• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mike Pence doesn't rule out torture under Trump administration

Status
Not open for further replies.

bidguy

Banned
i thought it was pretty much general knowledge that torture doesnt work. especially against people who are willing to blow themselves to pieces.

“Believe me, it works,” he told the Columbus crowd. “And you know what? If it doesn't work, they deserve it anyway, for what they're doing. It works.”

You see, this is the problem I have with with the support of things like torture and the death penalty. Even though we have well-researched evidence showing that it isn't effective (gathering information through torture and deterring crime with the death penalty),and innocent lives can very easily be the target, there are a disturbing amount of people who just don't care.

As long as the idea of something so violent being done to keep people safe is in their minds, it doesn't matter whether or not it works are if it's happening to actual perpetrators. It's fucking maddening that people can be so cruel.

i thought it was pretty much general knowledge that torture doesnt work. especially against people who are willing to blow themselves to pieces.

It's not just that, but the fact that people who are being tortured are goaded into saying what they think the torturer wants. You can tell the actual truth and it doesn't cause the torture to stop if the answer isn't preferable.

If someone assassinates Trump.. let me find that mofo and knock his ass out for he did not know he fucked it up even more.

As if Trump isn't just Pence and company's figurehead and rubberstamp anyway. If Trump acts up in a way they don't like Pence will just take away his crayons, so removing Trump from the equation isn't really changing anything.

Ogodei

A1ZueF.gif

The group that's proudly taken on the "deplorable" mantle handed to them. Like the Coal-Rollers.

They kind of remind me of the nihilists from The Big Lebowski. They believe in nothing, so that allows them to be evil and not give a damn about that fact.

Torture doesn't work though.

I'm so baffled by people who wish it did though. Like seriously, what is wrong with you for wanting torture to be effective?

This is they key. If it did work, then there could be a debate about values vs efficacy, and which (and when) one should win out. But we know that torture doesn't work. I mean, it does, but only if the person knows something. The problem is that we don't know what they know, so if they don't know anything at all they will still tell us something they think we want to hear.

ArjanN

This is they key. If it did work, then there could be a debate about values vs efficacy, and which (and when) one should win out. But we know that torture doesn't work. I mean, it does, but only if the person knows something. The problem is that we don't know what they know, so if they don't know anything at all they will still tell us something they think we want to hear.

I don't know, I think the fact that it doesn't really work, while true, is kind of beside the point.

I think it would be unacceptable even if it was effective.

I mean we still torture people now and everyone seems cool with Obama. Just... like... keep it on the dl, guys. Jeez. Why go out of your way to be perceived as evil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom