• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vlad

Mama Robotnik said:
The hell-dimension is beautiful, the scale is incredibly immense. Here's my shot of a Ghast commiting suicide.

ready.jpg

The realm should have been called something like T'Farcenim
MINECRAFT BACKWARDS
. Or not.

Grrrr... I still have yet to find anything like that in my trips to the Nether. Both portals I made ended up sticking me in these tiny little caves with the random pigmen wandering around. The caves just kind of dead-end in all directions eventually, and I've burned through a ton of picks building tunnels to try and find anything as interesting as what's in that picture, but all I've come away with are stacks and stacks of red rock.

Mike M

Nick N
So does EVERY material from the Nether burn until you put it out, or just what passes for topsoil?

'Cause I'm thinking that it seems pretty dang easy to build a portal way down deep and spawn in a cave where you can collect the red stuff unmolested by Ghasts. Then you could use it to build some epic bonfires or what have you. Seriously, who would need to expend material on lanterns when you can just pop a block of that down and set it aflame and not have it go out?

Granted you would have to be exceedingly careful about wooden objects, but I don't use wood blocks when mining anyway, sooooo....

BooJoh

It might also be worth trying lit jack-o-lanterns or lightstone, both of which should be slightly brighter than torches.

Vlad

Brannon said:
Could somebody PM me a link to the current Minecraft SMP server? I think I'm putting it in right but I'm not sure.

Well, there's no link, really, but the address is in the Minecraft thread on the multiplayer forum.

nataku

Anyone else noticing items just... disappearing?

I saved and quit the game about an hour ago with a stack of torches and about 40 sticks, and now both are gone. I didn't crash or anything this time, I exited the game just fine.

EDIT: Ugh, my stack of coal is gone too. Too many bugs in this release...

Also, I didn't die. It's not that bug.

I also seem to have got some items back, somehow. The iron I used up before is now back in my inventory in it's raw ore form.

Tiktaalik

Rolled a new world and spawned in an extremely forested area. Digging around the rocky outcroppings nearby I thankfully found some coal pretty quickly. I've made a little mountain base and discovered a large cavern underneath. Lots of coal and iron. Perhaps I'm just lucky but maybe there's more iron drops in this version? I feel like in my previous world it took me a while to find iron.

There's definitely waaay more creeper spawns. I feel like I'm fighting off 4-5 creepers every time I venture out in the morning.

Vinci

Danish
I desperately want to try the update, but stupid business trip has me unable to for now. I envy you guys, even if it is screwed up a bit.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
:lol Awesome. You should just walk silently up to people and go "SSSSSSSSS" a lot. You'll be instantly popular.

The Hell dimension is actually quite managable. The real threat is the Ghast, but in an act of incredible balance, they are utterly unable to penetrate or damage cobblestone. They cause significant area-damage to some other materials, but cobblestone is immune.

They also cannot see through glass.

helltamed1.jpg

helltamed2.jpg

All those reserves of cobblestone, finally being put to use!

The Pig-Men are fascinating. They carry swords but never attack unless you do first. They sometimes accidentally set themselves on fire, and shrug it off. They seem to stand at the Portal in solice (at least on my file), and huddle around structures I am building as if they are somehow defending them.

allies.jpg

Their AI is certainly different to all the other non-evil mobs. I want to bring them back to the real-world.

Jasoco

Banned
nataku said:

I saved and quit the game about an hour ago with a stack of torches and about 40 sticks, and now both are gone. I didn't crash or anything this time, I exited the game just fine.

I also seem to have got some items back, somehow. The iron I used up before is now back in my inventory in it's raw ore form.
Check your Hard Drive. It might be showing signs of death. Since it sounds like it is rolling back or not saving.

Ferga

can you freeze water?

my new world is snowy but there are some huge holes of water in the middle of my frozen lakes

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
This may be old to some but i just figured out some interesting things with my somewhat open lava entrance to my base.

Snowballs thrown through it = fireballs! They will set fire to enemies if i can blindly hit them. Also arrows shot through a lavafall become fire arrows! You could possible build a strategic lavafall in areas to have yourself some fiery goodness.

Edit: They dont set fire to enemies after more testing :( I just assumed so.

jambo

I've built a 4 storey home, but it's mostly empty. I really want to make a library on one level and a bedroom on another. And I was thinking I might make a roof top pool.

Also I'm building a dock for a fleet of boats. And I've just started making a tree farm. Ooh and I want to build a farm or greenhouse.

Minecraft has me.

Ferga

So i created a new world and saw this huge black column next to a mountain:

ZpMdM.png

Thought it was obsidian so i went to investigate. I walked into it and my whole character turned black.

Bjtjc.png

is this a bug/glitch or do shadows really work like this now?

Mama Robotnik said:
The Pig-Men are fascinating. They carry swords but never attack unless you do first. They sometimes accidentally set themselves on fire, and shrug it off. They seem to stand at the Portal in solice (at least on my file), and huddle around structures I am building as if they are somehow defending them.
They also don't get mad if you ignite the block they're standing on. I've killed quite a few that way, although it seems you might not get their drops from that method.

I'm a huge fan of the Nether... the atmosphere and sense of possibilities in there are amazing. I just wish there were more to do, or more gameplay reasons to adventure in there.

Verdre

Unconfirmed Member
Ferga said:

Thought it was obsidian so i went to investigate. I walked into it and my whole character turned black.

is this a bug/glitch or do shadows really work like this now?

Bug. If you reload, it should go back to normal.

D-Pad

My first time playing this. The game is a-MAZE-zing!! Tee hee hee.

I built a base but lost it. So I have to build another. I'm on peaceful cause I'm more an explore don't worry about monsters kind of guy, but I'm hearing a LOT of creepy ass sounds. Like this high-pitched SCREECH when I was mining underground. And then they'll be other spooky-ass music effects that cause me to high-tail it out of the area.

I miss my house.

I found this cool area though:
CETQJ.png

Behind me (when I took that shot) is a huge bowl of sand. I'm gonna build my new base here.

Atomski

I keep getting these black screens and when I come back stuff is randomly wrong. Like I made a long stair way. The starting is completely gone and the other half which I did later is still there. Getting pretty annoying.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Verdre said:
Bug. If you reload, it should go back to normal.

I dunno, I've had a region on my map that's been like that for ages, even before the patch. (Could still be a bug, but like it doesnt go away if i reload... it's kinda cool though)

Verdre

Unconfirmed Member
Syth_Blade22 said:
I dunno, I've had a region on my map that's been like that for ages, even before the patch. (Could still be a bug, but like it doesnt go away if i reload... it's kinda cool though)

Weird. Only started happening to me after the patch, but it goes away if I reload. Or I can clear it manually by destroying a block in the shadow.

Fusebox

Banned
If I setup a multiplayer server do my workmates need unique Minecraft accounts to log into it or is the MP stuff still all Alpha/free?

owlbeak

Ferga said:

http://imgur.com/ZpMdM.png[IMG]

[IMG]http://imgur.com/Bjtjc.png[IMG]

is this a bug/glitch or do shadows really work like this now?[/QUOTE]Happened to me too. If you mine the black block, a texture will appear all of the sudden on the whole thing.

Jasoco

Banned
Shawsie64 said:
Anyone know how big the update is? Im on mobile internet at the moment and would hate to go over cap =/
Unless your cap is a few hundred megabytes, you have nothing to worry about. It only took a few seconds to download so I would be surprised if it was even 50.

If it downloads where I think it does, mine is only 47MB all together.

Verdre

Unconfirmed Member
Shawsie64 said:
Anyone know how big the update is? Im on mobile internet at the moment and would hate to go over cap =/

I don't know 100%, but assuming Minecraft only downloads the new music and client files, it should only be around 20mb. But don't quote me on that.

D-Pad

aaaaaand I just died. :lol My game kept freezing and I accidentally walked off of a really high cliff. Hope I can find my way back...

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
Just noticed my save file is now 2-3MB's when it use to be like 16MB's. Happened after the .2 update fixing the inventory bug. World is fine just the save number is %75 smaller.

Belfast

nataku said:

As much as the bugs have pissed me off at times, I keep telling myself that I'm still playing an Alpha. Can't expect everything to be perfect all of the time.

Jasoco

Banned
It's never shown the correct size for me. My actual folder for that world is 28MB, but it always showed 19MB. At one point it was almost 40MB and it only said like 25.

Sciz

Jasoco said:
It's never shown the correct size for me. My actual folder for that world is 28MB, but it always showed 19MB. At one point it was almost 40MB and it only said like 25.
Notch's totals are kind of squirrelly, but that sounds more like the basic data size vs. size on disk discrepancy.

Haunted

Mama Robotnik said:
Anyone else getting a load of crashes with this new release, especially when maximising the screen?
Yeah, I usually resize the screen or go fullscreen, but that hasn't gone over so well since the update. I'm keeping it at the original size for now, that seems to help.

Ferga

Can you create a snowing world now? (snowing not snow on ground)

I've tried for the last 20 minutes and haven't gotten one

Tiktaalik

Tooooo many creepers.... It seems I die every time I venture outside of my mine.

I've also noticed that baddies spawn deep in my mine even in well lit areas. Pretty lame.

I've explored deeper and found a cavern with a lava fountain. I accidentally killed myself on it mining nearby iron. Doh. Fortunately I didn't have anything really epic that I would have cared about. Anyway with a bucket full of lava I should be able to make some obsidian and then I can make a gate to hell.

Anyone else find that the WoM client isn't working? For some odd reason I log in and the server list doesn't show and when I try the ones i've bookmarked it loads what I guess must be an indev map (same basic classic ui, but it generates a map that looks like the old alpha). IDK maybe this is just indicative of classic as a whole atm. Minecraft.net says there's only like 4 servers online and maybe 150 people playing at any given time.

Regular smp seems to be no more buggy than usual, except for the fact you can't tp back from the nether. Single player is flawless, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom