• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Might & Magic X Legacy |OT| From Corak and Sheltem to Enroth and Erathia

Carm

I really don't like how end game is set up, not the first game to do it this way, but it's made more annoying in this one, don't want to spoil.

So I'm standing at the door to the last place and I have a question about a chest needing a key and a puzzle room before it with levers before I go.

Last floor of The Vigil by the council. There is a room with 4 levers on the walls, a room nearby with a chest needing a key and another room with 4 doors across a small chasm. I'm assuming the levers have something to do with that, but anything I did, nothing happened. Anyone figure that out.

AkuMifune

Banned
There's a secret room in the room with 4 levers with a fifth lever. Pull all 5.

And have some Mana potions, you've got some work left.

Carm

There's a secret room in the room with 4 levers with a fifth lever. Pull all 5.

And have some Mana potions, you've got some work left.

Well figured out the chest, that was dumb on my part. The levers though.

I had already pulled the secret one, I just figured those other four, since they can still be used after that, they were tied to those 4 doors in the other room across the chasm. Are they not?

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I think the best moment in the game is killing those Spectres that seemed invincible when you first ran into them at level 4.

AkuMifune

Banned
Well figured out the chest, that was dumb on my part. The levers though.

I had already pulled the secret one, I just figured those other four, since they can still be used after that, they were tied to those 4 doors in the other room across the chasm. Are they not?

Oh my bad. I just did that last night and forgot. All I remember from that section after finding what you did was going through the door. I left some stuff there and meant to go back, but at that point I wasn't even picking up magic items or gold, only grabbing mana potions and moving on.

Carm

Oh my bad. I just did that last night and forgot. All I remember from that section after finding what you did was going through the door. I left some stuff there and meant to go back, but at that point I wasn't even picking up magic items or gold, only grabbing mana potions and moving on.

Thanks anyway. This the room I'm talking about http://imgur.com/vbKMIRO Figured the levers had something to do with that room.

Durante

I think the best moment in the game is killing those Spectres that seemed invincible when you first ran into them at level 4.
That was nice, not as nice as totally steamrolling that dark mage / bandit ambush on the world map which cost me 20 minutes of progress the first time it happened though.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Just as a general tip, enemies have a set number of block attempts per turn so what I did as my general combat tactic was have my bladedancer attack first, he swings a whole ton of times so it would eat through the enemies block attempts, then I'd get my tank to do his taunt attack which has a much higher chance to hit with enemy block attempts gone.

Daggers?

vocab

No, you need both shards to unlock that door. double sealed.

Alright.

Well I got the water blessing. That fight was a little annoying considering my melee just doesn't do jack shit. It's an endurance fight. I'm hoping the game gets a little bit better. I really thought Act 2 was bad, and was a struggle.

Shaldome

All right finished it. That was a nice trip into the past and I am curious, of what the rest of the year will bring.

I am level 33 at the end with all characters and I think I only missed one dungeon, which I totally forgot about before heading into the final chapter. The only quest left is the one with the poems of which I am still missing two.

The epilogue was a nice touch but mine had a bug.
It showed me both entry's for the choice of what to answer to the inquisitor

All in all a very fun game.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
I must say I expected more from Sudgerd. You go down there, beat up the monsters, beat up the boss and that's it? No big item, no super-secret treasure room? Oh, and the boss is a complete joke.

Edit:
Is "Portal to a Distant Star" a M&M2 reference or am I misinterpreting things? Nevermind, there's all sorts of nice references in the lore.

The game references the most recent Heroes of Might and magic quite frequently.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Each of the entries in the 'forbidden saga' is a poem summarizing one of the M&M RPG's. The M&M IX one is the best one.

12243474744_c1c42419c2_o.png

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Ha. I bet it was still better than that other wrpg IX that came out, though...I won't speak it's name.

_DrMario_

Well I'm about to restart my game since my CPU crapped out and somehow my main drive got corrupted and I had to reformat... I wasn't too far in (Seahaven) but it still sucks...

Anyway my old party was a Bladedancer, Runepriest, Mage, Mage. Didn't have any problems with it. I didn't feel like I needed a tank at all but at the same time I read that Magic Resistance is much higher when you start to get near the end.

Maybe I'll switch one of the mages with a shaman or a druid.

Sinatar

Oh it's *miles* better then the game that shall not be named. It's still a mess, but it's not that big of a mess.

It's even sadder when you consider that M&M9 turned out the way it did because 3DO was going bankrupt and needed the money. The game that shall not be named turned out the way it did because EA.

Sinatar

Did anyone ever figure out what the effect of the fire shard is?

Detecting when people are hostile towards you? huh? Maybe it shows enemies on the minimap?

Did anyone ever figure out what the effect of the fire shard is?

Detecting when people are hostile towards you? huh? Maybe it shows enemies on the minimap?

Precisely those two things. That's about it.

Shard bonuses once turned in and you've dealt with the boss elemental:-

Earth - Clears thickets in foresty areas to reveal new areas.
Water - Jesus effect. (walk on water) -needed to finish the game-
Air - Enables Teleporter access to hilly areas. -needed to finish the game-
Fire - Detect enemy aggression before you see them. Also makes them visible on areas of the minimap you've explored. -optional-
Light - Trap Detection. (Perma Clairvoyance) -optional-
Dark - Detects hidden passages (Perma Hidden Whispers) -optional-

Every shard also grants a +5 to resistance of that type once the elemental is dealt with.

Carm

Finished the game a few minutes ago, Steam says 63 hours, only quest I didn't turn in is the xp npc. I didn't care for the end game at all, very big letdown at the end.

I seem to be missing two Ashan lore books, if anyone has them all, can you take a look here to see which two I'm missing. I'm guessing they are hidden behind walls since I explored all visible squares.

I'm also having a problem locating a vendor for the Dark Magic Grandmaster spell Weakness. I've checked all towns spell vendors and none of them had it, any ideas?

I'm also having a problem locating a vendor for the Dark Magic Grandmaster spell Weakness. I've checked all towns spell vendors and none of them had it, any ideas?

Doesn't the spellbook vendor in Karthal Slums have it?

I found the rest here:-

Water/Earth/Fire GM spells - Spells vendor, The Crag
Light GM spell - Spells vendor, Seahaven
Prime GM spell (Hour of Power) - The Great Library, Karthal Harbor District

Sinatar

Finished the game a few minutes ago, Steam says 63 hours, only quest I didn't turn in is the xp npc. I didn't care for the end game at all, very big letdown at the end.

I seem to be missing two Ashan lore books, if anyone has them all, can you take a look here to see which two I'm missing. I'm guessing they are hidden behind walls since I explored all visible squares.

There is a spell vendor in the slums, I think that's who has it.

_DrMario_

What in the flying fuck...

I'm on level 2 of the lighthouse. I kill the Elite kenshi that's guarding the entrance to lvl 3. Then I move forward one case... and then this song starts playing for like 5 seconds with a woman going "Now nonow nonow" or some shit to a 90s beat.

I googled it and couldn't find anything about it... my mind if full of fuck. Nothing else but steam and uplay was open at the time.

And I'm barely drunk :p

Sinatar

What in the flying fuck...

I'm on level 2 of the lighthouse. I kill the Elite kenshi that's guarding the entrance to lvl 3. Then I move forward one case... and then this song starts playing for like 5 seconds with a woman going "Now nonow nonow" or some shit to a 90s beat.

I googled it and couldn't find anything about it... my mind if full of fuck. Nothing else but steam and uplay was open at the time.

And I'm barely drunk :p

It's something to do with the naga sorceresses, I think the devs messed up and left some placeholder sounds in the game. Some of the enemies in the last dungeon play circus music. It's fucking trippy.

I really only have 2 problems with this game, the performance after act 1 and the towns are way too big for this movement system. I understand they wanted you to explore them but after you do that it just becomes a chore. I miss a town screen with all the building options you can just click on and you go into the building.

spiritfox

I really only have 2 problems with this game, the performance after act 1 and the towns are way too big for this movement system.

The big towns are fun, and would be better if there are more secrets to find. They just need to do something about levels on the minimap. Karthal Slums is a mess to navigate.

_DrMario_

It's something to do with the naga sorceresses, I think the devs messed up and left some placeholder sounds in the game. Some of the enemies in the last dungeon play circus music. It's fucking trippy.

That's what I figured because right after the song played I fought a Coral Princess.

rybrad

I hope it wasn't a fuckup, it makes me laugh every time and I hope it stays!

Edit: I should add that I am talking about the lady nagas, I am hoping it is an easter egg like crossbow dudes pogoing on their crossbows sometimes.

Durante

They are clearly well aware of (and fine with joking about) the problems with earlier M&M games and even the limitations of their own:
screenshot_2014-01-30x1uv5.jpg

Sinatar

That's so precious. :D

I've been hearing rumors that fan patches have actually managed to turn MMIX into a good game.

The fan patches made it into a game you can finish without running into piles of game ending bugs and crashes. It certainly didn't make it good though.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Forgive the OT, but I found a way to have proper music (with no SFX glitches) in World of Xeen, some people were interested.

How to have MT-32 music in World of Xeen in 5 easy steps

1. Setup the (talkie?) version of game to use SB-16 for sample playback and MT-32 for music, then change dosboxMM4-5.conf [midi] section to have the following lines:
mpu401=intelligent
device=win32
2. Download and install latest version of Munt (1.3.0 as of this writing). This will install softsynth emulator of MT-32 hardware. Please note that you will need to find actual Roland MT-32 program/sample ROMs.
3. If you're using Win7 and above, MS decided that you don't need to be able to change the default MIDI softsynth used. I'm not sure whether Munt has an option for that, if not, BASSMIDI has an option to change, that in it's config tool.
4. ???
5. Play the damn game.

I walked around a bit with this setup, music sounds okay to me, SFX as well (walking results in footsteps, slinging an arrow in bowstring sound, opening doors results in creaking). While the game wasn't written with MT-32 in mind (MM3 was, this one was made with GS synths), it still sounds way better than Adlib soundtrack does. Way better.

You say I need to find the Roland MT32 sample roms. I don't really know what this means... is this some kind of software that people still use for instruments? I have no idea how to even go about doing this. Is there a way to legally acquire these?

rybrad

Now I'm a bit disappointed I never got the Coral Priestess "easter egg". Sounds ridiculous.
I think any lady Naga can do it so if you find some later, just wait around for a bit before you agro them and you might get lucky. It seems to be a much lower chance than the crossbow dudes pogoing but that could be biased from always, you know, killing the Nagas on sight.

I really need to stop reading this topic, it is making me want to start up a second play-through of the game already...

Knurek

You say I need to find the Roland MT32 sample roms. I don't really know what this means... is this some kind of software that people still use for instruments? I have no idea how to even go about doing this. Is there a way to legally acquire these?

These ROM files dumped from the actual hardware. Only legal (in some countries) way to get them is to dump them from your bought Roland synths. Good luck finding one in working order - we're talking hardware released first in 1987.

If you want to try other methods, those are the files you are looking for:

CM32L_CONTROL.rom CRC:B998047E
CM32L_PCM.rom CRC:4B961EBA

garath

Damn. The beginning of act 2 after the elemental forge is no joke. Pretty much everywhere I go its the fight of my life. I have quests all over the place so not 100% sure what the real next progression spot is. I really need some stronger spells too. I'm master or expert in all my schools but firebolt and lighting just isn't cutting it anymore. Seahaven didn't have much of a spell selection.

I've been exploring the delete waste (hard) and the area around karthus? Found entrance to the sewers but those blackguards are really tough. Went deeper into the forest stuff but I barely survive every encounter with elite mama draining spiders Lol.

That 16k sword on my bladedancer is one of the only reasons I am actually winning these fights. Nothing like critting for 170 or so.

Corpekata

Banned
Post Forge you need to go find the guy in the tower, he'll send you on a quest to find the leader of the bandits. He's in the Lost City. So pre Karthal you should be able to clear most of Lost City (level 3 is higher level) and most of the forest area around the tower, but if you're fighting spiders you've gone too far, should mainly be minotaurs and manticores. After you do the Lost City you should be strong enough for the black guards. Most of the open area you have access to by Act 2 will be fairly hard until you have access to Karthal. Not to say you shouldn't explore, as there's a few side areas to do, but following the main quest is generally a good idea.

garath

Post Forge you need to go find the guy in the tower, he'll send you on a quest to find the leader of the bandits. He's in the Lost City. So pre Karthal you should be able to clear most of Lost City (level 3 is higher level) and most of the forest area around the tower, but if you're fighting spiders you've gone too far, should mainly be minotaurs and manticores. After you do the Lost City you should be strong enough for the black guards. Most of the open area you have access to by Act 2 will be fairly hard until you have access to Karthal. Not to say you shouldn't explore, as there's a few side areas to do, but following the main quest is generally a good idea.

Awesome. That's very helpful. I guess I need to find this tower and lost city. I think I've been spreading out a bit too much. I did stumble across a couple relics so its been worth it Hehe. Used almost all my mana potions though.

Zukuu

Banned
Holy smokes. Just left town for the first time. I didn't think it would be freely explorable. This game is awesome.

vocab

Made it to the crag. I hope I can find a new weapon for my barb. Also teasing me with the location of the warmonger quest is just mean.

Rolf NB

That's so precious. :D

I've been hearing rumors that fan patches have actually managed to turn MMIX into a good game.
I finished M&M9 and the only thing I remember now is a whole lot of circle-strafing backwards. And some bits of music, heh.

Durante

Finally got to act 3, I really did a lot in Act 2. I also have that "effing cray cray" sword now that Sinatar posted about a while ago. It's fabulous.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Finally got to act 3, I really did a lot in Act 2. I also have that "effing cray cray" sword now that Sinatar posted about a while ago. It's fabulous.

Do tell. I have been using the same equipment that I bought at the start if Act 1 :(

Top Bottom