• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Milo Yiannopoulos's UC Berkeley speech cancelled due to protests, campus on lockdown

Status
Not open for further replies.

rjinaz

Is this the kind of shit you let fester when your politicians are too fucking weakwilled to employ some actual laws against hate speech?

I'm a white man and quite frankly all these minorities just need to grow a thicker skin! /s

These same people will throw a terrible tantrum if a young Black girl calls them a "White boy" at a diner, or dares to insinuate they are racist. I know, I used to be one of them until I started using the gray matter inside my head.

PopeReal

Good job people who set stuff on fire and got this speech canceled.
Now Yiannopolis was given air time on Fox News.

My mom watches Fox News.
She didn't know who this douche was before tonight.
Now she does, and because it was someplace friendly to Yiannopolis like Fox, now she thinks he's a "nice boy who just wants to talk and those mean protesters are stifling the first ammendment."

Good fucking job. You just gave the jackhole a bigger microphone for his message.
If you just would have let him give his little speech and protest without burning the fucking place down, he would have spoken to a room of like minded individuals and wouldn't have made it on a giant news network to expand his hate speech.

Good job.
Fucking great.
Keep burning stuff down.
It's really helping ... Really.

Lolol

You should only be mad at your mom and Nazi fuckboys.

Siegcram

My mom watches Fox News.
Now she does, and because it was someplace friendly to Yiannopolis like Fox, now she thinks he's a "nice boy who just wants to talk and those mean protesters are stifling the first ammendment."

Good fucking job. You just gave the jackhole a bigger microphone for his message.
If you just would have let him give his little speech and protest without burning the fucking place down, he would have spoken to a room of like minded individuals and wouldn't have made it on a giant news network to expand his hate speech.

Good job.
Fucking great.
Keep burning stuff down.
Don't blame the protestors for your mom's ignorance.

And he's already been on national news multiple times.

eggandI

Banned

My mom watches Fox News.

Good job.
Fucking great.
Keep burning stuff down.

Were you in a video game induced coma for the last 8 years or something? People like Milo didn't spring up overnight. They were ignored for years and years and they still got really popular.

Dai101

Banned

My mom watches Fox News.

Good job.
Fucking great.
Keep burning stuff down.

Why you blame your mom stupidity on others?

SURGEdude

My mom watches Fox News.

If you just would have let him give his little speech and protest without burning the fucking place down, he would have spoken to a room of like minded individuals and wouldn't have made it on a giant news network to expand his hate speech. But this shit isn't ever gonna be fine with everyone.

Good job.
Fucking great.
Keep burning stuff down.

Be fair, the left isn't a single individual, or small group. Putting anything on Gaf as a whole isn't reasonable

None of us did anything you've described. I've made my unpopular opinion clear on the last page but it doesn't matter.

If Milo got more press, that's shit, and the people who pushed back might need to re-evaluate their strategy.

My mom watches Fox News.

Good job.
Fucking great.
Keep burning stuff down.

Instead of blaming other people for your mother's ignorance, you could help dispel it

My mom watches Fox News.

Good job.
Fucking great.
Keep burning stuff down.
Your mom was always going to support someone like Milo. She watches Fox News. Sean Hannity does an ass-to-mouth with alt-right every night. Keep dreaming.

Deepwater

My mom watches Fox News.

Good job.
Fucking great.
Keep burning stuff down.

This sounds like a pretty roundabout way to not be accountable for ya momma

SwolBro

Banned
This was a protest that turned to property damage. That is a problem.

Prior to that, there is no problem.

Speech is speech and protest counts as speech. You can decry the eventual violence. You lack any room to decry the protest itself. If a civil protest leads to his speaking engagement being cancelled, that's speech working as intended.
Yeah, prior to that there was no problem.

I don't think he should be canceled.

Tell everyone how to protest the right way. You seem to hold all the answers.
Peacefully.

This is not a zero sum game. People protested, some got carried away. That did not invalidate the protest. If a Nazi cockroach like Milo gets to speak, expect a really strong reaction from people.
No, the protest was not invalidated just the fact that he was canceled because of safety concerns is the problem.

If the alt-right starts doing this at every one of the speaking events they have a problem with that results in cancelation what are you going to say? It's a bad can of worms to open.

The Kree

Banned

My mom watches Fox News.

Good job.
Fucking great.
Keep burning stuff down.

I didn't know neocon fanfiction was a thing until just now.

zedge

This was a protest that turned to property damage. That is a problem.

Prior to that, there is no problem.

Speech is speech and protest counts as speech. You can decry the eventual violence. You lack any room to decry the protest itself. If a civil protest leads to his speaking engagement being cancelled, that's speech working as intended.
I agree. But I think it was the violence that lead to it being cancelled; not the protest.

My mom watches Fox News.

Good job.
Fucking great.
Keep burning stuff down.

It's okay to be frustrated with your parents.

My mom watches Fox News.

Good job.
Fucking great.
Keep burning stuff down.
Ah yes, blame the protestors who are making your mom aware of this dude, and not why your mom watches Fox News in the first place where he has shown up multiple times. He has shown up in most news networks in interviews (BBC, Sky News, loads more).

milo-Gutfield.png

Cartman86

Banned
Were you in a video game induced coma for the last 8 years or something? People like Milo didn't spring up overnight. They were ignored for years and years and they still got really popular.

Video games couldn't even be an excuse in this case considering how prominent he was in that area as well.

sphagnum

Banned

My mom watches Fox News.

Good job.
Fucking great.
Keep burning stuff down.

How about you educate your mother?

there were enough students at the university that wanted him to speak and he should have been allowed to speak regardless if people are offended.

if you continue down this road when will it stop? anyone can be offended, therefore everyone can be denied to speak if enough people are "bothered" by it.

this wasn't just protest, this was violent protesting enough to get someone canceled. this sends a terrible message.

No, it sends a fantastic message: hate speech has no place in a college campus.

Crayon

My mom watches Fox News.

Good job.
Fucking great.
Keep burning stuff down.

Nephtes you are so backwards.

Milo is has been in the news for months. And now you think it's protesters and rioters in berkeley tonight that caused your mom to like milo.

No, the protest was not invalidated just the fact that he was canceled because of safety concerns is the problem.

If the alt-right starts doing this at every one of the speaking events they have a problem with that results in cancelation what are you going to say? It's a bad can of worms to open.
Good. That piece of shit should be absolutely concerned for his safety. This is the correct way of dealing with Nazis

punch.gif

Mawnster

My mom watches Fox News.

Good job.
Fucking great.
Keep burning stuff down.

Or you could tell your mother to stop watching that garbage Fox News and maybe explain to her who Milo really is instead of letting her believe he's a 'nice boy'. Don't blame other people for this shit. Not to mention this guy has been on the news for months.

Ignoring the bully does nothing. You guys have one as the fucking president.

If you're a free speech advocate, then that means you support protests shutting down the feasibility for a person to espouse their views, because opposition to certain messages is also free speech.

If you think these protests are wrong, then you are not a free speech advocate. You're an advocate for the propagation of hate speech.

Totally agreed.

Isotropy

I've been keeping tabs on his Facebook follower numbers.

Every time something like this happens, his numbers explode. He even released a video sometime back on how to beat him - act like he isn't there.

I understand the arguments against that but seeing this blow up, and the continuing ballooning of his profile, I can't help but think he's right.

Have any minds been changed, or have more people who didn't know about Milo but may be sympathetic to his views now been exposed to him?

The Berkeley College Republicans were always crazy. I mean you have to be crazy to be a hardcore Republican in Berkeley. Inviting Milo to the birthplace of the Free Speech Movement was crazy town, there's no way they didn't expect this to happen.

Nephtes

This sounds like a pretty roundabout way to not be accountable for ya momma

Yeah, great, now I had to take time out of my busy Overwatch schedule to explain Neo-Nazis and you can't believe everything you see on Fox News to my parents... That was a fun talk.

Or you know... We could protest without burning stuff... Peacefully.
Like Gandhi or MLK Jr...

The idea that if we just ignore them they'll go away is absurd. We have a serious problem with young radicalized white men. Do you think Dylan Roof came out of nowhere? Do you think that what radicalized him was "paying too much attention"?

"Don't read the comments" has lead us (or at least, well-meaning white people) to believe the nasty things on the internet are only on the internet, but this shit has been brewing for years.

PopeReal

It is so easy to be a Nazi when you have GAF middle man and lecture concern police scolding everyone for having to put up with their racist hate filled bullshit.

hawk2025

Yeah, great, now I had to take time out of my busy Overwatch schedule to explain Neo-Nazis and you can't believe everything you see on Fox News to my parents... That was a fun talk.

Like Gandhi or MLK Jr...

Oh no, not your Overwatch time!

Chumley

Banned

My mom watches Fox News.

Good job.
Fucking great.
Keep burning stuff down.

Tell your Mom to stop watching Fox instead of blaming the protestors.

Like Gandhi or MLK Jr...

Gandhi burned clothes made in England in a public disobedience protest. Went to jail several times.

PopeReal

Like Gandhi or MLK Jr...

Ok you are joking.

eggandI

Banned

Like Gandhi or MLK Jr...

This kind of manchild thought process and overall weakness is frankly fucking disgusting to me

Like Gandhi or MLK Jr...
Oh no, your busy overwatch schedule.

You know what dude, just go back to Gaming side and let your mom keep watching Fox.

Bronx-Man

Banned
"Ugh, I was gonna light up some skrubs with Roadhog's ult but I now have to talk to people about social issues fuck my liiiiiiiiiiiiiiife"

Magus1234

Glad it shut down, but it is a bitter sweet victory. People seem to love cheering the Nazi getting punched, I wonder if people would feel the same for Milo? Or if someone shot him, it makes you think.

Alavard

Like Gandhi or MLK Jr...

Yeah, wow, that seems like a real tragedy that happened to you. How will you ever cope?

Nephtes

Tell your Mom to stop watching Fox instead of blaming the protestors.

I'm not blaming the protestors, I'm blaming people who got violent and started large fires and got this media attention.

And good luck stopping people here watching Fox News.
This is the deep south.
Old people here subsist off Fox News and Rush Limbaugh.

Nothing I'm going to say is going to change that.

Like Gandhi or MLK Jr...

Busy Overwatch schedule lol.

You think people considered MLK Jr peaceful? People in the majority hated his disruptive protests. HATED.

greycolumbus

The success of others absolutely infuriates me.

Like Gandhi or MLK Jr...

jfc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom