• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft Multiplayer thread of building with a buddy then lighting him on fire

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
TheNiX said:
Somehow I'd imaging the TNT/Gunpowder being a strain on the server when destroying tons of land at once.
I did too, then I destroyed an area the size of original Gaf dome in a matter of 3 seconds, and the server didn't lag. But by then there was only 3 people total, and the game didn't have to worry about water physics this time since it didn't breach the sea.

Most likely if there was more people on when I set it off, it would of lagged.

iron pick-axe/axe/shovel essentially,
Iron? Nonsince, go right for the diamonds!

But I think most of us have agreed once item maintenance is activated, we are just going to leave torches and wood to be spawned, and even then we may just get rid of the item spawning totally.

Doodlebug

K2Valor said:
Are you trying to connect to the servers in the OP? Those ones aren't the ones we're using. Use the one further down, Oatmeal's server.

That might have something to do with me being unable to connect. Thank you.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Aight, I messed around, just a tad. Started to building some sort of bridge over the water, from one landmass to another.

Was there a sthing to use to see the overall map? How do you shovel throw the, what I assume is, Iron? What do you do to place blocks on a horizontal plane, but elevated? I.E. Bridgebuilding between posts/towers?

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
Please keep in mind GAF -

It is one thing to spawn glass because we can't make it. Or torches for light. Or other unobtainable resources (cloth, for example) for visuals. (neogaf logo for example).

It is another thing to spawn adimantium and make a house, or water and make a water mountain. (no hard feelings, just saying :p )

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
K2Valor said:
Please keep in mind GAF -

It is one thing to spawn glass because we can't make it. Or torches for light. Or other unobtainable resources (cloth, for example) for visuals. (neogaf logo for example).

It is another thing to spawn adimantium and make a house, or water and make a water mountain. (no hard feelings, just saying :p )
I have hard feelings for Bedrock house. I will admit it was fun trying to cap water mountain.

Spl1nter

furnaces dont seem to work am I right? So do we need to use spawn commands to get stuff that we would otherwise use furnaces for?

I vote for turning spawn items off.

It's just too easy. The cool thing about mining is that it's a combination of gathering resources + discovering new areas.

But now you can just spawn whatever you want.

People are building unrealistic structures, like towers made of diamonds&gold.

My 2 cts

perryfarrell said:

It's just too easy. The cool thing about mining is that it's a combination of gathering resources + discovering new areas.

But now you can just spawn whatever you want.

People are building unrealistic structures, like towers made of diamonds&gold.

My 2 cts

I agree. I'd even suggest starting on a brand new map come time for some less buggy SMP servers.

Spl1nter said:
furnaces dont seem to work am I right? So do we need to use spawn commands to get stuff that we would otherwise use furnaces for?

Yeah, at the moment that's the only way to do it (although the admin can spawn a working furnace)

perryfarrell said:

I think that's the idea once everything's working properly - but at the moment we need spawn items for glass, brick and other furnace made items.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
I am STRONGLY against the idea of item spawning of any kind and I won't be playing on (or supporting on GAF) any forum where it is enabled.

I think it's not a huge problem for now since everyone is just kind of poking around and waiting for MP to be more fleshed out.

But when MP is more complete and we decide to get "serious" about Multiplayer, any server that has things built or mined via spawned items will need to have its world wiped clean to have a place in any official GAF community.

The whole point is that the big construction projects need to be earned. If you can spawn the tools and materials at will it is no longer impressive.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
You know, I say just screw glass and all the other stuff. I think just let people spawn diamond tools and set them loose, but even then, we were handling just fine without the spawning. Sure, the tools before were spawned, but the matterasls in the bulk of gaf's buildings were carved out from ground. Heck, I don't think anything major has been made since Item Spawning was turned on, since it didn't get activated till 2AM EST. So maybe we should just turn it off again.

Teleporting is nice though, have a few people and you get disconnected, you can teliport back to the group. I do think /home may be a bit broken, hand carving a path back to base is much more rewarding.

Poetaster

Banned
So I've decided to turn what I've been working on into a dinosaur.
1624k6.jpg

Minecraft%20-%20Dinosaur.jpg

I'll never finish this by myself so if anyone wants to work on it feel free.

GDJustin said:
I am STRONGLY against the idea of item spawning of any kind and I won't be playing on (or supporting on GAF) any forum where it is enabled.

I think it's not a huge problem for now since everyone is just kind of poking around and waiting for MP to be more fleshed out.

But when MP is more complete and we decide to get "serious" about Multiplayer, any server that has things built or mined via spawned items will need to have its world wiped clean to have a place in any official GAF community.

The whole point is that the big construction projects need to be earned. If you can spawn the tools and materials at will it is no longer impressive.
You don't think there's anything impressive about making nice looking structures in creative mode? It's still an insane amount of work, although easier and less restraining than regular mode.

I've abused the shit out of the spawning system for my secret base, but it's very much implied that the item spawning will be turned off when MP is working.

Can I make a request? For the official server can we disallow the whole "writing your name in the sky" thing? Not that I have a HUGE problem against it, I just think its a lil corny and I don't want the world to be filled with a buncha flying name banners.

Pinko Marx said:
Can I make a request? For the official server can we disallow the whole "writing your name in the sky" thing? Not that I have a HUGE problem against it, I just think its a lil corny and I don't want the world to be filled with a buncha flying name banners.

Code:
     ___   _____   _____    _____   _____   _____  
    /   | /  ___| |  _  \  | ____| | ____| |  _  \ 
   / /| | | |     | |_| |  | |__   | |__   | | | | 
  / / | | | |  _  |  _  /  |  __|  |  __|  | | | | 
 / /  | | | |_| | | | \ \  | |___  | |___  | |_| | 
/_/   |_| \_____/ |_|  \_\ |_____| |_____| |_____/

2Crisis

Pinko Marx said:

I think most if it stems from signs not working, at least that's the only reason I put '2C' on the base of my tower.

ant_

Pinko Marx said:
I agree. Even though I did it at one point, without names things look much better

SalsaShark said:
I have no idea what this is, but i wanna join.

Can someone sum it up for me ?

Might wanna check out the official thread in the gaming section.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=401027&page=36

Basically you're given a randomly generated world to play around in. You mine, build, and generally just fuck around. The fun comes from the unknown (for me at least); enemies spawn at night and in dark places. So mining deep underground is a dangerous, but very rewarding affair.

kai3345

Banned
Some screens from my friend's server

My beach house

40274_1557435781472_1402571057_31569825_2054505_n.jpg

that they decided to blow up while I was gone! :'(

40274_1557435821473_1402571057_31569826_564145_n.jpg

40274_1557435861474_1402571057_31569827_7974672_n.jpg

our world

38857_1556939529066_1402571057_31568990_975228_n.jpg

the capital

before pimpage

buttebuilding.png

and after

38721_142448755776278_100000334624702_276474_3525401_n.jpg

looking for diamonds

40687_1555402010629_1402571057_31564586_6069590_n.jpg

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
:/ I think Oatmeal took the server down. Sure, I was the only one on, but I was making a small glass area under the giant bridge/gun thing pointing at the believe letters.

Max

I am not Max
Drkirby said:
:/ I think Oatmeal took the server down. Sure, I was the only one on, but I was making a small glass area under the giant bridge/gun thing pointing at the believe letters.
Whenever I join it just stays at a black screen, doesn't even time out :/

OatmealMu

Ran into crashing issues. Tried reverting back to the original server files but it's still unstable. Hard to say, man. Hard to say.

Dragmire

I quit playing online because I keep freezing just after I gather the right tools to build stuff. Anyone else have freezing problems?

Ashodin

Yeah after building all that stuff on Oatmeal's server I'm gonna take a break and play SP for a while (but I will still broadcast a stream from time to time so you can check out my leet stuffs).

ant_

Maxrpg said:
Yeah after building all that stuff on Oatmeal's server I'm gonna take a break and play SP for a while (but I will still broadcast a stream from time to time so you can check out my leet stuffs).
You will leave GAF house unfinished like that? :(

_Bro

Banned
So is anybody up for making something similar to Goon Tower? I'm going to hop on and try to get something started. Not sure what limitations would be, not sure if I should bother thinking about them if it doesn't take off.

Craftin' time.

Firehead

Say, Max, you might wanna come check out your thing in a bit... some person decided to ruin my water shrine thing ):

Ashodin

K2Valor said:
You will leave GAF house unfinished like that? :(
It's not necessarily unfinished - it is serviceable as is - I just agree with the sentiments of others about the quality of multi right now - I enjoy building stuff with everyone, but without a sense of danger or survival feeling into it, it's just creative mode. And I'd rather not exhaust my ideas on something unfinished until we have something more concrete to play around in (with rules and everything). I want to go on group raiding underground, baiting and switching mobs into their deaths.

Ferrio

Banned
Tempy said:
Waiting for server to go back up....
I wonder if someone will steal my door again.

Just so you know doors don't work properly in multi. They'll open only for the person who made them... until you log out then no one can open the damn thing. Well technically youc an "open" them... but it won't let you walk through.

Top Bottom