• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vlad

WanderingWind said:
I think I'm going to leave hell for a while until some of the issues are either fixed or there is a reason to visit. It kind of sucks having mobs spawn all around you. Plus, until the uses for the block types become apparent, there isn't really any point yet.

Pretty cool for a visit.

I'm just waiting until the portal situation is resolved. Either I just don't get it, or they just don't work right yet. I made one portal by my spawn and, like everybody else, re-entering the portal made a whole other one in a different location entirely. Of course, it was night when I came back out and the tweaked spawn rates meant that I quickly fell to a hail of arrows.

Reading that it's only the first portal that does that, I constructed another one a fair bit away. It put me in the exact same Nether location as the first portal, and once again, re-entering the portal put me back in the first generated location (at night.... again).

I will say, so far the Nether is quite the terrifying experience. I haven't come across a ghast yet, but I did run into a pig zombie. I like how they won't attack you unless you attack them first. They make a heck of a racket, though. I kept hearing these horrible pained squealing sounds as I was digging through the red rock trying to find them. I haven't seen any of the large caves from the pictures yet, as the only Nether portal I've been able to come out of yet has been in the middle of a fairly small cave.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
At night, was sitting on top of my home. Saw zombies, skeles, and spiders spawn RIGHT in front of me. Spawning behavior is obviously modified.

Previously, when night fell enemies would spawn a certain range away from the player, then home in on the player's location. Now, I literally watched as an enemy popped into view, below.

But... it didn't come towards me. They didn't home in on the player at all.

Vlad

Jasoco said:
When you're in Hell, does time stand still in the real world? Or does it keep going?

It definitely keeps going. I entered a portal during the day and wandered around a bit. When I came out, it was the middle of the night. Problem is, the watch doesn't work, so it looks like it's going to be a good idea to make sure your portals are secure.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Oh, shit. Aim for the head on the pig zombies. One shot kills! Just took out a herd of the fuckers. Oh, and they sometimes will not attack you, sometimes they will.

Vlad

WanderingWind said:
Oh, shit. Aim for the head on the pig zombies. One shot kills! Just took out a herd of the fuckers. Oh, and they sometimes will not attack you, sometimes they will.

I wonder if there's a pack mentality thing going with them.. A singular one won't attack you, but in a group they're more aggressive, perhaps?

Nice little detail that I like: The skeletons are actually holding bows now.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Stryder said:
Has anyone else got SMP working with the update? I'm having trouble connecting to my server. :(

Server owner needs to upgrade the server or something

edit: @ WW... he's back...

As I said in a previous post -- I have turned on normal difficulty from my previously peaceful difficulty.

I died (from a bow and arrow skeleton). I heard that when you return to where you died you can pick up all your equipment. My equipment isn't there. Is this normal? Any way to prevent it from happening again?

owlbeak

WanderingWind said:
In the PC Gamer preview they said pig zombies were not aggressive unless provoked? Who knows.

ashbash159 said:
As I said in a previous post -- I have turn on normal difficulty from previously peaceful.

I died (bow and arrow skeleton). I heard you return to where you dies to pick up all your equipment. My equipment isn't there. Is this normal? Any way to prevent it from happening again?
Restart your minecraft client. There is an update that fixes a death bug. After that, if you don't get back to your stuff within ~5 minutes it disappears.

f0rk

Rolled a new world, made a wall for a new base, planning to build a glass tower to the sky. Hear noises all night, then when all the zombies have burnt I go out to find like 10 creepers/spiders left, had to run away so they despawned :<. Same the next day.

upandaway

Rolled another world just to try wandering around on Hard (to see just how much worse it is after the update). I wandered a lot and saw no enemies in daylight, and realized I have nothing for the night. So I deployed the greatest Minecraft strategy for the first night that always works:

oUbOI.png

Here it is again after about a minute:

KTewG.png

I heard SFX from all enemies and it sounded like there was more than one of each. This was not even the first half of the night gone.

TECHNICALLY I survived the first night. The morning came and I was unharmed. But only then in broad daylight, a skeleton fell on me and I died :lol but hey I did survive a night on hard with no items.

Stryder

Syth_Blade22 said:
Server owner needs to upgrade the server or something

edit: @ WW... he's back...
I am the server owner :) I've updated to the latest minecraft_server.jar and no luck..

edit: Got it working now, the server wrapper I was using wasn't compatible with the new update

Haunted

Alright, you guys convinced me, I just deleted my old worlds and re-rolled a new one. Biomes everywhere + not having a fortified stronghold. Let's do this shit.

Also; first comment on the halloween update on notch's blog:
Looks like the servers... *puts on sunglasses* WENT TO HELL

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

WanderingWind said:
Exploring my new world I came across this. I did not build this.

That's like the third or fourth time we're telling you it's herobrine. Why won't you believe us.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
WanderingWind said:
Exploring my new world I came across this. I did not build this.

Cool :D Make pictures where you come out.

Jasoco

Banned
upandaway said:
Rolled another world just to try wandering around on Hard (to see just how much worse it is after the update). I wandered a lot and saw no enemies in daylight, and realized I have nothing for the night. So I deployed the greatest Minecraft strategy for the first night that always works:

oUbOI.png

Here it is again after about a minute:

KTewG.png

I heard SFX from all enemies and it sounded like there was more than one of each. This was not even the first half of the night gone.

TECHNICALLY I survived the first night. The morning came and I was unharmed. But only then in broad daylight, a skeleton fell on me and I died :lol but hey I did survive a night on hard with no items.
You could make a piece of glass and then put it at the top there. You'd still see out, but nothing would fall into the hole, and if you can't get out the next morning, start digging in any direction.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Jasoco said:
You could make a piece of glass and then put it at the top there. You'd still see out, but nothing would fall into the hole, and if you can't get out the next morning, start digging in any direction.

A piece of glass? He doesnt seem to have ANYTHING. :D Meaning nothing to burn sand or build a furnace with.

Haunted

You just need to mine 12 blocks to be absolutely safe.

Three blocks high, enter the middle.
Code:
 X
X X
 X

Takes about 20 seconds to do with dirt or sand.

Verdre

Unconfirmed Member
DWIpB.jpg

The portal I built is up on that mountain in my fortress. The portal I came out of hell in is the one farthest away. I have no idea how the one closest to me got there. Stumbled across it after I died in hell and was walking back.

r1chard

Wow, with the new spawn rates moats just became way more important. My new moat trap system just netted more in one half of a night than I'd netted in several nights previously.

Yay for more dynamite :)

Toma

Haunted said:
You just need to mine 12 blocks to be absolutely safe.

Three blocks high, enter the middle.
Code:
 X
X X
 X

Takes about 20 seconds to do with dirt or sand.

Well enemies still could technically spawn on top of your pillars, falling down. But yeah, it keeps the risk at a minimum.

Toma

epmode said:
I just had all of my inventory disappear after I drowned. Shouldn't it have just dropped?

Bug. To be fixed tomorrow.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Herobrine's shenanigans notwithstanding, I decided to look around my world. Check this shit out.

Notice behind the sheep.

Up close and already lit for picture purposes

And on the inside

And if you notice on the second picture, down under the water the faint light? It leads to this.

Haunted

Toma said:
Well enemies still could technically spawn on top of your pillars, falling down. But yeah, it keeps the risk at a minimum.
Never had enemies spawn this close to me but with what I'm reading about the new spawn rates in here, who knows.

My idiot-proof first night survival strategy is in danger! :eek:

WanderingWind said:
Herobrine's shenanigans notwithstanding, I decided to look around my world. Check this shit out.

You've been playing in SMP all along!

1278637175332.jpg

Toma

Haunted said:
Never had enemies spawn this close to me but with what I'm reading about the new spawn rates in here, who knows.

My idiot-proof first night survival strategy is in danger! :eek:

Well, mobs still cant spawn on the exact place you are standing on. Just dig a hole and cover it with dirt for the first night I guess.

Toma

SmokingBarrelX said:
Couldn't the day spawning just be a bug?

It could. But since we are all playing now we consider it as part of the gameplay =P

Haunted

Toma said:
Well, mobs still cant spawn on the exact place you are standing on. Just dig a hole and cover it with dirt for the first night I guess.
I like to stare at the night sky while waiting for that terrible first night to pass. >_> <_<

^_^

Toma

Haunted said:
I like to stare at the night sky while waiting for that terrible first night to pass. >_> <_<

^_^

Btw I dont get why people are so afraid of the first night. By the end of the first day I have my first rudimentary home set up, complete with torches. Well most of the time anyway. If you are not spawning in the middle of a FREAKING HUGE DESERT WITH ONE FUCKING TREE.

Haunted

Toma said:
Btw I dont get why people are so afraid of the first night. By the end of the first day I have my first rudimentary home set up, complete with torches. Well most of the time anyway. If you are not spawning in the middle of a FREAKING HUGE DESERT WITH ONE FUCKING TREE.
Oh you're so boring. I make it a point to not mine coal until the second day. Spending one night cowering in fear is part of the initiation into a newly rolled world! :eek:

But seriously, if you have even a basic grasp of the game mechanics, it literally takes less than 2 minutes from spawning to be completely set up for safe nights and mining operations. But that's boring so I avoid doing that.

I think spawning in the dessert, or tundra, or whatever is fun because you have to survey the horizon and pick a direction you think will have the most wood, and you need to do it fast!

Toma

Haunted said:
Oh you're so boring.

I make it a point to not mine coal until the second day. Spending one night cowering in fear is part of the initiation into a newly rolled world! :eek:

Yeah, if you have even a basic grasp of the game mechanics, it literally takes less than 2 minutes from spawning to be completely set up for safe nights and mining operations. But that's boring.

:lol I didnt know that would be considered to be in the Gaf Minecraft Codex :lol (Alongside not playing on peaceful of course) But okay, if thats the way to go for us.. New world, first night in darkness here I come. :D

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Toma said:

You've never spent the entire day running about and not finding coal until after the sun sets ;_;

epmode

So I've had the client just close on me about three times already. I keep all of my inventory but the stuff that I've done to the world reverts. Trees are still up, blocks not broken, etc.

Anyone else or is it just me?

Toma

epmode said:
So I've had the client just close on me about three times already. I keep all of my inventory but the stuff that I've done to the world reverts. Trees are still up, blocks not broken, etc.

Anyone else or is it just me?

Exiting by saving works. If you close the game without saving you keep stuff in inventory but the world is being reset. Confirmed in my world.

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
So fish catching is slightly bugged.

I go to fish and when you catch one it throws it at you, Or atleast trys to. Just sent a fish up into space i think :lol

Verdre

Unconfirmed Member
Metalic Sand said:
So fish catching is slightly bugged.

I go to fish and when you catch one it throws it at you, Or atleast trys to. Just sent a fish up into space i think :lol

Yeah, they generally land somewhere far behind you

The Nether is fucking HARD. I have died within minutes unless I dig my way underground and basically hide. I hope to god nothing spawns underground in my caves.

Edit: My gate also placed me on a small floating island with a huge drop on every side. Loaded with pig zombies. The pig zombies kick the shit out of me. It took me about a half an hour of dying to build a corridor down to a larger area.

I love the sunset lighting.

I spawned in a huge area of sand dunes with caves inside them everywhere.

Also I do not know if this is new or not but F1 and F3 on the keyboard get rid of the HUD and display information about performance of the game.

gFq8D.png

j5gNP.png

Haunted

ashbash159 said:
I love the sunset lighting.

I spawned in a huge area of sand dunes with caves inside them everywhere.

Also I do not know if this is new or not but F1 and F3 on the keyboard get rid of the HUD and display information about performance of the game.
F1 removing the HUD is new, F3 displaying lag spikes and performance isn't.

Also, looking at your almost unnoticeable lag spikes compared to my super-frequent humongous ones is making me consider re-checking my internet connection/settings. :(

edit: oh wait no, F6 did that before.

Toma said:
Okay my first night:

3x3 unlit Minibuilding ... under Ice :D
Ha, that's awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom