• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bread

Banned
I made the mistake of going into hell with all of my stuff in my inventory pre-update, and I lost it all when the few ghosts ganged up on me.

So I rerolled and found a cool place with a peninsula near my spawn, so I turned that into an island and I'm building a treehouse on the island :D

I'm going to stay out of Hell for a while, there isn't enough useful stuff to bring back to make it worth the trouble.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Most of the insane-r sound effects during that Youtube video are of when the Ghasts accidentally float through lava falls and set themselves alight and scream in pain.

I am really not comfortable with the Nether realm. I built a makeshift base in there last night with a tree and a storage box, but every time I ran to it the Ghasts kept shooting at me so now the route to it is blocked by fire.

This place is horrible! :[

In case it hasn't been confirmed, that update did fix the disappearing stuff bug. I suicided with some dirt to check it out. It works properly,

Does that include stuff you've dropped in the Nether too?

Bregor

Sure, just place the water nearby so that it flows over the Lava.

Don't try this where you find the lava btw, when you try and mine it, the results will fall into the lava below it and be destroyed. Use a bucket to pick up the lava and move it to a form, then place the water to flow over it.

Haunted

It's possible to make source water blocks by making a 3x1 pool and filling the left and right side (middle one automatically becomes a water source block), but that doesn't work with lava, right?

Just making sure.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Unless that was changed in the update, lava blocks can't generate lava source blocks in the same way water does, if at all.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
SovanJedi said:
Unless that was changed in the update, lava blocks can't generate lava source blocks in the same way water does, if at all.

Still the same.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Has Notch said anything regarding his stance on spawning?

I really wish survivial had some kind of creatable or movable spawn point. Maybe you make a flag, or something, and can only make one of them, and wherever you put it is where you will spawn when you die.

With such a huge world as it is, and now biomes and portals encouraging exploration, its odd that we cant change where we spawn. Being tethered to the starting position seems detrimental to exploration and travelling.

First impression:

The deep mine beneath my hub is no longer safe. There are monsters infesting it, and its really well lit. Clearly that's no longer enough.

More things are spawning on the surface.

The world is scary again.

besada

Banned
Just had my first crash, which wiped out thirty minutes of engineering a way up from the watery depths where my portal put me. Grr.

EatChildren said:

I really wish survivial had some kind of creatable or movable spawn point. Maybe you make a flag, or something, and can only make one of them, and wherever you put it is where you will spawn when you die.

With such a huge world as it is, and now biomes and portals encouraging exploration, its odd that we cant change where we spawn. Being tethered to the starting position seems detrimental to exploration and travelling.
Moveable spawn point = a bed
Set active spawn by placing a pillow on it

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
maniac-kun said:

Perfect.

Now do it, Notch.

Haunted

I think lanterns will make our mines and houses safe again.

Too bad they didn't make it into this update, but the modified spawn rates did. oops!

maniac-kun said:
I would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

Vlad

EatChildren said:

He mentioned at some point playing around with different ways of handling spawn points, but there have been no specifics mentioned.

There really does have to be a good balance set for it. Part of the tension that the game generates comes from knowing that if you die and you're far away from home, you might not make it back before your stuff de-spawns. He can't make it too simple to generate them, or else you could easily just make a new one every few feet as you go into a cave.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Vlad said:
He mentioned at some point playing around with different ways of handling spawn points, but there have been no specifics mentioned.

There really does have to be a good balance set for it. Part of the tension that the game generates comes from knowing that if you die and you're far away from home, you might not make it back before your stuff de-spawns. He can't make it too simple to generate them, or else you could easily just make a new one every few feet as you go into a cave.

Unless you could only make one at a time, which would be a nice balance. You would be able to set your spawn point where you wanted. If it was made out of obsidian, then it would negate people just setting one up all willy nilly. You'd have to think about where you set it.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I'm thinking the new pink crystal ball is a spawn point?

WanderingWind

Saplings no longer have a high drop rate. Just cleared a path of 10 trees and only got around 5-6 saplings.

So, so far the things I liked and dislike about the update.

Pros:
-The Nether is interesting and very, very dangerous
-New music is amazing
-New crafting is always welcome
-Fishing!
-Pumpkins!
-No lanterns
-Iron is more plentiful, though you still have to look for it
-New block types are fun, though none are cool looking enough to use for anything
-The rapid travel system with the portals is going to lead to some really cool things
-Biomes, duh
-More mobs spawn overall. Mob traps are now useful!
-Night is now actually dangerous permanently, not just the first night
-Grilled pork drops now! Sweet!

Cons:
-Mobs spawning in the light. IMO, this breaks the game. I hope he changes this.
-Not much to do in the Nether so far
-New craftable items aren't all that useful
-Saplings are too rare, now. Not that big a deal, but I liked planting forests
-Seriously, fuck mobs spawning in the light.

Tntnnbltn

My new world's spawn point must be in a tropical rainforest biome.

vAs65.png

Above picture is before I cut away at anything. Goddamn, so much wood. It's behind some of the leaves too.

ZZMitch

I started a new world for the update last night and I just found my first record ever!

I was digging down below my spawn house and heard monster noises and encountered a cave probably 30 blocks below the sea. A skeleton starts shooting wildly at me from below and hits a zombie and a creeper. The skelly was protected on both sides by a rock formation and running water. The zombie fell easily and rhe creeper made hsssing sounds about four times but got caught in water one block from the skelly and could not advance because the skelly kept shooting it as it began to hiss. Eventually the creeper died, dropped a record and I scurried down and grabbed it!

Feels good man.

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
Lost all my mining equipment do to the bug last night :( Regular zombie snuck up on me and destroyed me.

Looks like ill be mining with gravel for alittle bit.

Tiktaalik

So is the issue of mobs spawning in the light considered to be a bug or new feature or a little bit of both in that mobs are supposed to be able to spawn in lighter areas and it's an issue because some peoples' castles are lit, but still a bit too dark in corners?

Tntnnbltn

Agentnibs said:
I decided to celebrate the new update with a new world!

:( It's gonna be a long night....
Worst case scenario, dig up a bunch of dirt and drop beneath you for an instant tower. Nothing is going to get you at 20 blocks tall.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Holy shit just got gangswarmed by five creepers near my spawn at night. That was the most terrifying thing I've ever seen, five of them hopping towards me...

.....I'm on top of a pillar of sand right now with two more of them at the base...waiting for the night to pass T_T

EDIT: Damnit, I only waited half a night, but my stuff was already gone by the time I got back to the point of my death.

Verdre

Unconfirmed Member
notch said:
evildrganymede Constantine Thomas
@notch the update rocks! Though spawn rates are v high now (lots of mobs in base in well lit areas on Easy) - is this bug or intentional?

notch
Markus Persson
@evildrganymede It's part of an intentional tweak, but it need balancing

So I guess monsters spawning in the light is on purpose, just not balanced.

kennah

If you have it, a stack of gravel is better for night. Build It up to the ceiling limit then farm flint for twenty layers. Kills time in a useful way to morning.

WanderingWind said:
Cons:
-Mobs spawning in the light. IMO, this breaks the game. I hope he changes this.

Mobs only spawn deep underground in the light, most other places are safe. This doesn't break the game, it makes it so that people just can't dig a hole down to bedrock and find diamonds 20 minutes into the game without some serious preparation.
If anything it helps balance the game progression more than break it.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Pinko Marx said:
Mobs only spawn deep underground in the light, most other places are safe. This doesn't break the game, it makes it so that people just can't dig a hole down to bedrock and find diamonds 20 minutes into the game without some serious preparation.

Personally, I dont mind the change. But on the first day, before the night came, I saw a creeper standing in water with no caves whatsoever.

n8

Unconfirmed Member
I'm hardly advancing through the mouth of this cave, and monsters come in by fives.

Man, this update is great.

WanderingWind

Pinko Marx said:

No, they also spawn on the surface in the light. At least it was last night. Haven't checked this morning. It breaks it because your very well-lit base underneath ground is now as useless as anywhere else. Just to check, I put torches every other square in my underground, near the bedrock base. Mobs still spawn.

Verdre said:
So I guess monsters spawning in the light is on purpose, just not balanced.

Cool.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Wow, the monster spawn rate is off the hook. My deep mine down at the bedrock is like a warzone now, even with it all lit up. I'm having to constantly stay on my toes. I actually took the difficulty back to easy for now, but apparently the spawn rate does not change with difficulty, because I'm still slaughtering mobs left and right. Kind of fun to be honest.

I think I'm going to go topside and wander the land, see if I can see some of these new biomes.

Jasoco

Banned
Question about the F keys for Mac users. On the Mac, the F keys don't act the same as they do on Windows. They perform two functions. One is a system function like volume, iTunes control, Exposé, etc.. the other is nothing, except in certain programs. Like Office or whatever.

Anyway, on my system I have DragThing set up to open certain apps when I press the F keys. Which of course overrides the MineCraft (Or other apps) F key functions. But DragThing as far as I can tell does not have a sort of "Exclude from these apps" mode.

Is there an alternate way to access these functions in MineCraft? Change the key bindings to a different key?

Blizzard

Banned
I also hope the spawn rate in the light gets toned down or what-have-you, at least for surface stuff. Also, Notch said on Twitter that armor doesn't work or something because he broke it in the emergency update...or did he fix that already? :lol

He also said he knew why the Nether gates were teleporting you or whatever, so that should get fixed.

owlbeak

I like the fact monsters will spawn inside deep bases. Makes doors and things much more useful. I recommend setting up a trap like I did with a pressure plate so if anything sneaks up behind me, it triggers the trap, and when it moves forward, falls into a pit of lava. :D

WanderingWind

Horsebite said:
I like the fact monsters will spawn inside deep bases. Makes doors and things much more useful. I recommend setting up a trap like I did with a pressure plate so if anything sneaks up behind me, it triggers the trap, and when it moves forward, falls into a pit of lava. :D
Actually, it makes doors useless because they can spawn behind them.

owlbeak

WanderingWind said:
Actually, it makes doors useless because they can spawn behind them.
Depends on where they are placed. You now have to be careful once you get below a certain point. For me, I put a door into a room before I start digging down. That way, they can't get out and nothing from outside can get in. Sure, they'll still spawn past the door, but that's not really the point...at least for me. The enhanced danger is fun for me!

WanderingWind

Horsebite said:
Depends on where they are placed. You now have to be careful once you get below a certain point. For me, I put a door into a room before I start digging down. That way, they can't get out and nothing from outside can get in. Sure, they'll still spawn past the door, but that's not really the point...at least for me. The enhanced danger is fun for me!

Eh, to each their own and all that, but I'm a dwarf. I live underground, only venturing outside to find new mine entrances. It sucks that the game is actively discouraging this.

I wish you could make a boat that could bust through ice. My main world was snowy, I'd love to sail out until I hit land I hadn't already been to and it gets warmer, but no dice.

owlbeak

WanderingWind said:
Eh, to each their own and all that, but I'm a dwarf. I live underground, only venturing outside to find new mine entrances. It sucks that the game is actively discouraging this.
I'm with you that I don't think they should spawn in well lit areas. Otherwise what's the point of building a fortress? But I don't really mind it so much, it just makes you have to section off your mine and separate it from your base just to be safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom