• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Visualante said:
Hey don't point the finger at me. I extended the waterfall near spawn yesterday because it was boring and it was quickly corrected because you're largely so anal about everything being perfect. I would take no pleasure in putting a penis on your stupid mega man or taking the diamonds from it.

I am purposefully building my stuff a good few minutes out of town because I know how much you babies make a fuss when someone changes something in a way you don't like. That's just from spending a few evenings on the server. "Oh some jerk built something on MY beach" as if you ever owned it in the first place.

As a griefer, every time you bitch and moan about something- you're just encouraging the griefers more. They get the kicks out of screenshots and stories about how victims lost their stuff. Deal with it quietly and you'll attract less people. I'd also suggest moving the entire thread to online. Don't build anything you're not afraid to lose- the game is only going to get worse when mobs get in and people start making TNT.
As someone who's spent a lot of time on the server i've never seen anyone say anything like that. If it was blizzard just ignore him.

Although i'm sure people would bitch if you messed with their structure, I haven't seen it happen yet with the exception of megaman.

PillowKnight said:
As someone who's spent a lot of time on the server i've never seen anyone say anything like that. If it was blizzard just ignore him.
It was in the thread, someone built a giant tower on a beach.

Twig

Banned

Dorrin

Any idea if this is playable on a really old PC? I'm talking single core 2.3, 1G Ram, Radeon 9800xt 128mb. I know its a terribly old PC but this looks like it would be fun to mess around with a bit with my kids helping me build.

epmode

Dorrin said:
Any idea if this is playable on a really old PC? I'm talking single core 2.3, 1G Ram, Radeon 9800xt 128mb. I know its a terribly old PC but this looks like it would be fun to mess around with a bit with my kids helping me build.
The earlier version of the game is playable in-browser (for free) at minecraft.net.

Metal Gear?! said:
http://news.bigdownload.com/2010/08/16/minecraft-survival-goes-to-multiplayer/

So does this mean that multiplayer is actually survival now or has nothing changed?
For all new info about the game, just stick to Notch's blog: http://notch.tumblr.com/

Dorrin said:
That looks like slightly worse specs than me, most of the time I run on the highest fog level and get mostly around 30-60fps, depending on surroundings.

CoolS

FUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCK.

Finally started my expedition into this cave I found. Turns out, it's an enormous undergound cave system. I take my time, build landmarks with torches so I find my way back out again (I got lost so many times, it's not even funny) Mined tons of iron coal and so on.
Then I see diamond! For the first time ever. Near lava. Slowly work my way down there, being very careful. Then I start mining diamond. I think I had 6 gems and was still exploring.
But then I thought to myself: "maybe you should go back to your house so everything is safe"
End of story: I wasn't carefull enough, fell into lava and all my awesome stuff burned away. I hate the world :(

Sciz

CoolS said:
End of story: I wasn't carefull enough, fell into lava and all my awesome stuff burned away. I hate the world :(
Moral of the story: Carry at least one bucket of water at all times.

Jenga

Banned
So how's the multiplayer going?

I was thinking of buying once he finally throws in mobs, I've heard a bunch of people claim SMP is creative 2.0 so far.

Vlad

Sciz said:

Secondary moral: Set up safehouses underground in large cave systems.

There's one absolutely huge cave area near my spawn that I've been exploring for a couple weeks now, and I've got around three areas there that have plenty of light, doors sealing them off from the rest of the cave, and furnished with a stove, workbench, and chest. This way, when I've got that "oh crap, I don't want to lose all this good stuff" feeling, I just go there and store my goodies for safe keeping.

ZZMitch

Vlad said:

There's one absolutely huge cave area near my spawn that I've been exploring for a couple weeks now, and I've got around three areas there that have plenty of light, doors sealing them off from the rest of the cave, and furnished with a stove, workbench, and chest. This way, when I've got that "oh crap, I don't want to lose all this good stuff" feeling, I just go there and store my goodies for safe keeping.

Third Moral of the story: You can place blocks on top of lava.

vermadas

HappyBivouac said:
No you can't. You can place blocks IN lava if there's a block to connect it to, but lava works the same way as water.

I think he meant you can place blocks on top of lava by placing blocks together horizontally across.

Code:
Before:
_      _
 |****|

Put block down to use as base for bridge/platform:
[u]#[/u]
 |****|

Make bridge
[u]#[/u]######[u]#[/u]
 |****|

Razorskin

----- ------
Visualante said:
I am purposefully building my stuff a good few minutes out of town because I know how much you babies make a fuss when someone changes something in a way you don't like. That's just from spending a few evenings on the server. "Oh some jerk built something on MY beach" as if you ever owned it in the first place.

I hope you're not referring to me as I have said no such thing.

Razorskin said:
Someone built a giant circular tower on my beach, oh well.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
The only time I got a bit annoyed is when someone plugged the exit to my tunnel, though they were most likely ticked off a tunnel ended in there little far off house :lol

I'm having a water management problem. I'm attempting to create a dock of sorts in the back of my castle, the problem is the water won't stop flowing and just even out. as you can see from the picture, the left is a very large lake which is my water source, and to my right is part I've dug out to be a small harbor. How can fix the water to stop flowing?

watatatata.jpg
[/img]

Sciz

funkmastergeneral said:
I'm having a water management problem. I'm attempting to create a dock of sorts in the back of my castle, the problem is the water won't stop flowing and just even out. as you can see from the picture, the left is a very large lake which is my water source, and to my right is part I've dug out to be a small harbor. How can fix the water to stop flowing?
As you've noticed, fluids don't actually behave realistically like you expect them to. Make a bucket and start filling manually.

So what Youtube video can I show to my friends that portrays everything that makes Minecraft awesome? Most of the videos are just "hey check out this thing I built!" but to me that's only a small part of what makes the game so great.

So far it's been a hard sell to most of my friends (a couple have bought it) because they suck. And I KNOW they'd like it once they got the game.

Blizzard

Banned
PillowKnight said:

Although i'm sure people would bitch if you messed with their structure, I haven't seen it happen yet with the exception of megaman.
It wasn't me, if you don't have my posts on ignore. :lol I only point out Visualante because he basically bragged about griefing (and getting kicked from) lots of creative servers, and says how much he'd like to TNT buildings etc.

It'll probably get better eventually anyway, and like creative mode, there may be support for builder levels and separate worlds where only approved players can do anything, with the free-for-all zone having anything-goes.

CoolS

Sciz said:

Wouldn't have helped, the lava was too deep :(

Vlad said:

Yeah, I'm going to do that from now on. Fuck, tninking about it still makes me sad about how stupid I was.

ijed

Ok - have read through last 75 pages - so much great stuff ... especially this:
superbank said:
t0lpqf.jpg

My new mousepad. :D Make your own by following these steps.
http://www.minecraftforum.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=20470

want T-Shirt of this - or any minecraft merchendise.
also love the papercraft generator
http://81.167.157.3/PaperCraft/
Papercraft pig is cool:
http://i904.photobucket.com/albums/ac250/Chhalo/Pigheadandlegs.png
http://i904.photobucket.com/albums/ac250/Chhalo/pigbody2.png
would love a sheep and a creeper too if anyone's found any links :)

Also need to hear more from Vinci about his progress on his dungeons - sounds like a great idea. Want to work on something like this - even finding some good randomly generated ones using cartographer and edit the maps to put them all together and connect them with pathways and signposts.

Also had a play around on a local server with a mate and SMP looks really interesting - the text chat/command interface is a really neat idea. I'm wondering how complex you can make scripts for it ... like could you script something like /shelter to spawn a prefab house around you or can you only spawn a kit full of all the items you'd need?

Also any keyboard commands I'm not aware of?
'q' - drop item
'f' - fog
f5 - 3rd person toggle
f11 - full screen toggle
1-9 inventory hotkeys

't' - text - only know the /iron command - any others built in or do they all need to be server scripts?

also - thankyou Notch and gaf for weening me off Demon's Souls - thought I'd never play another game again ... now will I ever be able to stop playing this? :lol

dejay

Banned
CoolS said:
Wouldn't have helped, the lava was too deep :(

Yeah, I'm going to do that from now on. Fuck, tninking about it still makes me sad about how stupid I was.

It's a lesson a lot of us learn the hard way. I pretty much have chests scattered all around the place, close to any dig site or inside any cave I'm exploring. When I found enough decent stuff I walk the 30 seconds or so back to the chest to keep it safe.

I kinda like the way the game forces you to be pragmatic about such things; it's a reflection on life I feel :D

Ashodin

So there's some dude copying Minecraft and it's called Manic Digger. The client is out there, it connects to Minecraft servers, and is generally a clone.

The wiki for Manic Digger got vandalized overnight :lol

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Maxrpg said:
So there's some dude copying Minecraft and it's called Manic Digger. The client is out there, it connects to Minecraft servers, and is generally a clone.

I wonder if that "clone" just uses the Minecraft source (which is apparently ridiculously easy decompiled).

Shawsie64

Banned
Maxrpg said:

:lol

just youtubed it

Pfff. Inferior, soulless, shameless clone.

Where do you guys find streams of people playing this? I'm in a minecraft mood but I feel like zoning out more than playing. :lol

stressboy

HappyBivouac said:
Pfff. Inferior, soulless, shameless clone.

Where do you guys find streams of people playing this? I'm in a minecraft mood but I feel like zoning out more than playing. :lol

justin.tv usually has some.

Maxrpg said:

It's pretty stupid considering Minecraft is just a copy itself

HappyBivouac said:
Minecraft brings plenty of originality of the table. It's certainly inspired by a few games before it, but it's not a copy.

I didn't mean it as a jab at Minecraft, but the early versions were pretty much Infiniminer with a different client. It's taken a long time for it to get where it is now. Either way, vandalizing the Manic Digger wiki just shows how immature some of the members of the Minecraft community are... It's my one turnoff for the game.

I don't pay much of any attention to "the minecraft community" except for this thread and Notch himself. Well, and youtube videos and the occasional stream. I'm not gonna go into any public servers once SMP is up to scratch.

Dorrin

epmode said:
The earlier version of the game is playable in-browser (for free) at minecraft.net.

I tried out the free version via browser using IE8 and was getting anywhere from 30fps to 125fps depending on surroundings with the view set all the way out(no fog). How does the free version compare to the full version as far system resources? Is the alpha you have to buy more intensive?

Dorrin said:
I tried out the free version via browser using IE8 and was getting anywhere from 30fps to 125fps depending on surroundings with the view set all the way out(no fog). How does the free version compare to the full version as far system resources? Is the alpha you have to buy more intensive?

I had similar worries because my notebook would stutter on occasion, but the full version runs fine. I haven't played much since the update, but it seems a bit slower now; though it could be my notebook dying.

Sciz

Awakened said:
New GAFLand Tour (Part 1)

After some difficulty, I got this up. I really don't know where New GAFland is, but in my mind I've always called the area around the newest spawn point that.
Oh good, I was worried no one had actually recognized my Mario fort. :lol

I considered building a dungeon of some sort beneath it, but SMP just doesn't hold that much appeal for me until the functionality gets brought up to par with SSP.

Man, this game is sooo addicting. I just bought it last night and since then I've dug a long deep running tunnel system and capped it off with a moated tower containing a torch-powered wheat field on the first floor, a greenhouse-like second floor (complete with red and yellow wild flowers I gathered from around the main entrance of my mines :lol ), and the top level is open with four growing cacti (that I'm harvesting for trap purposes), a waterfall to feed the moat (and look pretty), and a light-pillar (a stone pillar covered with torches that can be seen from forever and the current highest point I'm aware of). Built that last bit to help cut down on getting lost when I'm running home at dusk. Just need to get cracking on some buttons and iron doors to complete sealing off my network from the outside. I just can't shake my old Dwarf Fortress habits of building defenses atop of defenses, I don't feel safe with just wooden doors between me and the Zombies, Skeletons, and especially the Creepers. Fun shooting them with my bow from the top though!

Wrekt

Lonewolf_92 said:
Man, this game is sooo addicting. I just bought it last night and since then I've dug a long deep running tunnel system and capped it off with a moated tower containing a torch-powered wheat field on the first floor, a greenhouse-like second floor (complete with red and yellow wild flowers I gathered from around the main entrance of my mines :lol ), and the top level is open with four growing cacti (that I'm harvesting for trap purposes), a waterfall to feed the moat (and look pretty), and a light-pillar (a stone pillar covered with torches that can be seen from forever and the current highest point I'm aware of). Built that last bit to help cut down on getting lost when I'm running home at dusk. Just need to get cracking on some buttons and iron doors to complete sealing off my network from the outside. I just can't shake my old Dwarf Fortress habits of building defenses atop of defenses, I don't feel safe with just wooden doors between me and the Zombies, Skeletons, and especially the Creepers. Fun shooting them with my bow from the top though!
Jesus christ. I also bought it yesterday. I built a 6x8 house with a ladder to the roof, a giant diving board floating out above a lake and that is about it. You must be the rain man of Minecraft.

dNA.sequence said:
I didn't mean it as a jab at Minecraft, but the early versions were pretty much Infiniminer with a different client. It's taken a long time for it to get where it is now. Either way, vandalizing the Manic Digger wiki just shows how immature some of the members of the Minecraft community are... It's my one turnoff for the game.
Well Notch has said that he was originally inspired for Minecraft by playing Infiniminer and wanted to do a similar concept on a much grander scale. I think the difference with Manic Digger is that they're actually stealing Minecraft's source code and just making changes to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom