• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Haunted said:
Oh you're so boring. I make it a point to not mine coal until the second day. Spending one night cowering in fear is part of the initiation into a newly rolled world! :eek:

Okay my first night:

2j67d68.jpg

3x3 unlit Minibuilding ... under Ice :D

epmode

Toma said:
Exiting by saving works. If you close the game without saving you keep stuff in inventory but the world is being reset. Confirmed in my world.
What I mean is that the game crashes on me without an error message. The window just closes.

Might have something to do with me being in full-screen mode... but I've had it happen a handful of times already.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
epmode said:
What I mean is that the game crashes on me without an error message. The window just closes.

Might have something to do with me being in full-screen mode... but I've had it happen a handful of times already.

No crash yet, no. Sorry. And I havent read from others with crashes yet. Already tried downloading the most recent version?

Toma

Does anyone know how many tiles away a torch needs to be from ice so it doesnt melt?

Uhg. I don't know how many of you are venturing into the Nether heavily at all, but there are some annoying things. For some reason my nether gates have a tendency to go out so that I can't get out of the nether. I was on my way back with 20+ gold dust and there was no active portal, so I just ended up dying.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
AbortedWalrusFetus said:
Uhg. I don't know how many of you are venturing into the Nether heavily at all, but there are some annoying things. For some reason my nether gates have a tendency to go out so that I can't get out of the nether. I was on my way back with 20+ gold dust and there was no active portal, so I just ended up dying.

Yeah, ghasts' bombs will knock those out. Honestly, I spent too much time dying in the Nether before realizing there is nothing to do there at this point. Instead, I'm out checking out the biomes and running away from packs of creepers.

Life is better in the sun...

AbortedWalrusFetus said:

Why didn't you just relight it?

When you die in the nether you lose all of your stuff. I don't feel like making another flint and steel every time I die :\

I've been bringing like stone picks and that's in with me.

owlbeak

AbortedWalrusFetus said:
When you die in the nether you lose all of your stuff. I don't feel like making another flint and steel every time I die :\
Is that confirmed or is it just the bug? If you die right now in the regular world, all your stuff vanishes as well.

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
funkmastergeneral said:
Man my smp server is an absolute mess with the update. Hell zones are appearing randomly throughout the map.

that sounds awesome, Find any ghast? :lol :lol

Still havent gone to the nether myself as im too afraid to atm, dont want to lose my stuff.

owlbeak

AbortedWalrusFetus said:
Really? I didn't die in the regular world. Must be a bug. Either way it's a real pain.
Yeah it's a confirmed bug. Notch said he was fixing it tonight and then there was an update to the game client, but the bug is still there.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Oh God, I am seriously uncomfortable with the noises the Ghasts make. :( I'm cowering in a trench in the Nether now and all I can hear are them making their weird little noises and screaming blue murder whenever one gets set on fire.

I killed one and it didn't drop anything, but maybe I was too far away to see it? Another one killed me straight away anyway.

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
SovanJedi said:
Oh God, I am seriously uncomfortable with the noises the Ghasts make. :( I'm cowering in a trench in the Nether now and all I can hear are them making their weird little noises and screaming blue murder whenever one gets set on fire.

I killed one and it didn't drop anything, but maybe I was too far away to see it? Another one killed me straight away anyway.

Yea you have to be pretty close to items to actually see them in the world. I think its like 10-15 blocks or less range to actually see a dropped item from anything.

fresquito

So I rolled my new world and haven't found any of the glitches described here. Spawning enemies seem to work just as always. Well, maybe there're more creeper spawning, but I vividly remember a lot of creepers in my first games, like two months ago. So maybe it's that I used to my secure fortress and forgot how annoying these can be.

My first night I spent inside my hut, on the top of a big snow mountain. Midnight I made a hole on the roof and hopped over and put some torches. Saw some mobs here and there as the night rolled by, eventually some came by and got killed by my fancy wood sword. A new day began and I saw a creeper abroad. Didn't care about him. Then fell off a cliff and died. I did some things before second night. Tried the same thing, but a nasty skeleton came by and forced me to enter my hut. Next day morning he was gone.

One thing I've noticed is that I'm really feeling bad about mining. It never happened to me before. But this new world seems to have some life and I feel bad about corrupting its natura beauty. Then, I feel the urge to go abroad, exploring, but at the same time, I want to be safe.

It's like old Minecraft, but just improved. I'm loving it!

Blizzard

Banned
The cheerful glowing
jack-o-lanterns
make me happy. ^_^

I finally heard some new music. I'm not fond of some of it, but some is decent.

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
Having some weird issues with minecraft wanting to load and java continually crashing. Had no problems earlier today until i explored some new areas.

Edit: Minecraft wont even start now. Goes straight to a java crash.

Toma

Can someone pleeease confirm or deny whether this is safe?

2zoxd20.jpg

Just tried this for a while.. But since ice melts VERY fast at 1 block distance and a bit slower at 2 blocks distance, I fear that 3 Blocks might also melt, but slooooowly.

Blizzard

Banned
I think the safest thing for now is to make SURE you create a zip of your world save (doing this regularly is a good idea anyway, especially if you have a lot of work, and you don't have the windows 7 folder rollback feature), before you start/update/load your world in the new Minecraft. It's unfortunate, but it might save you from losing stuff. :/

And yeah, I'm guessing new worlds work better than old ones, but I think I saw someone say they still saw daylight monsters in a new world. I haven't had any indoor monsters yet in a fresh world but that could change.

nataku said:
So lanterns aren't in then huh.
Jack-o-
lanterns are in. :)

Verdre

Unconfirmed Member
AbortedWalrusFetus said:
So do biomes only work if you create a new world?

They work fine in already created worlds. You just have to venture somewhere you haven't been before, as the biomes are only generated in places you haven't visited.

BooJoh

I think the safest bet is a new world.

I loaded up some old worlds... temperate world, the grass colors varied a bit, then when I wandered to new areas, I found some snow and such.

Snow world, I wandered a bit, there was still snow everywhere but it wasn't snowing, but when I got to what used to be the edge of my world, I had a line where the mountains were sliced clean through and the ice changed to water. It was very blatant, and not very nice to look at at all.

Made a new world, and I'm loving it, spawn is in a forest area, tons of trees, but it's mountainous too. Building my base on a nearby island.

I've had the client shut down on me once without warning, but I only lost like 5 seconds of progress because I frequently hit escape to pause.

Verdre said:
They work fine in already created worlds. You just have to venture somewhere you haven't been before, as the biomes are only generated in places you haven't visited.

I didn't explore all that much of my world, but with the new release I went exploring and didn't really run into anything.

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
AbortedWalrusFetus said:
I didn't explore all that much of my world, but with the new release I went exploring and didn't really run into anything.

Alright i explored alittle more and ive found snow biomes! so they are there just alittle bit out from your already explored areas.

Ive fixed my minecraft problems as well. Had to shut down java from task manager as it was memory leaking or something(fully updated)

mollipen

My snow world doesn't have falling snow anymore! Sorry if I've missed the answer, but is that supposed to be the norm now? Or is it going to snow off and on? If I've lost my world having a constant snowfall, I'm going to be horribly sad.

Toma

shidoshi said:
My snow world doesn't have falling snow anymore! Sorry if I've missed the answer, but is that supposed to be the norm now? Or is it going to snow off and on? If I've lost my world having a constant snowfall, I'm going to be horribly sad.

No snowfall for now if I understood correctly.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Currently digging straight up in Hell. Will let you know what I find.

Digging DOWN in hell revealed a huuuuuge open cave, with a floor of 100% lava. Only had to dig down about ~10 blocks.

Edit: Hit adminium at the top of Hell. Anti-climactic, although IDK what I expected.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Alright, so I have begun to hollow out "Awesome Hill", which lies in the "Awesome Valley". Awesome Hill is huge, and will have a labyrinth of tunnels and balconies by the time I'm done. To the northwest is my spawn, near "The Marsh Flats" and some seaside, while the northeast lies the "Wildelande", a huge forest I'm planning to explore. The awesome hills continue to the south,or the "South Awesome Hills" if you will, but I haven't checked them out much yet.

Yeah, Biomes rock.

Toma

Aaaah. Nothing better to wake up with the heartwarming rays of sunlight and some *slurp*
Wait, what?

2navg5f.jpg

Oh.

Toma

Blizzard said:
Freaking spiders, just lost half my health to the morning visitors because I messed up my battle plan. :lol

Yeah, got no battle plan yet. I have enough wood and coal for the time being. I probably will do some underwater-mining/exploring.

After some exploring I found some biomes. Particularly a desert one. For some odd reason, when I use cartograph to map my world now, it just shows a big sand area where my pre 1.2 map was. It's weird.

Belfast

funkmastergeneral said:
Man my smp server is an absolute mess with the update. Hell zones are appearing randomly throughout the map.

Ahh I see that the minor update didn't seem to fix the disappearing bug thing. I started a new world and had pretty much my entire current supply of iron tools (really, my entire supply of iron which I used to make them, too) on me. Also lost some buckets I was going to use to set up an endless water supply near the lava lake I found so I could start building portals ASAP.

Anyway, hell zones appearing randomly? Sounds freaky. I think it would be kind of cool if the Slip started spilling out into the real world if you left a portal open for too long. Like those ever-burning blocks started spreading out from where your portal is and lava pools start forming. Of course, Notch would have to let Ghasts, or at least Zombie Pigmen, come out through the portal as well, or that would make farming basic Slip material far too easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom