• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
So it didn't seem to change much... can I use the texture pack again? Or is it going to be messed up now?

Also - how do you make hell portals, Jack Lanterns? And no regular lanterns? Why?

owlbeak

I REALLY like how many mobs spawn as soon as it gets dark. I was out a ways from my base mining some coal seams that were exposed on the surface and chopping trees, etc when I saw the sky getting dark. I was hauling ass back to my base so fast, hearing groans of zombies and spiders all around.

It's awesome...and I thought night was scary before? Now you HAVE to get inside or you're dead.

owlbeak

Darknessbear said:
So it didn't seem to change much... can I use the texture pack again? Or is it going to be messed up now?

Also - how do you make hell portals, Jack Lanterns? And no regular lanterns? Why?
Actually, there are quite a few new textures - grass and leaves in particular have 3 or 4 shades of green now depending on what biome they are in, plus the new textures for the materials in hell, and the portal textures. I'd wait a day or two until updated packs come out. It shouldn't take too long.

nataku

Blizzard said:
More than it did before? I haven't had any crashes so far. I assume you're using limited FPS, non-fancy graphics?

I've never had a single crash before when playing.

Performance wise everything is fine. I just tried limited framerate and non fancy graphics and I still crash.

It seems to only happen on new worlds I generate and when I start exploring a bit to see if it's a world I want to keep.

Also, anyone else having a difficult time getting a snow area to start with? I must have generated at least 12 new worlds and haven't seen snow yet.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
nataku said:

Performance wise everything is fine. I just tried limited framerate and non fancy graphics and I still crash.

It seems to only happen on new worlds I generate and when I start exploring a bit to see if it's a world I want to keep.

Also, anyone else having a difficult time getting a snow area to start with? I must have generated at least 12 new worlds and haven't seen snow yet.

Yeah its not that usual. Just keep trying.

elrechazao said:
So I'm confused, are torches no longer permanent? Are lanterns in the game?

No changes there yet. Still the same permanent torches, no lanterns for now.

Belfast

Horsebite said:
I REALLY like how many mobs spawn as soon as it gets dark. I was out a ways from my base mining some coal seams that were exposed on the surface and chopping trees, etc when I saw the sky getting dark. I was hauling ass back to my base so fast, hearing groans of zombies and spiders all around.

It's awesome...and I thought night was scary before? Now you HAVE to get inside or you're dead.

Indeed. There are FAR more monsters spawning now.

Blizzard

Banned
The new (?) non-seeking creeper behavior is so evil, because I'll literally see a couple of them just roaming around on a little sliver of land far away. Okay, that's fine, it'll take them a while to wander near enough. Let me just go craft this stuff.

Then once I'm finally prepared, I have a bow and arrows etc., I'll come back up. Hmm.....that sliver of land is empty now. I guess they despawned? I want gunpowder but that's fine by me, I'll just start adjusting the terrain around my house to make it safer...HSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS :lol I'll never learn. At least leather is plentiful at the moment so I had armor.

I feel like the deep spooky chord sound is new...it's scary deep underground.

Vlad

Pookaki said:
Are portals all player created? Rr can they be randomly generated as well?

A little of both. I don't know if this is how they're supposed to work or not (I hope not), but when you build a portal, something odd happens. Building a portal at this moment creates one in the Nether, but leaving the Nether portal creates an entirely different portal in the overworld. So it seems that any portal you make will end up generating a random one somewhere else for the moemnt.

Blizzard

Banned
Horsebite said:
What do those musical chords represent any way? I've heard them a few times prior to this update.
At least some of the spooky sounds etc. are directional, and in almost every case it seems to mean I'm either near a big open cave (with monsters) or a dungeon. If you follow them, plus monster sounds, you'll often find something scary.

http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Minecraft_Halloween_Update has some info about the update, and http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Patch_history tries to detail updates in general.

:lol at the fishing rod article...apparently you can trigger pressure plates AND make animals fly? Those sound funny and/or useful so I hope they're left in the game.

epmode

nataku said:

Oh hay, me too! No error messages or anything!

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
Am i the only one having constant crashing before i can even get the game going? Also even if i get it to load up going to enlarge the screen is insta crash. FUCK i just want to play :(

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Okay.. 6 a.m. and I think I need some sleep. Nice to meet you new Minecraft!

magus

I started a new single player game and I died with tons of items without a corpse. I'm waiting until the patch to play =[.

CrookedRain said:
So I guess portals aren't implemented in SMP yet. I was so excited to use them in SMP :(.

I was really hoping for this. This update isn't really that impressive other than the biomes. I was really hoping for portals in SMP.

magus said:
I started a new single player game and I died with tons of items without a corpse. I'm waiting until the patch to play =[.

I was really hoping for this. This update isn't really that impressive other than the biomes. I was really hoping for portals in SMP.

The main focus of this update was single player. He had been neglecting single player for a long time since he released smp. He just said he's taking a few days off, then hes going to work on the smp application.

funkmastergeneral said:
The main focus of this update was single player. He had been neglecting single player for a long time since he released smp. He just said he's taking a few days off, then hes going to work on the smp application.

Lol take a few days off.

Plaguefox said:
It's funny because he's obviously been taking the entire month off.

GOD DAMN IT HE OWES ME A SENSE OF ENTITLEMENT. Wait isn't that how it works?

Its funny because it seems he barely worked except for the last week.

Plaguefox

Pinko Marx said:
Its funny because it seems he barely worked except for the last week.
I would love to dispute this but I have never started my own company before so I don't know what kind of braintime it takes.

wwm0nkey

Build portal, go through, go back though, destroy portal you came out of (usually only like 30 blocks away from the other one). Easiest way to get Obsidian ever.

Vlad

Haunted said:
F1 removing the HUD is new, F3 displaying lag spikes and performance isn't.

Something else interesting I noticed: If you hold F1 while in third-person mode, it not only removes the HUD but shifts the perspective to your front, allowing you to be in photos without having it be the back of your head.

2uethrr.jpg

So a server my friends and I were running got broke thanks to the update. Seems like a lot of people's multiplayer servers are breaking as well.
Ah well.

Giard

Giard said:
It doesn't seem like it...I'll take a wild guess and say that Hell won't work online. Fishing probably won't work either..

If they do I'll gladly eat crow, but I would rather have had stable MP with monsters.

Called it. :(
Still, really nice update.

Pinko Marx said:
So a server my friends and I were running got broke thanks to the update. Seems like a lot of people's multiplayer servers are breaking as well.
Ah well.

The server I'm an op on has been running pretty smoothly since we turned off the portals and anything hell related

www.meincraft.com if you're interested

Blizzard

Banned
Metalic Sand said:
I just found out possibly the most awesome thing EVER.

Trying using a fishing pole against creepers.

GET OVER HERE!
Please tell me you can send them flying into the sky. :lol

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
Blizzard said:
Please tell me you can send them flying into the sky. :lol

Somewhat. Creepers have a weight to them. You can send them flying pretty high though :lol

Edit: I just broke the physics in the game!!! :lol I went to the top floor on my castle and hooked a archer then it pulled him way up and he sort of bounced then just disappeared(Didnt die) I suppose he was moving so fast and got launched into space.

Edit 2: Fishing pole has infinite range vertically.

Mudkips

Banned
Metalic Sand said:
I just found out possibly the most awesome thing EVER.

Trying using a fishing pole against creepers.

GET OVER HERE!

I don't think it's a bug.
I did it to chickens for lulz.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Metalic Sand said:
Somewhat. Creepers have a weight to them. You can send them flying pretty high though :lol

Edit: I just broke the physics in the game!!! :lol I went to the top floor on my castle and hooked a archer then it pulled him way up and he sort of bounced then just disappeared(Didnt die) I suppose he was moving so fast and got launched into space.

Edit 2: Fishing pole has infinite range vertically.
:lol :lol

I gotta get back into this game and try this business.

BooJoh

Game just blackscreened on me. I've never had problems with crashes while playing before. Hopefully he'll iron some bugs out soon.

AtlusAram

Atlus USA Developer
I've had an alarming number of monster spawns in what had previously been, to my knowledge, well-lit enough, secured enough, parts of my fortress.

I don't feel safe in my own home anymore :-\

stressboy

AtlusAram said:
I've had an alarming number of monster spawns in what had previously been, to my knowledge, well-lit enough, secured enough, parts of my fortress.

I don't feel safe in my own home anymore :-\

Ya some of my tunnels were filled with zombies. They are pretty well lit too. I also have an underground farm and there were spiders in it.

kennah

Anyone finding that zombies and such can attack them through walls now? I've died three times to a monster that was two squares away (2 zombies, 1 spider). I've had to put it on peaceful until the inventory problem is patched. Lost lots and lots of gear so far.

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
Forgot to add that once you hook something with a fishing pole it doesnt seem to come unhooked even if you go really far away. So you can just launch stuff all crazy like, So fun!

CoolS

kennah said:
Anyone finding that zombies and such can attack them through walls now? I've died three times to a monster that was two squares away (2 zombies, 1 spider). I've had to put it on peaceful until the inventory problem is patched. Lost lots and lots of gear so far.

Awww man and I rerolled thinking my world is bugged.. The inventory bug sucks :(

Judderman

drawer by drawer
I finally got the obsidian needed to make a portal, I enter the Nether, hear strange ass noises, leave the Nether. Maybe later. :lol

aasoncott

Can someone explain what's going on with hostile mobs spawning in light? My small and really, really well-lit mine suddenly found itself host to a skeleton and two creepers. THIS WAS NOT A PLEASANT SURPRISE.

Does this mean no place is ever 100% safe anymore? Or do you just need more light to keep them away? I really hate this feeling that my home isn't safe.

aasoncott said:
Can someone explain what's going on with hostile mobs spawning in light? My small and really, really well-lit mine suddenly found itself host to a skeleton and two creepers. THIS WAS NOT A PLEASANT SURPRISE.

Does this mean no place is ever 100% safe anymore? Or do you just need more light to keep them away? I really hate this feeling that my home isn't safe.
the deeper you go, the more light is required to keep safe. notch did not specify the rate at which safety decreases so it's possible that there are depths at which spawns cant be stopped.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom