• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Milo Yiannopoulos's UC Berkeley speech cancelled due to protests, campus on lockdown

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dsyndrome

Fucker's just so goddamn hateful. Doesn't matter where you fall on religious freedom or FroSp, dude just tries to be an asshole. Don't wish anything on him, but fuck if he doesn't deserve what he gets.

I know Milo is reviled on GAF, but I have watched hours of his college speeches on YouTube and never have I come across anything close to nazi speech. He is definitely Republican and pro-Trump, but I guess Republican=nazi is the new narrative. In fact, in many of the college speeches I've viewed, he has let those opposed to him make their point and ask questions as long as they've been somewhat civil. He can be a troll just to stir the pot, but I think it's pretty obvious when he's trying to get a rise out of people.

Lol

This has been said before ever since Spencer got punched, and I just don't buy it. People with rhetoric this hateful aren't going to suddenly stop spewing their nonsense just because someone punches them. Maybe you'd be able to bring some people who haven't gotten quite as extreme to come to their senses, but the ring-leaders? I have my doubts. I'd rather find ways to put pressure on society to socially and economically alienate them into complete irrelevance and abject poverty, rather than trying to wage a merely cathartic physical fight.

I mean, I doubt you will ever get rid of fascism.

Haha how is this in anyway comparable? One is an act of rebellion that lead to the revolutionary war, and here, we have an asshole that is getting more publicity so that his sympathizers will come out to support and help him earn more money?
I'm not quite sure what is the best possible course of action here is, but breaking property of the campus (by non-students) is not one I necessarily support.

I could've said the same thing during the Boston Tea Party "You're letting the asshole British get more publicity so that their sympathizers will support them more!"

if word goes out that people keep destroying campus property then the Republican Groups in other schools are going to think twice about inviting Milo, and they'll start having to show accountability for their decisions

Ferrio

Banned
Argh I'm so conflicted because I love when nazi's are punched :/

I'm calling bullshit on this, or you're not actually hearing what you're saying. There should at not point be conflicted about punching (a thrusting blow, especially with the fist) a nazi. (the "hey genocide is cool" guys.)

Cyframe

So free speech doesn't exist......got it. And employing violence is a good method of dealing with it. What would happen if the right had this same mentality? Civil war?

Then what is your solution? Talking to people like Milo and his supporters doesn't work. How do you solve this when his unchecked rhetoric bolsters violence against the marginalized?

Nepenthe

If you're a free speech advocate, then that means you support protests shutting down the feasibility for a person to espouse their views, because opposition to certain messages is also free speech.

If you think these protests are wrong, then you are not a free speech advocate. You're an advocate for the propagation of hate speech.

99nikniht

The university usually has the final say. Freedom of speech is not a provision of the university but the Constitution of the United States; it only prevents government restrictions on speech.

With that being said, this becomes a debate about freedom of speech/hate speech because UC Berkeley is a public university; the Consitution also prohibits discrimination.

You're right, the University does have the final say, and the governing body here decided that it would be hypocritical of us to be place of origin of the Free Speech Movement and at the same time not allow this ass hat name Milo to talk, if invited by some student entity on campus. We can debate whether or not the campus made the right move in allowing him to talk or campus or not, but I largely agree with the Uni's decision, as much as I hate that scumbag.

Is this true? I'm curious now how bad Milo really is. Anybody got receipts?

Well he once dedicated a segment of his speech to specfically target and harass a trans woman who was a student. Had slides with her pictures all over it.

But yeah he's a big fan of respectful dialogue /s

SwolBro

Banned

yeah, milo is laughing all the way to the bank now. the more people go crazy the more books this guy is going to sell.

instead of letting him speak where you could appose him and ask pointed questions to make him look stupid, nope. riot, vandalize, and get him canceled is the better option?????

then they'll wonder why he's selling millions of books and making so much money.

So free speech doesn't exist......got it. And employing violence is a good method of dealing with it. What would happen if the right had this same mentality? Civil war?

We can have meaningful debate, but like anything else there are a couple of ground rules. And "Nazis fuck off" is inherently one of those ground rules, because there is nothing to debate with a Nazi. Their ideology represents a promise of immense violence and there is no room for allowing that violence to be advocated.

Sai-kun

Banned
yeah, milo is laughing all the way to the bank now. the more people go crazy the more books this guy is going to sell.

instead of letting him speak where you could appose him and ask pointed questions to make him look stupid, nope. riot, vandalize, and get him canceled is the better option?????

then they'll wonder why he's selling millions of books and making so much money.

you know damn well this would never ever happen. please stop concern trolling.

Toxi

Banned
This is happening in many of his stops. The "protests" are out of control. Why has it escalated to this level? Even if you think his views are wrong does that mean it's ok to riot to stop him from speaking at a place he was invited to speak at? Shutting down someone else's speech seems wrong when they were invited to speak, even if you don't agree with their views.
Milo has used these speeches to insult specific students at these institutions. It's not about his views. It's about him being a gigantic cunt.

I mean, I doubt you will ever get rid of fascism.
Well, yes? I suppose that's true. The fight for democratic ideals and the fight against fascism will never end. The avenue to provide a bulwark against fascism to weave distrust of fascist, populist and authoritarian rhetoric back into the very fabric of our nation. Civic education needs a serious overhaul.

This is happening in many of his stops. The "protests" are out of control. Why has it escalated to this level? Even if you think his views are wrong does that mean it's ok to riot to stop him from speaking at a place he was invited to speak at? Shutting down someone else's speech seems wrong when they were invited to speak, even if you don't agree with their views.

it escalated because we live in a country that has allowed people like Steve fucking Bannon to take control over it. It escalated because people don't see it through the lens of "just another opinion" they see it through the lens of "these people see us as sub human and are now in power and growing".

Since you insist on calling this a free speech issue, I'd like for you to show me the government persecution that Milo has faced as a result of his hateful rhetoric.

Milo's going to be making money either way, but at least these protests will show other campuses and school groups what will happen if they keep letting people like Milo speak at these places.

Brakke

Banned
Anyone can help me understand "antifa"? Where did that term come from? Is that an actual thing? Do people take that mantle themselves?

Dweebo

Banned
Not a fan of Milo but I feel this will weigh in his favor after the media coverage. I believe he does Q&A at some point, or at least in a couple videos I've seen of his speeches so why not try and shut him down in a debate versus throwing fireworks and such?

PopeReal

"Hey guys why do you react to Nazi hate speech? You hate freedom? Protesting is just as bad as being a Nazi. Herp derp rinse repeat."

99nikniht

I could've said the same thing during the Boston Tea Party "You're letting the asshole British get more publicity so that their sympathizers will support them more!"

if word goes out that people keep destroying campus property then the Republican Groups in other schools are going to think twice about inviting Milo, and they'll start having to show accountability for their decisions

Come on, now you're just being dishonest. The Boston Tea Party incident was an act of oppression by the then greatest empire known to man. To say this is even comparable is just silly.
Also the destruction of property is likely to be from the local anarchist group or some other group not affiliated with the campus. You're could be right that it sends out a message to other schools in allowing Milo on campus to speak, but we'll see if that will be the outcome in the future.

If you're a free speech advocate, then that means you support protests shutting down the feasibility for a person to espouse their views, because opposition to certain messages is also free speech.

If you think these protests are wrong, then you are not a free speech advocate. You're an advocate for the propagation of hate speech.

Hate speech is free speech.

Eugene Volokh:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wa...hate-speech-exception-to-the-first-amendment/

A pretty good list of supreme Court cases:

http://civilliberty.about.com/od/freespeech/tp/Hate-Speech-Cases.htm

It looks like there was a serious danger to public safety so the campus definitely had the right to cancel the speech tonight, but no one can seriously make the argument he has no right to even be scheduled at a taxpayer funded university in good faith.

Crayon

The more the I think about it, these protests are just giving Milo and his crew more attention...they love this.

I think we're doing exactly what these guys want.

There has to be a better way to handle this.

Think about our situation here. Things are going to happen that have no good outcome. Lots of things.

SwolBro

Banned
Milo's going to be making money either way, but at least these protests will show other campuses and school groups what will happen if they keep letting people like Milo speak at these places.

there were enough students at the university that wanted him to speak and he should have been allowed to speak regardless if people are offended.

if you continue down this road when will it stop? anyone can be offended, therefore everyone can be denied to speak if enough people are "bothered" by it.

this wasn't just protest, this was violent protesting enough to get someone canceled. this sends a terrible message.

PopeReal

Come on, now you're just being dishonest. The Boston Tea Party incident was an act of oppression by the then greatest empire known to man. To say this is even comparable is just silly.
Also the destruction of property is likely to be from the local anarchist group or some other group not affiliated with the campus. You're could be right that it sends out a message to other schools in allowing Milo on campus to speak, but we'll see if that will be the outcome in the future.

Lecture concern police.

Not a fan of Milo but I feel this will weigh in his favor after the media coverage. I believe he does Q&A at some point, or at least in a couple videos I've seen of his speeches so why not try and shut him down in a debate versus throwing fireworks and such?

because if other campuses and groups start catching wind of Milo being allowed to spread his hateful rhetoric then he'll start to get normalized and people who share his views will become more emboldened

The Kree

Banned

Richard Spencer be like: I hate Jews and I think they should be exterminated.

Everybody else be like: You should treat people with dignity and respect.

If you genuinely think both of these viewpoints deserve equal consideration, you might have a learning disability or something.

Deepwater

Hate speech is free speech.

Eugene Volokh:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wa...hate-speech-exception-to-the-first-amendment/

A pretty good list of supreme Court cases:

http://civilliberty.about.com/od/freespeech/tp/Hate-Speech-Cases.htm

It looks like there was a serious danger to public safety so the campus definitely had the right to cancel the speech tonight, but no one can seriously make the argument he has no right to even be scheduled at a taxpayer funded university in good faith.

If he comes to the university to specifically target and harass individual students of that university, then yeah, you can make that argument.

Dai101

Banned

wh50Afw.jpg

"Just a difference on opinion" I bet that's the translation

And this is how you deal with them

EqgvG8n.gif

Then what is your solution? Talking to people like Milo and his supporters doesn't work. How do you solve this when his unchecked rhetoric bolsters violence against the marginalized?

The solution is to give them as little attention as possible. If you can't ban them, don't give them any more attention. They've managed to weasel their way into this society and there's no easy way to get rid of them. Remind you of any other extremist groups?

The amount of news vans and helicopters I saw here around noon was sick. They were hoping for something like this and the protestors played right into their hands.

Biske

Free speech isnt the same as saying whatever you want to whoever you want, wherever you want.

Some people won't want to deal with your shit.

The government isn't stopping Milo from speaking freely.

Lol @ you too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom