounds bad, but just for the record, when any software can overheat or damage your hardware it's your setup that's at fault, not the software. I said the same thing back with the Starcraft 2 menu screen "problem", and many other titles before that.

However, if it's really the case that your hardware gets unstable when used to full capacity then the idea of setting a lower framerate limit is a good one. Alternatively, you could try cleaning your fans or underclocking.

jimboton

I've just realized there's no way to have use a two handed sword in this game while 'grandmastering' either two handed weapon or sword skills. In fact the only class who can even use a 2-handed sword is the mercenary class. So my question is, can a 2-handed sword be found in this game that's so OP that it can by itself make a mercenary build (which doesn't have any grandmaster weapon skills) be worth it? :p

Please spoil the details if you think you know the answer.

ys45

Just finished ACT2 , is it me or there is no 1h Axe at all in this game ? my Dwarf defender is stuck with a 1h I got from the smith in the first village so her dmg are a joke.
Actually There is not much weapons I found in chest so far... am I the only one having this issue ?

Sinatar

I've just realized there's no way to have use a two handed sword in this game while 'grandmastering' either two handed weapon or sword skills. In fact the only class who can even use a 2-handed sword is the mercenary class. So my question is, can a 2-handed sword be found in this game that's so OP that it can by itself make a mercenary build (which doesn't have any grandmaster weapon skills) be worth it? :p

Please spoil the details if you think you know the answer.

The reward for finding the naga's sword (the dude you rescue in the lighthouse) is a real nice 2h sword relic. I have nobody to level it up so I don't know how crazy it is exactly.

I'm pretty sure Merc not being able to GM any weapons was a mistake on their part, every class has 4 GM skills except for the mercenary who only has 3. I wouldn't be surprised if that gets patched.

rybrad

Put 34 hours into this since it launched so far and have finished up act 3 plus all side quests except one. I am loving the game and have been doing everything I can find content-wise. It has been really nice playing a game that doesn't handhold you with quest markers non-stop.

Does anyone who finished have an estimate on how long act 4 took?

I'm pretty sure Merc not being able to GM any weapons was a mistake on their part, every class has 4 GM skills except for the mercenary who only has 3. I wouldn't be surprised if that gets patched.

But the merc also has the highest number of skills of any class in the game, being able to master every weapon and armor type. That's probably their rationalization, "look, you have so many options with this well-rounded character! Master both swords and axes and switch off!"

AkuMifune

Banned
But the merc also has the highest number of skills of any class in the game, being able to master every weapon and armor type. That's probably their rationalization, "look, you have so many options with this well-rounded character! Master both swords and axes and switch off!"

It does help if you get the odd OP relic no one else can use, but yeah. Odd.

Only 3 hours of work left. I'm having withdrawal, hearing the sound effects during everyday work.

Sinatar

Which is why the Merc is by a giant gaping margin the worst class in the game. Truly awful.

In fact looking at the merc's skill list again, I fully believe you are intended to master 2 different weapons and dual wield them.

Which is why the Merc is by a giant gaping margin the worst class in the game. Truly awful.

Yeah, I'm not saying it's good. :p

Well, they could make an alright tank class I think! Only one of 2 classes than can GM warfare, and I do love warfare. I think I like it more than most magic schools.

Durante

screenshot_2014-01-27dvsyi.jpg

Is there an organization that can help people like me? I think I have a buffing problem.

Just finished ACT2 , is it me or there is no 1h Axe at all in this game ? my Dwarf defender is stuck with a 1h I got from the smith in the first village so her dmg are a joke.
Actually There is not much weapons I found in chest so far... am I the only one having this issue ?
I had the same problem, but only during act 1. At the start of Act 2 I bought a nice axe at the smith in Seahaven.

garath

So is the chef really worth it? 3% of my monies does not sound appealing. How big of a buff is Well rested?

I liked having the scout woman from the Thieves Den quest, didn't have to keep my whisper buff up the entire time.

AkuMifune

Banned
Is there an organization that can help people like me? I think I have a buffing problem..

I'm bad, but not that bad! Not yet. But finding out yesterday that buffs are based on tile movement so I could get one tile away from whatever fight is coming, buff the crap out of my party, rest, quicksave and then step into battle = so awesome.

Is there an organization that can help people like me? I think I have a buffing problem.

T6LLPcn.png

I'm bad, but not that bad! Not yet. But finding out yesterday that buffs are based on tile movement so I could get one tile away from whatever fight is coming, buff the crap out of my party, rest, quicksave and then step into battle = so awesome.

Resting takes one round and thus reduces the buff timers by one, but it creates an autosave and if you load that autosave it will forget to deduct that round from you.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Steam isn't tracking this game very well. It says I had 8 hours yesterday, then 6, now back to 8. I've been playing nonstop. I have no idea how much I've played.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Steam being an enabler?

"no worries garath... it's fun! you don't really have a problem..."

It makes so much sense.

Shadow Dragons being weaker than Cyclops is pretty funny. Also, Durante, that healing bastard in your post there can go jump in a fire

rybrad

So is the chef really worth it? 3% of my monies does not sound appealing. How big of a buff is Well rested?

I liked having the scout woman from the Thieves Den quest, didn't have to keep my whisper buff up the entire time.
It is a great buff, I have used him the entire game. The 3% amounts to basically nothing as some later Hirelings ask for as high as 25%! Money isn't really an issue either, I have over 250k right now and I buy an upgrade whenever I see it.

It is a great buff, I have used him the entire game. The 3% amounts to basically nothing as some later Hirelings ask for as high as 25%! Money isn't really an issue either, I have over 250k right now and I buy an upgrade whenever I see it.

Does that mean you're not using both XP bonus hirelings?!

Unison

I am in Act II and am doing okay so far, but I feel like I should just start over before I hit the problems people running into in this thread. I have a Mercenary and a Ranger in my party, and they're definitely secondary to my two magic users (Runepriest/Druid).

What are good melee-based classes that I could use to replace them?

kazebyaka

Banned
This is why we can't have nice things

before a new dungeon i had to buy a shit ton of mana bottles, so i had to run between a potion seller and a traveling merchant several times. If the game was smarter, i could have just bought my stupid 50 bottles in one place. But hey, gotta waste that time somehow!

rybrad

Does that mean you're not using both XP bonus hirelings?!
Brace yourself, I am using neither anymore! Since my Rune Priest and Blade Dancer got their GM skills they have become god-tier and wreck everything so I no longer worry about XP.
I am in Act II and am doing okay so far, but I feel like I should just start over before I hit the problems people running into in this thread. I have a Mercenary and a Ranger in my party, and they're definitely secondary to my two magic users (Runepriest/Druid).

What are good melee-based classes that I could use to replace them?
I did Barb and Blade Dancer (and the same two casters as you) and my party absolutely stomps everything in my path.

Top Bottom