• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

owlbeak

icMUm.png

MY GOD (in this pic you don't see the 5 zombies, 2 skeletons and 3 spiders that were chasing me. I died about ~1 second after I took this.

Vlad

Since we're on a new page, and this thread's probably going to be moving fast, I'll say it again: To make a watch:
use the compass recipe, but substitue gold bars for the iron ones

owlbeak

Rapstah said:
There most definitely was another update just now.
Confirmed. Same for me.

Edit - From Notch twitter:
# I need to go sleep now. I will migrate the server ASAP, and fix the inventory/death bug. less than 20 seconds ago via web

# There are a couple of bugs, of course. I've updated both the client and the server to fix two big ones. 2 minutes ago via web

AtlusAram said:
You have two choices, I would say. Build scaffolding around what you're building/want to build. Meaning, a framework structure that lets you get up high enough and doesn't get in the way of you building a bridge or sky way or whatever.

The other, and this is actually the time consuming method I employed because I got frustrated by night time making me retreat for the night, is to start your bridge or skyway from the desired level and just creep out on the edge of your in progress bridge, just enough to be able to extend it by one row of blocks but without falling off. I fell off a couple times this way, but I was able to work through the night.

I guess the MOST efficient way would be to finish your scaffolding in a day in a manner that would allow you to work through the night, but I figured if I went down that avenue personally, with my extreme minecraft OCD, that I'd never get anything else done ever.
You know you can crouch so you can't fall from something right? If I get what you mean.

I am going to be honest here and say that I have been always playing on peaceful difficulty.

I am going to start to play on a difficulty where there are enemies now that the update has hit.

What is the difference between easy, normal and hard and what is the default one?

Also is there anything I should really know about the monsters because I don't know much about them apart from one explodes.

I feel ashamed to have been playing it on peaceful but now I want to become a man! :p

Jasoco

Banned
Toma said:
So all you can make with the gold dust is a funky glowing block?

Also, where do you find pumpkins?

Also, I did a test and built a portal in Nether next to another portal and both take you back to the same one. So I assume it's chunk based. All portals inside a chunk will take you to the same portal in the real world. I guess.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
ashbash159 said:
I am going to be honest here and say that I have been always playing on peaceful difficulty.

I am going to start to play on a difficulty where there are enemies now that the update has hit.

What is the difference between easy, normal and hard and what is the default one?

Also is there anything I should really know about the monsters because I don't know much about them apart from one explodes.

I feel ashamed to have been playing it on peaceful but now I want to become a man! :p

Zombies are cool. Skeletons, Spiders, Exploding things, Hellpigs and Ghasts will rip you a new one.

Travado

People complained that "Minecraf is easy bla bla bla", Notch heard them.

OMG, you can punch the fireballs that the Ghasts throw on you and make the projectiles hit them in return.

Rokk

Neo Member
Holy shit. I don't know why I thought that if I made a second portal in hell that I would emerge in a happy place... Or anywhere near the surface for that matter, my exit portal dumped me right ontop of a skeleton spawner in a dungeon :lol.

On a very related note, your items vanish when you die now?

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Jasoco said:
So all you can make with the gold dust is a funky glowing block?

Also, where do you find pumpkins?

Also, I did a test and built a portal in Nether next to another portal and both take you back to the same one. So I assume it's chunk based. All portals inside a chunk will take you to the same portal in the real world. I guess.

Well its been used to stockpile goods outside of treasure chests. But no idea whether there is a "real" use for it now. Does anyone know what to do with fish? Or better HOW to do it?

owlbeak

FYI - for those complaining of monsters spawning during the day and in caves with torches and such, I started a new world and haven't seen any enemies in the daytime or in my cave that is lit. In my other cave that is unlit, there are creatures.

Might be a bug with existing worlds.

owlbeak

Jasoco said:
What did the second update do? Fix some bugs?
Yeah, an inventory/death bug. If you died you would lose all your stuff, it wouldn't stay on the ground for a period of time, it just disappeared. He fixed it because that's a game breaker.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Horsebite said:
Yeah, an inventory/death bug. If you died you would lose all your stuff, it wouldn't stay on the ground for a period of time, it just disappeared. He fixed it because that's a game breaker.

Oh, good. That sucked. I lost a good set of diamond tools.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Horsebite said:
FYI - for those complaining of monsters spawning during the day and in caves with torches and such, I started a new world and haven't seen any enemies in the daytime or in my cave that is lit. In my other cave that is unlit, there are creatures.

Might be a bug with existing worlds.

I rolled a new world and was killed by a daytime creeper the first day.

Edit: Sunset had JUST started when the creeper killed me. Maybe enemies spawn a little earlier? Before it is fully dark?

Toma

stump sock said:
the inventory disappearing upon death is definitely a bug as noted by notch. hopefully that gets fixed pretty soon

Supposedly already fixed.

Toma

GDJustin said:

Might have spawned in a dark cave in that area.

mrgone

I didn't know you very well, Minecraft server, but we had some good times. Good times. I'll never forget you, Minecraft server.

fresquito

Wow, biomes was my most anticipated thing, second only to SMP health (which didn't happen), and sure it doesn't disappoint! The landscape I just generated is BEAUTIFUL.

2cxfer7.png

Now it's closed night and my hut has been built. Too bad I don't really want to mine. I just want to explore the landscape!

Dorrin

Banzaiaap said:
WTF?! Just went back through my initial portal and now I'm in another unknown cave? Seriously, what's going on. :lol

Yeah happened to me too I was eventually going to make two portals for fast travel but after just walking around for a few minutes my son and I decided to go back and it spawned a second portal in cave hollow I had been in a long time ago.. no idea whats going on there, its still there too.

owlbeak

GDJustin said:

Edit: Sunset had JUST started when the creeper killed me. Maybe enemies spawn a little earlier? Before it is fully dark?
I saw zombies spawn at sunset, so it must be as soon as the sun starts going below the horizon, or they spawned in a cave? Not sure, but I haven't seen any during broad daylight and nothing in my torchlit cave.

Toma

Toma said:
Might have spawned in a dark cave in that area.
Ignore what I just said.
Just spawned in day time.. to saw.. him.
dzcm0y.jpg

No way he spawned in a cave or dark area (If he didnt spawn underwater)

WanderingWind

Ghasts' fireballs will kill your portal. Not the obsidian outline, but you will have to relight it with flint and steel.

On the other hand, Ghast volleyball is fun!

Toma

TheExecutive said:
cannot connect!?!??! NNNOOOOOOO..... is anyone else having this issue?

Yup. server finally crashed. Expected to happen. Just play offline I guess. (Hoping you already have the correct files)

owlbeak

Came out of my cave and look at THIS!

Not sure if the enemy spawning is bugged or not, but you're a dead man if you walk on the surface after dark now...

icRk2.png

avcables

Banned
I had to re-download the entire .exe and of course right when I do, the server goes down. So since I haven't technically logged in once yet, I can't play offline.

Jawesome.

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
For those having problems connecting just keep trying, It eventually goes through.

I disconnected to get the bug fix. I just connected like 2 minutes ago.

avcables

Banned
You could always open multiple copies of the game and continuously try to log in with all of them. I just did and it worked. :lol

WanderingWind

I think I'm going to leave hell for a while until some of the issues are either fixed or there is a reason to visit. It kind of sucks having mobs spawn all around you. Plus, until the uses for the block types become apparent, there isn't really any point yet.

Pretty cool for a visit.

Toma

My newly rolled world:

33eoe54.jpg

I cannot imagine all the wood I am going to harvest in that starting area.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Toma said:
My newly rolled world:

33eoe54.jpg

I cannot imagine all the wood I am going to harvest in that starting area.
had the same problem. one tree within a LONG distance.. I died and lost my tools :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom