• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Might & Magic X Legacy |OT| From Corak and Sheltem to Enroth and Erathia

Raggie

So, random aside, but I have become absolutely obsessed with M&M10, and was wondering if anyone could suggest any other vaguely contemporary games like it? I haven't played six, which I own, and hear it is incredible. Does its age come with any obtuse mechanics or issues?

I played MM6 and World of Xeen (MM4-5) through a few years back. I think both are still very fine and insanely addictive games and have aged very well as soon as you get over the graphics, but to be perfectly honest I think Xeen is the better game. I know it looks very old but it's surprisingly newbie-friendly for such an old game. I didn't expect to care much for it myself and ended up dropping MM6 until I had finished Xeen. I was also playing Oblivion at the time and ended up having more fun with Xeen. I have played a lot of grid-based 1st person RPGs and I think World of Xeen is the best one.

Durante

Agreed. The idea that even the most minor battles permanently impact the world is really cool. I wouldn't be against some limited respawns, especially with some in-game dialogue explaining why it happened.
I think having (optionally destroyable) monster spawning locations (e.g. undead barrow, orc camp, elemental nexus, whatever) would be fine. I'd still put an absolute limit on those though, again to maintain some degree of balance. Or just let the rewards for the monsters decay with their spawn id -- very gamey, but it should work.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I think having (optionally destroyable) monster spawning locations (e.g. undead barrow, orc camp, elemental nexus, whatever) would be fine. I'd still put an absolute limit on those though, again to maintain some degree of balance. Or just let the rewards for the monsters decay with their spawn id -- very gamey, but it should work.

It would give anybody who spec'd completely wrong to be able to make up some ground, for sure. If you're new to this series, there is a lot of stuff you take on blind faith. Being able to adjust things you did before the game systems were made apparent and the level of challenge present seems an important outlet for people who may not follow game development very closely.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
As long as grinding is limited in a way that is transparent and fair. If you've played Fire Emblem: Awakening, you've seen how too much optional content to grind can destroy balance and ruin the late game.

I also have this game to play and holyfuckthatdifficultyspike D:

birdchili

something that i liked in Paper Sorcerer was that you start with the Sorcerer character, and get to play a bit, then add a second pc, then play some more, then add another pc... you get to kick the mechanics a bit and use your latter picks to fill-in perceived holes in your lineup. you also end up with a few more characters than a full party, so have the ability to swap them out...

i'm not sure that something exactly like that would work in this game, but based on the skills i have now, i definitely feel i could have designed my team to deal with the block mechanic better... you have to make a lot of calls during party creation without any real idea how the combat is going to play out...

Raggie

I have to link to this hilarious Let's Play for World of Xeen: http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/100992/let-s-play-world-of-xeen-part-16-wizards-and-werewolves

Seriously though, if you like MMX, you should try MM3-5, or Xeen at the very least. I got them as a part of a MM bundle and considered them a nice little extra that I fully expected to play for 5 minutes before getting bored/confused with the UI. World of Xeen is now one of my favorite RPGs, and that's without any childhood nostalgia. The UI is easy to figure out, and it's actually faster than the one in MMX once you familiarize yourself with it. You can get MM1-6 in a single package at GOG.

Some pointers for MM3-5:

-Start putting money on banks ASAP. It'll grow interest!

-EXP will not be the limiting factor on how high levels you can get, money is. Training gets increasingly expensive. Eventually you can't train further even though you have more than enough EXP. The game is balanced for this.

-Even though you can play the entire game using a mouse, keyboard is faster.

-The starting party is good enough for the entire game.

-Don't forget your game comes with a guide.

-Some monsters and items can age your character, and your character can die from old age. You can cure unnatural aging in certain points in the game.

-If you take a job, you'll age by a week. This is natural aging so there is no cure for it.

-In Xeen, click on the "Might and Magic" logo in the upper right corner. You'll get an automap.

-You can't see NPCs in the game world. You'll have to click/press spacebar on tables, benches, pedestals etc. to interact with NPCs. Not that NPC interaction really matters...

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Xeen (and 3 for that matter) are also great for scratching that OCD map filling itch. If you think filling in all the squares in X is great, Xeen lets you explore every single square on the map. You gain skills that let you traverse mountains, oceans and forests. Also instead of a small peninsula you get the explore the entire planet. Every. Square.

For fans of exploration there is literally nothing as good as World of Xeen. Nothing.

Gvaz

Banned
I think the biggest obstacle to me with older MM games is that they're all ugly as fuck, and I really can't deal with old graphics anymore.

Sinatar

Really? I think World of Xeen looks great. The sprite work on the monsters is incredibly charming.

mm51jy1.gif

woxp4.png

JyCkXNS.gif

Durante

I lost my classic M&M maps :(

Back to Legacy, I'm really surprised at how involved the promotion quest for the paladin is. An entire 2 floor dungeon and now I guess I have to find some thing somewhere in the world? Are all promotion quests that size?

Shaldome

Back to Legacy, I'm really surprised at how involved the promotion quest for the paladin is. An entire 2 floor dungeon and now I guess I have to find some thing somewhere in the world? Are all promotion quests that size?

You ave to run around the most for the Paladin Quest. For the others you have to enter a dungeon and get back to the quest giver. Thats for Archmage, Blade Master and Shield Guard. The other classes I don't know, but I read that you have to visit two dungoens for another class
flute and Sudgerd

At least you get the Paladin promotion after you finish the quest in the.

Arkeus

I have done three promotions quest so far- the Paladin one is arguably the least well done one, though i guess you need to get the gear parts first (i had already gotten all three shards a while ago though).

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Of course someone at work took my USB cable for my phone. Have to wait until it is back to put Xeen on my phone :/

Sinatar

Paladin is all contained in that one dungeon, if you cleared it and didn't get it then you missed something.

But yea, all the class promotion quests seem to have a dungeon to go with them, some more complex then others.

vocab

That's pretty ugly...lol. Now Kingdom of Kroz? That was a sexy dungeon crawler

How is that ugly? That's some fantastic sprite work for 1992

None of those links work. Sadly

I think the biggest obstacle to me with older MM games is that they're all ugly as fuck, and I really can't deal with old graphics anymore.

You can't even deal with modern graphics. If you cant comprise graphics for game play, pack it up.

AkuMifune

Banned
For what? I fought the earth elemental, and explored all of seaheaven, and the forests. After that everything kills me badly.

The toughest part of the game for me was right after fighting the Earth elemental, there was only a few places I could go, and I got rocked everywhere else. But once I found the right track I was alright. I think you need to go to
the lost city? From a cave in the woods. But there are a few things in there that will wreck you, especially on floor 3 (floor 4 is actually easier), so save often. But a couple of those are monsters that spring from traps. You need to find and fight a boss there before moving on IIRC.

vocab

The toughest part of the game for me was right after fighting the Earth elemental, there was only a few places I could go, and I got rocked everywhere else. But once I found the right track I was alright. I think you need to go to
the lost city? From a cave in the woods. But there are a few things in there that will wreck you, especially on floor 3 (floor 4 is actually easier), so save often. But a couple of those are monsters that spring from traps. You need to find and fight a boss there before moving on IIRC.

Only cave in the forest i can find is a dangerous cave with another thing that one shots me. I'm seriously at a dead end.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
For what? I fought the earth elemental, and explored all of seaheaven, and the forests. After that everything kills me badly.

Ahh I thought you had just started Act 2 :(

I remember someone mentioning a borderless window option for the game in the thread. Anyone know what it is?

Arkeus

Only cave in the forest i can find is a dangerous cave with another thing that one shots me. I'm seriously at a dead end.

It's a cave from a path that begins to the right of killburn's place (toward seahaven). Before the cave you'll get two ghouls (only place you'll find them) so you'll know it.

garath

Haha. I did end up having a burning determination scroll in my inventory. Smoked the earth elemental and looted that awesome chest. Only had a little time to play so just outside of the castle now. Man. I love this game.

I just had my third crash in nearly 40 hours of playing. :/ I can handle some jank but technical problems like this start getting under my skin.

Had around 4 crashes throughout my entire playthrough. Each time it happened the game just closed itself automatically and went back to desktop, except for that one time where it hardlocked my laptop and I had to do a forced shutdown using the power button. Not even a Windows Error Reporting dialog box popped up which is odd.

Found the dumps in the game's root directory. Seems like invalid memory accesses are causing the crashes each time.

Is there any way to regen mana or is it only rest or potions?

No other way afaik. There is a class tier bonus (GM Arcane Dicipline) that'll let you get back some mana each time you successfully resist an incoming spell ( a very rare occurance unless you're really decked out with arcane resist gear), but that's about it.

plenilune

Ambushes in this game are complete BS and no fun at all. It doesn't help that I can't move once I engage, so I have no real way of slowing them down. I don't have a Windsword either.

Ambushes in this game are complete BS and no fun at all. It doesn't help that I can't move once I engage, so I have no real way of slowing them down. I don't have a Windsword either.

At times like these, I find that Sleep (expert Dark Magic) is really useful for pacifying enemies at melee range (especially if they haven't already been affected by something like Poison, sleep lasts indefinitely unless the enemy is damaged, so you can take your time) so that I can focus on taking out the ones at a distance using magic etc. Of course if they're immune to Mind Manipulation you're boned there.

I once
survived a near Game Over experience with my party in the Temple of Ylath when I triggered a massive ambush of Dreamwalkers(the spell casting dudes who can do massive damage and like to heal themselves frequently) thanks to the Sleep spell which i used give my Crusader precious time to resurrect my other fallen characters. That was quite an exhilarating encounter.

plenilune

At times like these, I find that Sleep (expert Dark Magic) is really useful for pacifying enemies at melee range (especially if they haven't already been affected by something like Poison, sleep lasts indefinitely unless the enemy is damaged, so you can take your time) so that I can focus on taking out the ones at a distance using magic etc. Of course if they're immune to Mind Manipulation you're boned there.

Wish I had that spell. In my next playthrough I'm definitely rolling a Freemage.

vocab

Got to the lost city, but the three ways i can go on level 2 and 3 are all impossible fights for my party. Looks like this is the end of the road. If my melee characters actually did damage id be fine, but they do nothing.

Corpekata

Banned
You shouldn't be doing level 3 of Lost City yet anyway, it's way high level for when most will encounter it. Level 2 should be doable though.

Zukuu

Banned
So I just started the game before going to bed to make a party. I have 0 clue about the series (apart from the few hours I dabbled into the genre years ago). Playing on hard, I made a party consisting of:

Human - Mercenary (spears, heavy armor, endurance, two handed): DPS
Human - Crusader (warfare, heavy armor, shield, endurance): Tank + Heal
Dwarf - Scout (Dodge, Fire Magic (for potential buffs ala rage if that exists, at least it sounded like it from the description)): DPS + traps + buffs
Elf - Druid (Light Magic, Time Magic): Heal0r + Mage + Buffbot

Do I stand a chance? Are there any fail picks for classes / skills? Any other skills / classes that are must have?

I really wanted to go with a Human Mage as my 4th character and use a Dwarf defender, but I don't like any of the other Range classes apart from the Scout, so I went with the above. (don't want to have 2 dwarfs in my party. :3). The Orc Melee doesn't sound like it could make a decent tank.

Human - Mercenary (spears, heavy armor, endurance, two handed): DPS
Human - Crusader (warfare, heavy armor, shield, endurance): Tank + Heal
Dwarf - Scout (Dodge, Fire Magic (for potential buffs ala rage if that exists, at least it sounded like it from the description)): DPS + traps + buffs
Elf - Druid (Light Magic, Time Magic): Heal0r + Mage + Buffbot

Pretty good starting point, although I suggest you major in Earth Magic for the Druid instead for Healing. The regeneration healing spell that comes with it (even at novice level afaik) is very useful throughout the whole game. Also, the armour buff that come from the earth branch is nothing to sneeze at, plus poison (reduces enemy Evade values + indefinite DOT until the enemy dies) is pretty neat to make sure your Melee chars get more hits and a spell later on in the Master Level helps to reduce enemies armour values by 50%, making your melee chars hit harder. A small bonus is also the Cure Poison spell which is important during the early game as well, else you'll be chugging antidotes.

I used my Crusader to master the Light Magic branch for the resurrects and the occasional single off heals when my Druid gets one shotted and goes unconscious.

Also, having someone who can do Primordial Magic (what you meant by Time Magic I guess?) is very important in the game and will save you loads in gold for the Identify spell, and since you don't have a Freemage, the Druid will have to pick up the slack instead.

Just a heads up, physical ranged classes are kinda gimped in this game. Best stick to magic for ranged attacks. Also don't forget to level up Perception (improves attack rating for both ranged and melee weapons, which affect hit %) up the ass during the initial levels. You'd be tempted to prioritize Might only for both your melee chars but they'll be missing. A lot. And since your tank is only effective when actively hitting the enemies you wish to taunt away from your spellcasters, you really don't want to miss.

waby

I tried to play the free MM6. First thing I did i saw a lot of orcs north of Soprigal pulled them to town thinking some NPC guards will attack them. I ran away back to the town and no interaction happen between people and enemy orcs lol I kinda laugh at it. I killed them all by camping in the inn and just heal using the inn since I still don't grasp the combat interface of the game.

Zukuu

Banned
Pretty good starting point, although I suggest you major in Earth Magic for the Druid instead for Healing. The regeneration healing spell that comes with it (even at novice level afaik) is very useful throughout the whole game. Also, the armour buff that come from the earth branch is nothing to sneeze at, plus poison (reduces enemy Evade values + indefinite DOT until the enemy dies) is pretty neat to make sure your Melee chars get more hits and a spell later on in the Master Level helps to reduce enemies armour values by 50%, making your melee chars hit harder. A small bonus is also the Cure Poison spell which is important during the early game as well, else you'll be chugging antidotes.

I used my Crusader to master the Light Magic branch for the resurrects and the occasional single off heals when my Druid gets one shotted and goes unconscious.

Also, having someone who can do Primordial Magic (what you meant by Time Magic I guess?) is very important in the game and will save you loads in gold for the Identify spell, and since you don't have a Freemage, the Druid will have to pick up the slack instead.

Just a heads up, physical ranged classes are kinda gimped in this game. Best stick to magic for ranged attacks. Also don't forget to level up Perception (improves attack rating for both ranged and melee weapons, which affect hit %) up the ass during the initial levels. You'd be tempted to prioritize Might only for both your melee chars but they'll be missing. A lot. And since your tank is only effective when actively hitting the enemies you wish to taunt away from your spellcasters, you'll really need to hit.
So can you only "master" one "art"? I planned to do it in earth, since the spell sounds beyond awesome.

I could also sac Light Magic to take one of those magic-buffing skills (less mana cost or more powerful spells). Do I need Light beyond the Crusader for healing duties?

I also thought about having 2 mages (1 dedicated healer (druid), and 1 dedicated utility + dps mage (freemage) and then a defender instead of crusader) instead of the Scout or Crusader (and then only having 1 tank + dps mercenary).

Any other pointers or suggestions I should know? I planned to increase hit sooner or later, but thanks for the heads up.

Top Bottom