• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mike Pence doesn't rule out torture under Trump administration

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shit will seriously hit the fan Jan 20. Can't come soon enough. Trump will be on blast like he has never been in his life. And he will be held accountable for his shitty beliefs and policies.

It's my opinion that anyone who supports torture should have to undergo it for at least an hour to see if it changes their opinion of it.

It's easy to support something you have no experience or understanding of.

Acorn

Shit will seriously hit the fan Jan 20. Can't come soon enough. Trump will be on blast like he has never been in his life. And he will be held accountable for his shitty beliefs and policies.
I'm not sure his inauguration into the most powerful job in the world is going to be bad for him.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
A significant portion of society doesn't care about being better than terrorists, they care about winning by any means necessary. Why do you think so many Trump supporters are okay with using nukes?

Yep. A whole lot of people combine a poor grasp of actual morality with ignorant delusions about the global landscape. I suspect a not-insignificant number of Americans, when thinking of nukes, at best can imagine WWII and believe if the US nukes someplace to prove how tough it is, the immediate result will be everyone surrendering and bowing to America.

I've heard people say before the US is weak because it hasn't used nukes freely to teach people a lesson.

Jeels

Maybe the international community should start working on sanctions against the US.

I can't believe it's come to this.

FyreWulff

Gaf, I've always been torn on this matter. On one hand, I think it's cruel ass hell. On the other, they would torture us too. In certain situations, I would torture someone to save thousands. It would have to be a dire situation for me to do so.

Torture doesn't get information. All it gets is false confessions and made up information to make the torture stop.

Building networks and actual spying on enemy armies is much more effective and time-relevant. Hell, once you capture someone important, even if they told you everything in the next week it'd already be out of date.

stephen08

I'll be honest GAF, it's getting so difficult not to see Trump supporters as awful people. I know that painting any group with too wide a brush is awful and that different things are of different importance to everyone but we are talking about torture here.

slit

What. the. fuck.

There are people going around today thinking Pence is the saner choice than Trump and he should be president because he's a quieter psychopath and didn't freak out over the Hamilton message. The man is even more dangerous than Trump!

roytheone

This, along with Trump saying he'd be willing to go after terrorists' families, is truly scary. They'll be no better than what they're trying to fight.

Going against innocent families of terrorists would basically be 100 % murder. If he actually does that, I really hope the international community will react accordingly. They will not though.

watershed

Banned
America sucks. Everything that happens going forward is on everyone who voted for Trump, who didn't vote, who protested but didn't vote, etc.

FStubbs

I doubt it. He was never held accountable through the campaign trail and the GOP won't call their own president to task.

Yep. A whole lot of people combine a poor grasp of actual morality with ignorant delusions about the global landscape. I suspect a not-insignificant number of Americans, when thinking of nukes, at best can imagine WWII and believe if the US nukes someplace to prove how tough it is, the immediate result will be everyone surrendering and bowing to America.

I've heard people say before the US is weak because it hasn't used nukes freely to teach people a lesson.

Punch those people squarely in the mouth for their stupidity.

That has to be one of the dumbest things I've ever heard.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
A reminder of Pence's amoral madness for those who didn't know about this particular example:

http://time.com/4576513/mike-pences-hateful-laws/

The man will single out and oppress specific individuals with the might of government, in service of his agenda.

Punch those people squarely in the mouth for their stupidity.

That has to be one of the dumbest things I've ever heard.

Don't underestimate the power of ignorance combined with eye-for-an-eye culture is all. There's good reasons observers outside the US are sometimes really afraid of the country.

Hagi

As if a Trump administration isn't torture enough they have to brink back the waterboarding. "IT WORKS, IT WORKS I TELL YOU!" he cries out into a crowd of mindless drones.

Sijil

Comic book villains, mustache twirling Saturday morning cartoon villains. The idiot leader, the evil mastermind sidekick, all we're missing is some monstrous pet to complete the picture.

Ekai

How can Americans be so dense?

Because a lot of Americans are bigoted assholes who care about no one but themselves/have lived off of the fear-mongering/dumbing down used by Republicans via right-wing media for decades and refuse to face reality/embrace human decency.

Comic book villains, mustache twirling Saturday morning cartoon villains. The idiot leader, the evil mastermind sidekick, all we're missing is some monstrous pet to complete the picture.

I think Newt counts.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
What happens when innocent people are inevitably tortured? Oh well? Shouldn't have been born in the middle east?

Vote in the midterms.

Ekai

Small Government man uses big government poer!

The Republicans have always been for #BigGovernment. But only when they can use it to control and bully minorities of all kinds and women. "Party of small government" my ass. It's branding and nothing more. That anyone buys into it is absurd and speaks so much to their critical thinking capability.

Maxim726X

He basically said the equivalent of 'no comment'.

Seriously, do people expect him to publicly disagree with his president?

It's really all he could say. This will be yet another decree from candidate Trump that President Trump will not follow through with.

A1ZueF.gif

Fuck that, if I was in the armed forces I'd be seeking my way out of there ASAP. No way I'd be willing to serve under this pond scum.

Hagi

What happens when innocent people are inevitably tortured? Oh well? Shouldn't have been born in the middle east?

Vote in the midterms.

For every 100 innocents, we might get 1 bad guy. They probably deserve it anyway.

Trump 2017.

fuck McCain. Every chance he had to stand against Trump *before* the election, he didn't.

he supported the Republican candidate, even after that ohio speech. End of story

Yeah his cowardice might be explained by some sort of conflict of interest.

Either way reality is setting in way to late for these assholes

fuck McCain. Every chance he had to stand against Trump *before* the election, he didn't.

he supported the Republican candidate, even after that ohio speech. End of story

Also said he would have blocked any SCJ nomination from Hillary despite the republicans saying that they were going to "let the people decide". He also signed that treasonous letter trying to interfer with iran negotiations and when people called him out on it he said it was snowing and he just signed it so he could go home.

Every time Mccain does something to earn respect, he does 2 things to lose it.

Let's just repost the Senate Intelligence Committee report on CIA torture's main findings:

The CIA's use of its enhanced interrogation techniques was not an effective means of acquiring intelligence or gaining cooperation from detainees.
The CIA's justification for the use of its enhanced interrogation techniques rested on inaccurate claims of their effectiveness.
The interrogations of CIA detainees were brutal and far worse than the CIA represented to policymakers and others.
The conditions of confinement for CIA detainees were harsher than the CIA had represented to policymakers and others.
The CIA repeatedly provided inaccurate information to the Department of Justice (DOJ), impeding a proper legal analysis of the CIA's Detention and Interrogation Program.
The CIA has actively avoided or impeded congressional oversight of the program.
The CIA impeded effective White House oversight and decision-making.
The CIA's operation and management of the program complicated, and in some cases impeded, the national security missions of other Executive Branch agencies.
The CIA impeded oversight by the CIA's Office of Inspector General.
The CIA coordinated the release of classified information to the media, including inaccurate information concerning the effectiveness of the CIA's enhanced interrogation techniques.
The CIA was unprepared as it began operating its Detention and Interrogation Program more than six months after being granted detention authorities.
The CIA's management and operation of its Detention and Interrogation Program was deeply flawed throughout the program's duration, particularly so in 2002 and early 2003.
Two contract psychologists devised the CIA's enhanced interrogation techniques and played a central role in the operation, assessments, and management of the CIA's Detention and Interrogation Program. By 2005, the CIA had overwhelmingly outsourced operations related to the program.
CIA detainees were subjected to coercive interrogation techniques that had not been approved by the Department of Justice or had not been authorized by CIA Headquarters.
The CIA did not conduct a comprehensive or accurate accounting of the number of individuals it detained, and held individuals who did not meet the legal standard for detention. The CIA's claims about the number of detainees held and subjected to its enhanced interrogation techniques were inaccurate.
The CIA failed to adequately evaluate the effectiveness of its enhanced interrogation techniques.
The CIA rarely reprimanded or held personnel accountable for serious or significant violations, inappropriate activities, and systematic and individual management failures.
The CIA marginalized and ignored numerous internal critiques, criticisms, and objections concerning the operation and management of the CIA's Detention and Interrogation Program.
The CIA's Detention and Interrogation Program was inherently unsustainable and had effectively ended by 2006 due to unauthorized press disclosures, reduced cooperation from other nations, and legal and oversight concerns.
The CIA's Detention and Interrogation Program damaged the United States' standing in the world, and resulted in other significant monetary and non-monetary costs.

There are people going around today thinking Pence is the saner choice than Trump and he should be president because he's a quieter psychopath and didn't freak out over the Hamilton message. The man is even more dangerous than Trump!
If someone assassinates Trump.. let me find that mofo and knock his ass out for he did not know he fucked it up even more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom