• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

mollipen

Maybe a silly question, but if I chop the wood from a tree and then re-plant a sapling where the previous tree was, do I need to clear out the previous tree's canopy, or will it die off by itself? Out of uncertainty/superstition, every time I cut a tree down I then spend the time to destroy every block of its canopy, so that I'm sure the sapling will end up getting proper light.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
TouchMyBox said:
So is the server filled with feiry demons taking out their wrath on brohill and colossus?

I need to get off work. :lol

Pretty much nothing changed in SMP. Redstone works, but that's it.

Haunted

shidoshi said:
Maybe a silly question, but if I chop the wood from a tree and then re-plant a sapling where the previous tree was, do I need to clear out the previous tree's canopy, or will it die off by itself? Out of uncertainty/superstition, every time I cut a tree down I then spend the time to destroy every block of its canopy, so that I'm sure the sapling will end up getting proper light.
Saplings needs 4 free spaces above him and sufficient light to grow into a tree, so if there's leaves blocking off the light (and the way) it actually won't grow.

On a related note, the climate in the various biomes does not affect tree growth, just the spawn. I just planted some saplings in a deserted... uh desert area with no trees whatsoever and they grew just fine.

AtlusAram

Atlus USA Developer
shidoshi said:

It's weird. A friend chastised me for wasting time getting all the leaves; he claimed they would die on their own. The next time I was careful to get only trunk and make sure it wasn't touching any blocks and indeed, the leaves fell. But I think it's inconsistent, or I'm missing some rule about it, because I've also cleanly detrunked trees and they weren't resting on any geometry and nothing happened.

Shrug.

Plaguefox

At Maru Mari, we celebrated the new patch by blowing up our old map.
I didn't tell the guy who made this floating tower. I hope he'll forgive me!

25zrsz7.gif

owlbeak

AtlusAram said:
It's weird. A friend chastised me for wasting time getting all the leaves; he claimed they would die on their own. The next time I was careful to get only trunk and make sure it wasn't touching any blocks and indeed, the leaves fell. But I think it's inconsistent, or I'm missing some rule about it, because I've also cleanly detrunked trees and they weren't resting on any geometry and nothing happened.

Shrug.
Supposedly that only works in Single player(?). But yeah, as long as the leaves are touching nothing but sky they are supposed to die. I harvest them anyway because if you plant a sapling it may not grow due to the shadow of the leaves.

Haunted

Plaguefox said:
At Maru Mari, we celebrated the new patch by blowing up our old map.
I didn't tell the guy who made this floating tower. I hope he'll forgive me!

25zrsz7.gif
damn

tears raining down from the heavens ;_;

JohnsonUT

Is there a consensus on which mode is better to play, single or multi? Obviously it comes down to preference, but which way is more popular?

Jasoco

Banned
Irish said:
X's Adventure into the Nether

Ok, the Nether is most definitely terrifying.
Hahaha, I can't wait to see the continuation. Hope he knows he just lost everything he had. He barely got to the surface. I didn't know portals in caves led to Nether caves. That's awesomely horrifying.

I just wish I could play with enemies. But I would rather wait until he fixes all the bugs and enemies show up only when they should. I feel right now it's too unbalanced.

My captured spawncages, dormant for weeks in full lit rooms, are spawning again. They have nine torches immediately surrounding the cage in a circle, the room is brightly-lit, and they're SPAWNING AGAIN.

Its like a skeleton breeding ground down there now. The monsters have taken over all of my mines.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Mama Robotnik said:
My captured spawncages, dormant for weeks in full lit rooms, are spawning again. They have nine torches immediately surrounding the cage in a circle, the room is brightly-lit, and they're SPAWNING AGAIN.

Its like a skeleton breeding ground down there now. The monsters have taken over all of my mines.

This is what happens when you get too greedy and dig too deep. Did the dwarves teach you nothing?

kennah

Full sunlight still stops cages from spawning, for what it's worth. Lovin my Feather Machine.

Also, monster reach is definitely extended. A creeper, with a full block in between us, hisses at me.

Irish

I don't really like the light thing. I think monsters should only spawn in unlit areas. Of course, with the torches going out, going back into old parts of your mine would feel like an adventure without making you feel as if you're never safe in your own home that would presumably be lit with the more "expensive" lanterns.

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
Mama Robotnik said:

This doesnt happen for me? odd... 4 torches surrounding the spawn cage then a few torches on the walls and ive never experienced a spawn while mining near by after the update.

Edit: 4 torches around the cage. 1 torch(2 for maximum safety) per wall of the square. Then 1 important one alot of people forget is the 1 torch at the entrance to the square.

You wont get any spawns after that.

Haunted

^^ which difficulty are you two playing on? (Metalic/Robotnik)

Mama Robotnik said:

That's so awesome. The halloween update is going all Moria on us. :lol

edit: that reminds me, with all this newly found company in your tunnels, did you finally get to see that slime?

Metalic Sand said:
Edit: 4 torches around the cage. 1 torch(2 for maximum safety) per wall of the square. Then 1 important one alot of people forget is the 1 torch at the entrance to the square.

You wont get any spawns after that.

I have more than that, I'm sure of it, and they keep zapping in!

Haunted said:
^^ which difficulty are you two playing on? (Metalic/Robotnik)

That's so awesome. The halloween update is going all Moria on us. :lol

edit: that reminds me, with all this newly found company in your tunnels, did you finally get to see that slime?

Normal difficulty, never changed this from day one.

As for that damned slime, I'm too scared to go looking! I understand Notch's private joke now, the intention of this Halloween update: We were all anticipating the Hell Dimension to be the focal point of terror, when the bastard has gone and upped the spawn rate EVERYWHERE. He's made the entire world dangerous again.

Scariest halloween gaming thing ever.

Sword Familiar

178% of NeoGAF posters don't understand statistics
Mama Robotnik said:
We were all anticipating the Hell Dimension to be the focal point of terror, when the bastard has gone and upped the spawn rate EVERYWHERE. He's made the entire world dangerous again.

Yeah, but he didn't just up the spawn rate on the monsters though. There are significantly more cows, sheep and chickens roaming around daytime than before, too, so I guess that's his way of saying "that evens it out" :lol .

CenLX615

Neo Member
Mama Robotnik said:
I have more than that, I'm sure of it, and they keep zapping in!

Normal difficulty, never changed this from day one.

As for that damned slime, I'm too scared to go looking! I understand Notch's private joke now, the intention of this Halloween update: We were all anticipating the Hell Dimension to be the focal point of terror, when the bastard has gone and upped the spawn rate EVERYWHERE. He's made the entire world dangerous again.

Scariest halloween gaming thing ever.

I stumbled upon one too. Had to place like 8 touches around the thing and had a torch on every square on 1 row around the walls before they stopped spawning. Even torches on every other square spawned mobs.

Maybe it's due to depth? One of the updates were more light further down to prevent spawns.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
I'm playing on Peaceful right now until the monster spawn issue gets sorted. I'm NOT afraid of challenge, but it isn't cool to see creepers spawn in broad daylight, on the surface.

Jasoco

Banned
GDJustin said:
I'm playing on Peaceful right now until the monster spawn issue gets sorted. I'm NOT afraid of challenge, but it isn't cool to see creepers spawn in broad daylight, on the surface.
Me too. I was hoping to turn my difficulty to Easy and play normally, but I'll wait until he sorts out the enemies and makes the game not unfair anymore. Especially since easy should be easy.

Haha, I killed a ghast!

Only took two hits with an iron sword -- it was stuck in a cave that I tunneled into, so I just charged it and won. It only dropped one gunpowder, though... kinda lame.

This update also seemed to introduce a bug in SMP (haven't tested it in single player) where you get stuck if you stand at the top of the map.

GDJustin said:
Is this only affecting certain people? I'm playing on normal on a new map, and the only monsters I've seen during the day all seem to be from the previous night.

Jasoco

Banned
Are the pumpkins going to be permanent? Because it seems like a seasonal thing, but whatever. We should get something for Christmas too. And at Easter maybe we could get colored eggs instead of regular ones. Or use the eggs we get and color them. And maybe at the 4th of July we get fireworks or something that when hit will shoot into the sky and explode. Making them dangerous if used indoors but safe if out in the open.

Also, the new music is pretty cool. I've heard two new songs and the extended version of the older piano one. As well as some stuff in the Nether.

nataku

Nothing worse than getting a black screen crash after building something huge and then reloading your save only to see what you built isn't there, but the game took all the materials you used to build it anyway.

I really wish there was an auto save feature... it's too easy to forget to hit escape all the time.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Metalic Sand said:
How do you find pumpkins? Is there a specific zone/region?

They could spawn everywhere. Just strap on your walking boots and travel a bit. Took me a few minutes a while ago.
Jasoco said:
Walk around until you find one. I found three so far. They're random. And rare.

I just found 5 on the same spot :D

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
It's funny how, even after MONTHS, Minecraft can still fuck with your head. I was making my way back to my home base, and I didn't take the right path. There was a big valley between me and my house and it was getting dark.

At first I was like "fuck now I gotta take this big detour around the ridge to get home." But then I was like "wait a second..." and this is the result:

F01n7.jpg

So simple, but so powerful. :lol No need to take a big detour when you can literally shape the world in any way you want.

Jasoco

Banned
Yeah. Occasionally they appear in clumps. Or alone. But it's still rare. Would be neat if you could harvest their seeds and grow them in a patch with farming.

pirata

WHY THE FUCK IS THERE A CREEPER IN MY LAIR? I HAVE TORCHES EVERYWHERE. FUCK. I HAD JUST FINALLY MAKE AN IRON PICKAXE AND WAS GOING TO MINE THE GOLD AND REDSTONE I FOUND DOWN THERE, BUT THERE IS A CREEPER RIGHT FUCKING THERE IN MY LITTLE TUNNEL LEADING DOWNWARDS.

I hope this creeper thing is a bug...it's kind of disconcerting when you're not even safe in your own house...

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Jasoco said:
Yeah. Occasionally they appear in clumps. Or alone. But it's still rare. Would be neat if you could harvest their seeds and grow them in a patch with farming.

I would be very eager to know whether we need to stockpile them if they are out of the game in the next update. It doesnt make much sense to leave every seasonal item in the game forever. Maybe he'll just raise the rarity even more.

Toma

Okay. Now THIS is spooky. I do not dare to go under that floating sand.

wmh3id.jpg

Floating... sand... anyone got an explanation that is not trap-made-by-monsters-to-kill-player-who-comes-near ?

owlbeak

Toma said:

http://i54.tinypic.com/wmh3id.jpg[IMG]

Floating... sand... anyone got an explanation that is not trap-made-by-monsters-to-kill-player-who-comes-near ?[/QUOTE]Only way to find out is to go stand directly under it and break a block of the sand and see what happens. :D

Mike M

Nick N
Toma said:

wmh3id.jpg

Floating... sand... anyone got an explanation that is not trap-made-by-monsters-to-kill-player-who-comes-near ?

Sand and gravel that for whatever reason are spawned above empty space stay there until you do something to it, then it remembers that gravity is supposed to effect it.

I've never seen it myself, so I don't know if that whole chunk will fall on you, or just a single column.

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
Mama Robotnik said:
Anyone else getting a load of crashes with this new release, especially when maximising the screen?

All the time. Its getting real annoying. Resizing is like %75 chance to crash it feels like.

Verdre

Unconfirmed Member
Mike M said:
Sand and gravel that for whatever reason are spawned above empty space stay there until you do something to it, then it remembers that gravity is supposed to effect it.

I've never seen it myself, so I don't know if that whole chunk will fall on you, or just a single column.

Depends how much sand/gravel is hanging. I found some in a desert biome, stood outside and destroyed a single block. Stood back and watched a giant wave of falling sand spread out.

Toma

Mike M said:

Ah okay that explains that.

Oh and I only placed a TORCH below the sand and this was the result:

v7w285.jpg

Everything came down, crushed me and took half my life. Then I drowned and lost oxygen while trying to swim upwards. Almost reaching the surface, a creeper came and blew me to shreds.

If THAT wasnt a monster-trap then I dont know what is.

The hell-dimension is beautiful, the scale is incredibly immense. Here's my shot of a Ghast commiting suicide.

ready.jpg

The realm should have been called something like T'Farcenim
MINECRAFT BACKWARDS
. Or not.

Mike M said:

Just a single column. I discovered this after building a second portal in hell, and ending up below a desert. Only it wasn't a desert but the seabed, and the ceiling collapsed and flooded the entire place when I tried to dig out. Now I'm stranded hundreds of miles away on a little desert island, and I can't even find the hole I swam out of to get back to the portal..

Also I keep getting sent to a second portal magically appear undeground whenever I return to my original one. This basically means I've got an infinite supply of obsidian, as all I have to do is go in my hand built portal, return and find myself underground from the new one, dismantle that one, and then when I repeat the process it reappears again rip for harvest. Bug or intentional?

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
Exploring the snowy wilderness for Iron. No that cant be?

lcDlQl.jpg

Time to move in...

NOjbul.jpg

Ohh fuck yes.

NTbjcl.jpg

Im coming for you creepers.

DmsYdl.jpg

Soon after it became night.

9X49Ll.jpg

Im not holding up, Out in the open for you creeper bastards. step into the circle of torches and you're dead

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom