• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tiktaalik said:
Tooooo many creepers.... It seems I die every time I venture outside of my mine.

I've also noticed that baddies spawn deep in my mine even in well lit areas. Pretty lame.

I've explored deeper and found a cavern with a lava fountain. I accidentally killed myself on it mining nearby iron. Doh. Fortunately I didn't have anything really epic that I would have cared about. Anyway with a bucket full of lava I should be able to make some obsidian and then I can make a gate to hell.
one bucket of lava can only give you one block obsidian. only a source block (a still block/source of fountain) turns to obsidian, and one bucket holds one source.

Just made my first Nether portal and now I crash a lot. Also my save file is 0.0MB. Also, going back through the portal sends me to a new portal the game creates. Probably the reason for the crashing. Ghasts suuuuuck!

Tiktaalik

fredrancour said:
one bucket of lava can only give you one block obsidian. only a source block (a still block/source of fountain) turns to obsidian, and one bucket holds one source.

So this is going to take me a while I guess. I gotta find a ton of lava fountains?

Sciz

Dgmrj.jpg

Not pictured here: The dozen ghasts that quickly descended upon my position, raining down endless streams of fire upon the already treacherous brimstone. Nigh-impossible to hit with either arrows or their own balls of flame on account of range, movement, and a hitbox that's quite a bit smaller than the model.

What I'd give for a hitscan weapon now. D:

But I did discover that you can plant cacti in hell, as long as you brought sand with you, as well as place snow blocks.

YourMaster

Tiktaalik said:
So this is going to take me a while I guess. I gotta find a ton of lava fountains?

Well, you'll need 10 for a Nether-portal, but after that you get as much obsidian as you'd like by returning through the portal and destroying the new portal(in the real world) that gets created.

You can also find obsidian deep underground.

JoeyX

Neo Member
Nether-portal takes 8 (Possibly 6).

(Using A as Air, O as Obsidian)

AOOA
OAAO
OAAO
AOOA

I haven't tested this but....

AOA
OAO
OAO
AOA

Might work too.

Belfast

JoeyX said:

AOOA
OAAO
OAAO
AOOA

AOA
OAO
OAO
AOA

Might work too.

Nope, 10. Even without the corners, it's still one taller than it is wide.

And the second one won't work.

MNC

Do the portal really take a person back to a random location instead of the original location? That kind of sucks :/

BooJoh

MNC said:
Do the portal really take a person back to a random location instead of the original location? That kind of sucks :/
Not exactly. I'm pretty sure what's happening is a bug that will hopefully be fixed.

Basically, when you create a portal and enter it, before you appear in the Nether, it has to make a portal in the Nether for you to come out of. In order to make sure you don't come out into a wall or lake of lava, etc. the Nether portal's location will be adjusted to a "safe" area. Here's where the problem is occurring: when you go back through the Nether portal, rather than sending you to the nearest portal sometimes it will fail to find a portal in the location corresponding to that portal in the Nether, and instead act as if you just created that portal in the Nether, so it'll create a new portal in the normal world, usually about 20-30 blocks away from the portal you made.

So it doesn't send you to a random portal, but it doesn't send you back through your portal that you made either, which really sucks after you spend a while building your portal into a fancy structure just the way you want it. Hopefully he'll fix this strange mechanic and just make it link the two portals.

I've made three portals in the normal world, and of the three, one of them sent me back to the portal I built instead of making a new one, so it doesn't always happen. I'm not sure if the first portal you make always works or if it's just luck.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Haunted said:
Oh, didn't see this mentioned: Notch announced on his twitter that the pixel artist he hired for the new company is junkboy, the guy who did these amazing demakes a while back.

Pretty cool.

No way! That's awesome. :)

I kind of want to see him remake the entire game's look now with his artstyle, though.

YourMaster

MNC said:

For me it was really far away, because the portal should have spawned above the grand canyon filled with lava. When I came back I couldn't even see my spawn/base or the towers of light I placed around them. The portal was destroyed in the Nether and when I tried it again I was placed in a deep cavern.

I put the game on peaceful to create a two way portal on the place I wanted by calculating and making a floating platform where the portal should have spawned the first time.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
JRW said:
So I finally finished a night & day mine cart ride in a Snow world ive been working on for the last few weeks, I finished it just before the Halloween update took place, Let me know what you think.

Standard def
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bx5pJ8xNiIc

-or-

720P Link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bx5pJ8xNiIc&hd=1

That was majestic. The
burning forest
made me gasp in amazement.

My only comment is that I think you should record it with the new sunrises in now for extra beauty.

thy_

SovanJedi said:
That was majestic. The
burning forest

My only comment is that I think you should record it with the new sunrises in now for extra beauty.

And a version with different (or no) music would be cool. (This video contains content from Sony Music Entertainment. It is not available in your country.) : /

Haunted

JRW said:
So I finally finished a night & day mine cart ride in a Snow world ive been working on for the last few weeks, I finished it just before the Halloween update took place, Let me know what you think.

Standard def
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bx5pJ8xNiIc

-or-

720P Link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bx5pJ8xNiIc&hd=1
Cockblocked in my country. Fucking Sony.

Maybe use freely available music next time. :) Worked well for the guy who made the minecart interstate video, too.

Haunted

JoeyX said:

AOOA
OAAO
OAAO
AOOA

AOA
OAO
OAO
AOA

Might work too.
Nope. These are the only two possible options for now, as far as I'm aware. (X being empty spaces)
Code:
X O O X
O X X O
O X X O
O X X O
X O O X

or
Code:
O O O O
O X X O
O X X O
O X X O
O O O O

Haven't played Minecraft for weeks, but thought I'd put some time in again now the update is out - I rolled a slightly snow-covered forest world and instantly saw a natural overhang, so I built a sky-house on the underside of the earth;

2010-11-01_125637.png

Then once finished I dug through to the top-side and built a temple to contain my nether portal (although I've yet to venture inside);

2010-11-01_132900.png

I'm loving the new music!

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Belfast said:
As much as the bugs have pissed me off at times, I keep telling myself that I'm still playing an Alpha. Can't expect everything to be perfect all of the time.

Good point, I keep forgetting that this game is an "alpha" version. Best $14 I've ever spent on a game, but technically we are just paying to beta test for someone!

I spent all afternoon yesterday exploring and mining this huge network of caves I stumbled across down near the bedrock. I literally got lost more than once, the size of this place is just awesome. I finally mined the obsidian to make my own portal, but I haven't made it yet. Instead I went trecking overland to explore some biome landscapes. I like the variety the biomes bring into the land now, it really creates some beautiful vistas and scenery.

I have a new goal in game now. I'm going to build a series of small bases in a few different directions from my main keep, each a little less than a day away from each other. Each one will have it's own mine, so that while I'm waiting the night out I can dig. And each location will be marked by a tall tower that reaches just below the cloud level. Eventually each tower will be capped with a lava lighthouse beacon, similiar to the one I made at my keep, but for now I'll just torch them up.

My save game directory is about to get alot larger...

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I really hope Notch can bring SMP up to the standards of regular Survival SP soon :D

How wonderfully amazing it will be :), Ghasts entering from Nether portals and destroying your wooden buildings!

I sort of want Notch to upgrade the Ghast's projectiles to make them explosive, with a 1-2 block radius.

Verdre

Unconfirmed Member
notch said:
Survival Mode Multiplayer is priority #1

I just finished moving minecraft.net to a new server, and it’s looking fairly stable. I fixed a few bugs with creative mode, so that should be working now as well.

Now I will rest for a few days, as I’m utterly exhausted. After that, I will get cracking on Survival Mode Multiplayer, as it’s still the highest priority for the game.

There’s a bug in there now where the cpu usage will shoot up through the roof sometimes, and I think that’s related to lighting. Immediately after the release, there was a hang bug where lighting would go into an infinite loop sometimes on existing loaded maps. I “fixed” that by making the loop always terminate after a certain number of iterations. My guess of what’s going on now is that the lighting probably keeps going into that loop over and over again.

The biggest features that need fixing are;

* Fixing the performance issues
* Health and working enemies
* Finishing up the inventory code so the dupe bugs/glitches go away
* Figuring out how to run both the normal world and the nexus in parallel.

I also want to make the portals able to teleport players between servers, both on different IPs and just to a different port on the same IP. Player equipment will follow through the portal and everything! (that will be agreed upon between the servers, so they don’t have to trust the client)

[edit:]

Oh, and the secret artist is Junkboy. Check out some of his stuff here:
http://www.wayofthepixel.net/pixelation/index.php?topic=10694.0

So fixing multiplayer will be the focus again

I just bought this last night, and I regret not doing it sooner. Hard to believe such a simplistic looking game can creep me out so much when the sun goes down. I cower in my 8x10 house, gazing off the roof at the enemies surrounding me. Although, I made flint & steel for the first time last night and accidentally burnt down a forest =(

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
notch said:
Now I will rest for a few days, as I’m utterly exhausted. After that, I will get cracking on Survival Mode Multiplayer, as it’s still the highest priority for the game.
"Still the highest priority" seems to imply that it was the highest priority before. Doesn't really jive with the very limited updates in the Halloween update, unless there was a lot done behind the scenes that we're not privvy (sp?) to.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
I think the option to visit other people's worlds should be on that list. I know connection issues might arise, but I think you can just limit it to one other player in your single-player realm and the stability issue should be fine.

Monroeski said:
"Still the highest priority" seems to imply that it was the highest priority before. Doesn't really jive with the very limited updates in the Halloween update, unless there was a lot done behind the scenes that we're not privvy (sp?) to.

He had been focusing on smp for every update prior to Halloween. I'd imagine it takes a lot more work to fix the kinks in smp then it does single player, too.

fresquito

Monroeski said:
It has been for the last months. Halloween update has been an exception to the norm.

iam220

So I've spent about a dozen hours with this game thus far and I see what the fuss is all about. Its addictive, and the cycle of gathering/building/exploring is very fun, even though at first it might seem like there's nothing worthwhile to do.

I'm excited to see what direction Notch takes this game with further updates but for now I'd really like some damn mod support. As of now, modding this game requires decompiling java and working with obfuscated code which is a giant pain in the ass.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
"I also want to make the portals able to teleport players between servers, both on different IPs and just to a different port on the same IP. Player equipment will follow through the portal and everything! (that will be agreed upon between the servers, so they don’t have to trust the client)"

Holy shit, that sounds amazing.

Haunted

I enter The Nether and this is the very first thing I see.

nZFxI.png

I mean, what the fuck. Those are some impossibly large caverns.

edit: stating the obvious, I'm also convinced that the yellowish blocks are for future lantern use as they illuminate their surroundings ever so slightly. That something built using their essence (the yellow powder) will emit a strong light is a logical leap to make.

edit²: apparently the crafting wiki has taken to call this "lightstone" - I like it.

JRW

SovanJedi said:
That was majestic. The
burning forest

Thanks, Thats a good idea Im thinking about redoing it with a different 2nd music track so that its not blocked in Germany as well, the only issue is im waiting for Notch to fix the snow issue, as of right now when I load the level its not snowing anymore =(

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
JRW said:
Thanks, Thats a good idea Im thinking about redoing it with a different 2nd music track so that its not blocked in Germany as well, the only issue is im waiting for Notch to fix the snow issue, as of right now when I load the level its not snowing anymore =(

I have been wondering if there's a difference between just having snow on the ground and icy water, and having those + Snow flakes falling.

Rolled a world that had the latter, but no snow flakes.

Haunted

Yeah, the halloween update removed any downfall. It'll be implemented completely, re-including rain and snow in a future update, apparently.

Ferrio

Banned
notch said:
I also want to make the portals able to teleport players between servers, both on different IPs and just to a different port on the same IP. Player equipment will follow through the portal and everything! (that will be agreed upon between the servers, so they don’t have to trust the client)

You guys realize what that means right? We'll be able to set up portals between our single player worlds!

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
I'm hugely late to the party on all this I know, but would it be unreasonable to want names for things in-game? I've got like 8 different blocks and shit if I know which is which half the time. A little hover when I place the mouse over it in the inventory, is that too much to ask!

Haunted

Tathanen said:
I'm hugely late to the party on all this I know, but would it be unreasonable to want names for things in-game? I've got like 8 different blocks and shit if I know which is which half the time. A little hover when I place the mouse over it in the inventory, is that too much to ask!
Not unreasonable at all. You'll learn the various block types soon enough when you keep playing, but a mouseover popup would be nice. Alternatively, the introduction to the various blocks could also be handled by the as of yet non-existent tutorial.

Until it's implemented, the wiki is your best friend.

Hugbot

Tathanen said:
I caved in this weekend and really wanted tooltips for about the first hour or two (of oh so many). Really, just spend twenty minutes on the wiki and get a feel for the tiering of different minerals and you won't need it anymore.

He does need to add them, though, it would have helped a lot getting into the game.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
I spent yesterday making a sky island by building a big dirt scaffold, placing a large dirt square near the skybox, and then starting a few water springs at the top that extend all the way down to the ocean. I then destroyed the dirt scaffold on my way back down, and will use the waterfall to get back up.

Fairly standard stuff, right? Well... here's where it all went south. :lol

So, I decide that I wanted the waterfall elevator to be sheathed in an outer layer of falling lava. I thought it would be cool for the water elevtor to be inside a lava tube. It would also double as a spawn beacon. But to keep it safe, I decided the lava would need to be between two layers of glass - an inner layer, and an outer layer.

So I get to work on a HUGE glass tower. Only one fall death, amazingly. When I ran back to collect my stuff it was EVERYWHERE on the ocean floor - a huge radius. It's like I exploded when I hit the ground :lol :lol

So anyway, onto the point of this story. I get the protective glass in place, and drop the first bucket of lava, and things IMMEDIATELY go wrong. I'm not sure exactly what happened but the lava didn't fall like I thought it would, and some of it was falling OUTSIDE of the glass. This first bucket was dropped right by my dirt tower scaffold. So I was in a low-speed chase, destroying the dirt block by block, trying to reach the bottom before the lava did. The lava was falling at about the same pace as I could destroy the dirt. :lol :lol

Anyway long story short I spent over an hour trying to clean up lava from ALL OVER the ocean, died multiple times from lava contact losing most of my good shit. The lava STILL isn't fully contained. And besides, once it IS fully contained, the base of the tower is going to be to be a random mish-mash of dirt, glass, and stone, erected to contain the lavafalls.

Not exactly the elegant construction I had intended. :lol :lol

Anyway, I only have one pic. After this I was too embarrassed/angry about this epic Minecraft fail to snap more. :lol :lol

So yeah... just imagine this pic, but with more lava around the outside, and a clusterfuck of blocks at the base.

p0Q71.png

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
I would love to invite all you GAFfers to see and climb all over my giant Stegosaurus statue in person (as such), so I hope the option to visit single-player worlds is implemented!

Promise you behave yourselves though.

So I played Minecraft a few months ago, didn't like it very much (or rather "I didn't get it") and never bothered with it again. Yesterday, I used the halloween update as an opportunity to give it another chance with a fresh mind and everything and now I'm hooked to the point where I want to skip every other daily duty to play with some pixelated blocks. Goddammit.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Just lost one of my precious diamond pickaxes trying to build a portal out of the Nether. Damn that area is unforgiving.

D-Pad

What is this? Are there monsters down there? Even on peaceful mode?

DDzQK.png

I'm so far away from the spawn point right now. I just traveled east for about 7-10 game-days straight, stopping only to make tiny bases with a chest of the treasure I gathered along the way. This stop I set up a pretty big camp, with a smelting stove and all, because I found a cave with lots of iron on top. Then I walk a few paces and started attacking this chicken and wound up uncovering... That...

So again, are there monsters down there? Looking in I don't see any but... Gah! I'm such a chicken when it comes to shit like this. :lol The dark noises don't help matters at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom