• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Might & Magic X Legacy |OT| From Corak and Sheltem to Enroth and Erathia

Mugaaz

Putting points in VIT is no joke. Especially on casters.

What's interesting to me in games like these, is the fine line they have to walk. If the game is too easy, all the options are the same - overpowered and obliterates foes regardless. If the game is too hard, all subpar options are not options at all, and people are forced into the most effective builds. This game seems to be more in the 2nd camp, which I find more interesting. There does seem to be multiple ways that are at least "good enough" to win most fights though.

The OP says this game is available on Steam but also on uPlay. Does that mean it'll be like Anno 2070 where I'm forced to install uPlay and run the game through it if I buy on Steam?

Durante

The OP says this game is available on Steam but also on uPlay. Does that mean it'll be like Anno 2070 where I'm forced to install uPlay and run the game through it if I buy on Steam?
Yes, every time you sit down to play the game for 6 hours Uplay will pop up for 20 seconds.

Right, when you start the game on Steam it starts up Uplay and launches the game through that.

I think i've solved my "coil whine" problem that was plaguing me at the weekend.
I turned off the gfx monitoring suite i had running and dropped the max frames count in the options to 40 and opened up my case and put vacuum cleaner over the fans and hey presto, no whining after playing for 20 minutes and i've been playing for hours without a hitch. Marvellous.

I'm also at the point where i'm thinking of restarting because i like my Rune Priest, Crusader, Shaman, Blade Dancer combo but think i may want to change their point allocations. I love the fact that restarting after several hours isn't a chore but something i'm looking forward to experimenting with.

Mashing

Yea tanks really come into their own about half way into the game. In the end game I don't think my Crusader can actually die, even if I went out of my way to get him killed.

*Sinatar is eradicated by a Titan*

You were saying?

j/k, no idea if Titans are in the game and since the only thing that could erradicate you in previous games is not in this one, I would think they'd be the next logical choice for eradication.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
BASSMIDI is a softsynth for Windows, which allows to use much better samples while playing MIDI files than the default Windows one (I use SGM-V2.01.sf2, which is 240 MB, compared to... uhh, 4 MB the default Windows uses).

You install that, set it as a default MIDI device in Windows and then change dosboxMM4-5.conf [midi] section to have these lines:
mpu401=intelligent
device=win32

Be warned though, the game needs a GS device, and you're using GM one, so there are some... errors (telephone bell when entering doors). Haven't really looked into how easy it is to fix it.

Ah, interesting. I didn't do any of that before and got the Roland device to work fine in the game... but got the telephone bell noise when opening doors and other errors.

What I really need to know is how to get the correct sound samples to play... and I guess you don't know either? Ugh, well... I guess I'm stuck with AdLib.

Durante

That's only if you were living in Europe. The game was made in USA with US PC gamers in mind. It supports both MT-32 and SC-55 sound cards, I have the rips in Hoot. Sounds way better this way.

Samples:

Adlib
MT-32
SC-55
Thanks for this post. As a European, I never even heard what the game was supposed to sound like. Now I'll have to get MT32 emulation to work with Dosbox and play it at some point.

Knurek

Thanks for this post. As a European, I never even heard what the game was supposed to sound like. Now I'll have to get MT32 emulation to work with Dosbox and play it at some point.

If you want just the music, I can upload my Hoot setup with the two games (and, uhh, about 400 other PC DOS games) somewhere.

What I really need to know is how to get the correct sound samples to play... and I guess you don't know either? Ugh, well... I guess I'm stuck with AdLib.

You might have better luck using Roland's Virtual Sound Canvas or asking on GOG/Vogons forums.

Carm

For anyone that completed Tower of Enigma:

Can you use the flute or hidden scroll for anything in the tower? Normally items won't be on the bottom right of the screen unless they can be used. I haven't found anything though.

With World of Xeen, default sounds as I and someone else mentioned, there is loud ping every time you move. I switched to the first Roland for fx number 7 I think it was. Everything sounds far better and no loud ping while moving. Unfortunately every door you open a telephone rings. From my searching I don't think there is a easy solution to fix.

For anyone that completed Tower of Enigma:

Can you use the flute or hidden scroll for anything in the tower? Normally items won't be on the bottom right of the screen unless they can be used. I haven't found anything though.

The flute is meant to be used for a certain job's (rune priest) promotion quest. If you don't have the job, it has no purpose in the tower.

I was frantically searching around for a use for it until I looked it up. Wasted some time there lol.

Carm

The flute is meant to be used for a certain job's (rune priest) promotion quest. If you don't have the job, it has no purpose in the tower.

I was frantically searching around for a use for it until I looked it up. Wasted some time there lol.

Yea I have the promotion quest, it's just odd that those two items show up on the bottom right. It usually means it can be used in the vicinity, so I was confused if there was something else I was missing.

Durante

I wonder if M&M XI was kickstarted, would it receive more or less money than this project did?
I'd love to know the approximate budget of this game. One thing is sure, they oly managed to make it as large and varied as it is because they had a large number of existing assets to use.

V_Arnold

I wonder if M&M XI was kickstarted, would it receive more or less money than this project did?

I hope it does not need to get kickstarted, but instead gets announced naturally.
I really, really hope so. Now to wait and see how high absolutely positive word of mouth gets this game in terms of sales.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Well now that John Van Canegham is unemployed he should kickstart a might & magic spiritual successor in the style of 6 - 8 to act as a companion piece to the grid based X (and hopefully XI).

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
World of Xeen is fantastic, but its interface was hard to deal with even 10 years ago. I can't even imagine how it would be coming from something with a UI as good and (positively) streamlined as M&MX's.
That sounds bad. I remember loving the interface of Lands of Lore when I was a kid. Those were the EOTB guys I think. The game was very simple though, but they nailed that clean, functional and pretty interface a long ways back.

vocab

That sounds bad. I remember loving the interface of Lands of Lore when I was a kid. Those were the EOTB guys I think. The game was very simple though, but they nailed that clean, functional and pretty interface a long ways back.

It's fine. Lands of lore is a little too good, but world of xeen is close to that.

Another five hours disappeared into this game. Am in act two and got into Karthal. That changed the dynamic of my group completly. Where I used to have a semi useful dwarf tank, a sometimes good orc barb, a buff bot freemage and the MVP heal/dps runecaster I know have finally gotten a team of awesome equals. I'm really noticing the lack of hot bar slots now. My freemage got three pages of useful spells.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
My performance really got obnoxiously bad for the first time in the forest next to Seahaven, just stuttering and dropping frames like crazy. I tried turning everything down and it's still unacceptable...I can only hope this is a problem everyone's having and they'll try to fix it. On a 7870 and 4-core 4.3ghz it should be better.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
I didn't spec for daggers so my Bladedancer didn't really pan out until I got a couple nice swords on her and started dumping points into perception. Act 2 was a hell of a lot of misses before I fixed the build a little.

I didn't spec dagger either (which sucks because every drop I've gotten has been a damn dagger) but I kind of dumped into perception early so I hardly miss. I am not going full might either and am currently dumping hard into Destiny. Going to try to make a crit machine.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
I've got Swords and Axes for my front line guys. Haven't found a good drop yet and I'm through Act 1. Luckily the shop had a couple good ones and yea, it made a huge difference.

Inkwell

Banned
I've really wanted to try a turn based game like this since I played through Grimrock. I know I'll pick this up at some point. For now I have the 1-6 pack. I'm seriously thinking of playing through each of them before I buy X. The first game looks a bit intimidating because of its interface. At the very least I'm thinking of playing 3-5. I don't want to pull the discussion away from X, but I'm wondering if anyone has any tips or advice before I begin.

Sinatar

I've really wanted to try a turn based game like this since I played through Grimrock. I know I'll pick this up at some point. For now I have the 1-6 pack. I'm seriously thinking of playing through each of them before I buy X. The first game looks a bit intimidating because of its interface. At the very least I'm thinking of playing 3-5. I don't want to pull the discussion away from X, but I'm wondering if anyone has any tips or advice before I begin.

Just enjoy yourself. They are great games, JVC is a really talented designed and they are far more welcoming then other similar entries from the era so you really needn't be intimidated.

InertiaXr

The impressions here in the OT seem pretty damn positive and I'm thinking of buying it on Steam and have been trying to decide on a party beforehand using the chart in the OP, what do you guys think of a Ranger/Freemage/Barbarian/Runepriest setup?

Sinatar

The impressions here in the OT seem pretty damn positive and I'm thinking of buying it on Steam and have been trying to decide on a party beforehand using the chart in the OP, what do you guys think of a Ranger/Freemage/Barbarian/Runepriest setup?

You probably want to replace either the ranger or the barbarian with someone who wears heavy armor.

gblues

Banned
I am seriously derping here. I've got to be missing something obvious.

I'm in Chapter 1. I've left Sorpigal, and I'm supposed to go.. where, exactly? I've explored everywhere I can. I think.

Governor's castle: Guard says "Can't see governor without an appointment."
Try to proceed to Seahaven: "Derp bandits derp"
I've cleared the Den of Thieves. I think. Is there just the one level? It seemed awful small. But I can't find any stairs up or down.
I've cleared the first couple floors of the lighthouse. Get murdalized on the top floor.
I even tried travelling by coach from Sorpigal.

Moff

I didn't spec for daggers so my Bladedancer didn't really pan out until I got a couple nice swords on her and started dumping points into perception. Act 2 was a hell of a lot of misses before I fixed the build a little.

When I get around to a Warrior playthrough I'm going to go right for daggers and lean on perception sooner. The class sounds next level with that build.

its not a bad idea to give your bladedancer the warfare skill and some spirit
the ultimate skill of the blademaster uses mana anyway, and warfare gives you an ability that lets you always hit, no matter what. my blademaster is my main damage dealer, although I have an air and fire grandmaster in my group, and the blademaster even uses swords.
warfare also gives you the skill that lets you silence casters for one round, which comes in handy a lot

This game not hard at all by the way.
I remember early on some People said adventure mod was hard, and warrior was very hard. you would run out of Money, pots, or XP because of the lack of respawn, even on adventurer.
None of this happened, I have over 300k by now and I am sure I am strong enough to finish the game, warrior might be different, but I somehow doubt it. I'm also terribly bad at roundbased RPG, the last one I seriously played was might and Magic V when it was released. although my MMO experience certainly helped me here.

AzureSky

warrior might be different, but I somehow doubt it.

it might still change at some point, but warrior is indeed more difficult. It is also the difficulty MMXL is balanced for as far as i am concerned. I am still in act2 and always have to think about conserving money and dreaming about buying that shiny new weapon the smith is offering. There is usually just enough money to get enough potions, necessary spell upgrades and sometimes 1 major upgrade item for someone. Its perfect.

SorchaR

I'm at the Elemental Forge and I'm seriously thinking about restarting my party. I have a Blade Dancer, Crusader, Rune Priest and a Free Mage. I'm pretty happy with my Blade Dancer and free Mage, but I feel my Rune Priest is stretched out too thin trying to focus on Earth, Light and Fire at the same time. I'm sure there are enough points to max out all three spell schools, but you can only cast one spell per round per character.

The Crusader can GM Light magic, but the Celestial Shield and Heal that he casts isn't as strong as that of my Rune Priest with his high Magic stat, nor can he cast it as often thanks to low spirit.
If I add a Druid or a Shaman instead then they can focus and Earth and either Water or Air, and with the way you can't reliably tank in this game, and the fact that spells offer the best protection for the whole party, three casters shouldn't be as problematic as in other RPGs.

Has anyone tried a party like that, is it a good idea?

And what are the opinions on weapons for casters in this game? I've been putting points in Magical Focus for my Casters, but so far it's been underwhelming. Does it get better?
I could give my rune priest and shaman a spear I suppose, but I'm sure they'll end up missing a lot due to having a low perception.

Edit: i just see that a Shaman can Master the bow; does Bow class as Twohanded for the Twohanded skill?

Moff

I'm at the Elemental Forge and I'm seriously thinking about restarting my party. I have a Blade Dancer, Crusader, Rune Priest and a Free Mage. I'm pretty happy with my Blade Dancer and free Mage, but I feel my Rune Priest is stretched out too thin trying to focus on Earth, Light and Fire at the same time. I'm sure there are enough points to max out all three spell schools, but you can only cast one spell per round per character.

The Crusader can GM Light magic, but the Celestial Shield and Heal that he casts isn't as strong as that of my Rune Priest with his high Magic stat, nor can he cast it as often thanks to low spirit.
If I add a Druid or a Shaman instead then they can focus and Earth and either Water or Air, and with the way you can't reliably tank in this game, and the fact that spells offer the best protection for the whole party, three casters shouldn't be as problematic as in other RPGs.

Has anyone tried a party like that, is it a good idea?

And what are the opinions on weapons for casters in this game? I've been putting points in Magical Focus for my Casters, but so far it's been underwhelming. Does it get better?
I could give my rune priest and shaman a spear I suppose, but I'm sure they'll end up missing a lot due to having a low perception.

if you say you are at the elemental forge, are you specificially talking about the earth elemental Boss?
I have a very similiar Party Setup like you (Defender, bladedancer, freemage, runepriest) and that Boss was by far the most difficult one on the whole game. the rest was really very easy. I think its a very good Setup.
if you're just having Troubles with this Boss, try him a few times, you'll get lucky eventually and he will make fewer devastating AOE attacks
usefull spells you should have by now:
earth ward, Stone Skin, celestial armor, dark shroud (not sure about the name, the one with the blue cape that lets an enemy miss an attack)

Points on foci are not that bad, you wont use melee weapons anymore at one point and they buff your spells. but you should get your spells up before that.

not sure about switching out the crusader, my Defender certainly made a lot of tough fights a lot easier, especially Boss fights.

jimboton

its not a bad idea to give your bladedancer the warfare skill and some spirit
the ultimate skill of the blademaster uses mana anyway, and warfare gives you an ability that lets you always hit, no matter what. my blademaster is my main damage dealer, although I have an air and fire grandmaster in my group, and the blademaster even uses swords.
warfare also gives you the skill that lets you silence casters for one round, which comes in handy a lot

This game not hard at all by the way.
I remember early on some People said adventure mod was hard, and warrior was very hard. you would run out of Money, pots, or XP because of the lack of respawn, even on adventurer.
None of this happened, I have over 300k by now and I am sure I am strong enough to finish the game, warrior might be different, but I somehow doubt it. I'm also terribly bad at roundbased RPG, the last one I seriously played was might and Magic V when it was released. although my MMO experience certainly helped me here.

Wow, I'm glad I picked Warrior. In a game like this, and with lower prices for everything I assume, that would feel like cheating and not much fun at all. I have around 6-7 k at the beginning of Act 2 and it feels like a lot, but obviously not nearly enough to get away with every shiny thing on sale, every skill and every spell (and that's ok!). Luckily with a party of Defender, Bladedancer, Crusader and Freemage I've hardly needed to buy potions so far.

AzureSky

Blade Dancer, Crusader, Rune Priest and a Free Mage.

thats what i am playing, it works just fine as long as you spread the skills evenly. My Crusader started with a heavy focus on mana/health/magic ans Light magic. Runepriest goes for Earth/Fire first. And Freemage got expert primordial/light as soon as possible, then mostly Air and Light on the side.
When i was comfortable with the Light shield, crusader got a few more points in melee stats/skills. That way i have 3 capable healer, and quiet a bit magic power.

Earth Elemental wasn't dificult, just keep burning determination up to prevent stun and heal/shield when necessary. It did take a while and i used up about 10 minor potions but it was never dangerous.

Arulan

I finally had time to start playing. I decided to start on Warrior difficulty with this party:

238750_2014-01-29_00019u0o.png

Despite the budget for this game it can look quite good in some areas. With the exception of Dark Messiah, I'm not familiar with the series. I bought Might & Magic I-VI just recently on GOG, and I'll probably get into those once I'm done with X. I really enjoyed Legend of Grimrock, but the real-time combat reduced the strategy into maneuvering tiles and avoiding hits. I feel this game is already much more engaging in its combat.

When poisoned, does each "tick" roll against your Earth Resistance for a chance to cure yourself, or are you forced to use an antidote or remove poison spell?

SorchaR

if you say you are at the elemental forge, are you specificially talking about the earth elemental Boss?
I have a very similiar Party Setup like you (Defender, bladedancer, freemage, runepriest) and that Boss was by far the most difficult one on the whole game. the rest was really very easy. I think its a very good Setup.
if you're just having Troubles with this Boss, try him a few times, you'll get lucky eventually and he will make fewer devastating AOE attacks
usefull spells you should have by now:
earth ward, Stone Skin, celestial armor, dark shroud (not sure about the name, the one with the blue cape that lets an enemy miss an attack)

Yes, that's where I am now. Biggest problem is that my RP has to cast Earth Ward, Stone Skin, Celestial Armor, Burning Determination and Regeneration all by himself. Another Earth Caster or light caster would make things far easier. My crusader has been focusing on his melee skills and atributes and isn't much use as a buffer/healer.

Points on foci are not that bad, you wont use melee weapons anymore at one point and they buff your spells. but you should get your spells up before that.

That's true, I'll leave off sticking points in it for now and focus on it later.

not sure about switching out the crusader, my Defender certainly made a lot of tough fights a lot easier, especially Boss fights.

My crusader has weak melee attacks compared to my Blade Dancer and is a weak buffer/healer compared to my casters. His taunting skill doesn't work against bosses making hos high health and armor a bit useless; I suppose I'm just not sure on how to utilize him in boss fights properly.

thats what i am playing, it works just fine as long as you spread the skills evenly. My Crusader started with a heavy focus on mana/health/magic ans Light magic. Runepriest goes for Earth/Fire first. And Freemage got expert primordial/light as soon as possible, then mostly Air and Light on the side.
When i was comfortable with the Light shield, crusader got a few more points in melee stats/skills. That way i have 3 capable healer, and quiet a bit magic power.

Earth Elemental wasn't dificult, just keep burning determination up to prevent stun and heal/shield when necessary. It did take a while and i used up about 10 minor potions but it was never dangerous.

I should have probably done that with my Crusader.

my freemage has been sticking spells in Air (nice low cost but gets resisted a lot) primordial and dark magic. She has a few points in light, but not enough for expert. The idea was to get her to cast damage and utility spells.
My biggest problem is leaving all the healing a buffing magic to my rune priest, I should have spread it out over multiple characters. A shame I can't grind out another level or two to rectify that mistake. Then again, I really like the idea of a three caster party so starting over might not be all bad!

Durante

You have to clear the entire lighthouse and light it again. Also the den of thieves has another level, you may want to look around or use a spell like whispering shadows to uncover the secrets. After all this you can get a new quest from the orc in town, unless you run into a funny bug like I did.
Actually, while you are doing the den of thieves quest you shouldn't need to use whispering shadows, you have an NPC who does the same thing.

Moff

Yes, that's where I am now. Biggest problem is that my RP has to cast Earth Ward, Stone Skin, Celestial Armor and Regeneration all by himself. Another Earth Caster or light caster would make things far easier. My crusader has been focusing on his melee skills and atributes and isn't much use as a buffer/healer.

That's true, I'll leave off sticking points in it for now and focus on it later.

My crusader has weak melee attacks compared to my Blade Dancer and is a weak buffer/healer compared to my casters. His taunting skill doesn't work against bosses making hos high health and armor a bit useless; I suppose I'm just not sure on how to utilize him in boss fights properly.
tanks Need a lot of perception so their taunts can actually hit
but I didnt have that on that Boss fight either.
with enough luck you'll make it, maybe you'll have 1 or 2 deaths but it should work out
and you can cast your buffs before the fight starts, dont Forget that.

I also gave eart Magic to my freemage, ist better to have 2 different healer ins the Group
heck I even gave it to my bladedancer, just 1 Point for the AOE heal, it can save your ass

desverger

After I've finished this, I'm totally going through World of Xeen and replaying M&M VII*.

Then, I'm going to replay this on Warrior difficulty since I actually know what to do and where to go, and what kind of party to build.

It's going to be awesome :p

*) NOT going to do that stupid Arcomage quest.

AzureSky

my freemage has been sticking spells in Air (nice low cost but gets resisted a lot) primordial and dark magic. She has a few points in light, but not enough for expert. The idea was to get her to cast damage and utility spells.

you can probably still salvage her. With a few points in Light and high Magic stat her shield should be at ~70, still usefull at that boss. Alternate shielding with runepriest and dont forget burning determination if you have it, stun can really ruin a day. You dont need Earth Ward and could drop Stone Skin too if its difficult to keep up. Just get enough mana potions, and get a workable order for refreshing spells / drinking potions. It should work.
The world opens up after this fight and you will have opportunitys to level up.

Arkeus

This is weird if you have been focusing on his melee, his hits should be damn consisstants. By now you should be master swordman or close, and if you have decent-ish perception (attack value boost) he should always hit.

Checking two things: do you hit first with your blade-dancer so that your crusader is never blocked and always manages his taunt, and did you make sure not to put an armor whose attack penalty value you cannot yet counteract? It's better to have a worse armor statwise earlier on because the attack value penalty can be really high.

Also, while right now his light isn't too strong, it will come in time. I suggest you master light with Crusader quickly (for Heal, Party Heal, and Resurrection), as he is the perfect one to do it.
Don't give her light, you already have two other characters that can have it. In fact, don't give the runepriest more than expert light before a loooong time.

Your Freemage should hit like a truck with his air spells against the earth elementa bossl- mine did a quarter/third of his life per hit. Wait, you are not still suck with novice air magic right? You have Thunderbolt (expert magic blast single-target spell)?

My biggest problem is leaving all the healing a buffing magic to my rune priest, I should have spread it out over multiple characters. A shame I can't grind out another level or two to rectify that mistake. Then again, I really like the idea of a three caster party so starting over might not be all bad!
Runepriest should do a lot of healing/buffing, but very fast the crusader should pick up the slack with his light magic. While his Celestial Armor won't be as good as the runepriest' for a looong time, it should get quite decent as you level up light magic, and what you want the crusader for is the heals/Resurect, as those are powerful and make sure your party can't die.

Basically, with that party this boss should be one of the easiest of the game, because that boss is weak against air, and because you should have Burning Determination with your runepriest.

This basically means that you can whack him down stupidly fast.

Your battle should go something like:
Runepriest buff while the boss is coming to you (you have two turn, so earth armor spell and burning determination)
Fremage does the shadow clack at that time
Crusader does Celestial Armor just before boss is next to you

In the fight proper:
Bladedancer hit with shatter (if he doesn't have it, have freemage cast Sunder)
Crusader hit with challenge (only AFTER the blade dancer hit, as it will mean it can't be blocked)
Freemage blast with thunderbolt
Runepriest blast with firebolt

Rince and repeat, though in second turn runepriest will probably cast Celestial armor and in the third regen.

Darkone

I'm having the same problem getting my hands on good swords for my playthrough. When I hit Karthal I finally had a shop that carried a couple good ones and it changed things completely for me.

That's what I get for not diversifying and having two characters spec for swords thinking the game would rain loot for every possibility all the time like every other RPG from after 2005 or so.

My next mistake to fix is getting more health on my mages. Some of the tougher enemies have no problem one-shotting them.

That is a mistake i made, both my Crudsader & Bladedancer spec with swords, and i am having hard time threw act 2.
No fucking sword drop and i can afford only one sword from the shop in Seahaven.
Think i will save the money for Karthal.

SorchaR

This is weird if you have been focusing on his melee, his hits should be damn consisstants. By now you should be master swordman or close, and if you have decent-ish perception (attack value boost) he should always hit.

Checking two things: do you hit first with your blade-dancer so that your crusader is never blocked and always manages his taunt, and did you make sure not to put an armor whose attack penalty value you cannot yet counteract? It's better to have a worse armor statwise earlier on because the attack value penalty can be really high.

Also, while right now his light isn't too strong, it will come in time. I suggest you master light with Crusader quickly (for Heal, Party Heal, and Resurrection), as he is the perfect one to do it.

Don't give her light, you already have two other characters that can have it. In fact, don't give the runepriest more than expert light before a loooong time.

Your Freemage should hit like a truck with his air spells against the earth elementa bossl- mine did a quarter/third of his life per hit. Wait, you are not still suck with novice air magic right? You have Thunderbolt (expert magic blast single-target spell)?

Runepriest should do a lot of healing/buffing, but very fast the crusader should pick up the slack with his light magic. While his Celestial Armor won't be as good as the runepriest' for a looong time, it should get quite decent as you level up light magic, and what you want the crusader for is the heals/Resurect, as those are powerful and make sure your party can't die.

Basically, with that party this boss should be one of the easiest of the game, because that boss is weak against air, and because you should have Burning Determination with your runepriest.

This basically means that you can whack him down stupidly fast.

Your battle should go something like:
Runepriest buff while the boss is coming to you (you have two turn, so earth armor spell and burning determination)
Fremage does the shadow clack at that time
Crusader does Celestial Armor just before boss is next to you

In the fight proper:
Bladedancer hit with shatter (if he doesn't have it, have freemage cast Sunder)
Crusader hit with challenge (only AFTER the blade dancer hit, as it will mean it can't be blocked)
Freemage blast with thunderbolt
Runepriest blast with firebolt

Rince and repeat, though in second turn runepriest will probably cast Celestial armor and in the third regen.

Thanks for all that advice!

My Crusader still has a white sword while my bladedancer has two green daggers, I haven't found any good swords yet (even in the shops) which doesn't help. I stuck most of his points in heavy armor, endurance and shields, I've probably should have stuck more in swords and light magic first. He does have a high perception score and doesn't miss, he just doesn't hit very hard. He survives quite well though and is the last man standing, which might be handy once he gets resurrect.

I was hitting first with my crusader to get the taunt in, I'll use the blade master first instead.

My freemage got her air up as far as I could get it (full expert) but I realize I only have the sparks spell, I'll go back for the one you mentioned. she gets knocked out pretty fast though, most enemies seem to attack her first even though she's in the third slot.
I didn't have the burning determination on my rune priest though, I had to go back to get that.

I'm still tempted to start over; I've wasted so many skill points on various characters because I wasn't familiar with the game, and it wouldn't take too long to get back to where I was with a better built team. it just bugs me that my team could be better, but I'm OCD like that hehe.

Top Bottom