• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Might & Magic X Legacy |OT| From Corak and Sheltem to Enroth and Erathia

AzureSky

if you feel better starting over, do it.
It can be rewarding going through act1 again and feeling the difference of an optimized party.

garath

Ugh. I'm at the earth elemental in elemental forge and while I can kill him very easily, someone ALWAYS gets paralyzed :(

I guess I never bought burning determination either. I have one singular ring of prevent paralyzation. I need his attack to hit THAT person lol. I've retried the fight 3 times so far. I may have to just trek ALL the way back to town and buy that stupid spell. I can't bring myself to let one of my party miss the 300+ xp.

:(

Durante

Burning determination is essential in some fights. I now (after some bad experiences) always have a few scroll with me in addition to being able to cast the spell with one character, in case that one gets stunned in an ambush.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Well if you don't have burning determination there's always the water spell that cures it or Dispel Magic in primordial.

hurricanepilot

Neo Member
Couple of questions:

I'm probably being dumb, but is there any way to look at the character skill sheets when not in the process of adding points to them? It's getting to the point where I'm leveling up different characters at different times and making a decision about unlocking a skill (especially magical schools) is one that would be a lot easier if I could look at what schools the other characters have unlocked. I know I should remember this, but there are too many.

Second question is should I be being selective/careful about stat upgrades? I'm just adding them to those stats that affect what I'm currently doing (e.g. predominantly adding to might, perception and vitality for the orc barbarian). Should I be thinking ahead at this point in time - not very far in, just piddling about outside of the first town trying to level up enough to take out the wanker on top of the lighthouse.

garath

Well if you don't have burning determination there's always the water spell that cures it or Dispel Magic in primordial.

Ooh.. Dispel Magic.. I MIGHT have that spell or maybe a scroll.. That could get me through the fight without treking back to town. I'll have to check. Thanks :)

Couple of questions:

I'm probably being dumb, but is there any way to look at the character skill sheets when not in the process of adding points to them? It's getting to the point where I'm leveling up different characters at different times and making a decision about unlocking a skill (especially magical schools) is one that would be a lot easier if I could look at what schools the other characters have unlocked. I know I should remember this, but there are too many.

Second question is should I be being selective/careful about stat upgrades? I'm just adding them to those stats that affect what I'm currently doing (e.g. predominantly adding to might, perception and vitality for the orc barbarian). Should I be thinking ahead at this point in time - not very far in, just piddling about outside of the first town trying to level up enough to take out the wanker on top of the lighthouse.

G opens up the skill sheet for the selected character as I recall.

I've primarily been focusing on a few important stats for my characters. Like my Bladedancer gets 1-2 points in perception, destiny and might. Every couple levels I'll throw a point into vitality as well. My casters get 1 point of vitality every level, the rest goes into Magic and spirit. My crusader is the hardest one. She got some points in perception and might early to give her a good fighting base, now she primarily gets vitality with a little spirit and destiny. Spirit is vital for her since she's my main celestial armor caster while my freemage and runepriest hammer the enemies with offensive spells.

Arkeus

Ugh. I'm at the earth elemental in elemental forge and while I can kill him very easily, someone ALWAYS gets paralyzed :(

I guess I never bought burning determination either. I have one singular ring of prevent paralyzation. I need his attack to hit THAT person lol. I've retried the fight 3 times so far. I may have to just trek ALL the way back to town and buy that stupid spell. I can't bring myself to let one of my party miss the 300+ xp.

:(

Pretty sure there is a Handplaced Burning Determination scroll just before that boss. It's in the room where you can see a chest right in the middle of it on a stone dais (i think?). It should be just to the left of where you met that elf.

Durante

Couple of questions:

Either open the spell/skillbook and use the tab to navigate or press G directly.

One error quite a few people seem to make (including me at first) is focusing too much on might and vitality on tanks, at the expense of perception. You are then in danger of hitting a point where you miss and/or are blocked all the time. Perception is also nice to have for some secondary crossbow/bow action so that tanks aren't totally useless at range.

I found leveling casters much simpler stat-wise. Pump Magic and put as much into Spirit as you need. Not much can go wrong there.

Sinatar

I took a pretty bland approach to my stats.

Crusader: 2 str, 1 per, 1 vit
Bladedancer: 1 str, 1 per, 1 dest, 1 vit
Freemage/Runepriest: 2 magic, 1 spi, 1 vit

Worked out well, my party was completely ridiculous at the end of the game.

Arkeus

I found leveling casters much simpler stat-wise. Pump Magic and put as much into Spirit as you need. Not much can go wrong there.

I may have levelled quite a lot of destiny with my MF GM Freemage. She currently has ~40% chance to crit and something like +100% DMG on critical.

This makes for lolworthy Air magic.

OTOH, it appears that dual-wielding wands at MF GM only gets you the +400% boost for one wand. I wonder if it's a bug.

garath

Pretty sure there is a Handplaced Burning Determination scroll just before that boss. It's in the room where you can see a chest right in the middle of it on a stone dais (i think?). It should be just to the left of where you met that elf.

Hmmmmm.. I must have grabbed it. I've cleared as much as I could of that dungeon before getting to the boss. I'll make a second pass at my inventory.

I couldn't play last night because the game suddenly started just giving me a black screen when I started the game. This is after 10+ hours of gameplay. I even uninstalled and reinstalled (hopefully I found the right directory for save games which I've copied away) and still nothing. This morning I found this thread though:

http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/827768-Might-and-Magic-X-Legacy-cant-launch-black-screen?

Looks like my exact problem and solution. Going to try it over lunch and make sure it works. I'm going to be so sad if I can't play the game anymore.

So, random aside, but I have become absolutely obsessed with M&M10, and was wondering if anyone could suggest any other vaguely contemporary games like it? I haven't played six, which I own, and hear it is incredible. Does its age come with any obtuse mechanics or issues?

I know Grimrock exists, but i'm not a fan of real-time in games like this, so I suppose I should clarify my question by asking for turn-based recommendations like Legacy.

Thanks!

Wizardry series is the most well known.

Etrian Odyssey doesn't have the ranged combat but is turned base.

My freaking crusader keep missing and hes got about the same perception as my Defender i seriously regret choosing a crusader .
As for my defender, shes lvl 19 and got 300ish hp and has 75 + % of block chance she never died once since i started the game and hit a lot compared to the crusader.

Don't take 2 tanks next time.

So, random aside, but I have become absolutely obsessed with M&M10, and was wondering if anyone could suggest any other vaguely contemporary games like it? I haven't played six, which I own, and hear it is incredible. Does its age come with any obtuse mechanics or issues?

I know Grimrock exists, but i'm not a fan of real-time in games like this, so I suppose I should clarify my question by asking for turn-based recommendations like Legacy.

Thanks!

It's old but look at Wizardry 8.

ys45

My freaking crusader keep missing and hes got about the same perception as my Defender i seriously regret choosing a crusader .
As for my defender, shes lvl 19 and got 300ish hp and has 75 + % of block chance she never died once since i started the game and hit a lot compared to the crusader.

Sinatar

Thanks!

Might & Magic 6 has aged very well, it's very very playable. Wizardry 8 would be another good one to try.

birdchili

rps nailed it really... horrible by so-many measures: graphics are bland and often bad, music generic, lore uninteresting and possibly written by machine... but hey look at that gameplay! party building choices, risk/reward exploration, and a neat collection of skills for combat decently balanced, challenging and very more-ish. i'm playing every night.

in a way, the bog-standard fantasy tropes are nicely familiar, but i'd love something like this with more compelling places and lore... possibly toning back the number of npcs and ideally blurring the town/dungeon pacing lines a bit...

* cynical orc female somehow gets better and better the more her lines repeat. complaints about game audio do not apply to cynical orc female.

AkuMifune

Banned
I was half-asleep in bed this morning and thought about checking the clock but I didn't want to waste a turn.

Right at the last dungeon, level 31 Ranger, Freemage (Air and Dark), RunePriest (Fire and Light) and Druid (Earth and Water). They're all godly now but I did have to restart and focus on only two skills per character at first, make sure they're always great at something. I've died maybe twice this run. Of course, it could be all the relics. ;) Disappointed in the Grandmaster spells. The Fire one is useful, the rest really are not.

Can any class Grandmaster crossbow? I want to have four crossbow grandmasters and just be an arrow machine.

spiritfox

Thanks!

Etrian Odyssey!

Well it's my suggestion for everything, but it makes sense this time. It's much less open world but the dungeons well designed, the battle system is fantastic, and the atmosphere is amazing for a handheld game. Don't let the character design turn you off, inside is a dungeon crawler that's as tough as they come, and a fitting homage to the Wizardry series.

There's also Dark Spire on the DS if you want something more traditional. Same concept, but less lolis.

SorchaR

I was half-asleep in bed this morning and thought about checking the clock but I didn't want to waste a turn.

Right at the last dungeon, level 31 Ranger, Freemage (Air and Dark), RunePriest (Fire and Light) and Druid (Earth and Water). They're all godly now but I did have to restart and focus on only two skills per character at first, make sure they're always great at something. I've died maybe twice this run. Of course, it could be all the relics. ;) Disappointed in the Grandmaster spells. The Fire one is useful, the rest really are not.

Can any class Grandmaster crossbow? I want to have four crossbow grandmasters and just be an arrow machine.

The Scout can GM crossbow. They can GM axes as well, and master duel wielding. They get master fire and light as well which gets you celestial shield, burning determination, resurrect and a heal... looks pretty awesome actually!

AkuMifune

Banned
The Scout can GM crossbow. They can GM axes as well, and master duel wielding. They get master fire and light as well which gets you celestial shield, burning determination, resurrect and a heal... looks pretty awesome actually!

My four scout party on warrior starts tonight after this run. I doubt I'll finish it again, but fun to see how far I get!

spiritfox

My four scout party on warrior starts tonight after this run. I doubt I'll finish it again, but fun to see how far I get!

Scouts are pretty awesome. They can dual wield or shield, plus they have access to good offensive and defensive magic schools. You can pretty much build 4 different types of Scouts and make a balanced party this way.

SorchaR

That should work pretty well actually, since they get a nice mix of range, melee and spells, all you are missing is the identify spell. let us know how you get on!

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
RPS reviewer is new to the series? I thought that was the point of RPS, that they've got people there who're dyed in the wool PC people who remember playing stuff like M&M.

Finally finished it. Had only one quest left to turn in at the end, which was the Bestiary one. Also missing one book (the nine book quest) somehow. There are also still some blanks to be filled in the bestiary though. I could've sworn that I've explored the whole world already.
After all that buildup, what a completely underwhelming final boss fight lol. Guess being decked out helped a lot.

Killed Erebos in 2 encounters.

Finished him with a Paladin, Blademaster, Archmage (Prime and Air GM) and Druid Elder (Water and Earth GM) team. All were level 32 at the end.

It was nice that they showed you the consequences of your actions that you've made vis a vis the quests throughout the game.

Durante

RPS reviewer is new to the series? I thought that was the point of RPS, that they've got people there who're dyed in the wool PC people who remember playing stuff like M&M.
Actually, I realized a while ago that most of the staff at RPS didn't play many of the less-known 90s PC greats. /hipster gamer

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper

Hey, this is my first M&M too and I'm a reviewer person. A lot of games have come out and time is finite.

So far....

Hey, this is my first M&M too and I'm a reviewer person. A lot of games have come out and time is finite.

So far....

*raises hand* Same here mate, this is my first playthrough of a "proper" M&M game.

I actually got acquianted with the series/franchise itself from playing the Heroes games lol. HOMM2 was my buzz back in the day.

32167 for life. Warlocks are the best class bar none. That is all.

WanderingWind

*raises hand* Same here mate, this is my first playthrough of a "proper" M&M game.

I actually got acquianted with the series/franchise itself from playing the Heroes games lol. HOMM2 was my buzz back in the day.

32167 for life. Warlocks are the best class bar none. That is all.

See, when I heard that Might & Magic was returning, I thought it was another Heroes game. Full disclosure, I fucking hate HOMM. Hate hate hate hate hate hate HOMM.

But this is an amazing game. I love it to tiny little anger filled pieces of love.

Jag

I remember seeing someone post where all the trainers are. Was that in this thread? Does someone know where that information is?

WanderingWind

WanderingWind, which publication are you reviewing the game for?

Stars and Stripes. I'm doing what I can to take ownership of the games and electronic section. Everybody is busy doing all kinds of important reporting and I love video games, so I'm more than happy to do it.

WanderingWind

Wow, You're the first person, i've seen that doesnt like HoMM.

Yeah, I realize it's beloved. I do love strategy games, but that flavor of them just bores the tears out of me and then those tears go sign up to be tax preparers in order to lead a more exciting life.

vocab

Kings bounty and homm are alright but they suffer from too Fucking long syndrome. Also being anything but magic is awful in kb.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Wait.... Etrian Odyssey is similar to this game? Like the world to explore and everything? I bought that game on the e-shop blindly a month or so ago and haven't even tried it yet, really.

On topic, anyone know how many Obelisk are available in Act 1? Also, anyone know where you can pull up the riddle text in the log? I can't seem to find it anywhere.

marrec

Banned
Wait.... Etrian Odyssey is similar to this game? Like the world to explore and everything? I bought that game on the e-shop blindly a month or so ago and haven't even tried it yet, really.

On topic, anyone know how many Obelisk are available in Act 1? Also, anyone know where you can pull up the riddle text in the log? I can't seem to find it anywhere.

No no no, EO is much more akin to Eye of the Beholder in style... well, EO 1 and 2 are, I think 3 opens up a bit but I haven't played it yet.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.

Etrian Odyssey is very similar, but it shares more in common with early Wizardry/Bards Tale/Early M&M in that it's one big dungeon (with smaller overworlds in the later games, but that's just a small aside to get to the next big dungeon).

Also, you can't see the monsters in the dungeon, they just randomly happen. There are big "boss" monsters that walk around, but they are just represented by a glowing light.

I'd definitely recommend playing it if you liked M&M X. Personally, I really enjoyed it, but M&M X blows it's doors off in my opinion.

I'd recommend Wizardry 8 over EE. It's more along the lines of M&M X (you can see all the monsters in the world, and there is more of an open world feel to it). The combat in Wiz 8 is better than M&M X IMO, but it's much more drawn out and hardcore.

Sinatar

Etrian Oddyssey has the tile based movement and turn based combat, but no overworld to explore it's all one big dungeon.

As for obelisks I think there are 2 of them in act 1, you can access your clues by opening your journal and clicking on the key items tab.

Durante

My biggest issue with EE (which I enjoyed to some degree) is the random encounter system. I'm one of those who actually really likes the fact that monsters don't respawn in M&M X. It probably also makes balancing the game much easier.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
OK that sounds fine. I am right at the end of SMT4 and was trying to find out what to play next on 3DS. I have 4, btw.

I really am enjoying the shit out of this game. I love the exploration aspect. It kinda feels like I am playing Gothic 2, in that regard. Or Risen. It is something that Bethesda has really, really lost touch with. The first act is about as big as the opening little town of Skyrim yet it is packed with much more interesting things and more eventful encounters/items have been found then like my entire 30 hours with that game.

Speaking of, it would be great if these guys made a Fallout Equivalent RPG with this engine/design :eek:

kafiend

Book 8 of 9 (found right outside Sundgard) is bugged out, so that quest is unfinishable at the moment. :(

EDIT: I guess technically it's book 7 of 9 since it has the entry for M&M 7.

I got all 9 of those without picking up the bugged book out side Sudgard. The ninth book I found in the final dungeon and the quest is marked as return to the quest giver.

I am still missing 3 books of the total 39 according to book section of the journal.

Edit: I assume it's not a bug that I picked it up, noticed I had no info pop up so reloaded my quicksave prior to touching it.

The Inquisitor quest is bugged in a similar way in that if you reload a save and complete it a different way it ever so slightly effects what happens end game (in no meaningful way AT ALL before you check the spoiler) but...
you get info during the end sequence twice as if you had completed the quest in two different ways

Top Bottom