• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Might & Magic X Legacy |OT| From Corak and Sheltem to Enroth and Erathia

Moff

I just wish the world didn't have to be gradually unlocked, at least to some extent. M&M2 just threw you into the world, gave you some quest and told you do explore the world.

well there are pros and cons, i dont really like the Magic barriers blocking the way either, but mostly because they just look silly. I dont mind some Kind of Progression in Exploration.
revisiting all the water spots after I got the Blessing was Kind of fun.

Are the requirements for this game really high? I have a 4 year old gen 1 core i7 with 4 gigs of ram and a video card from that time as well. Can I run the game?

Are the requirements for this game really high? I have a 4 year old gen 1 core i7 with 4 gigs of ram and a video card from that time as well. Can I run the game?

Minimum:
OS: Windows Vista SP2, Windows 7 SP1, Windows 8 (all 32/64 bit versions)
Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E7300 @ 2.6 GHz or AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+ @ 2.7 GHz
Memory: 4 GB RAM
Graphics: nVidia GeForce 8800GT or AMD Radeon HD3870 (512MB VRAM with Shader Model 4.0 or higher)
DirectX: Version 9.0c
Network: Broadband Internet connection
Hard Drive: 10 GB available space
Sound Card: DirectX 9.0c Compatible Sound Card with Latest Drivers
Additional Notes: Using the Minimum Configuration, we strongly recommend to use minimal settings in order to not experience low framerate.

Recommended:
OS: Windows Vista SP2, Windows 7 SP1, Windows 8 (64 bit versions)
Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad @ 2.4 GHz or AMD Phenom x4 @ 2.3 GHz
Memory: 6 GB RAM
Graphics: nVidia GeForce GTX470 or AMD Radeon HD6870 (1024MB VRAM with Shader Model 5.0)
DirectX: Version 9.0c
Network: Broadband Internet connection
Hard Drive: 10 GB available space
Sound Card: DirectX 9.0c Compatible Sound Card with Latest Drivers

I think it might be difficult to get it to run at an acceptable framerate. You could probably start it up though. See it as an excuse to invest in a new computer.

Durante

I also almost could manage the place with the Spectres, but that paralyze is way too nasty for me handle just yet. Might have to go and nab Burning Determination or whatever the spell is that makes you immune to paralyze for a few turns.
Burning Determination is awesome for spectre fights, if you can just get it up early enough. And cheap, get it ASAP.

Your CPU is easily fast enough. Your GPU is also most likely fast enough to play it, just not at highest detail. RAM could be a bit scarce.

The game is a RAM monster. Even when running it using modest settings (shadows off, etc) on my Core 2 rig it consumes over 2.7 GB of RAM in the open world when roaming around. No wonder the recommended amount is 6 GB.

No wonder the initial loads (e.g. from towns to the open world) take ages. I'm just glad I maxed out the RAM to 8 GB on my ancient laptop, it's doing things a laptop this old shouldn't be doing.

Almost done exploring the whole peninsular now (except for Karthal obviously), I have to say the Water and Air blessings are the 2 most important ones in the whole game, without them your mobility in the world map is severely gimped. Air especially unlocks some neat shortcuts between zones for traversal and as Sinitar insinuated earlier on is important to finish up the Obelisk quest.

I still haven't touched the main Karthal sewer quest in Act 3 yet lol. It's just sitting there. All the remaining quests have something to do with Karthal too. 3 of my classes (crusader, druid and archmage) can't be promoted until Karthal is unlocked so it really sucks having to explore the world without those tier bonuses when I already have the points put into those abilities. The blademaster is really ripping it since she got promoted, easily the MVP of my team.

kafiend

Gah I hate switch puzzles. Can anyone help with the Air Shard one?

edit: Nvm. Youtube to the rescue

from Ubi forums. I had to look it up too. I also hate that type of puzzle.
Stand in the middle of the four pressure plates. Step on the forward plate three times, then the right plate two times, then the left plate one time, then the back plate four times. This puts all the floating thingys in the proper places, just walk up them.

Durante

The only puzzle I had to look up so far is one of the chest puzzles. Something like "What is not enough for 1, just right for 2 and too much for 3?". I said
love
(what can I say, I'm a romantic) but it isn't the answer the game wants to hear :p

spiritfox

Hah, I finished the Pathfinder Promotion quest by
warping straight to Karthal with a Spirit Beacon I already set and rode to Seahaven. I think I took 2 steps.
Easiest quest ever.

kmfdmpig

The only puzzle I had to look up so far is one of the chest puzzles. Something like "What is not enough for 1, just right for 2 and too much for 3?". I said
love
(what can I say, I'm a romantic) but it isn't the answer the game wants to hear :p
I tried the same exact answer.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I had to look up the riddle where the answer was 'palimpsest'.

I then had to google what the fuck a palimpsest was.

Cheech

I had to look up the riddle where the answer was 'palimpsest'.

I then had to google what the fuck a palimpsest was.

I am pretty sure that riddle was in there for the patient people who make notes of chests they can't figure out and come back to later.

The game does actually give you the answer
via book
at one point, just not necessarily by the time you hit that chest.

AkuMifune

Banned
Ran into a weird bug where the entrance to Castle Portmeyron disappeared. Tried reloading and stuff, but gone. Luckily I remembered the back entrance through a different dungeon and got lev #2 on level 3 to take me to the forge where I left a beacon. That was close! Level 29 and haven't gained a level in a long time, but haven't died in forever either. I actually haven't come across anything I couldn't beat since getting the water protective spell. I don't even use celestial armor anymore, don't need to.

Is there really no town portal spell? And Crushing Weight is a letdown. Otherwise, man. Love this game.

Sinatar

Ran into a weird bug where the entrance to Castle Portmeyron disappeared. Tried reloading and stuff, but gone. Luckily I remembered the back entrance through a different dungeon and got lev #2 on level 3 to take me to the forge where I left a beacon. That was close! Level 29 and haven't gained a level in a long time, but haven't died in forever either. I actually haven't come across anything I couldn't beat since getting the water protective spell. I don't even use celestial armor anymore, don't need to.

Is there really no town portal spell? And Crushing Weight is a letdown. Otherwise, man. Love this game.

I had the same bug happen to me, once I beat the next story dungeon the entrance reappeared, but yea I had to go through the same back door to get in there.

As for town portal, there is the Spirit Beacon spell (why didn't they call it Lloyd's Beacon, argh!) which you can set in a town. I have my beacon in Karthal right next to the stables and dockmaster so I can easily get to whatever town I need.

AkuMifune

Banned
I had the same bug happen to me, once I beat the next story dungeon the entrance reappeared, but yea I had to go through the same back door to get in there.

As for town portal, there is the Spirit Beacon spell (why didn't they call it Lloyd's Beacon, argh!) which you can set in a town. I have my beacon in Karthal right next to the stables and dockmaster so I can easily get to whatever town I need.

Cool. If the entrance reappears that would be a good place to leave my beacon. Right now I need it for the forge and the one final shard I need to find. (I think one).

And yea, Lloyd's Beacon! I knew secretly hoping for a fly spell or even
laser rifles
was too much, but I expected town portal at least.

And Spike, you're worthless, but I'll come back for you after I don't need XP anymore and have a free hireling spot. You're too cute!

rybrad

I am pretty sure that riddle was in there for the patient people who make notes of chests they can't figure out and come back to later.

The game does actually give you the answer
via book
at one point, just not necessarily by the time you hit that chest.
You also get the answer via a gossip option in Karthal (slums iirc) and it even has part of the riddle word for word.

That being said, I absolutely looked it up and had never even heard the word palimpsest in my life. Education through games!

Durante

Yeah, the game bombards you with tons of background information about the world in the intro movie. What you actually need to know is "hey here's this peninsula at the verge of secession from a larger empire due to a recent crisis of faith".

Knurek

Yeah, the game bombards you with tons of background information about the world in the intro movie. What you actually need to know is "hey here's this peninsula at the verge of secession from a larger empire due to a recent crisis of faith".

What you really need to know if there are any spaceships disguised as pyramids.
Sadly, all signs point to no.

Sinatar

There are plenty of references to the sci fi stuff in the various journals and books you find. For instance one of the astronomers journals details how he found Xeen and Terra floating in space and was tracking their movements.

So it's in the same greater M&M universe but there are no spaceships or blaster rifles in this.

Durante

Yeah, the astronomer you take as an NPC for the quest also talks about seeing worlds which are flat, and how no one believed him :p

kmfdmpig

The room in the elemental Forge looked sci fi to me. The screenshot was back a few pages. It looked kind of like a space port or something.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
So World of Xeen is supposed to be better than this? Because this game is amazing. I remember liking Mandate of Heaven quite a bit when I was a young'n. One of the first games I bought with my own money :D

Durante

World of Xeen is fantastic, but its interface was hard to deal with even 10 years ago. I can't even imagine how it would be coming from something with a UI as good and (positively) streamlined as M&MX's.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
So, after playing a little into Act 2 on Adventurer and getting really bored with the samey combat, I decided to say F it and restart the game on Warrior.

What an amazing difference. The game was balanced around this mode. Before, I had money for pretty much anything I wanted. Now, I have to pick and choose what to buy, and every purchase counts.

I also have to use all my spells, and every combat encounter is full of strategy and risk reward. I never cast a single ward and barely used my entangle and wind spells before. Now, I'm constantly weighing when the best time to use them will be... and that spell that increases defense against missile weapons is a godsend, whereas before I never even knew what it did.

I can't recommend playing this on Warrior enough.

AkuMifune

Banned
World of Xeen is fantastic, but its interface was hard to deal with even 10 years ago. I can't even imagine how it would be coming from something with a UI as good and (positively) streamlined as M&MX's.

Yeah, this game has also scratched my M&M itch and I think I might start V (or maybe a Wizardry) after this, but it looks like it's going to be rough.

Really, just wish we had some mods already. But it's so linear I'll doubt I'll go through X again, though I did the first two acts twice.

So it's in the same greater M&M universe but there are no spaceships or blaster rifles in this.

I guess Heroes I-IV came after they droppeed the sci fi stuff, because it's set in Enroth/Erathia but never mentiones anything like it. Or it was to subtle for me to pick up on, not having played any of the classic M&M games.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
So World of Xeen is supposed to be better than this? Because this game is amazing. I remember liking Mandate of Heaven quite a bit when I was a young'n. One of the first games I bought with my own money :D

World of Xeen is really solid and is definitely a ton of fun to play today. However, there are two problems.

The interface is pretty bad, however everything is accessible through keyboard shortcuts. Once you learn the shortcuts, the game is actually faster playing the MM X.

The sound is absolutely terrible. It's from the pre-sample days where everything was synthesized through AdLib.

It's so bad that I can't play it on DosBox because for some reason the "walking" sound is this really high pitched whine noise that drives me absolutely crazy. I thought maybe it was just something wrong with my system, but I tried it on my work machine and it had the same problem.

Knurek

The sound is absolutely terrible. It's from the pre-sample days where everything was synthesized through AdLib.

That's only if you were living in Europe. The game was made in USA with US PC gamers in mind. It supports both MT-32 and SC-55 sound cards, I have the rips in Hoot. Sounds way better this way.

Samples:

Adlib
MT-32
SC-55

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
That's only if you were living in Europe. The game was made in USA with US PC gamers in mind. It supports both MT-32 and SC-55 sound cards, I have the rips in Hoot. Sounds way better this way.

Do you have a working profile for the MT-32 emulation in DosBox? When I use MT-32 here it plays a sample of a bell ringing every time I hit a monster with a melee weapon. Which is even more annoying than the AdLib walking sound.

Knurek

Do you have a working profile for the MT-32 emulation in DosBox? When I use MT-32 here it plays a sample of a bell ringing every time I hit a monster with a melee weapon. Which is even more annoying than the AdLib walking sound.

MT-32 is generally hard(-ish) to setup in Dosbox, much easier to use BASSMIDI driver with some good soundfont and mpu401=intelligent, device=win32 settings.

syllogism

I guess Heroes I-IV came after they droppeed the sci fi stuff, because it's set in Enroth/Erathia but never mentiones anything like it. Or it was to subtle for me to pick up on, not having played any of the classic M&M games.
Heroes III Armageddon's blade was originally supposed to feature a futuristic Forge faction, to tie it with M&M VII ending's, but the idea was scrapped due to fan reaction. They never completely dropped the scifi stuff and in fact the original heroes III was released on the same year as Might & Magic VII, which still had prominent science fiction elements.

Jag

I'm trying to plan out my character paths, primarily spell schools. Is there a master list somewhere?

vocab

The amount of quests I have in act 2 is absurd.

Also world of xeens interface holds up compared to other games of that time.

a for attack.
s for shooting bows
Space for punching walls, talking, inspect world items.
then you just need to remember the magic hot key for the spells you want to use and the mouse for inventory and portrait clicking.

Once you get going you'll be used to it. I feel like wizardry 8 has a more complicated interface.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
MT-32 is generally hard(-ish) to setup in Dosbox, much easier to use BASSMIDI driver with some good soundfont and mpu401=intelligent, device=win32 settings.

I have no idea what that means. Can you point me to a tutorial, preferably one that deals with doing this for World of Xeen in particular?

Knurek

I have no idea what that means. Can you point me to a tutorial, preferably one that deals with doing this for World of Xeen in particular?

BASSMIDI is a softsynth for Windows, which allows to use much better samples while playing MIDI files than the default Windows one (I use SGM-V2.01.sf2, which is 240 MB, compared to... uhh, 4 MB the default Windows uses).

You install that, set it as a default MIDI device in Windows and then change dosboxMM4-5.conf [midi] section to have these lines:
mpu401=intelligent
device=win32

Be warned though, the game needs a GS device, and you're using GM one, so there are some... errors (telephone bell when entering doors). Haven't really looked into how easy it is to fix it.

Sinatar

Well Might & Magic 6 (Enroth) and Might & Magic VII (Erathia) had sci fi stuff. Hell MM7's entire plotline revolves around the adventuring party from M&M3 crash landing their ship on Erathia.

Sinatar

RPS put up their review, it's a good read. Interesting seeing it from the perspective of someone with no experience in the series.

The foundation of the charm is slowly pushing outwards, a brew of experience and experience points enabling you to gradually reach new areas, expanding the amount of world available to you and infusing you with the satisfaction that only comes from truly feeling like you’re a better adventurer rather than simply a graphical frontend stuck onto some incrementally increased statistics. Statistics play a big part, but they are very carefully chosen and nurtured as you devise specific roles and specific goals for each of your heroes. A new weapon or skill is a very big deal that can dramatically change your capability and your strategy, not simply a temporary fix before the craving for the next new toy sets in.

vocab

Melee characters are surprisingly immortal in late-game. I really should've put more points into Vitality for my casters.

Melee characters in M&M usually are decent early, weak mid, and godly late. I'm hoping my barb, and crusader start to shine when I get some loots that puts them on god status level.

Sinatar

Yea tanks really come into their own about half way into the game. In the end game I don't think my Crusader can actually die, even if I went out of my way to get him killed.

Top Bottom