• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Millennials are killing chains like Buffalo Wild Wings and Applebee's

FLEABttn

Banned
Was curious where my nearest Applebees is in Washington DC. There are zero in the District the nearest ones are in suburbs and would take me about 45 minutes to get to assuming i time the metro right.

I think a lot of this article can be summed up by "Millennials are killing Applebees by not living in the suburbs where they are ubiquitous"

I live in the suburbs of NoVA, 15 minutes from the Fairfax one, and still would not eat there.

I know most people where I live, not just Millennials, would rather support local restaurants or local chains instead of national chains simply because the food is better. I can't blame them. The quality of food and service is lacking in national chain restaurants by comparison in my opinion.

I remember in high school, Applebee's was known for its appetizers special and that's it. I remember eating there once and vow to never eat there again since it's just reheated microwave food.

At least Buffalo Wild Wings is decent...I think, I haven't been there in a while. I remember my local bar having better wings though.

Wvrs

Eating out is the biggest rip-off. For occasions, sure, but otherwise my food budget is strictly less than £40/week. Better things to spend my money on.

I know most people where I live, not just Millennials, would rather support local restaurants or local chains instead of national chains simply because the food is better. I can't blame them. The quality of food and service is lacking in national chain restaurants by comparison in my opinion.

This is very true.

While I can get an okay burger at Chilis for $11. There is this local Gastropub that makes an absolute killer burger with top of the line locally sourced ingredients for a couple bucks more. I'd much rather want to give my $$$ to a local business that does things for the neighborhood.

Stasis

Living in the Montreal area now, and my gf having never lived in the US at all, when we do visit friends and family we tend to eat at a lot of these types of places when not going out to better restaurants on weekends, and we find them average to good.

Really it's just that we're not used to them. There aren't many chains like that around here. Even Ontario has a lot more. Quebec just isn't big on it. If we moved back to the US I'm pretty sure we'd never go to them, though. Maybe the occasional Cheesecake Factory visit or some Chik-Fil-A / Chipotle takeout but certainly no regular visits to Applebee's, TGIF, Ruby Tuesday's etc. I can understand why they're no longer thriving. We have fun going to places like Wegman's, lol.

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!
I know one of the heads of customer service at B-Dubs corporate. They ARE trying to work on getting butts in seats, and make sure that folks are satisfied with their experience at the restaurants. I personally think that they're not getting it though. As other's have said, service is key. I think they are overpriced for what they serve, but folks won't mind too much if they have really decent service. That just doesn't seem to happen. And having a "Customer Experience" manager stopping by and asking how everything is tasting isn't going to help. No one wants to rat out the server unless they suck - they just don't come back as often. They're not going to tell you that they didn't like waiting for food for 35 minutes after placing their order. They don't tell you that they got the one drink when they had their order taken, and haven't had a refill since. They're not going to tell the manager that they could go to another bar a quarter mile away, get wings and potato wedges, pay less, and not feel like they're in a somewhat sterile feeling environment.

As long as Buffalo Wild Wings starts selling their sauces in stores, They could close tomorrow, and I'd be fine. Their service is bad and food is overpriced, but their sauces are legit, and I would happily buy them regularly if priced well.

Applebees also seems like they aren't getting what's happening. They thrive where there aren't many options, because at Applebees, you have TONS of options. Have you SEEN their menu? It's pages, and pages, and pages, and pages, and pages of items. I can get a steak, or a burger, or shrimp scampi, or fish tacos, or "fiesta lime chicken," just to get started.

But only a couple items ever really stand out as good, and again, it doesn't seem like its worth what you pay. And if there's a place nearby that serves really good fish tacos, or really good steaks, why go to Applebees?

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Eating out is the biggest rip-off. For occasions, sure, but otherwise my food budget is strictly less than £40/week. Better things to spend my money on.

I don't have the kitchen or knowledge to cook Ethiopian, Sichuan, or Indian cuisine. Eating out makes sense if you want diversity.

qcf x2

Couldn't disagree more. I'd be miserable on your food budget... I take advantage of the privilege of living in an era that allows me to eat what I want and when I want it; I don't skimp or "budget" when it comes to food, I just enjoy the fuck out of it.

I know one of the heads of customer service at B-Dubs corporate. They ARE trying to work on getting butts in seats, and make sure that folks are satisfied with their experience at the restaurants. I personally think that they're not getting it though. As other's have said, service is key. I think they are overpriced for what they serve, but folks won't mind too much if they have really decent service. That just doesn't seem to happen. And having a "Customer Experience" manager stopping by and asking how everything is tasting isn't going to help. No one wants to rat out the server unless they suck - they just don't come back as often. They're not going to tell you that they didn't like waiting for food for 35 minutes after placing their order. They don't tell you that they got the one drink when they had their order taken, and haven't had a refill since. They're not going to tell the manager that they could go to another bar a quarter mile away, get wings and potato wedges, pay less, and not feel like they're in a somewhat sterile feeling environment.

It's not even that, don't come up to me trying to have a conversation when I'm stuffing my face with food that I waited for. Take that survey shit somewhere else!

Your point about the environment being sterile is important; I think these chains would benefit greatly from fundamentally changing some core tenants of business; for example, allow each store manager to customize their location a little. I get that certain things need to remain uniform, but let some flavor in (no pun intended).

Yjynx

When I go out, I want a better food than my own cooking and it must be worth it. If not what's the point?

Linkura

As long as Buffalo Wild Wings starts selling their sauces in stores, They could close tomorrow, and I'd be fine. Their service is bad and food is overpriced, but their sauces are legit, and I would happily buy them regularly if priced well.

Applebees also seems like they aren't getting what's happening. They thrive where there aren't many options, because at Applebees, you have TONS of options. Have you SEEN their menu? It's pages, and pages, and pages, and pages, and pages of items. I can get a steak, or a burger, or shrimp scampi, or fish tacos, or "fiesta lime chicken," just to get started.

But only a couple items ever really stand out as good, and again, it doesn't seem like its worth what you pay. And if there's a place nearby that serves really good fish tacos, or really good steaks, why go to Applebees?
Haven't been to BWW in years, but the one thing I do remember other than liking the potato wedges and chocolate cake is that the service was never very good at all. Not surprised they still don't get it.

At work I listen to a stream of a local sports radio channel, and BWW has so much advertising on the commercials for it touting their 15 minute fast break lunch, they are really trying to hammer that home.

We're in a time where even retail stores are being stingy about hiring people fresh to the job market. How are we going to have the freedom to blow money at chain restraunts where the food isn't even that good?

I live in SF so we barely have chain restaurants like these.

I do however, love BWW, and don't consider them in the same category as Applebees/Chilis/etc which I wouldn't willingly go to anymore.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
I live in SF so we barely have chain restaurants like these.

I do however, love BWW, and don't consider them in the same category as Applebees/Chilis/etc which I wouldn't willingly go to anymore.

They are most assuredly in the same market as those other places you listed.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Let's see here

1) It's easier than ever with phones to find smaller local places with better food at cheaper prices
2) Fast food restaurants have improved their quality and variety in recent years
3) More people are cooking at home when they can so they can eat healthier and get more nutrition(those god damn millenials)
4) Most these restaurants taste like fast food but have far slower service
5) Most millenials are working two jobs to afford a home and rarely have time to go to some halfassed 'restaurant' and sit down to eat if they're eating out

Take your pick

My fiancé and I will singlehandedly keep BWW alive. Despite being generally health-conscience, I pretty much buy a bottle of their "Chipotle BBQ" seasoning in bulk and cook up fried chicken coated in the stuff about once a week. That said, I won't buy their chicken itself - that shit's like 70% fat.

KillLaCam

Banned
Applebees is food for people who turn into Pumpkins if they get more than 25 miles away from the hospital they were born in or don't reminisce about the "big game" at least once a day.

This is pretty much how I feel about it lol. You did a much better job than me. Idk why I was trying so hard not to be offensive about a dumb restaurant

Nordicus

I don't have the kitchen or knowledge to cook Ethiopian, Sichuan, or Indian cuisine. Eating out makes sense if you want diversity.
One of the reasons I've been eating out a bit more for sure. It also sometimes inspires my own cooking a little.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
One of the reasons I've been eating out a bit more for sure. It also sometimes inspires my own cooking a little.

I've tried cooking curries. It's always off target and I gave up. I even have tons of garam masala and all of the spices needed.

Nordicus

I've tried cooking curries. It's always off target and I gave up. I even have tons of garam masala and all of the spices needed.
Same, tho with chicken korma.

Edit: since garam masala is a spice mix, it may be that either (or both) of our garam masala may have entirely the wrong ratios of spices.

Falchion

I can confirm that I vastly prefer fast casual places. The spots I get food at the most are Chipotle, Chick Fil A, and Five Guys.

Amory

god i love buffalo wild wings

fuck applebees and TGI fridays and all that other shit. But Buffalo Wild Wings is fucking awesome.

I've never eaten at buffalo wild wings but good riddance to Applebees. You won't be missed.

Many fond Memories at AB's in from 2004 - 2009. My boy used to work at one
and we would damn near drink for free on the weekends. Good place to pick up a chic or two also. Great times.

Catdaddy

The last few times I ate at BWW and Applebees it was terrible. It may vary from location to location, but over the last 5 years the ones near me saw a big drop off in quality.

Shy Fingers

Banned
Half off apps at Applebee's in college was great. Other than that, no thank you.

Definitely more of a fast casual millennial these days.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
BW3 is crazy overpriced now. I got a gift card from work and we went there and were blown away by their prices. Would never consider going there.

The wings are terrible scrawny things too. Mango habanero is pretty delicious though.

McLovin

Sure its not the fact that they serve highly processed mass produced food like product.
I'd rather not eat microwaved food thank you. Applebees been shitty for 10 years now.
Last time I ate at an Applebee's (It was late) the gave me a microwaved burnt plate of food. It was so gross I never went back to any of them. Had a similar experience a while later at Cheese Cake factory but in the middle of the day and decided to cut these types of restaurants out completely.
Edit-Went to a red lobster once and this family was super loud and let their toddler walk around while they ate. Kid started throwing up as he walked, had a nice arch going too lol. So this kid finishes up, big mess, and the mom doesnt do shit. Just keeps eating. Employees crab-walk over it and keep serving food. It was on the floor for a good 15 minutes before one of them gave up and decided to clean it.

Rookhelm

The food is expensive, not very good, and they give you a mountain shit ton of it on your place. I feel like crap afterwards. I haven't been to Applebees in probably 10 years

Spuck-uk

Banned
BW3s is a place where i go to watch a game and consume like 5 giant 23 oz beers for 3 hours, and then maybe stuff my face with some greasy mini-wings at the end*. Never have I entered one of those restaurants and asked the hostess to seat me and my party and be served by a proper waiter/waitress.

Were people honestly planning their nights around dinner and conversation at BW3s?

*Full disclosure, I love this. But there are better locally-owned sports bars that are also wing places around now where I can do the same thing.

23oz is a Giant beer? America I expected more.

Evil Milennials shown below laying waster to everything in their path:

upubE2.gif

BW3 is crazy overpriced now. I got a gift card from work and we went there and were blown away by their prices. Would never consider going there.

The wings are terrible scrawny things too. Mango habanero is pretty delicious though.

True dat.

Seriously though. The pricing is fucking absurd. The last time I went with my kids so we were ordering for them off the kids menu and after doing some calculations, I realized you could just buy a ton of kids meals with traditional wings and it comes with a side and it would still be less money per wing than buying adult menu wings at regular price.

Alas, they don't let adults eat off the kids menu. Bullshit.

Top Bottom