• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft Multiplayer thread of building with a buddy then lighting him on fire

Firehead

Here's an online/offline indicator for my server:
hb.php
- 74.182.162.234:27015
Edit: Well, that didn't work properly. :/

Rapstah

Firehead said:
Here's an online/offline indicator for my server:
hb.php
- 74.182.162.234:27015
Edit: Well, that didn't work properly. :/
FCQAm.png

I'm not sure if this will actually change though :lol

Firehead

Just an update for my server: There's only one spawn-able item, and that's a working furnace. Dunno why people want to spawn all the items at once, this isn't creative mode...

Firehead said:
Just an update for my server: There's only one spawn-able item, and that's a working furnace. Dunno why people want to spawn all the items at once, this isn't creative mode...
Well since there's no way yet of saving any items when you go offline, whether they be player held or in a chest, it seems pointless of going to the effort to get valuable items. For example you could spend a couple of hours on a mining expedition to get diamonds, but it seems a waste of time if your newly made diamond pickaxe can simply disappear.

OgTheClever said:
Well since there's no way yet of saving any items when you go offline, whether they be player held or in a chest, it seems pointless of going to the effort to get valuable items. For example you could spend a couple of hours on a mining expedition to get diamonds, but it seems a waste of time if your newly made diamond pickaxe can simply disappear.

Well you can smelt smooth stone instead of using that horrible ass cobblestone for everything.

OatmealMu

FYI, the server's going to be shut down every night at 12:00 AM CST. It'll be reopened at around 12:00 PM CST, but don't hold me to it.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
OatmealMu said:
FYI, the server's going to be shut down every night at 12:00 AM CST. It'll be reopened at around 12:00 PM CST, but don't hold me to it.
So soon. Can't you set it to auto shut down at like 2AM CST instead, I don't get off of work till 9:45 CST most nights :/

Poetaster said:
So I've decided to turn what I've been working on into a dinosaur.
1624k6.jpg

Minecraft%20-%20Dinosaur.jpg

I'll never finish this by myself so if anyone wants to work on it feel free.
I've been trying to help with this, but I have no idea what the dimensions are supposed to be. I'm the guy who built the staircase up and the strange outward dirt patch. Maybe you could draw up a the dimensions, or at least build a sort of outline for everyone to fill in.

Poetaster

Banned
PillowKnight said:
I've been trying to help with this, but I have no idea what the dimensions are supposed to be. I'm the guy who built the staircase up and the strange outward dirt patch. Maybe you could draw up a the dimensions, or at least build a sort of outline for everyone to fill in.
What I wanted to do was take the ground down all around it so I could build the body there and keep the neck really long. But now there's a pathway right by the neck and a sand pyramid behind it so that's not going to be possible. Guess I'll just have to move it over some. :lol

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Can't wait for the sheep to come in, so I can make an authentic White Pyramid next to the Yellow one.

Poetaster said:
What I wanted to do was take the ground down all around it so I could build the body there and keep the neck really long. But now there's a pathway right by the neck and a sand pyramid behind it so that's not going to be possible. Guess I'll just have to move it over some. :lol
Or integrate the pyramid into its design! (With permission) It could be a dinosaur that ate a pyramid.

Poetaster

Banned
PillowKnight said:
Or integrate the pyramid into its design! (With permission) It could be a dinosaur that ate a pyramid.
I'll have to take a look at the space and figure something out, I'm worried about the ground collapsing and ruining that thing. Maybe the tail could curl to the side so we wouldn't have to take the ground down back that far.

OatmealMu

SERVER: Gafland
ADDRESS: oatmealmu.dyndns.org

Here's what's in store for tomorrow's server upgrade:

Automated map backup
It's just as it sounds. Map will automatically be backed twice a day. Countdown will let players know what's up. Requires server restart.

Working buckets
You can has a bucket. Use it.

Colored names
A splash of color.

Reworked kits
Removed glass kit since glass can now be smelted. Renamed basic kit to "starter". Starter kit now has flint & steel for lighting furnaces.

Furnaces
Here's how they work:

2hekr42.jpg

They can be relit and reused. Be careful, though. If you open and close the furnace's inventory while the fire's out, all items inside are lost. If you do happen to walk away while smelting and the fire goes out, make sure to take out all of the items before relighting the furnace.

SERVER COMMANDS:

!commands
Lists server commands.
!who
Lists players on server.
!rules
Lists server rules.
!kits
Lists available item kits.
!kit <kit name> <player name>
Gives player item kit. Substitute <kit name> for the name of the kit name and <player name> for your name.
Example: !kit starter A$$MA$TER1995

PillowKnight said:
Well I'm still building the Pyramid at the moment, maybe when I get to a point where it feels like too much work to make it bigger we can consider integrating the monuments.

mandiller said:
So....do we have an official NeoGaf server? The ones in the OP don't work.
Firehead's and Oatmeal's servers are both offline right now but they're usually online most days. Hopefully they'll be up some time soon.

Firehead

Yeah, my server was down for a few hours. Was upgrading drivers and what-not. Should be working again.
Prophet Steve said:
Do any of the servers work?
Oatmeal stated
OatmealMu said:

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
OgTheClever said:
Well I'm still building the Pyramid at the moment, maybe when I get to a point where it feels like too much work to make it bigger we can consider integrating the monuments.
So I take it I shouldn't of built a stair case leading to the top :lol

Drkirby said:
So I take it I shouldn't of built a stair case leading to the top :lol
Only if that staircase leads to the ceiling :p
It'll probably take forever and a day to do, with all the sand mined for miles around, but that's how big I want the pyramid to be. I can dream :(

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
OgTheClever said:
Only if that staircase leads to the ceiling :p
It'll probably take forever and a day to do, with all the sand mined for miles around, but that's how big I want the pyramid to be. I can dream :(
Are you the one who flattened the mountain near it? And I hope my Glass > Wood > Cobble > Dirt Pyramid that I encased oatmeal in while he was idle in the area doesn't get in your way.

Drkirby said:
Are you the one who flattened the mountain near it? And I hope my Glass > Wood > Cobble > Dirt Pyramid that I encased oatmeal in while he was idle in the area doesn't get in your way.
The damn pyramid started from within a mountain, I just gradually dug my way out. The only reason I started there was so that there would be enough room to finish it, although worryingly, new constructions have started appearing nearby.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
I'm back from my trip... what needs to be added to the OP? Keep in mind I frown upon servers that allow for item spawning.

Firehead

GDJustin said:
I'm back from my trip... what needs to be added to the OP? Keep in mind I frown upon servers that allow for item spawning.
Mind updating the name of my server to just "Firehead's test server"? It only allows one spawned item - a working furnace. And you get a maximum of two

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
GDJustin said:
I would swap Filipe's and Oatmeals server. I don't think I have even seen Filipe's server online.

Also, AusGaf has a server, but you may have to do a bit of leg work to find out what it is.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Max said:
Did backing up the map files shut down the server or something? :<
Yeah. Plus, he said he was turning off the server for the night once he finished backing up. Its why I didn't bother to log back in during my last crash :/

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
GDJustin said:
Updated the OP with the latest servers, Brazil's sweet banner, etc.
Also, in the meantime, strike out rule #3, I don't think a single part of it actually works right now.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Well, it will work soon enough. The rules are really just a draft since we don't have an official server anyway, and since SMP is so rough around the edges.

My thinking was that we would (at least try) to have a server where everything is communal, everyone shares, storage is very organized, and we work TOGETHER to build unified structures.

And then, besides that, anyone else can run semi-official GAF servers where our list of rules may or may not be followed. These all can have a home in the OP.

Once SMP is more complete I won't link to servers that allow for item spawning in the OP, though. In my eyes it's cheating. It's cool for now since SMP is so broken.

superbank

The definition of front-butt.
What works and what doesn't work should definitely be clarified in the OP. Anytime someone new comes into a server everything needs to be explained again. "What, signs don't work?" At least put a little parenthesis note by #3.

edit: Thanks for changing it GD. :)

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
BakugekiNZ said:
Good work today guys, that mountain will be gone soon enough :D
Yep. Then I can make my tiny house with a big lawn surounded by mountains. It will have trees, some flowers, a nice green lawn, and maybe a swimming pool. I may even put in a little garden if there is enough room.

If only I could put a white picket fence around it, then I could live 1950's America's Dream.

Drkirby said:
Yep. Then I can make my tiny house with a big lawn surounded by mountains. It will have trees, some flowers, a nice green lawn, and maybe a swimming pool. I may even put in a little garden if there is enough room.

If only I could put a white picket fence around it, then I could live 1950's America's Dream.
If you're concerned about aesthetics then create one out of bamboo/papyrus, although if it's to stop intruders then make a fence of cactus.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Good fun tonight, finished the wood paneling to the hut I was making just before the server went down.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Good fun tonight, I wish this topic was as active as the game was. You wouldn't know the server always had 8+ people on it :lol

Since someone else finished cutting down my mountain, I moved my wood stash to Oat's Wood Storage room, and started digging a tunnel near the warehouse. Got a decent amount of stuff, made 2 diamond block, 2 Iron Block, and 1 Gold block out of all the stuff I dug up. Would of had a bunch more Iron if Pillowknight didn't cause me to die :(

Top Bottom