• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Might & Magic X Legacy |OT| From Corak and Sheltem to Enroth and Erathia

So can you only "master" one "art"? I planned to do it in earth, since the spell sounds beyond awesome.

I could also sac Light Magic to take one of those magic-buffing skills (less mana cost or more powerful spells). Do I need Light beyond the Crusader for healing duties?

I also thought about having 2 mages (1 dedicated healer, and 1 dedicated utility + dps mage) instead of the Scout or Crusader (and then only having 1 tank + dps mercenary).

Any other pointers or suggestions I should know? I planned to increase hit sooner or later, but thanks for the heads up.

You will have enough skill points to "grandmaster" (in the case of MMX) two or three branches if you devote all your points into those branches exclusively by the endgame.

Different classes have different limitations on how far they can go tier-wise in different skills. The Druid can Grandmaster Earth, Water, Primordial Magic and Mysticism (gives more mana with every skill point put into it). The tiers are Novice, Expert, Master, and Grandmaster respectively.

You'll want to go up to the Master tier for Light Magic for the Crusader for the resurrect spell.

I personally ran with two dedicated "casters" (Freemage and Druid) and it turned out all fine and dandy in the end. The Freemage, as some would say is indispensable for any group due to the sheer flexibility accorded to the class.

I recommend that you also have someone who can do Dark Magic to obtain the indispensable Purge (extremely useful against enemies which regenerate health/heal/buff themselves which can drag out fights and make some of them impossible to finish without having to waste your mana potions), Sleep (basically makes it so you can focus on one enemy at a time as long as you don't touch the others, useful during ambushes/tight spots.) and Hidden Whispers (reveals lots of hidden passageways in dungeons for phat lewt and in some cases questline progression) spells. In my case, the Freemage was the go to Dark magic fellow.

Erudite

Just a heads up, physical ranged classes are kinda gimped in this game. Best stick to magic for ranged attacks. Also don't forget to level up Perception (improves attack rating for both ranged and melee weapons, which affect hit %) up the ass during the initial levels. You'd be tempted to prioritize Might only for both your melee chars but they'll be missing. A lot. And since your tank is only effective when actively hitting the enemies you wish to taunt away from your spellcasters, you really don't want to miss.
Hmm, I read on Something Awful that it's better to put your skill points into the designated weapon skill that character is using to increase Attack Value as opposed to pumping it into perception too much.

Just finished Act I tonight on Warrior, seems to be working so far.

vocab

My boxed copy of Legacy should arrive today. :)

Are you sure? It works for me now when I click it.

Page Not Found
The page you were looking for could not be found. On every single link.

I tried to play the free MM6. First thing I did i saw a lot of orcs north of Soprigal pulled them to town thinking some NPC guards will attack them. I ran away back to the town and no interaction happen between people and enemy orcs lol I kinda laugh at it. I killed them all by camping in the inn and just heal using the inn since I still don't grasp the combat interface of the game.

First you need to create a decent party. Turn in the first quest you got and equip all your people with the stuff they have. Make sure everyone has bows. A to attack in melee and S to bow. Enter turns the combat into turn based. It's real time by default. It's a little hard to get going, but once you get bows you can start doing stuff.

Hmm, I read on Something Awful that it's better to put your skill points into the designated weapon skill that character is using to increase Attack Value as opposed to pumping it into perception too much.

I did both (GM Swords for both my Crusader/Paladin and Blademaster) and some shielded/armoured melee enemies (like the Blackfangs at the end of the game) could still block/evade my hits.

Can't hurt to have a high attack rating.

Knurek

Forgive the OT, but I found a way to have proper music (with no SFX glitches) in World of Xeen, some people were interested.

How to have MT-32 music in World of Xeen in 5 easy steps

1. Setup the (talkie?) version of game to use SB-16 for sample playback and MT-32 for music, then change dosboxMM4-5.conf [midi] section to have the following lines:
mpu401=intelligent
device=win32
2. Download and install latest version of Munt (1.3.0 as of this writing). This will install softsynth emulator of MT-32 hardware. Please note that you will need to find actual Roland MT-32 program/sample ROMs.
3. If you're using Win7 and above, MS decided that you don't need to be able to change the default MIDI softsynth used. I'm not sure whether Munt has an option for that, if not, BASSMIDI has an option to change, that in it's config tool.
4. ???
5. Play the damn game.

I walked around a bit with this setup, music sounds okay to me, SFX as well (walking results in footsteps, slinging an arrow in bowstring sound, opening doors results in creaking). While the game wasn't written with MT-32 in mind (MM3 was, this one was made with GS synths), it still sounds way better than Adlib soundtrack does. Way better.

That is a great tip, Little Knur, thanks a lot. I will try it in my next WoX playthrough.

Did Ubi or Limbic say anything about the sales of this title? Are they happy with them or not? I've seen nothing on their forums and around the internet.

jrcbandit

For my melee, I raised my Perception early on to 20 so hitting things havent been a problem. Now that I have unlocked Mastery, raising weapon skills also ensures I can hit. However, after maxing weapon skills and 2 hander/dual wielding there wont be a way to increase attack rating other than raising perception again (and of course appropriate gear with +weapon skill or + perception bonus). Did anyone find the need to start raising perception again at higher levels?

Corpekata

Banned
It's been in the top 20 most played games since release, even peaking at like 10k concurrently, which is higher than Heroes VI. Given how low budget it had to have been, I would be amazed if they are not satisfied with the numbers already, and that's without taking into account future price cuts.

Durante

Forgive the OT, but I found a way to have proper music (with no SFX glitches) in World of Xeen, some people were interested.

How to have MT-32 music in World of Xeen in 5 easy steps

[...]
I was actually going to try exactly that, Munt seemed promising.

Knurek

I was actually going to try exactly that, Munt seemed promising.

It certainly improved in last few years, I had a real CM-64 synth at one point (hw died few years ago :( ), and you can't really tell much of a difference nowadays.

This method also works with other DOSBox/SCUMMVM games. obviously newer games written for GM will need another softsynth (BASSMIDI would get my vote here). Not sure what to do with GS games, Roland released a SC-55 softsynth (Virtual Sound Canvas), but sadly, this one doesn't work with x64 systems).

Okay, enough OT-ing for now. Back to MMXLegacy awesomeness.

Moff

I have grandmastered the melee weapons and pumped tons of Points into perception for both my melees, about twice as much as might, and they still miss a lot, I'd say at least 30% still miss or get blocked.
I dont know, maybe I just Need to accept that there is no 100% hit Chance?
my blademaster does by far most of my damage.
Magic resistance is very very high in the endgame, even my tank does more damage than my mages by now, with his few Points in might.
if I do a warrior run, I'm not sure how I'll specc.
at least for the blademaster, it somehow makes more sense to add some Points to Spirit, use the warfare skill that gives you 100% Change to hit, and put all the Points in might.

I have grandmastered the melee weapons and pumped tons of Points into perception for both my melees, about twice as much as might, and they still miss a lot, I'd say at least 30% still miss or get blocked.
I dont know, maybe I just Need to accept that there is no 100% hit Chance?
my blademaster does by far most of my damage.
Magic resistance is very very high in the endgame, even my tank does more damage than my mages by now, with his few Points in might.
if I do a warrior run, I'm not sure how I'll specc.
at least for the blademaster, it somehow makes more sense to add some Points to Spirit, use the warfare skill that gives you 100% Change to hit, and put all the Points in might.
What are your current attack values for your melee characters? You can see them from the combat tab. I don't know exactly how hits are calculated in this game but I'm guessing it's someting fairly straight forward like e.g. your hit value - the enemy's evade value.

You could also try equipping lighter armor and see if that fixes your problem.

Raggie

UPS just delivered. COLLECTOR'S EDITION GET! :)

This has to be the cheapest CE with a cloth map.

Anyway, I've already tried the open access version, but after reading threads like these I think I'll hold off my actual playthrough until this game has matured a bit and the CE content is released. I've waited for a MM10 for so long that a few months more won't matter as much as having the game as good as it can be.

mikeybass

Neo Member
Based on the hype from this thread alone (and my love of Daggerfall and Etrian Oddessy) I've bought this game. Just reached the very first quest (just about to go down the well) and enjoying it so far, even if I've taken worrying damage from the spiders jumping out of boxes and crates at me.

I've gone:

Elven Blademaster
Dwarven Defender
Human Freemage
Dwarven Runemaster

Based on this thread I've made sure I have Celestial Armour and the Detect Secrets spells.

Any other quick advice for someone who's spend exactly 1 1/2 hours with any Might and Magic game in his entire life?

Raggie

It seems to me like reviews are mainly putting down and giving low scores to this game for the same reasons why Etrian Odyssey is so well-liked: difficult, emphasis on gameplay rather than story or characters, retro, grid-based and niche.

As far as I'm concerned, those are features rather than downsides. It makes no sense to downgrade a game because it's not appealing to every goddamn gamer on the planet.

Moff

I'm at the end and I would have given it an 8 in the first few hours, but it even gets to much better, its a 9, period.
there is almost nothing wrong with this game, I wouldnt know what should be better in the sequel, mostly minor nitpicking stuff.
even the length was perfect, it honestly got a bit tiring in the end.
I dont think it would be fair to the developers, nor would it be a correct evaluation of the product just because its a low budget niche game.

Any other quick advice for someone who's spend exactly 1 1/2 hours with any Might and Magic game in his entire life?

Common sense, but F5 (quicksave) is your best friend. Hit it often when venturing into uncharted territories, before opening chests and closed/locked doors, you never know what might be lurking around the corner.

You don't know how many times I've averted a wipe thanks to the good ol' F5/F9 combo.

I'm at the end and I would have given it an 8 in the first few hours, but it even gets to much better, its a 9, period.
there is almost nothing wrong with this game, I wouldnt know what should be better in the sequel, mostly minor nitpicking stuff.
even the length was perfect, it honestly got a bit tiring in the end.

Gratz. Yeah I felt the last act went on for quite a bit too, it's all great stuff though so I don't mind it at all.
Two really long dungeons/combat zones back to back with no way out are really draining.

Raggie

For anyone looking for more games like this, I'd like to recommend Elminage: Original for the PSP.

It got bad reviews due to the fact the localization was botched something awful, but it was later fixed with a patch. It's sadly overlooked, I personally think it's one of the best first person grid RPGs. It also reminds me of MM in that you never really need to grind; if you hit the difficulty wall, you can just continue in some area and return later.

You can also import your own custom portraits and soundtrack. I ended up making a 'dream team' of my previous characters from MM3-5, Lands of Lore and Eye of the Beholder, and replaced some of the music from Xeen and Lands of Lore. :-D Great fun.

Moff

I'll definitely play another might & magic next, just not sure which one.
I loved world of xeen as a kid, and those maps on the last page made me want to replay it really bad. I got mandate of heaven with Legacy though, and I never played that before, and some say its the best MM, so I'm still not sure which one first.

waby

I loved world of xeen as a kid, and those maps on the last page made me want to replay it really bad. I got mandate of heaven with Legacy though, and I never played that before, and some say its the best MM, so I'm still not sure which one first.

I like the quirky profile pictures of the characters :D

Raggie

It's really up to personal preference (or which one you started out with) which MM is the best one. Most think it's either Xeen or Mandate.

I'd say go for Xeen next, then on to MM6. You can finish Xeen in a reasonable amount of time, but Mandate will take 200+ hours. It took me a year to finish.

gblues

Banned
You have to clear the entire lighthouse and light it again. Also the den of thieves has another level, you may want to look around or use a spell like whispering shadows to uncover the secrets. After all this you can get a new quest from the orc in town, unless you run into a funny bug like I did.

Thanks! I knew I was missing something. Den of Thieves is now properly cleared.

gblues

Banned

I highly recommend installing the community patch. Mouse look takes it to a whole new level. Highly recommended.

marrec

Banned
For anyone looking for more games like this, I'd like to recommend Elminage: Original for the PSP.

It got bad reviews due to the fact the localization was botched something awful, but it was later fixed with a patch. It's sadly overlooked, I personally think it's one of the best first person grid RPGs. It also reminds me of MM in that you never really need to grind; if you hit the difficulty wall, you can just continue in some area and return later.

You can also import your own custom portraits and soundtrack. I ended up making a 'dream team' of my previous characters from MM3-5, Lands of Lore and Eye of the Beholder, and replaced some of the music from Xeen and Lands of Lore. :-D Great fun.

That's available on the Vita right?

I've looked at that one a few times but never bit.

I think after I'm done with M&MX I'll go back to Wizardry 8 and finally finish it. I did a run of M&M3-6 earlier in the year so I'm not keen to revisit those again.

This game has really given me a hunger for this specific form of exploration and discovery. Now that I know it can be done with modern aesthetics, I don't know if I can ever go back.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
That's too bad. I hope Elminage is because it's very good.

BTW, there's a grid dungeon crawler coming up soon for the Vita: Demon Gaze. It's been very popular in Japan. It does have anime aesthetics though, unlike Elminage.

You said the game was patched? I wasn't aware you could patch a PSP game. How did that work?

AkuMifune

Banned
Elminage Original is compatible. I have it on my Vita.

Me too! I should try that again. I got frustrated early and never went back.

Finished my campaign last night! The game is both leaner and meatier than I expected; a good, solid slice of classic M&M that I would recommend to anyone. The only negative is that it left me wanting more, another 100 hours of towns and quests, but I think that's really a huge compliment and anyone expecting something like M&MVI now without something like this first is crazy. Hey, it's currently my 2014 GOTY. ;)

Going to start 4 scouts on Warrior sometime over the weekend, but I need to fit some Broken Age in.

birdchili

does the celestial weapon (i think that's the name - a light spell) spell work? it's supposed to prevent the target from blocking, but it most certainly doesn't do that all of the time.

Arkeus

does the celestial weapon (i think that's the name - a light spell) spell work? it's supposed to prevent the target from blocking, but it most certainly doesn't do that all of the time.

People are saying it's borked, but it works for me. Sometimes it's resisted though.

Raggie

You said the game was patched? I wasn't aware you could patch a PSP game. How did that work?

Sure, you can patch PSP games. I'm not sure how it was done though, mine was already in the latest version when I bought it.

BTW, another one to try on PSP/Vita is Class of Heroes 2. I haven't tried my own copy yet, but it's another Wizardry-like and I hear it's good.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder

Yea it's definitely bugged.

Just as a general tip, enemies have a set number of block attempts per turn so what I did as my general combat tactic was have my bladedancer attack first, he swings a whole ton of times so it would eat through the enemies block attempts, then I'd get my tank to do his taunt attack which has a much higher chance to hit with enemy block attempts gone.

birdchili

People are saying it's borked, but it works for me. Sometimes it's resisted though.

it's either borked or the description is wrong - i get blocked after successfully landing it unresisted.

(i kind-of need this spell working:(

Yea it's definitely bugged.

Just as a general tip, enemies have a set number of block attempts per turn so what I did as my general combat tactic was have my bladedancer attack first, he swings a whole ton of times so it would eat through the enemies block attempts, then I'd get my tank to do his taunt attack which has a much higher chance to hit with enemy block attempts gone.

i'd do that if i *had* a bladedancer. my biggest build-regret (so-far) is not understanding how block worked when i put my party together. having someone with multiple attacks that can burn through blocks is pretty important if you're relying on the warfare taunt to pull attacks to a tank.

edit: related... attacks with a staff appear to not count as melee attacks, can never be blocked, and don't use up enemy block attempts?

Arkeus

edit: related... attacks with a staff appear to not count as melee attacks, can never be blocked, and don't use up enemy block attempts?

Staves/wands(orbs) are Magical Foci, and aren't influenced by any stats but themselves (and the +400% bonus if you GM MF). They never miss and are never blocked.

I do not know if you can use the WF abilities with them. It's possible, though it would be a bit of a weird build.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Got to the lost city, but the three ways i can go on level 2 and 3 are all impossible fights for my party. Looks like this is the end of the road. If my melee characters actually did damage id be fine, but they do nothing.
Did you ever find your way out of your hole? This is almost the place in Act II I'm at and advice might be useful.

AkuMifune

Banned
Did you ever find your way out of your hole? This is almost the place in Act II I'm at and advice might be useful.

That's a tough impasse. There's a part early in the Lost City where you have either the ravenous ghouls on one side or the ambush on the other. I think you have to survive the ambush to get the key to progress, but you don't have to go through the ghouls just yet. It's trial by fire at that point, if you're party can't survive the ambush, you spec'ed wrong, or need to go kill everything else possible. Or download the Uplay relics. ;)

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Yea I had cleared basically the entire peninsula minus the areas blocked off by the water and air blessings before I did any story stuff in Act II in the lost city.

Zukuu

Banned
You will have enough skill points to "grandmaster" (in the case of MMX) two or three branches if you devote all your points into those branches exclusively by the endgame.

Different classes have different limitations on how far they can go tier-wise in different skills. The Druid can Grandmaster Earth, Water, Primordial Magic and Mysticism (gives more mana with every skill point put into it). The tiers are Novice, Expert, Master, and Grandmaster respectively.

You'll want to go up to the Master tier for Light Magic for the Crusader for the resurrect spell.

I personally ran with two dedicated "casters" (Freemage and Druid) and it turned out all fine and dandy in the end. The Freemage, as some would say is indispensable for any group due to the sheer flexibility accorded to the class.

I recommend that you also have someone who can do Dark Magic to obtain the indispensable Purge (extremely useful against enemies which regenerate health/heal/buff themselves which can drag out fights and make some of them impossible to finish without having to waste your mana potions), Sleep (basically makes it so you can focus on one enemy at a time as long as you don't touch the others, useful during ambushes/tight spots.) and Hidden Whispers (reveals lots of hidden passageways in dungeons for phat lewt and in some cases questline progression) spells. In my case, the Freemage was the go to Dark magic fellow.
I'll redo my party then and swap to the double mage setup. Tho, is defender more worth it then? Does Mercenary has any perks that are relevant? The dash sounds not very useful (I dunno tho). The auto crit sounds nice, but only vs critter mobs and less important against harder fights. Also, I seem to have no ability as mercanery that uses mana (apart from the dash), would it be wise to sacrifice a talent point in endurance and go for it to make use of my mana (for increased damage and utility)?

I already love the game and haven't even played a single battle xD I just love to min-max theory craft stuff. I always spent hours in character creation.

Do "Spears" benefits from the "Two Handed" skill? I need to know this!

edit: Just read that Mercs can't reach Grandmaster with weapons - are you kidding me? What's the point then? :X How can THE "weapon class" have this stupid restriction?

edit 2:
I modified my game data so I can GM Spears as Merc :3. Now I'm happy.

garath

Omg. this entire time I was thinking the game was so ugly and couldn't figure out how Durante's looked so nice. I thought I had everything bumped up to max but I guess it didn't stick. Everything was actually medium. I changed it in the main menu and voila, the game looks soooo much better. Lol. I could have sworn I did this before in the main menu.

edit: Ok guys. I just entered seahaven, there is a really nice sword for 16k that I can buy, plus maybe a second for another 8k. I have 29k to my name. Is this a wise purchase??

Arkeus

edit: Ok guys. I just entered seahaven, there is a really nice sword for 16k that I can buy, plus maybe a second for another 8k. I have 29k to my name. Is this a wise purchase??
The guy that sells the sword should also be giving you a quest for a relic sword- if you need just the one sword, it is possibly not the best idea to get a sword compared to a weapon for another character. If you need 2, go wild.

vocab

Also, there's a lot of stuff you can do on the world map before going to the lost city.

Sure, and there's a lot you can't do. Act 2 is the worst part of the game. So open yet so closed.

You have to beat the ambush. If you can't deal with the ambush you're fucked on progress pretty much.

Top Bottom